The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 11:42:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 424024 times)
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1375 on: April 10, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »

Got one of the two...

A 1904 Hamilton 992L - first series - #369,534. This is potentially interesting because within about 500 units of this SN#, they started sending all watches out with a Double Roller escapement as standard. Earlier ones that were still on hand were upgraded at the factory, but not marked. So this could either be a single or double roller model. Either way its interesting.

Case is a bit rough, with lots of brassing due to pocketwear - but no dents, etc. Movement appears to be in very good shape for its age.

(sellers pics - I'll take new ones when it arrives)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:25:33 pm by rogue_designer » Logged

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1376 on: April 11, 2009, 05:54:58 pm »

ah.. the venerable 992 by Hamilton, quite possibly the workhorse movement of the brand. The 992 enjoyed a long run, in all its variants, ending production in the late 1950's.
It was the basis for what became the iconic American ralroad atch, the 992b.. A good, solid, releiable movement, with a great spares situation.
Great find...

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1377 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:07 pm »

Should make for a good daily carry watch. We'll see how she runs when it gets here. Cheesy
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1378 on: April 11, 2009, 10:41:00 pm »

Should make for a good daily carry watch. We'll see how she runs when it gets here. Cheesy
My own "carry" watch for a long time was a 992b. its a classic movement, great design, and I consider it to be one of the top  American movements..
Looking forward to the pics,  looks to be a nice RR watch.
Cheers
Harold
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1379 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:35 pm »

Dial is a bit more banged up than I expected, but nothing horrible. Case is in slightly better shape than I expected.

Test run now, to see what kind of shape the mainspring is in, and pics soon.

All in all, for what I paid, I'm happy with the 992.
Dr Flonker
Zeppelin Captain

Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Inc

« Reply #1380 on: April 14, 2009, 06:36:46 am »

My own "carry" watch for a long time was a 992b. its a classic movement, great design, and I consider it to be one of the top  American movements..

What do you use for a daily carry these days, Harold?

I use a cheep 10 dollar quartz pocket watch from Walmart, with a Puritan Indiglo carbiner as a backup.

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1381 on: April 14, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »

What do you use for a daily carry these days, Harold?

I use a cheep 10 dollar quartz pocket watch from Walmart, with a Puritan Indiglo carbiner as a backup.

Lately, when I do carry a pocket watch it tends to be this one, 1924 Illinois 12s, 19J, adjusted to three positions, gold train..

I'f I'm wearing a wristwatch, its either the Rolex Explorer I, or the Rodania railroad (that was one of my work watches from my days at the railroad), that I finally restored to new..

Cheers
Harold

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1382 on: April 15, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »

So far the 992 has run for 44 hours straight and kept perfect time (granted, on in a single position on my desk). But I'm pretty happy with that kind of performance from what I assume is a 105 year old spring.

Might try cleaning the dial a bit, maybe replacing it down the road. But I think she's a keeper.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1383 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:54 pm »

44 hours is more than acceptable for a 992.. Usually they were designed to run to 48-50 hours max. I'd say you have a good one there.
How bad is the dial? Is it just hairlines, or are there  chips. The effects of hairlines can be reduced somewhat by a good cleaning..

Cheers
Harold
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1384 on: April 15, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »

There is a small chip/repair and hairline cluster around 10. Partially obscured by the bezel. And another smaller hairline from roughly the center to the top of the inset seconds dial.

Not too bad really. But the cluster annoys me. It will be enough to eventually mean a replacement. But that's down the line. I may end up doing a full recase/re-dial. I think the movement is nice enough to warrant it.
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1385 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:21 pm »

My new acquisition:
Chain and fob:

On the third side of the fob, are the initials GB which the missus says stand for "Good Boy" Wink

It is an Elgin Grade 73 18s 7 jewel made 1889. Not exactly rare, but I like it,  The chain is sterling marked 1901.

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1386 on: April 25, 2009, 11:47:25 pm »

I've been cleaning my room/office and found my late Father's pocket watch from the 1950s(?). It's a Westclox Scotty. I set it and wound it and it has lost 2 minutes in 48 hours. The time setting parts appear stiff but it still runs. It's been in one of my jewelry boxes(do guys still have jewelry boxes?) since 1980.

john
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1387 on: April 26, 2009, 01:07:10 am »

Nice find, especially having a family tie-in. Westclox was known for its "dollar watches" These were made to simple, rugged and cheap, and were made as a watch that everyone could afford. A minute a day is not that bad for an old Scotty. They tended to run to around 30 seconds to a minute a day even when new.
 Cheers
Harold
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1388 on: April 26, 2009, 01:15:32 am »

Nice find, especially having a family tie-in. Westclox was known for its "dollar watches" These were made to simple, rugged and cheap, and were made as a watch that everyone could afford. A minute a day is not that bad for an old Scotty. They tended to run to around 30 seconds to a minute a day even when new.
 Cheers
Harold

Put it back in the jewelry box or have it cleaned internally and use it? No yellowing on the face - been in the box since 1980 as I said.

No value except to me. My Father, Mother, Grandmother, Uncles, and Aunts all died from the asbestos that is eating me up. I would like to pass it along to one of my sons.

john
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1389 on: April 26, 2009, 06:28:03 am »

so the Charles Hubert half hunter thing that I've been using for a year has decided not to work.  It started keeping time erratically at best, I'd look down and it'd be off by hours and hours...  Then I noticed that it was off because it would randomly stop for hours only to start again for no apparent reason. 
It came with a "lifetime warranty" and I still have all the papers and everything for that, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the company and knows how good they are about holding that up (it claims not to cover "accidental damage" so they might claim I did something to it, goodness only knows what, I've been very kind to that watch, besides wearing it basically every day.) 

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1390 on: April 26, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »

Ancient Tinkerer - I'd say use it sparingly. Dollar watches like the Wesclox don't usually repair well as a rule, so if you want to be able to pass it on, try to preserve it.

That said - sitting unused in a box isn't good for watches either. *shrug*

-
Katerina -
I may just need a good CLA (clean lube and adjust). If you bought it new from a jeweler from whom you purchased can probably either do the service, or recommend someone.

I don't know who make the movements in the Hubert's. At first glance it looks like a Chinese skeletonized movement. But those can usually be worked on.

I don't know anything else about the company and their ability to service their watches. I am sorry.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1391 on: April 26, 2009, 04:05:45 pm »

Agreed, if you want to keep the watch to pass it down, then keep it stored in a cool dry place, but wear it every once in a while, or at least wind it up and let it run down every month or two..

As far as the hubters, those are as stated, Chinese movements. Most of them (Seagull being the major exception) are put together with little attention to quality control. I have seen a few that when new, had little or no lubrication, and have seen fingerprints on the movement paltes, and once, a human hair in the works..
They aren;t designed to be repaired, so much as replaced, whcih is why the "lifetime warranty".  Most watchmakers will not work on the Chinese movements, as its incredibly hard to get parts (there is no separate parts stream from the manufacturers).
I;d suggest taking it back , and insisting they honour the warranty.

There are a lot of watches out there nowadays with european sounding names that are actually Chinese. In fact you can even see some brands that use eniough (51%) Swiss parts, but are assembled and have the rest of the parts made in China, simply to allow the words "Swiss made" to be printed on the dial.

Cheers
Harold
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #1392 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:46 pm »

Just picked up a new one.

I had an extra case just like it, so I made a faux salesman case:

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1393 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »

Nice..  Those GCT's are getting rarer every day, especially in an original case. Nice job on the diaply back..
I am offically jealous.    Grin

Cheers
Harold
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1394 on: May 16, 2009, 04:28:08 am »

0.o I've never seen one of those. The gear floating on top of the top plate is freaking me out a bit.

Very nice!
Lucifargundam
« Reply #1395 on: May 16, 2009, 07:54:02 am »

I got one of those too, but I also got one of these:

also from Ebay, cost £50: it's says its a 'Charles-Hubert' of Paris, but on closer inspection, the mechanism is Chinese, but of a higher quality than the cheaper one, the front and back are both springed, and operate via the winder button, and it keeps good time, and takes around a day and a half to wind down. Only thing I don't like is the buttonhole clip, I'll have to replace it with a T-bar.

I have the exact same thing as you do but under a different brandname. Mine isnt working "because of sticky lubricant".... i need to figure out how to take care of this... i really dont want to put a blow dryer up against it.
richardhellyer
Deck Hand

« Reply #1396 on: May 18, 2009, 06:25:24 am »

Hello all

I have been going through this thread from start and I must say im impressed, i have always had a love for pocketwatches and this has got my blood pumping to buy a good one (have had tons of gift ones...lol)I wanted to run one of my prospects by you guys
http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Solid-Stainless-Steel-Pocket-Watch/1581771/product.html what do you think i know the site is lax in information but i thought maybe some one could divine something from it, tell me if thats a fair prce or know of a better price : )
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1397 on: May 18, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

That's a Charles Hubert which means that the movement is probably made in China and is possibly going to fall victim to the sticky lubricant mentioned above, or any one of the other problems that these movements seem to run into.  I've never owned one so I can't say for sure how good that watch is, but for the price you could buy http://www.elgintime.com/watchforsale22 or http://www.elgintime.com/watchforsale222 if you prefer a hunter.  Both of these are older Elgins and have been cleaned, lubricated and adjusted.  If you want to save money you can look around on Ebay and bid on any of the big American name watches that come up (Elgin, Hamilton or Waltham) and are marked as running.  They might still need to be serviced for you, but if you spend $50 on the watch and $50 on the cleaning you've still saved $20. 

And as always, remember I don't know what I'm talking about.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Sheblom
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1398 on: May 24, 2009, 06:57:07 am »

Good Day to you all

Here is my modest collection, it is nothing great or spectacular, but it is what I can afford...
I have a Old Rotherham from 1908/9, an old russian Molnija and an unknown dime watch, not pictured is a smith empire, which I have sent for repair and a swiss made one that I have just purchased off eby. It is not much, but I am working on making my collection bigger.
Gooday to you all.

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1399 on: May 25, 2009, 03:58:18 am »

Some very nice pieces there, congrats on the collection
Cheers
Harold
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 67   Go Up
  Print