The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 24, 2017, 05:31:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P.A.V.T. T.V.S.C (Twin Voltaic Coil Steamcannon) *Completed Pics on page 13*  (Read 28726 times)
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:45 pm »

Agree with the previous posts......6 looks imho much better.......
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2009, 11:12:40 pm »

Absolutely!

Six look much better as each one is 'framed' by the negative space around it (always celebrate the negative spoace I say).

Given the rectangular framing, two rows of three works, unless you can add a circular background to the rectangular space (a tin lid that fits?) and then attatch five or six in a circle, then it might look like the disc in the background rotates as the weapon discharges?

Anyway - you got some nice detail work happening there sir.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
von Corax
Spam Camper
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 12:28:09 am »

Add another vote for the six-nozzle configuration.

Crowding the nozzles together somehow makes them seem smaller. The six-pack seems more businesslike, as though the nozzles will need the elbow-room when they get down to work.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Matt_Splicer
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 12:53:24 am »

more is good. the 10 setup looks like it's meant to take down whole swathes of the enemy in one shot.

overkill FTW

projects started:18, ray guns: 12,  costumes: 3
other: 3

completed: tbc
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 04:02:51 am »

Well HAC has come back with a preliminary 3d model of the back pack....all i can say is  WOW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it's still a WIP, and i have absolutely no idea if i can do this design justice...lol but it's amazing and I will try my best!

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:08 am »

The basic idea I had was to have the backpack incorporate water and fuel reservoirs as well as a two boiler (High and low pressures) setup. The high pressure side supplies the steam directly to the weapon, where the low(er) pressure side drives a small vertical steam engine driving a generator to provide the needed electricty.
The idea was to make the steam plant aspect of the weapon more probable from a steam engineering standpoint, even in a steampunk setting. (note, I am still "suspending belief" to some degree, from an engineering standpoint, but heck, it sure is a fun project to be involved with, and I am thanksful for the chance to help out)

Lots more work, fittings, etc, but I think there's plenty of opportunity..
Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:51 am »

Engine bits added... Need to do the piping and bracing/strapping..

Cheers
Harold
James Brittenham
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2009, 06:53:32 am »

Personally, I think those boilers should be many fewer pieces; like one, or two. As it is, with all those rivets, it just seems prone to rupturing.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:47 am »

O_O

That is great Harold, thank you soo much!

I take it i would need 3d max or the like to view it at different angles?

James he just had that mash left over, they won;'t look like that in the final product iirc
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 07:08:28 am »

Personally, I think those boilers should be many fewer pieces; like one, or two. As it is, with all those rivets, it just seems prone to rupturing.

I;ve worked on real boilers (in the 4500HP range  Grin). They are riveted in sections and staybolted from the inside.. They look this way in the 3d model simply because I used a stick texture to give the impression of a boiler shell. Its easily changed. In fact, most boilers are lagged and sheeted to give a smooth external apperance, I could change the etxture to suit. The final render will be quite different, I'm sure.. I usually texture stuff in differing textures simply to give a visual separation to the individual groupings when I'm putting stuff together.  Final texturing is always the last step.

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:11:52 am by HAC » Logged
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2009, 07:09:35 am »

O_O

That is great Harold, thank you soo much!

I take it i would need 3d max or the like to view it at different angles?

James he just had that mash left over, they won;'t look like that in the final product iirc

I use Bryce for most of my work. I can render you as many differing points of view as needed.... If you have Bryce, I can send you the final files..

Cheers
Harold
RowanAmeth
Officer

SIN, SIN, COS, SIN, 3.14159!

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:20 am »

I use Bryce for most of my work. I can render you as many differing points of view as needed.... If you have Bryce, I can send you the final files..

Cheers
Harold

THAT was done in BRYCE? You have far more patience than I. Aligning things just right on a curved surface like that is an exercise in tedium, nudging things just a little to get it to work. And don't get me started on getting textures right. What version do you have, anyway? I stopped at 5, after Corel (I think) bought it.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »

I only have Bryce 5 free but if i can view them that would be great =D

UPDATE:
So i went out tonight to get the gauge faces that Herr Döktor made me printed, and was nice as the guy was he blew up the small one thus distorting them =(

Anyways i had to remake the gauge pod lens cover to accommodate the gauges with their holders, so now it;'s a complete 8mm camcorder tape holder...lol

I also added a LED light, but as i only had red on hand thats whats in there, i made a box for the light out of styrene and lined it with aluminum foil (the box is about 1.2 inches wide..lol

Only thing that worries me, is that even without the LED connected, the batteries were getting warm, which leads me to believe either i have a faulty switch OR i wired something wrong.

It works tho, it;'s not super bright but it works. I will probably go to RS today and get a toggle switch to fit in better, and possibly a white or blue led instead.

Quick question, single RED led, powered by 2 1.5v AA batteries should be ok with out a resistor right? (i am terrible at battery/switch wiring, give me a PC anyday...lol)

Anyway here are the pics, gauges are only held on with tape atm till i finalize the desing and finish painting it:

Still lits to do, including making needles for these.

Grin
Dcoy
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2009, 02:11:41 pm »

Once LEDs hit their forward voltage they don't have a lot of resistance.  I would but a small resistor in,  something like 470 ohm.  If memory serves that would suffice.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2009, 05:59:20 pm »

Cheers
Harold

THAT was done in BRYCE? You have far more patience than I. Aligning things just right on a curved surface like that is an exercise in tedium, nudging things just a little to get it to work. And don't get me started on getting textures right. What version do you have, anyway? I stopped at 5, after Corel (I think) bought it.

Yes, Bryce has its, well, quirks, especially when trying to align things. And don't get me started on the texture tool, or the rather odd way that photo textures sometimes refuse to work..
Currently working with Bryce 6.1, been using Bryce since the first Windows version came out way back when.. I'll post the bryce files for this later on..

Cheers
Harold
James Brittenham
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2009, 06:36:13 pm »

I use Wings3D; while simple, it's free, and that's important to me.

Also, looking good on those gauges.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:29 pm »

Oh, I'm liking the back pack!

And I'm pleased that you like the guages!

Smiley

Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:35 pm »

Yes I do good Döktor, tho as i said i need to get them printed proper. =)

I solved my little LED dilemma, i had wired the switch to both leads...LOL (do not attempt micro electronics at 5am), atm now i am trying to decide if i want to use the red LED, a frosted yellow one or a white one. I may even use blue as it may appear....oh i have said too much O_O...

Stay tuned i have more up my sleeve today =D
James Brittenham
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2009, 08:56:41 pm »

I know little about electronics, but I think I know that that is wrong. That would be called a short circuit, no?

I suggest not blue for the LED; I'd say yellow, as I think it more steamy.
Dcoy
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:15 pm »

I know little about electronics, but I think I know that that is wrong. That would be called a short circuit, no?

Yes it would be called a short.  A diode is pretty much a one way digital switch, and an LED gives off light once the switch it closed.  Resistors are "needed" pretty much all the time with LEDs, they help prolong their life and in the process dim them. 

IMHO a small LED circuit with out a resistor would be fine as long as the circuit isn't being run non-stop, running the circuit with little resistance will fry the wires after a short time.  If you smell the smoke trying to escape, shut it off for a few minute Smiley

In other news, the gun looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:20:32 pm by Dcoy » Logged
Alexander Edmund Clough
Snr. Officer

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »

Oh my.

The gun is looking awesome and I love the display unit. That's really coming along a treat!

And HAC's backback design is fabulous. Can't wait to see it transformed from a rendering to the real thing!

Bravo!

So God Save the Queen, 'Cause anything is possible for a man in a top hat with a monkey with a monocle!

RowanAmeth
Officer

SIN, SIN, COS, SIN, 3.14159!

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2009, 01:34:06 am »

Cheers
Harold

Yes, Bryce has its, well, quirks, especially when trying to align things. And don't get me started on the texture tool, or the rather odd way that photo textures sometimes refuse to work..
Currently working with Bryce 6.1, been using Bryce since the first Windows version came out way back when.. I'll post the bryce files for this later on..

Cheers
Harold

Oh, don't feel like you have to, I haven't seriously used Bryce in years. Seeing the renders is enough for me.

Also, to Prof. Taggert, I like the way your TVCS is shaping up, I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. I followed your monoggle project, so I know great things are to come.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2009, 02:28:25 am »

Added the generator unit, and some more piping, working on an electrical box to fill in the space below the generator, as well as some other detail work..

Cheers
Harold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:21 am »

Harold,

That is simply amazing! You will of course have to explain all this to me when i go to build it...LOL

Any suggestions on what would work for the components, without weighing 40 tons..lol

Oh btb...4500hp steam engine? O_O

And a small update,
painted the gauge housing, and changed over to a yellow LED:

Soorry for the fuzziness, my camer is kinda fail for darker pics
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2009, 03:06:52 am »

Harold,

Oh btb...4500hp steam engine? O_O

locomotive actually, CPR 2816 was good for 4700 HP at 55MPH and 45,300 lbs of tractive effort. Spent the last 4 years of my time at CP part-time helping out with the restoration..

As far as building.. stryene, foamboard and balsa will keep the weight down. I;m thinking you could use something like a 2 liter soda bottle for the fuel tank, and the boilers could be made out of artists or bristol board...

Cheers
Harold
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: