The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2019, 12:09:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denver crowd  (Read 54236 times)
baron sterling
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:36:27 am »

Hmm, not even sure if "crowd" is the appropriate term. I'm wondering if there is anyone at all in Denver interested in a group or get together or something of the sort. Let your voice be heard!
Capt. Morion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Captain of the Stormchaser

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »

I'm Boulder-based (well, starting sometime next week I will be), and I would be most interested in a group/get-together. I have a few friends that would likely be interested as well

The bad guys always have the best tailors
Leila Vancient
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:54 pm »

There are three people that I know of in the south Denver area (myself, and Mrs. and Mr. Luckadue). We haven't had much luck finding others, but we would surely be interested in a get-together!

She came, she saw, she became horribly lost.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:12:52 am »

I'm in Denver Smiley I'm just not a very social person unfortunately.

Glad to see there's more people here though.

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
baron sterling
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:01:12 am »

Hmm cool, i'll wait another week for any other sign of denver based folks, but until then we can discuss what exactly we can do as far as meet-ups.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:38:18 pm »

I don't know how many of us are of drinking age, but any of you ever go to Pint's Pub (by the library and art museum)? The venue itself isn't "steamy", but they do have good live ale, fish and chips (with salmon instead of cod), as well as other food, and an interesting bar billiards game that's fun to play (kinda reminds me of a mix of pool and skee ball).
baron sterling
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:14:30 am »

Ah, I know exactly where you're talking about. Are you sure you have to be 21 and up to enter? If not, that would be a perfect meeting place for the few of us around.
Leila Vancient
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »

The three of us in south Denver are all above drinking age. I'll have to check with the Luckadues, but I don't think any of us have ever been to the pub in question. I'm sure we could find our way if schedules and such work out (it's rather chaotic around here).
Julian Van de Kamp
Deck Hand

Captain of the Lorelei

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:43:22 am »

In case you're interested, there's already a group in Denver, though they're a little different from most steampunk groups out there:

Wings of Steam Anachronistic Society

I founded it as a semi-open group, but we're currently accepting new members. We're a bunch of airship pirates. From time to time we have events, both public and private where we get together in our steam personas and have quite a bit of fun. Our main hangout is our webforum which you can find in the link above. Things are moving a bit slowly in our group due to winter right now though...
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 07:40:34 am »

There's also the Western Steam page on livejournal. Sometimes steampunk events, or people trying to organize get-togethers, in Denver post there. At the moment it looks like someone's trying to motivate people to go watch Repo! The Genetic Opera on the 21st at the Mayan Theater.
Julian Van de Kamp
Deck Hand

Captain of the Lorelei

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:22 am »

Also, you might want to check the Disintegration LiveJournal community. They're not necessarily steamers, but back in October they threw a steampunk-themed Halloween party... a definite indication that there's some interest.
kiyomi23
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:10:19 am »

At the moment it looks like someone's trying to motivate people to go watch Repo! The Genetic Opera on the 21st at the Mayan Theater.

That person would be me!

I would love to join your group, and I would love to attend a get-together. I agree entirely that the community here needs some unification.

Also, there is a group in the Springs: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cs-steampunk/
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:42:21 am »

That person would be me!

Howdy Smiley

Hope you don't mind me spreading around the info about the show. I was initially just going to point out the western steam page on livejournal, but noticed your posting was something coming up soon and thought our fellows here might be interested.

Are you in Colorado Springs then (since the yahoo group you shared seems to be)?
baron sterling
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:46:49 am »

I think setting a meet up at repo! would be a good idea.
bete-noire
Gunner

editrix pro-tem. http://co.chrononauts.org

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 05:58:48 pm »

Greetings, esteemed peoples! this is the moderatrix of western steam-LJ, your svt., et c.

i'm trying to get together all the clans of the frontrange for this.

there are threads on wings of steam, western steam, and i'm trying to get ahold of the captain of the freudian sloop, on myspace. i'm not sure where the best place to work all this out might be, and while i'd like to meet somewhere beforehand -- Double Daughters or the Cruise Room would be the obvious places -- they're kind of far from the Mayan, and i want a good seat. i don't hang out in the broadway area much and the only bar i know down there is Sputnik, which is kind of hipster-toity, so suggestions for a place to sip a glass of something rich are welcome.

reply here or on any of the aforementioned alternate forums.

many thanks.

~n
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:32:10 pm by bete-noire » Logged

"Compass" Rose Gallowglass
ethertubes oversight - scoutship pilot - unorthodox acquisitions - guide to and around the torque zones of the plains - Cheyenne-sidhe and Arsenal Rangers liaison services - paranatural nuisance removal
~ complex problems a specialty ~ aethergraph today ~
baron sterling
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:53 am »

The cruise room has such a cool art deco feel to it. I don't know though, we should hurry and set up a specific time and place and try to get ahold of as many people as we can.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 12:20:45 am »

The cruise room has such a cool art deco feel to it. I don't know though, we should hurry and set up a specific time and place and try to get ahold of as many people as we can.

I know where Double Daughters is, but where is the cruise room? I haven't heard of it before.
bete-noire
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:34 am »

I know where Double Daughters is, but where is the cruise room? I haven't heard of it before.

tch! it's actually the bar on the other side of McCormick's Fish. the Oxford Hotel. it was opened on Repeal Day and they haven't touched the d├ęcor since. it's a true art deco bar.

the point is though that both of them are in lodo and the mayan is on broadway, and i'd rather sashay down the street from the saloon than fire up my engine and scoot halfway cross town and worry about being late. i think the Hornet is a better alternative, just for this time -- they're right there by the Mayan and they won't mind our Jules Vernitude at all.
kiyomi23
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:51:54 am »

Howdy Smiley

Hope you don't mind me spreading around the info about the show. I was initially just going to point out the western steam page on livejournal, but noticed your posting was something coming up soon and thought our fellows here might be interested.

Are you in Colorado Springs then (since the yahoo group you shared seems to be)?

Salutations!
I don't mind at all. The more advertisements, the better the turnout. I hope many people will show up.

I live in Aurora, actually. I'm just willing to travel, and the group in the Springs was the first one I found. I'd like to attend events up here a well.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »

tch!
Sorry. Wasn't trying to suggest that we go there. I just didn't know where it was.

i think the Hornet is a better alternative, just for this time -- they're right there by the Mayan and they won't mind our Jules Vernitude at all.
Haven't been there in years, but at least I do know where the Hornet is. So is it looking like we're all agreed on this place, or are we still in the process of deciding?

The more advertisements, the better the turnout.
That was my thought as well.
bete-noire
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:02 pm »

tch!
Sorry. Wasn't trying to suggest that we go there. I just didn't know where it was.

i'm teasing you.  Wink no need to apologize.

So is it looking like we're all agreed on this place, or are we still in the process of deciding?

whatever you guys want to do is fine. the movie is really more cyber than steam anyway, so it might be better to just have a larger and more officially steamy meeting later anyway. the captain of the Lorelei suggested Jules Verne's birthday (Feb 8th), or Air Kraken Day (Mar 17th), and they're sort of planning something for Air Kraken Day anyway, so that does sound delightful. i personally would like to do a chrononauting photojaunt to the giant ray cannon in uptown, on 18th street -- have you seen the giant ray cannon? it's awe-inspiring -- and perhaps chrononaut renfair, but that's for later, and have tea at the brown palace, which is ethereally victorian if you have somehow managed to avoid seeing it.... there are lots of possibilities.

so ... kiyomi is coming straight from work and won't be able to meet beforehand, but i guess i'll be at either the hornet or the mayan bar from about 7 on. yes? sensible?

Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »

the movie is really more cyber than steam anyway,
Ah well, a friend that's coming with me is more diesel than steam anyway, so it'll all work out Wink

i personally would like to do a chrononauting photojaunt to the giant ray cannon in uptown, on 18th street -- have you seen the giant ray cannon?
No, I haven't. Sounds cool though. I've been wondering where would be a good place to shoot photos next. What's the cross street on that? I work near 17th & Lawrence, maybe I can check it out on my way home.

but i guess i'll be at either the hornet or the mayan bar from about 7 on. yes? sensible?
It's been so long that I've been to the Mayan that I didn't remember them having a bar. Meeting up there and avoiding the whole migrating from one place to another sounds like a good idea to me. Plus, if we meet up there in advance of the show we can make sure to get good seats. Smiley
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:32 pm »

I am in Aurora and would be very interested in some sort of social event.

- Maximilian
bete-noire
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:24 pm »

i personally would like to do a chrononauting photojaunt to the giant ray cannon in uptown, on 18th street -- have you seen the giant ray cannon?

No, I haven't. Sounds cool though. I've been wondering where would be a good place to shoot photos next. What's the cross street on that? I work near 17th & Lawrence, maybe I can check it out on my way home.

it's on 18th, east of Park. can't remember the exact cross street -- it's just before the hospital area. it's on the south side of the street. it looks like a freaking memorial from a war of invasion from space.

It's been so long that I've been to the Mayan that I didn't remember them having a bar. Meeting up there and avoiding the whole migrating from one place to another sounds like a good idea to me. Plus, if we meet up there in advance of the show we can make sure to get good seats. Smiley

trufax. the bar wasn't there until a couple of years ago, so your misguided youth isn't playing tricks on your brain -- at least, not about that. Smiley i'll probably show up around 7:30 or so.
you know what to look for. Smiley cheers.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:58 pm »

have a larger and more officially steamy meeting later anyway. the captain of the Lorelei suggested Jules Verne's birthday (Feb 8th), or Air Kraken Day (Mar 17th), and they're sort of planning something for Air Kraken Day anyway, so that does sound delightful. i personally would like to do a chrononauting photojaunt to the giant ray cannon in uptown, on 18th street -- have you seen the giant ray cannon? it's awe-inspiring -- and perhaps chrononaut renfair, but that's for later, and have tea at the brown palace, which is ethereally victorian if you have somehow managed to avoid seeing it.... there are lots of possibilities.
All of these sound better than excellent!

Alert me if you need an extra pair of hands to pitch in and bring one or more of these about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: