The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 06:28:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make some goggles like Trent Reznor's  (Read 5206 times)
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« on: December 24, 2008, 02:07:43 pm »

Does anyone know how to make or where to get Trent Reznor's goggles in the music video for Closer?

Small pic of them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The youtube video(still NSFW)

Okay! The video is watched, and these goggles would appear to be not too dissimilar from what I would think of as regular goggles
If you make a pattern like in that tutorial and make the goggles out of thick black leather that should look good, and like they do in that video. The nose peice is just a wider than normal strip , however the lenses appear to have screws going through them Huh
You could use plastic for the lense and drill through it then put some little nuts and bolts through it, kind of like this:

You could make those little metal 90o bend peices and paint them black for the screws to go through, also there's some kind of rim around the lense it looks like it's under these little metal peices with the screws in, perhaps that could be made from some black leather too Smiley
Looking on ebay for some army goggles, as maduncle says, might be a good idea too Smiley even if it is just for better pictures of some similar to make your own!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:51:39 pm by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:06:00 am »

Hmmmm

look like army surplus to me , with some additional stud work around the lens. the rubber surrounds and nose bridge suggest army. I have seen asome intersting eBay army surplus soviet or chinese goggles - but then I am sure you have too!

Any other thoughts chaps?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Only going to live twice

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:46:37 am »

My first goggles were based off those.  I started with a steel pipe, sut it to length, then cut a castle pattern into the end,  bent over the tabs, and intended to screw the lenses to the goggles through those tabs. 

they failed though..  Undecided

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:32:07 pm »

For an in-between type of easy free goggles, you might like to try my goggles which you can see full instructions for at http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-realistic-Steampunk-Airship-Goggles/

More durable than cardboard but easier than metal and rubber/leather. The whole thing from household recycling bin stuff.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: