The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 11:56:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 424025 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1425 on: July 03, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »

Thanks, but its not mine. the pics were sent to me by a collector friend who had acquired and restored it..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1426 on: July 04, 2009, 01:55:47 am »

You want a truly spectaular watch, in a steampunk vein? Try the Patek Star caliber 2000 hunter pocket wacth (in rose gold, would be nice) pocket watch
Price? $7.5 Milliion, and only four are made every year.  (and you get a custom made box for it, too  Grin )

Features:

Caliber Star Caliber
Manual Winding Movement
Case in 750 yellow, white, or rose gold or in 950 platinum
Diameter: 73.20 mm
Height: 32.30 mm
Weight of gold case: 280g
Weight of platinum case:  364g
Dial: enamel
Functions: In addition to displaying mean solar time in hours, minutes and seconds, the Star Caliber 2000 provides 21 additonal indications, which has as features.

Running equation of time
  Time of sunset
  Time of sunrise
  24-hour day/night display with passage of the sun
  Perpetual calendar
  Date
  Leap year cycle
  Day of the week
  Month
  Season
  Sky chart
 Lunar orbit
  Moon phases
  Power-reserve indicator for the movement
  Power-reserve indicator for the chime
  Bidirectional winding
  Precision adjustment of movement from the outside
  Pendant push button for opening sprung covers
  Westminster chime in passing on five gongs
  Minute repetition on five gongs
  Chime in passing is blocked when mainspring is run down

Cheers
Harold
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1427 on: July 04, 2009, 05:48:05 am »

*drops monocle*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #1428 on: July 04, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

What a staggering piece of machinery.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #1429 on: July 04, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »

What a staggering piece of machinery.  markf

with a staggering price! Id want it to freeze time to justify that tag  Undecided

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
SimpleComplex
Deck Hand

Head engineer aboard the Scorpionus.

« Reply #1430 on: July 04, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »

.....im gonna go buy some lottery tickets..ahhahaha..if i win watch=mine..IF i win..(left post up for 3 hours before posting) Aww i lost..that sucks.

"Rookie, who's arm is stuck in this gear?"
"That guys?" *rookie points at dead body missing arm"
"Correct, wait, there's really an arm in this gear?"
"Yea"
*rejoices*"I'm not crazy anymore!!"
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #1431 on: July 05, 2009, 12:56:27 am »

we can all dream; thought it would help if I actually bought one
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1432 on: July 05, 2009, 01:50:30 am »

Don't get me started on the maths of lotteries... Grin
Cheers
Harold
SimpleComplex
Deck Hand

Head engineer aboard the Scorpionus.

« Reply #1433 on: July 05, 2009, 02:20:58 am »

..oops sorry Cheesy
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1434 on: July 11, 2009, 04:40:08 pm »

Thought I'd share some pics of my watches while my camera is still working:

These are three of my watches - I have a fourth, but I'm not sure where it is (It's quite a nice one too, belonged to my Great-great-grandfather  Sad  ). The first is a ladies pocket watch owned by my great-great-grandmother (silver hallmark shows 1862 I believe) and is a non runner. The second watch is my Grandfathers, circa 1900, and is running, but needs work.  And the last is a watch I found during renovation work at a house - think this one dates to 1882. This one is also missing the minute hand and is a non runner (can't be wound up).

Anyone know any details about the watch I found (third watch)?  Seems to be quite ornate, and is surprisingly large and heavy compared to the watch from 1900. Also the watch is signed with what looks like "Harris Deutch" - tried google, but other than a couple of watches in auctions with that name, I found no info about the maker.

Here's some more pics:

Face with glass open:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inside with dust cover removed:

Close up of the workings - the little silver cog wheel seems to be slipping, so as the watch is wound, the mechanism to hold the spring doesn't work, so the spring just releases back through the key.:

Other side of workings:

I can post pictures of the other watch movements if anyone is interested. Smiley

SS

[Server Prayer]
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1435 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:22 pm »

That is certainly an interesting watch. I'll have to research the maker, as that doesn;t ring a bell. The only West Hartlepool watch makers I know of  are Smith and Hind, and William Eaton.   There are a few clues as to its age, though. The style of balance cock suggests its after 1810, and before 1860, and the undersprung balance narrows that down to around  1850. It also appears to be a fusee, although it's hard to say from the one side view. it is of course, key wind and key set..

I'll do some digging. That's a very nice bit of horological history, though..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:50:12 pm by HAC » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1436 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »

Cheers Harold. Smiley

Yeah, I think it's a fusee - assuming I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing... (sliver chain wrapped around a drum, leading to a cone shape).

Here are a few pics that might clear that up:

It was hard to get a decent pic of the chain as the crystal was in the way.....ahhhh - then again, the crystal is loose, and I could have just popped it out... Doh! *face palm*  Roll Eyes

I looked a little closer at the movement when trying to wind it - the cone part just turns inside the two thin lower cogs, and the cogs stay still, but the spring feels healthy enough.  I've found a watch repair place nearby that is willing to take a look at it, they are Rolex certified, so they should be able to manage a pocket watch. I hope. Smiley

Let me know if want pics of anything else. Smiley

Oh, and here is a pic of the ladies pocket watch movement, the hallmark on the case indicates 1862 (if I'm reading it right, it's hard to see). The watch is going to need a full rebuild, it's pretty grubby / battered (even the dust cap doesn't close properly any more...) and the balance wheel is loose / broken.  Undecided  Doesn't look like a terribly accurate movement either...  Cheesy

SS
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1437 on: July 11, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »

Yep.. Fusee, for sure, and with an intact chain!.. (very few places can repair or repalce the chain, nowadays, its a bit of a lost art) Fantastic find!
To my mind that watch is well worth restoring, a working fusee is a thing of joy..
I'll try to narrow down the maker..

Cheers
Harold
Captain_MacNamara
Snr. Officer

Doktor Ordo Von Warcliffe

« Reply #1438 on: July 12, 2009, 12:28:36 pm »

The Ladies movement *looks* like an early Waltham to me, but I could be wrong. I had a very similar Waltham movement myself which was unfortunately beyond repair.

Lemme know if you want to get rid of any of them :p

"He who sacrifices Freedom for *Security deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1439 on: July 12, 2009, 08:48:26 pm »

That ladies watch  has a 'bar-style" movement, and is most likely Swiss or French. That style of movement was seen in the 1840-1880 timeframe, so a date of 1862 is most likely correct. Looking at the balance wheel and escapement also suggests that the 1862 date is correct (a solid balance and cylinder escapement would be appropriate for that nationality and timeframe).

The hardest thing on that one will be the balance shaft, if it's broken. Other than that, looks like its a good candidate for some TLC.

Cheers
Harold
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1440 on: July 12, 2009, 10:09:31 pm »

The hardest thing on that one will be the balance shaft, if it's broken. Other than that, looks like its a good candidate for some TLC.

Yeah, that thing is pretty much just floating about in there (it was jammed under the side of the case when I first opened the watch up...).

Good to know on the date though, the date stamp was a little indistinct, so I wasn't sure I was reading it right. Smiley  After a carefull clean up of the back cap, I found some VERY small and faint signatures and numbers (possibly dates), which you can only just see if the light is catching in just the right way. Looks like each watch repairer has left his mark over the years.
Looks like one of the 'signatures' says "el Jammed Ticker" however...   Cheesy

SS
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1441 on: July 19, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »

so my Charles Hubert Paris watch from Gentlemen's Emporium stopped working (cheap chinese movement) a while back.  It had a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer so I'm sending it back to them. I hope they'll honor it and not claim that I dropped it or tampered with it or something (I didn't).  I'll keep you guys posted--if they do honor it, I'd say those gentlemen's emporium watches are worth purchasing.  If they don't, it might not be the best idea. 

Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1442 on: July 22, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

Yes, thanks to the link Zwack posted, it seems the average going price is US$67.

Even worse on the antiques shop front is that this is Canberra. Established 1927. Rubbish from the 1940s is currently deemed rare and valuable...  Tongue

Thanks for the help - I shall let the people in the shop know!

My experience  - I have broken the straps of more wristwatches than I can remember - even good quality ones. The one pocket watch I did find was based on an electric wrist movement. It didn't have a strap to break but the battery kept falling out and rattling around the case ( yes I tried duct tape - didn't work). Because of this I have been looking for a hand wound pocket watch for a very long time.  I paid the equivalent of $200 aus to buy my Elgin Grade 73 18s 7 jewel made 1889 in a silver case. We were able to talk down the price of it and the accompanying sterling chain and fob so didn't pay near to the asking price for the pair. While this is a lot more than the $67 quoted above, I was able to pick it up and examine it, confirm it ran, and walk out of the shop with it - no waiting for shipping and getting a piece of crap that photographs well. I paid about the same to have it professionally cleaned <plug>http://www.kayaswatchandclock.com/first.html</plug>.

As an investment piece, I probably paid too much, as a watch I intend to carry every day for the rest of my life - I'm more than happy with the price.

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1443 on: July 22, 2009, 06:04:21 pm »

Good stuff, and for what its worth, Kaya does first-rate work, and is highly recommended..

Cheers
Harold
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1444 on: July 22, 2009, 06:35:25 pm »

I live in south eastern ohio and am looking for a watch repair place to see if they can get any of my old watches (I have two elgins a waltham and a very old one of unknown make) back into working order.  I'm assuming it'll be a couple hours drive to find a place no matter what, but I'm having trouble finding one at all--google is no help as looking for "watch repair" brings up anywhere that'll replace a battery.  Can anyone help me find somewhere?
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1445 on: July 22, 2009, 10:15:31 pm »

You could try the NAWCC directory...

http://www.nawcc.org/business-directory/

A quick search points to...
City Bank Antiques
115 South Water Street
Kent, OH
330-677-1479

or the AWCI

http://www.awci.com/

They list 15 people in Ohio. 

I hope that this helps,

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1446 on: July 23, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

You could try the NAWCC directory...

http://www.nawcc.org/business-directory/

A quick search points to...
City Bank Antiques
115 South Water Street
Kent, OH
330-677-1479

or the AWCI

http://www.awci.com/

They list 15 people in Ohio.  

I hope that this helps,

Z.

It does, the second site reveals one place that's a mere half hour drive away instead of the 3-4 hours the rest of 'em are ("in ohio" does not mean "near me")   Thanks!
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1447 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:32 pm »

I'm glad it was some help.  I'm not really all that sure of the geography of the US myself... so I was using the subtle clues like "I'm in Ohio" to see what I could find.  I don't know much about the AWCI, but the one local to me person that they list is very good.  He's fixed three Elgins and a Swiss Cylinder movement of unknown make for me. 

Hopefully you will have similar luck.

Z.
Jhalverson
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1448 on: July 25, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »

I just acquired a few myself, and I was wanting the rest or the forums opinion. They belonged to my great grandfather, who worked for the railway, and I can't find any information on the actual model.
They're both from the Illinois Watch Co.
This one is a Bunn Special, 21 jewels, adjusted for temp and 6 positions. The serial number puts it made around 1923
The other is an A Liucolu, also 21 jewels, adjusted for 5 positions, with the serial number placing it around 1910.

Any extra information anyone could give would be much appreciated. Hope you like.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1449 on: July 25, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »

I'm afraid I know almost nothing about watches...

But if you turned the flash on the camera off, and worked in a fairly brightly lit area you would probably get better photos.  The photos of the dials in particular are pretty hard to make anything out.

Z.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: