The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 30, 2014, 10:58:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Hairstyle  (Read 8826 times)
Gracie Fullman
Officer
United States United States

A delicate flower with far too many thorns

« on: January 21, 2009, 05:08:10 am »

Hello, I'm beginning to put together a steampunk outfit, and hair is an essential part of any outfit. Does anyone have any idea for how someone with shoulder-length curly/wavy hair? I have access to a flat iron, and time is not really an issue. If you suggest accessories, kinds that can be bought on the cheap or homemade are prefered.
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:48:31 am »

I usually just wear a low bun. My hair used to be MUCH shorter, though, and then I slept in it wet without brushing it for a couple of days and it would spike out everywhere into a "Harry Potter and the Light Socket of Fun" style.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Overlord

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:12:31 am »

hmm my hair is really long, i mean long (over three feet) so i have to stick to things that wont give me a head ach. however, when my hair was shorter, i loved to go with a 1920's finger curl look:
http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/fingerwaves.htm

its also nice to pull it up into two tiny buns and let the ends spike all over the place. Smiley

SteamBlast Mary
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »

My hair's quite long but very fine, it doesn't have the volume for anything really punky like I desire so it's generally tucked away in a chignon. Though I'd love to find out how to achieve the upswept up-do of the 1900's (like Lily Langry). Perhaps a browse on Hair Finder will show up what I mean. (thanks for the link Ms Boo, it could prove very useful.)

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Overlord

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:49:35 pm »

you are very welcome! i had to actually research how to do my hair and make up... my mother was a "religious" sort (no offense to anyone) and didnt believe in doing your hair or wearing make-up... i had no idea how to even put on lip stick when i reached adulthood! thank god for the internet! Tongue
SteamBlast Mary
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »

*nods* I know exactly what you mean. My parents lived in apparent terror of any possibility me ever being able to be considered attractive in any way, ever. Hell, I can still fit into my school uniform 14 years and "X" stone later, giving a whole new meaning to the term "growing room".

But I digress. The secret of hair & make-up is to 1. practice and 2. have fun with it. I found Dita Von Teese's book Burlesque and the Art of the Tease/Fetish and the Art of the Tease inspirational- she is a big advocate of "artificial" (i.e. making an effort) beauty, and will often say that she only got so good at applying her own make-up through practice, practice, practice.
GypsyGurl
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

A Dancer with Steampunk tendencies...

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »

<cut>I found Dita Von Teese's book Burlesque and the Art of the Tease/Fetish and the Art of the Tease inspirational- she is a big advocate of "artificial" (i.e. making an effort) beauty, and will often say that she only got so good at applying her own make-up through practice, practice, practice.

Oh yes indeed. Quite apart from Dita's wisdom in all things of "artificial" beauty (mind you there is plenty NON artificial bits on her that would be divine regardless!) the practice element is important. I often get comments on my makeup and tis really only through years of performing and having to slap on the facepaint and figure what works best that I get them...

Mind you, even the most practiced sometimes slip up! Embarrassed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"If you'll release restrain me, whatever you ask for ransom, you'll get it I promise you." What Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) SHOULD have said...
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Overlord

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:07 pm »

ha! believe it or not i really learned the ins and outs of some make-up art,whilst being the make-up/set designer and builder in my old high school thespian club Tongue i was always too shy to act my self so i did all the artistic stuff... i still cant do liquid eyeliner though. i guess my hands are just too darn shaky. is anyone else allergic to typical hair and make up products?
Gracie Fullman
Officer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 02:39:05 pm »

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I might go with a finger curl thing, or even try and mimic Marilyn Monroe.

is anyone else allergic to typical hair and make up products?

Ooh, allergic? Ouch. The only things I'm allergic to are cats, dogs, birds, and about five types of plant pollen.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Overlord

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:11:35 pm »

yup im allergic to alot of shampoos,conditioners,hairsprays and make-up. make-up the worst reaction ive had was swelling of my eyes. but ive had shampoos,conditioners,and hairsprays raise blisters upon first contact on a few occasions!
Frau Tankgerhausen
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

The miss with love for giant weapons.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:31:15 pm »

With my overly sensitive skin I can't apply makeup on my face for more than 2 days, or i'll get all kinds of rashes and other skin problems. Damn you eczema! Angry
And mostly, I still have my eye-makeup on several days after,for i can't remove it without too much rubbing and pain.  Sad

But, to stay on topic, I think a braid on the side of your head can look quite lovely and steampunkish Smiley

Plastic parts and glue,
doing everything I can do,
to build the steambears.<3

....How hyu gun get him to do dat?
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Overlord

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »

ive never been able to figure out how to do that. braiding along the side of your head. like french braids and similar.
Frau Tankgerhausen
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:56:13 pm »

ive never been able to figure out how to do that. braiding along the side of your head. like french braids and similar.
Well,my mother always braided my hair until I was twelve,and taught me how to do it afterwards.
You can find lots of tutorials on youtube. Smiley
MakoChan
Gunner
Germany Germany

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »

Just curious but what kind of hair do you have exactly? If you have thick hair with big curls you could try the following.
Tease one part of your hair like this (maybe a bit smaller...) and let some single strands hanging down to your shoulder. You might could take a curling iron for making those single strands equally curled. - just as an Idea. Smiley
Nefthys
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Captain of the Airship Odonata

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »

I've always been a fan of sticking things in your hair, what ever hair style you may choose in the end. It's a nice addition to have a few feathers here and there or a leather strap with gears hanging down. Accessorise! 

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!
Gracie Fullman
Officer

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:47 am »

Just curious but what kind of hair do you have exactly? If you have thick hair with big curls you could try the following.
Tease one part of your hair like this (maybe a bit smaller...) and let some single strands hanging down to your shoulder. You might could take a curling iron for making those single strands equally curled. - just as an Idea. Smiley

My hair is pretty thick, but it isn't extremely curly. It's mostly wavy, actually. It gets wavier towards the ends, though.
sapphire_distortion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 02:07:48 am »

is anyone else allergic to typical hair and make up products?

I have a lot of problems with makeup, my eyes are ridiculously sensitive. It was terrible, when I was in cosmetology school we did semipermanent glue on false eyelashes (when attached right, they're supposed to stay on 2-3 weeks). I asked if anyone had ever had an allergic reaction and the instructor said no (in like, 5-6 years of doing this mind you), so I went ahead and tried it. Big mistake. I was okay until like four o'clock in the afternoon when my eyes suddenly started watering/streaming and burning to no end - and I was home alone! Without anything to get them off with! I had to actually call into work at HT that night because I would have been like two hours late - I had to sit on the couch staring at the ceiling until Matt got off work and brought me some baby oil. eesh.

Personally, my favorite hair accessory is feathers by far. I'm on the watch right now for a good top hat to put some feathers on as well. But my input is probably not worth a lot as my hair has been too short to do a whole lot of anything with for a while now Wink

http://community.livejournal.com/steampunkdebate/

Scarves are now 25% off!

"I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?"
"Oh yes, I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
HAC
Steam Theologian
Immortal
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 02:10:37 am »

Hair? I seem to remember having some way back when...

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Gazongola
Immortal
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 05:02:33 am »

What about mens hairstyles? I have longish hair, where the back sits to the bottom of my collar. Never sure how to do It. I always just end up sweeping it back with a parting.
Gracie Fullman
Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 02:47:12 pm »

Well, men's hair has always been simpler than women's. If your hair is long enough to put in a low ponytail, try that and then tie it off with a ribbon. If not, try just greasing it back and using gel or hairspray so it lays very flat to your head, and not a signle hair is out of place.

I used to be able to do either gender role in my school's theater. There were hardly any boys in the theater department, so I was shang-hai'd into it because of my androgynous looks, but now I'm free of it. I went from an A-cup to a C-cup in about two weeks. Weehee, I needed new bras.

Now there's an idea, steampunk bras.
Frau Tankgerhausen
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

We're still working on that. Grin
MamaSteam
Deck Hand

Bloody hell, nice toolbelt!

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:09 pm »

Feathers are very in right now, and manage to add a bit of old-fashioned flair without adding the immense wide-brimmed hat and plastic birds that will just end up in tatters when the mechanical rats attack. Look around on www.etsy.com for ideas for accesories. Many sellers are creating headbands and clips and all sorts of things with feathers and pearls other antique looks. Most of them are easy to make yourself, as my fellow inventor and I have discovered.

As for your hair itself, a simple updo is usually best, or full curls. A simple clip that holds the top parts of your hair back, and letting the rest hang can be very pretty without much effort. Look around on hair-styling websites, or, excuse me as I gag a bit, teen magazine sites. They usually have hair-length specific tips hanging around and with all the popularity of vintage styles, it shouldn't be hard to find something close to what you're looking for.

Good Luck!

She stood, oh how she stood atop that perilous bow. Her gaze found me and with it a wink, such a wink! And as she turned her head to look at that wide expanse of insanity, only a shudder, a shudder of sheer excitement ran through her as she lifted her hand and gave us the signal to attack!
Gracie Fullman
Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »

I'm going to have to buy some simple hairclips. Before now, I never had need of them because my hair was all around my ears and it was so curly it never needed any treatment, but now that it's longer it's all like "Steampunk or no steampunk YOUR MY B***H!"
Gazongola
Immortal
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 04:01:27 am »

Well, men's hair has always been simpler than women's. If your hair is long enough to put in a low ponytail, try that and then tie it off with a ribbon. If not, try just greasing it back and using gel or hairspray so it lays very flat to your head, and not a signle hair is out of place.

I used to be able to do either gender role in my school's theater. There were hardly any boys in the theater department, so I was shang-hai'd into it because of my androgynous looks, but now I'm free of it. I went from an A-cup to a C-cup in about two weeks. Weehee, I needed new bras.

Yeah, the whole greasing back thing is what I normally do. If I ever do have it long enough, it will probably be tied back with a ribbon, but my qualm with that is that I have quite a high hairline, so I have to have a bit of fringe hanging down preferably.
Luella Dobson
Zeppelin Admiral

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 04:49:02 am »

I would think that keeping hair curly/wavy would be ideal.
in the Victorian era, straight hair was not desirable, and was even considered awkward looking.

[/historic costume nerd]

but this is steampunk, and you could say "fuck it" to any Victorian rule you want. Smiley

you could probably do something interesting looking by utilizing a few braids and the putting the whole of your hair in a bun.

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: