The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 19, 2020, 12:25:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 424027 times)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #1400 on: May 25, 2009, 05:42:25 am »

Great collection, and great photographs!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer
United States United States

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #1401 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »

Here here! Nice little collection you have going -- don't knock it.

It's certainly more than some of us have...

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1402 on: June 07, 2009, 03:13:57 am »

Here are my three Elgins (two came back from being repaired today) and my wife's...

My wife also has a hand made swiss watch with a cylinder movement that is currently being repaired.

My keyset keywind, 7 jewel, 18s slow train from 1884
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My pendant set, 7 jewel 16s from 1919
My pendant set, 15 jewel 12s from 1933
Finally, My wife's pendant set, 7 jewel 12s from 1903
Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1403 on: June 13, 2009, 07:09:40 pm »

Just had to pass this gem along. This watch was acquired by a fellow collector/friend of mine in Quebec, and its too special not to share.

Its a fusee-alarm, from 1724. It has all the characteristics of a Dupre watch, but as its unsigned, it was probably made by a student of his. If it WERE a Dupre, it would be a museum piece. The dial is Delftt porcelain, and the inner gold dial is to set the alarm off when the hour hand hits the alarm indicator.
As was common with early pieces, there is no minute hand The case is, sterling silver..

Here's the pics, - enjoy..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1404 on: June 14, 2009, 04:08:42 am »

Harold, my mouth is literally agape in wonder at that beautiful watch. I have never seen one with a Delftt dial before, I absolutely love it! The case is exquisitely crafted, as is the movement (the Egyptian (?) pillars are phenomenal). I would like to know what the blued steel teeth are that are sticking out from under the cock?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1405 on: June 14, 2009, 05:38:12 am »

Those are indeed Egyptain pillars, and really nice ones to boot..
The steel teeh you refer to drive the small wheel adjacent to it. Dupre movements were 7 day movements, usually, and this small numbered wheel indicated the either number of days left in the wind.  Its a very early power reserve indicator. This is one of the identifying features of a Dupre movement.

Its a real gem..

Cheers
Harold
NazT
« Reply #1406 on: June 15, 2009, 11:01:38 am »

Magnificent!  Shocked
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #1407 on: June 20, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »

Just had to pass this gem along. This watch was acquired by a fellow collector/friend of mine in Quebec, and its too special not to share.

Its a fusee-alarm, from 1724. It has all the characteristics of a Dupre watch, but as its unsigned, it was probably made by a student of his. If it WERE a Dupre, it would be a museum piece. The dial is Delftt porcelain, and the inner gold dial is to set the alarm off when the hour hand hits the alarm indicator.
As was common with early pieces, there is no minute hand The case is, sterling silver..

Here's the pics, - enjoy..

Cheers
Harold

*foams at the mouth in envy*
wow thats all i can say!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1408 on: June 20, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »

Hi all, I really want to get my own pocket watch but I fear a good one is likely out of my price range (though I'll keep looking) my main problem is obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway in the interim I was looking for a passable budget buy

I've seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEAMPUNK-VICTORIAN-STYLE-GOLD-POCKET-WATCH-GOTHIC-LARP_W0QQitemZ390059118072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fine_Jewelry?hash=item5ad155cdf8

obviously they are massed produced some where, has anyone bought one or know anything about them? are they pieces of shiny junk? if they keep time and don't break down quickly I may get one.

on another subject any one who knows about these things recommend a 2nd hand watch dealer? preferably one with a web page (which perhaps most don't have?) I'd really like an old watch that's still reliable but I may be being hopelessly optimistic!

Thanks for your time! (awful pun alert)
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1409 on: June 20, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Generally speaking those are mass produced Chinese movements with a life span of a year or so (seems like it varies from the reports I've read on here).

I have no personal experience with them, I'm sure others can chime in.

I have a few American pocket watches, but no British ones.  Looking on ebay.co.uk I see a whole bunch of pocket watches for sale (look in "used") for not too much money.  Some of them are non-functioning but some of them are, keep looking and you will find something with a bit of history to it at a price that you can afford.

Z.
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1410 on: June 20, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »

I've seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEAMPUNK-VICTORIAN-STYLE-GOLD-POCKET-WATCH-GOTHIC-LARP_W0QQitemZ390059118072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fine_Jewelry?hash=item5ad155cdf8

obviously they are massed produced some where, has anyone bought one or know anything about them? are they pieces of shiny junk? if they keep time and don't break down quickly I may get one.

on another subject any one who knows about these things recommend a 2nd hand watch dealer? preferably one with a web page (which perhaps most don't have?) I'd really like an old watch that's still reliable but I may be being hopelessly optimistic!

Thanks for your time! (awful pun alert)

These are china made costume watches , you should pay about $20 -$25 , they are fine for the occasional dress up event ( I have one for that purpose ) but not for everyday use as they brake easily and can not be repaired. Medium quality vintage pocket watches ( I like Walthams and Elgins )   can be had for $100 or less on Ebay or at good flea market , and less than $50 if you know how to change a main spring or properly clean and oil a stopped watch. You will pay more from a watchman , but if he is trustworthy he will guarantee the watch will work . If your hopes are to find a quality vintage skeleton movement watch , ( the Chinese cheapos are everywhere  ) they are very rare and expensive , I've been looking for one for two years.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1411 on: June 20, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »

Thanks guys as I suspected really; i'll keep my eyes open for a half decent vintage one then
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1412 on: June 20, 2009, 06:27:56 pm »

There are tons of Chinese made watches on the market nowadays. In the industry they're referred to as "Myth Brands" (with elaborate tales about the company name originating from an obscure, centuries-old, Swiss watch or clock-making family) or "Mushroom Brands" (pop up overnight and disappear shortly thereafter). They're typically "Private Label" made in China regardless of where the company headquarters is located. One of the firms that makes many of them is MillionSmart Enterprise at a factory in Shenzhen. Most have Chinese Tianjin Sea-Gull (one of the better Chinese movement makers), Dixmont Guangzhou, or Hangzhou movements. Dixmont Guangzhou makes movements similar to Tianjin Sea-Gull. I don't know much about the Hangzhou except they make some of the ETA 2824, 6497 and 6498 "clones".
  Now the real issue is not that the movements are inherently bad, but one of quality control. Most of the movement comanies offer several "grades' of the same movement, based on waht you want to pay.  That means that the low cost movements are assembled quickly, with little or no lubrication, and usually in a less than clean environment. I;ve seen Chiense watches with fongerprints on the movement plates, and all kinds of dirt (dust, lint, and in one case, an eyelash) in the works. Typically, these will last a year or less, before something goes wrong. You can;t get parts, either, but some watch supply houses are now carrying replacement movements.
  If I had to pick a Chinese movement, I;d go for a Sea-Gull. They are the best of the lot, and their top-end pieces are actually quite good, assuming you go for theirtop grades. Sea-Gull also makes its own watches, sold under the Sea-Gull label, and the ones I've seen were very nicely done. Hard to find outside of China, though.. For what its worth, Zodiac now uses top-of-the-line Sea-Gull movements in their mechanical watches.  (one dodge that;s coming back is to have Chiense movements shipped to Switzerland, and then tuned and assembled into the final watch. That allows the word "Swiss" to be printed on the dial, as the watch was assembled there)
  Cheers
Harold
Heliomance
Officer

« Reply #1413 on: June 26, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »

I've got a rather gorgeous looking pocketwatch, which I picked up from Camden Market for £10. Unfortunately I got what I paid for, as it ceased to function shortly after. Got it repaired - for another £10 - and once again, it lasted a while before ceasing to function. Ho hum.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1414 on: June 26, 2009, 09:08:09 pm »

Sad I'm still looking myself, i may end up buying a modern one but would still prefer an older model
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1415 on: June 27, 2009, 05:05:40 pm »

A teaser from an email concerning my next pocketwatch..

"Let me get four watches from the bank  a Bunn 60 Hr, A BW Raymond wind indicator, and a 23J Vanguard, and one 992B…..I will send pics beginning of week , we can then start the dickering"

Cheers
Harold
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1416 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »

Tell him to send the ones that he doesn't want over here... Smiley

Z.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #1417 on: June 28, 2009, 10:40:02 pm »

Hum, I was in one of my favourite antique shops yesterday and came across an Elgin up for sale with a fairly hefty price tag.

The antiques shops is one of those collective things where several vendors share shop space, and they all share time on running the place. Unfortunately the correct vendor wasn't there, so I couldn't get any basic info out of them as to whether it runs or has been recently serviced, and I only manaaged to get the guy running the shop to (reluctantly) open the back so that I could get the serial number.

So, the case is rose gold plate (wearing thin in one patch on the back) with a rose gold fob chain. The movement is only seven jewels and the serial number is 7730770. There is no maker's mark on the case.

Any ideas on this one ?

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1418 on: June 28, 2009, 10:47:00 pm »

Hum, I was in one of my favourite antique shops yesterday and came across an Elgin up for sale with a fairly hefty price tag.

The antiques shops is one of those collective things where several vendors share shop space, and they all share time on running the place. Unfortunately the correct vendor wasn't there, so I couldn't get any basic info out of them as to whether it runs or has been recently serviced, and I only manaaged to get the guy running the shop to (reluctantly) open the back so that I could get the serial number.

So, the case is rose gold plate (wearing thin in one patch on the back) with a rose gold fob chain. The movement is only seven jewels and the serial number is 7730770. There is no maker's mark on the case.

Any ideas on this one ?

Of the top of my head, that date runs to 1897-1898 as a manufacture date..
I'll do a bit more digging..
Cheers
Harold
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1419 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »

Search Results For "7730770"

Serial Number   SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code   jewels Adj/reg/etc.
--------------  -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
       7730770   7729001   4000      1898 172    18s ofn5p      7j

grade total runs   first yr  last yr class  size  code   jewels Adj/name
----- ----- -----  --------  ------- -----  ----  ------ ------ ----------
172   33000  10        1896     1898   11    18s  ofn5p      7j

Class 11:         18s OF fp pend model 5
     73     659000 made  7j gilded
    172      33000 made  7j

So it's a size 18, Open Face, Pendant set with 7 jewels from 1898.

Depending on the price and condition it might be worth it.  But I know nothing.  Smiley

Z.

Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1420 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:55 am »

Thanks to you both!

The asking price is AU$600, but I will have to wait a bit until the vendor who 'owns' that section of the store in in the shop to hassle for more info (servicing, condition and so on).
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1421 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:08 am »

Shugart book price is from $50.00 to $100US for a clean, running example, in case that's not solid gold. They list a mint example at $200.00 US..
Hard to give an exact price without seeing the watch, but most antique shops overprice their stuff a few hundred percent, I've found, banking on the ignorance of the buying public.
Ive had some 15J Elgins of that sort, from that date range, in clean cases that I picked up for about $80.00, and that was in the last year or so. $600.00AU is about $500US, and for that price range you should be into the really nice railroad watch scene (say, a 992B in a bar-over, or a Vanguard or such, and in really great  shape, too.)

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:12:37 am by HAC » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1422 on: June 29, 2009, 02:22:42 am »

Agreed, $600 for a lower grade Elgin is extreme, but symptomatic of antique shops in general, which is why I enter them to drool, not to buy Smiley I still think eBay is a great place to get a reasonably priced watch, and for $600 you could get something really, really special.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1423 on: June 29, 2009, 06:56:02 am »

Yes, thanks to the link Zwack posted, it seems the average going price is US$67.

Even worse on the antiques shop front is that this is Canberra. Established 1927. Rubbish from the 1940s is currently deemed rare and valuable...  Tongue

Thanks for the help - I shall let the people in the shop know!
SimpleComplex
Deck Hand

Head engineer aboard the Scorpionus.

« Reply #1424 on: July 03, 2009, 07:34:13 am »

That Pocket watch HAC Is beautiful absolutely beautiful its great...such a wonder...hold on to it tight..(someone may steal it) Not me of course Grin

"Rookie, who's arm is stuck in this gear?"
"That guys?" *rookie points at dead body missing arm"
"Correct, wait, there's really an arm in this gear?"
"Yea"
*rejoices*"I'm not crazy anymore!!"
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: