The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 26, 2019, 10:32:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...  (Read 192311 times)
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:22 am »

I believe the 'cold iron' is specifically cold wrought iron.

On another topic - Runes. I'm having the damnedest time designing one last Bindrune for a set. I'd like it to be pertinent to... thought, wisdom, intelligence. The intellectual. But nothings jumping out at me, in a sort of ironic twist.

I don't expect much help, but perhaps talking about it might make something come to light.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Marrock
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:38 am »

Reminds me of the time I proved my uncle was a vampire...

...I drove a stake through his heart and he died.

On another topic - Runes. I'm having the damnedest time designing one last Bindrune for a set. I'd like it to be pertinent to... thought, wisdom, intelligence. The intellectual. But nothings jumping out at me, in a sort of ironic twist.

I don't expect much help, but perhaps talking about it might make something come to light.

I might be able to assist with a bindrune.

Which alphabet do you prefer?
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2009, 12:59:42 am »

I've been using the Elder Futhark thus far. I'd appreciate the help. Even just a choice of runes to be used, I could come up with the bindrune from its parts. I just seem to be having a massive block on the subject.  Undecided
Marrock
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

For something like this I'd recommend a nine part bindrune since the number nine is considered rather important in Norse mythology, gives the bindrune an extra bit of oomph.

If it were me I'd go with the following (and this is only my opinion):

Algiz
Berkana
Daqgaz
Ehwaz
Kano
Laguz
Raido
Sowelu
Uruz
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:27 am »

That'll take some finaggling, that one. I think I see where you were going though. I hadn't thought about the number nine, I'm glad for the reminder. I'll see what I can come up with for that one. Be sure I'll take a picture.
Marrock
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2009, 06:53:15 am »

I need to find some ash to cut three eight sided dice from so I can make a proper set of rune dice, six-siders are all wrong for that sort of thing.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:31 am »

Never heard of rune dice...

Edit: Well your suggestion for the nine piece bindrune threw my head into a spin and I hadn't a scrap of luck figuring a way to get it on paper. It's now become a personal challenge next time I want to frustrate myself horribly.

Despite that, it did manage to clear my head and I managed to create the eighth bindrune I needed and I'm happy with it. Also, your suggestion of nine parts of a whole gave me a spot of inspiration. See, the idea of this is that it's going to be one massive inscription of runes. It will be arranged in the eight-pointed formation of the Helm of Awe or Runic Compass runes you'd be familiar with, with a bindrune at each point. As I said, I finally designed the eighth which took me ages. The inspiration for a ninth though, will be formed by the use of a ninth bindrune in the middle of the whole formation, a simple but powerful one made of Gebo and Algiz. The purpose of the ninth would be, in essence, to join them all together at the root.

I imagine it's fairly difficult to picture it all. I've now gotten all the pieces made, I just need to put them together now. Pictures once that's done.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:55:15 am by Sean Patrick O-Byrne » Logged
Marrock
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »

Edit: Well your suggestion for the nine piece bindrune threw my head into a spin and I hadn't a scrap of luck figuring a way to get it on paper. It's now become a personal challenge next time I want to frustrate myself horribly.

Despite that, it did manage to clear my head and I managed to create the eighth bindrune I needed and I'm happy with it. Also, your suggestion of nine parts of a whole gave me a spot of inspiration. See, the idea of this is that it's going to be one massive inscription of runes. It will be arranged in the eight-pointed formation of the Helm of Awe or Runic Compass runes you'd be familiar with, with a bindrune at each point. As I said, I finally designed the eighth which took me ages. The inspiration for a ninth though, will be formed by the use of a ninth bindrune in the middle of the whole formation, a simple but powerful one made of Gebo and Algiz. The purpose of the ninth would be, in essence, to join them all together at the root.

I imagine it's fairly difficult to picture it all. I've now gotten all the pieces made, I just need to put them together now. Pictures once that's done.

You can usually find rune dice at various head shops that deal in tarot and other sundries, but they're usually a set of four six-sided dice, which isn't right.

The futhark is normally arranged into 3 aettirs (or eights) named for Freya, Hagal and Tyr, which would work better as each aettir properly arranged on it's own eight-sided die instead of broken up on four six-siders.

Makes them more portable than stones or cards which need more room to be used, one can toss dice virtually anywhere.

The helm sounds very interesting, I haven't done much with them as of yet but I do know about about their construction.

I look forward to seeing it.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:03 pm »

I've never come across 8 sided dice from a norse context.  They did however have 4 sided dice. These were rectangular with ring and dot motifs on the long sides only - the square ends were not marked.

Of course they also had six sided dice.

Knucklebones have four faces - they might be useful.

BE SPLENDID!
Marrock
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2009, 05:50:03 pm »

I've never come across 8 sided dice from a norse context.  They did however have 4 sided dice. These were rectangular with ring and dot motifs on the long sides only - the square ends were not marked.

Of course they also had six sided dice.

Knucklebones have four faces - they might be useful.

There's nothing norse about the eight-siders, but since the runes are broken down into sets of eight they make sense for rune dice, especially since I usually do three rune spreads when casting.

I'd rather carry three dice around than a heavy bag of stones or a deck of cards that can get damaged.

Consider it a modern adaptation of an ancient technique.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2009, 06:08:59 pm »

Fair enough. Best of fortune with the project.
Marrock
« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »

Fair enough. Best of fortune with the project.

Right now it's on hold pending my finding some fallen ash branches on one of my velocipede outings.
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:49 pm »

Your project sounds intriguing.  What is it exactly, and what is its purpose?  With the talk of bindrunes I would imagine that it is some sort of protective piece?  Or is this a divination tool of sorts?  Please pardon my naievete, I am not well versed in Runic lore.

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10:46 pm »

You can usually find rune dice at various head shops that deal in tarot and other sundries, but they're usually a set of four six-sided dice, which isn't right.

The futhark is normally arranged into 3 aettirs (or eights) named for Freya, Hagal and Tyr, which would work better as each aettir properly arranged on it's own eight-sided die instead of broken up on four six-siders.

Makes them more portable than stones or cards which need more room to be used, one can toss dice virtually anywhere.

The helm sounds very interesting, I haven't done much with them as of yet but I do know about about their construction.

I look forward to seeing it.
Principle is sound, I hadn't thought of the three divisions but it makes sense to divvy them up on three dice like that. Much more then on four, anyway.

Your project sounds intriguing.  What is it exactly, and what is its purpose?  With the talk of bindrunes I would imagine that it is some sort of protective piece?  Or is this a divination tool of sorts?  Please pardon my naievete, I am not well versed in Runic lore.
Nobody starts knowing these things, I'm happy to answer your questions! Thus begins your crash course in Bindrune constructions. Firstly, as you may have guessed, I'm dealing with only Norse Runes of the Elder Futhark(a runic alphabet). Now, you've probably seen a fair number of them all ready. For the purposes of this discussion, the exact meanings aren't important.

So, we have what I'll call Simple Runes. These are the base runes taken straight from the Futhark.
http://www.tarahill.com/websmith/futhark.gif

Now, a Bindrune can be used for a myriad of different things. The theory behind them is that you take two or more Simple Runes and lay them on top of eachother. This creates a new rune, a Bindrune, which combines the meanings of it's parts. They can be simple, or extremely complicated. You could also combine multiples of the same rune to amplify themselves. Here is an example made from two runes layed on top of eachother. One is in white, the other in black.
http://www.runes-for-health-wealth-love-now.com/images/BINDRUNETHURISAZHAGALAZNEW.jpg

Now, stepping away from that is what's called the Aegisjalmer or Helm of Awe. It is a specific rune with a specific meaning. It's characterized by the 'spoked wheel' look of it's deign. http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/aegishjalmur3.gif

Now, if one were to take that 'Helm of Awe Formation' and put different Simple Runes or even Bindrunes at the end of each spoke, it would make a very powerful albiet quite complicated rune. In this picture you can see two in this spoked wheel shape. The one on the left uses Simple Runes on each spoke. The one on the right has a mix, using mostly Simple Runes as well as three Bindrunes. http://www.runemaker.com/images/wares/helm2_400.jpg

My project is along those lines. It will be an eight spoked 'Helm of Awe' with a Bindrune on each spoke, most of which are created out of three Simple Runes, though there are two that used four. Thanks to Marrock's suggestion there will also be a ninth Bindrune in the middle.

And there we go. Crash course, eh? Hope it was informative.
Marrock
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:44 pm »

The helms were also the inspiration for the Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs you can still find on folks barns and suchlike.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2009, 04:12:33 am »

It is ready!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Big ju-ju, that.
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2009, 06:59:52 am »

Mr. O'Byrne - Thank you for your thorough yet easy to understand explanation.  Apart from whatever power they possess, the wheel-shaped bindrunes are quite aesthetically pleasing simply from a design standpoint.

Excellent job!
insanity assasin
Gunner

« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2009, 06:02:44 pm »

I Do Request Membership in this fine organization! As a chaos magician , i find this to be of some interest....

excellent work on the bindrunes , btw..... Smiley

Dear Blinkered Friends-If Program There Is, Is Survival The Program ?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:25 am »

So would it be a passibly-accurate summation to say that the "bind" in "bindrune" refers to the construction of the rune (ie. through the binding together of simple runes), rather than its application?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2009, 11:14:34 am »

So would it be a passibly-accurate summation to say that the "bind" in "bindrune" refers to the construction of the rune (ie. through the binding together of simple runes), rather than its application?
Yes. I don't know the etymology of the term, but as far as I know that is completely accurate.
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:32 pm »

do you have, or is there any where i can find, the meanings of the runes

Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter
insanity assasin
Gunner

« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:19 pm »

this may help.....

http://sunnyway.com/runes/
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:16 pm »

thank you, thea reason i asked is because i created a bindrune without even realising i had by intertwining the runeic translation of my initials (B and M) and upon realising its bind rune status wanted to know what it represented
Marrock
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2009, 07:43:28 pm »

Berkana and Ehwaz, runes that, to my understanding, represent growth and movement or progress.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:20 pm »

this may help.....

http://sunnyway.com/runes/
That's a good source and one of the ones I used.

I would agree with Berkano(B) being growth. It deals with fetility, personal growth and liberation. It is related to spring and thus has matters of renewal or new beginnings or growth involved as well. Prosperity as well.

Now, on your M rune. Is this the rune that looks like M or the rune that represents M? They're not the same

Ehwaz which represents (E) but  looks like our letter M does indeed deal with movement and progress as Marrock has said. It deals with travel, both physical and metaphysical. Positive change. There are also connotations of Harmony, or teamwork and of trust and loyalty.

Alternatively there is Mannaz, which looks similar but actually does represent (M). It is centralized on the Self or Mankind as a whole. It has power involved with your attitudes towards others, or theirs towards you. Social order, structure or cooperation. It also deals with creative skill or ability, and intelligence and forethought.

Two fairly different meanings. Anyways, hope this helped.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: