The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 22, 2018, 05:51:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warlords, Rogue Generals, Captains, Engineers and Gentleman Adventurer's Club.  (Read 24461 times)
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2009, 03:35:40 pm »

I say, Gladstone, surely you must know that I would never initiate anything so vulgar as a brawl within these walls...as you recall, when I first came to these environs, this club offered refuge to me when the Prometheus Club wanted to dissect me. I simply wanted it to be clear that when one such as I, who wore the scarlet in Her Majesty's service for more than half a century toasts the Queen, I mean Her Majesty Victoria, however lovely, and deadly, the present company might be, or how royal. You must also know that I'll do business with anyone, regardless of affiliation..business is business. Generally speaking, I believe arming both sides of a conflict with essentially the same gear keeps the playing field level. Thus the conflict is averted altogether, or becomes a protracted affair...either is good for business. Now this Empress and her Admiral seem decent sorts, intelligent and reasonable...just want them to be aware that this Parallel isn't "ripe for conquest," as it were. As to the R&D department of The Iron Furnace...let's just say that their most recent endeavours should not be tested on an inhabited planet..certainly not on this one!
"Steward! A round for the house, if you please. Put it on my tab."
"Cheers!"

Thats the spirit! As for arms trading, you havn't got a spare Farraday Gun for an Osprey Class aerial sloop have you? Mine got scraped on something while we were mooring up, I don't know what as all there was on our port side was a large cloud.
Mr Helios, while I appreciate the size and awesome firepower of your ship, you must remember that it's sloop and frigate commanders who get all of the glory. Look at Sir Thomas Cochrane; he had two awesome fictional chracters based on him (Jack Aubrey and Horatio Hornblower) and he got famous commanding a frigate. After all, "Fame and glory over length of days"
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »

My dearest Captain Gladstone,

Well, of course we do! What size and model of Farraday do you currently mount? Do you have the thirteen or seventeen bolt mounting bracket? Whitworth, S.A.E. or Metric threads? Would you care to upgrade?
Simply contact the shipping department of the Furnace in Barren Springs, and we shall have one palleted and ready to ship within 24 hours. There is a small core charge, if yours is too damaged to rebuild.

As ever,
Thistlewaite

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

Mount and gun are produced locally i'm afraid, so carraige is the traditional naval type (no bolts, trunion instead) and no threads either.
It's the copper dome on the end thats damaged, not badly enough to stop us firing, just looks messy on regatta you see.
If course, if you have one of those difference engine computing gunsights they would come in handy on the old armstrong guns in the broadside battery....
-Matt
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2009, 04:44:53 pm »

*sips Absynthe*

"Begging your pardon, Ma'am, but Her Majesty Victoria reigns here...although, one of her Titles is Empress of India, so I suppose that's not entirely inaccurate. Perhaps you are some High and Mighty Muckity-Muck where you're from...but if you and your Admiral have designs on this Empire, you'll find it a tough nut to crack, particularly since it's backed up by the R&D department of The Iron Furnace. Now, I shall be happy to supply you for your enterprises in other dimensions, but bear in mind, the best (and deadliest) of my inventions I keep to myself...keeps my clientele honest. The last time we demonstrated the Atomic Cannon, it caused what the rest of the world has come to refer to as "The Tunguska Event"....back at the Furnace, we call it "The Siberian Miscalculation." Rest assured, M'Lady, the AC is not the most powerful weapon in our Armoury...just the most powerful which I have chosen to reveal to the world.
"To Your Health, Ma'am"  *sips Absynthe*

Here here. A strong British Empire suits my purposes well. In the past, I've been inclined to ignore them and let them get on, and they've been gracious enough to return the favour. I have no taste for expansion, but the Sahara desert is MINE.

If need be, I'll preserve this status quo by siding with the British.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2009, 04:55:05 pm »

To Captain Gladstone-
Oh, well, if that's the extent of your damage, no problem at all, Sir! I carry those as spares on board the Aurora Borealis and will be happy to give you one, gratis. As soon as I finish off this Absynthe, I shall pop right up to the Alice and fetch you one. As to the computational gunsights, Einstein's Brain in a jar...ahem..my research staff have improved somewhat on Babbage's original design, and now produce a model that will train both fore and aft guns to within 1/4 degree of arc. We still supply the original type, of course, for those purists with a nostalgic attachment to the traditional, in the Classics section of our catalogue.
To Sir Nikolas-
Well said..*raises glass* "May the sun never set on the British Empire!" *drains glass*

Well, I'm off... 

Thos. E. Thistlewaite, Owner/Captain, Dreadnaught Class Superdestroyer
                                                                             Blockade Runner
                                                                                Research Vessel Aurora Borealis
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:34:01 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2009, 06:23:20 pm »

Ladies, Gents,et al,

For general informational purposes, here is a photograph of The Iron Furnace's Patented Atomic Cannon, with a standard 12-pound Napoleon Field Piece included for scale.....this is the current, deck-mounted model on board the Aurora Borealis.....

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2009, 06:37:59 pm »

It's a triumph of miniaturisation!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2009, 07:05:24 pm »

Grin
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2009, 07:13:41 pm »

A ship to ship gun that can just be picked up and put in the pocket. I'm very impressed.
lady sakara
Snr. Officer

Empress of the 9th Parallel

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:50 pm »

Now those cannons would look marvelous on board Binky...i mean The EMS Leviathan! i say sir, i have yet to meet with yoru Queen Victoria but she seems a lovely lady. This parallel is not in my interests to conquer, in fact it is to trade with.

next round is on the 9th!

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.
Admiral Von Dray
Deck Hand

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2009, 08:12:26 pm »

I shall ready the Imperial Banks.

I say good sir my Empress would like to purchase some of these cannons from your good self, can you supply one thousand to start with?

Warmaster and Grand Tactician to the Imperious 9th Parallel
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2009, 08:19:07 pm »

*Thistlewaite returns, and hands the copper dome to the Club Steward*
Here you are, my good fellow, kindly hold this for Captain Gladstone, if you would be so kind. Thanks ever so much...

Now then, next rounds on the Ninth, eh? Another Absynthe, then. Very good. Splendid news, Your Highness, that you have no warlike intentions towards this parallel, in which case I quite look forward to doing business with you. Excellent! Sir Nikolas, you do apprehend that the smaller of the two guns pictured is the twelve-pounder, do you not? One would have to have some rather large pockets, wot? Heh.
A man can comfortably stand upright inside the bore of the AC, however, I shouldn't recommend that one do so, as there may well yet be residue from the last firing..half-life, you know..still some hundreds of years 'till the barrel "cools," so to speak. That's why the bulk of my crew are genetically modified chimpanzees..quite fearless, nothing they won't do for a few bananas. Empress, they should get on well with your..ummm. "mo-bats" did you call them? Admiral Von Drey, I shall cable the factory forthwith, a middling order of one thousand should present no problem whatsoever...we also produce a larger model for field use, as well as traction engines to draw them..I shall make sure that your Quartermaster receives our full Catalogue ...
Right then! *raises glass* "To Old Friends, New Friends, and Enterprise!"
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »

Oh. For a moment I was going to praise your triumph of miniaturisation. 'though if it's quite as brobdingnanian amd dangerous to the crew as you say, I think I'll stick with my own weapons.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:36 pm »

*Thistlewaite returns, and hands the copper dome to the Club Steward*
Here you are, my good fellow, kindly hold this for Captain Gladstone, if you would be so kind. Thanks ever so much...

Thankyou. I found footage of your weapon on the aetherweb:

Also, this has to be the "cutest" mushroom cloud i've ever seen:

-Matt
lady sakara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:28 pm »

hmmmmm i prefer my conquered lands to be usable after ive conquered them!!
Call off the order of 1000 cannons..ill just take 100 that can be used on the 1st and 2nd parallels!

to compensate..i send you with compliments 10 cases of finest Absinthe?
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2009, 10:06:35 pm »

Why, thank you, M'Lady, I kindly accept...and, fear not, the "Atomics" are but one of our many and varied product lines, I'm certain that upon perusal of our Catalogue, your esteemed Self and the good Admiral shall find many items of significant usefulness.
Steward, if you please, another round for the house...and I think this occasion calls for a decent smoke as well...break out that case of Havanas I deposited in the back bar last week, please...

*Thistlewaite leans back and puts his cavalry booted feet on a leather divan, being, of course, mindful of the spurs, and blows a smoke ring towards the high ceiling of the Club*
Ahh, yes, what a wonderful, wonderful world.....
"Lady, Gentlemen...To War! Where would we be without it?"
Admiral Von Dray
Deck Hand

« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »

Call off the order of 1000 cannons..ill just take 100 that can be used on the 1st and 2nd parallels!

Personally I was just thinking of using those 1000 cannons on that god awful ship the Discombobulous and her lousy crew....but what ever the Empress thinks best!
lady sakara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2009, 10:29:39 pm »

Personally I was just thinking of using those 1000 cannons on that god awful ship the Discombobulous and her lousy crew....but what ever the Empress thinks best!

amusing, but a trifle over done with....one infested pig should do it.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2009, 11:07:44 pm »

Can I recomend the good old fashioned breech loading shell gun? A good rate of fire, commendable accuracy and the option of using babbage powered computing sights.
Heres one on the RVNZ Yarmouth Castle (my command):

Binnacle:

The waist; we were in the tropics that time, police duties on some of the further colonies. Pith helmets and grog all round that day!:

Foremast:

Mainmast:

Sadly, I don't have one of her in flight, but this from the blueprints should give you a general idea:

Regards, Captain Matthias Gladstone, Master and Commander RVNZ Yarmouth Castle, Air Lord, Engineer, Privateer and Knight of the Vectis Empire (KVE)

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »

Spiffing ship, Matthias! Absolutely top drawer! That is a nice gun....do you happen to remember who crafted it? Always looking for good help,you know.

Thistlewaite
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:51 pm »

It's one of the famous armstrong guns, something of a revoltion in firepower at that time. Breech loading, rifled and capable of firing explosive shells.
-Matt
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »

"Lady, Gentlemen...To War!"

*ahem* there's more than one female in here, you know. Oh never mind, just think of me as a man if it makes it easier. Conventional female attire is impractical, bordering on the letha,l in the boiler room (cumbersome, moving parts, not to mention the firebox), hence one's choice to forego a dress in favour of trousers.

However if the trousers offend you, I will remove them.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »

Oh, sorry, ma'am...quite right, didn't see you come in...no need to remove your pants on my account...
*a messenger arrives, with a Telegraph for Thistlewaite. Thistlewaite reads it, appears somewhat flustered, disappears into a drawing room, and reappears a few moments later in different clothing...*

Hullo, Hullo!!  I say, Steward! Quite exciting news, my good man! I have been awarded a peerage!
Oh, I say, this is quite flabbergasting. The "Powers that be" have seen fit to make this old Sergeant Major a Baron! Can you imagine? I am now Baron Luxborough...hmmmmp!

Well, celebration is called for...Drinks all around, and keep 'em coming! To commemorate the occasion, I have dressed as befits a proper Laird o' the Manor, rather than my usual uniform...I suppose now I shall have to invest in some better clothes...

Cheers!

Thistlewaite ( Baron Luxborough...) Heh. Grin
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:08 am »

Congratulations Baron! I invite you aboard my ship for drinks to celebrate. I have a Brandy that is simply dying to be opened.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »

Drinks are on you then sir!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print