The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2019, 12:10:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denver crowd  (Read 54237 times)
bete-noire
Gunner
United States United States

editrix pro-tem. http://co.chrononauts.org

« Reply #425 on: October 01, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »

A Halloween party sounds fun!
Any theme (beyond the obvious)?
it will be a Past Life party. Smiley i've always wanted to have one.
One of our own past lives, eh?
Interesting.

it lends itself to just making up any damn thing you feel like being for halloween, IMO. Cheesy

"Compass" Rose Gallowglass
ethertubes oversight - scoutship pilot - unorthodox acquisitions - guide to and around the torque zones of the plains - Cheyenne-sidhe and Arsenal Rangers liaison services - paranatural nuisance removal
~ complex problems a specialty ~ aethergraph today ~
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2009, 06:50:28 pm »

Excellent. So the only question, then, is when.
Jason and Savvy are planning one for Friday, I know.

I am Kylara Kenshea, Captain of the good ship Mórríghan,
Leader of the AeroNauts Vividis NeoSteam (AVNS, pronounced "Avians") -
A Subsidary of the Collateral Damage Adventuring Guild (CDAG).

No treasure is too elusive, no steam too hot for our crew.
bete-noire
Gunner

« Reply #427 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:06 pm »

Excellent. So the only question, then, is when.
Jason and Savvy are planning one for Friday, I know.

quite; i got the invite.

this will be saturday and early, so that people (and us!) can still hit the clubs.

still checking with $himself to determine the feasibility, since that's the weekend after steamcon, et c., which is why i haven't mentioned it - don't worry; if we decide to do it, everyone will know about it.
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2009, 05:23:21 pm »

We had 17 people at the meetup last night, quite the turnout! At the rate we're going, we will need a larger abode than mine to gather.

Please to be marking your calendars:

In light of the continued success of our excursions and incursions, and the upcoming MileHiCon and SteamCon events, here is the upcoming schedule:

For the next "every-other-week" I propose a Wednesday gathering at the hour of 5 at Paris on the Platte (coffee and tea shop at 15th and Platte downtown), to be wandered over near the river and train tracks for a good photo shoot in preparation for the convention following on Fri/Sat/Sun. This will be on Wednesday, October 21st. I will be there with part of the Mórríghan crew and our camera to make Daguerrotype images. Hopefully the good weather of next week holds out!

SECOND, the Denver Zoo is having a free day that conveniently falls on the weekend of our typical excursions, specifically November 8th. This is a Sunday. The zoo is open from 10am-5pm. We will be meeting at the Predator Ridge at 11am. It may be cold, so this is a most excellent time to experiment with cold weather garb.

THIRD, the Museum of Nature and Science has its last free day of the year on November 22nd (conveniently once again falling on our every-other-week day). Again, this is a Sunday. The museum is open from 9am-5pm, and we will meet just inside at the T-Rex at 10am. Again, we will be bringing our camera of course.

All of these events are of the wander-in-wander-out sort, but do please touch base and exchange aethertube information with someone else who will be there to make sure we don't miss each other!

I will also be creating an event for each of these. Do check out http://steampunk.ning.com/, which is a most excellent Facebook for Steampunks sort of location, and it has a very easy setup for groups and events.
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2009, 07:23:32 pm »

I'll see about making it to one of these, I've only been wanting to all year.  Unfortunately, my life is a bit hectic, especially right now, and financially I'm uncertain...  But I'll see.  Really rather interesting in the Halloween thing.

"In his jar on the shelf of R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu lies dreaming..."
Capt. Morion
Snr. Officer

Captain of the Stormchaser

« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2009, 06:27:56 am »

Vocal and I shall hopefully be there on the 21st armed with photo gear (I'm on last call for work so I'll know for sure at 3 that afternoon '). 6 months later we'll finally make it to another meet!

The bad guys always have the best tailors
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #431 on: October 16, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »

Most excellent. Hopefully the weather holds out. They're calling for sunny but chill, so bring a jacket.  Cool
hooligankustom13
Deck Hand

« Reply #432 on: October 16, 2009, 05:16:45 pm »

I am plannin to venture forth to the milehicon , unfortunately cannot attend the steamcon in seatle , would love to know wat days everyone is planning to go to the milehicon , hope to see as many of you there as possible ! 

Good , bad , I'm the guy with the gun .
bete-noire
Gunner

« Reply #433 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:32 pm »

can't make wednesday - we have Twin Peaks night at the White Owl.

i've done modelling photoshoots out there on the tracks by Paris - i wish there were more interesting scenery there -- you'd think there would be, since that part of the tracks has been in use for so long. {: / i do think i want to go to the railroad museum at some point, though - there's a ton of interesting visuals there. big machines! giant flywheels! brass and copper! pipes and engines! lots of fun stuff.

Due to some random Life factors, I'm not going to steamcon this year after all, principally because my SO is having some minor surgery and i don't want to split town to leave him hobbling about the house like a lonely pea in a gourd all weekend. i'm fairly (really (very (i need a drink) )) depressed about it, but i've already released my seattle friends from hosting me and rolled over my con membership to next year, so it's moot. i think i'll probably go to milehicon friday evening and part of the day saturday - the panels on steampunk are saturday afternoon. those of you who attended the Air Kraken Day festivities may remember red-haired Doug - he is on one of the panels on saturday.

the milehicon schedule is here:
http://tinyurl.com/yh8osse

i'm leaving early saturday to go to Victorian Horrors at the Molly Brown House if anyone wants to join us - the 8:00 slot is sold out, but we'll be hanging around for a while after our show slot is finished.

sorry to spout off... coffee. take lots of pictures wednesday and enjoy.... one hopes we will run into each other at some point this weekend. ^_^

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:05:31 pm by bete-noire » Logged
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #434 on: October 20, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »

This is one of the few years in the past 15 that I won't be making an appearance at MileHiCon. It's unfortunate, but for the proportionate number of things to do I can't really justify it.
However, if everyone would like to go out carousing on, say, Friday night or Sunday afternoon, I'd be up for it. It's my birthday and I'll be looking for company.

I honestly prefer Sterne Park for modeling shoots, but downtown is more central methinks. Sterne Park has a rose garden, a giant sundial, a lake with old bridges, and old-fashioned lamp posts. Generally a good time. Also, I just realized that November 28th (the Saturday after Thanksgiving) is free day at the railroad museum...while the admission is only $8 normally, it certainly seems easier for people to attend when admission is free. So, while we're planning on doing the normal museum on Sunday the 22nd, perhaps we should plan Saturday, the 28th as a railroad venture?

Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #435 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:32 pm »

UPDATE:

We have three upcoming events for the month of November (my, we keep busy don't we?):

FIRST, the Denver Zoo is having a free day that conveniently falls on the weekend of our typical excursions, specifically November 8th. This is a Sunday. The zoo is open from 10am-5pm. We will be meeting at the Predator Ridge at 11am. It may be cold, so this is a most excellent time to experiment with cold weather garb. Location: http://www.denverzoo.org/
This will be a great opportunity for photographs, and particularly for those of the "Explorer" persuasion.

SECOND, the Museum of Nature and Science has its last free day of the year on November 22nd (conveniently once again falling on our every-other-week day). Again, this is a Sunday. The museum is open from 9am-5pm, and we will meet just inside at the T-Rex at 10am. Again, we will be bringing our camera of course. The location information: http://www.dmns.org/main/en/

THIRD, the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden has a SCFD free day on November 28th (this is a Saturday). This museum is a most excellent location for photography, because it is filled with brass and railroads and all sorts of good steamy devices and machinery. The museum opens at 9am, so we will be meeting at 10am at the gift shop (Depot General Store) because it's an easy place to meet. Location information: http://www.coloradorailroadmuseum.org/

All of these events are of the wander-in-wander-out sort, but do please touch base and exchange aethertube information with someone else who will be there to make sure we don't miss each other! Also, while garb is strongly encouraged, don't feel that you cannot come if you don't have a complete outfit! We want you anyway!

I will also be creating an event for each of these on <a href="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=67788257305">Our Facebook Group</a>. Do check out <a href="http://steampunk.ning.com/">The Steampunk Empire</a>, which is a most excellent community group similar to Facebook or Myspace for Steampunks, and it has a very easy setup for groups and events. The Denver/FoCo crowd has a group there, Port Tesla.

These are in addition to any Hallowe'en events that will be occurring (there are a couple of parties, I know for sure). 
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #436 on: November 05, 2009, 11:00:53 pm »

Verdammt, I just realized that I won't be able to make it to the Zoo as I made other plans with people and forgot about the free day. Sad

Anyway, why I'm actually posting at the moment ...
Have any of you been to, or thought about going to, Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret in the clocktower at 16th and Arapahoe? I've only been there once a bit over a year ago, for a dress up photo shoot thing that was going on.  It seemed like a cool place. Walking by there at lunch today I noticed their ad for a show they have currently that looks like it might be fun to get dressed up to go watch ... Magic Underground

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »

If it's a free day, I should be able to make the Zoo this weekend.

Now how many times have I said I should be able to make one and then never show up?

Just out of curiosity, did anyone go see Emilie Autumn Tuesday night?
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2009, 04:46:35 pm »

Just a reminder, Zoo Day is this Sunday. And do come, Skrae...there should be a large crowd and it's supposed to be beautiful out.
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #439 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »

Hello my dears, news from the front:

There's a possibility that we'll be getting some press here in Colorado soon for the Steampunk phenomena. Most likely, the journalist will be coming to one of the two upcoming Museum events--so make sure to get attendance as high as possible and wear your Sunday best!

Also, after much discussion with a few of the Zoo attendees, we may be making a run at turning the proposed Mad Science Faire into either a convention appearance (If Opus goes on) or a full-blown convention of its own. If that happens, be prepared to have Colorado appear on the map. Do provide your input, my lovelies.
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #440 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:47 pm »

If Mad Science Fair goes full con, I've got convention experience (Starfest and NDK for the past two years) so I wouldn't mind working it if you need people.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2009, 12:39:46 am »

If Mad Science Fair goes full con, I've got convention experience (Starfest and NDK for the past two years) so I wouldn't mind working it if you need people.
I have been wanting to do the Mad Science Faire in some form or other since I was a child...  But a full con?  Wow!

My question to the more con-savvy among us:  What do we need to consider, logistically?  Location, of course, comes to mind.  What sort of permits might we need?

- Maximilian
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2009, 01:13:39 am »

Unfortunately, I don't know much about that since my place on the ladder is only above attending volunteers and actual volunteers, but I've got contacts I can talk to probably.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2009, 04:32:25 am »

Unfortunately, I don't know much about that since my place on the ladder is only above attending volunteers and actual volunteers, but I've got contacts I can talk to probably.
That already puts you head and shoulder above me.  Smiley

In a general sense, let's talk goals:  What do we want?
Personally, I am most interested in the "science faire" aspect.  That is to say, a chance for the builders among us to exhibit their work.
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2009, 12:30:05 am »

Spotted this on CL and thought someone here might be interested:

http://denver.craigslist.org/tlg/1460028415.html
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2009, 05:49:52 am »

Spotted this on CL and thought someone here might be interested:

http://denver.craigslist.org/tlg/1460028415.html
Interesting.

I will pass the word around.
Vorpal Bandersnatch
Officer

« Reply #446 on: November 14, 2009, 12:21:53 am »

Reporting in from the fine plains of Northern Colorado. I'd certainly be interested in whatever steampunk going-ons get organized in our piece of the union.

Philosophy, discovery, art, every sort of skill, every sort of service, love; these are the means of salvation from that narrow loneliness of desire, that brooding preoccupation with self and egotistical relationships, which is hell for the individual, treason to the race, and exile from God.[Wells]
Kylara Kenshea
Gunner

« Reply #447 on: November 18, 2009, 09:58:19 pm »

Well, the good news is that it's official--a news network will be at the Colorado Railroad Museum event following us around from 10a-Noon.
Ideally I'd like to get together (Sunday evening perhaps?) and discuss the possibility of the Mad Science Faire going live so that we can have something to tell our interviewers--get some preemptive press out there.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #448 on: December 17, 2009, 03:32:28 pm »

Anyone interested in seeing “Sherlock Holmes” as a group on Boxing Day?
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:54 pm »

If I have the money when the time comes, I'd say sure depending on where.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: