The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 27, 2017, 02:01:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The PAVT Ind. IORA (Monoggle project is complete *Sorta*) 12/31  (Read 24771 times)
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« on: December 05, 2008, 05:35:31 am »

Greetings everyone,
I am new here to the forums and this is my first real foray into the world of Steampunk. I have always had a special place in my heart for older eras, and for mechanical things that never existed, yet could.

Ok enough about me, onto my project  Grin

I decided to attempt a monoggle (ty von Corax for the correct term) as my first try for 2 reasons:
1. it's half a pair of goggles so only half the shot to mess up...lol
2. It is a gift for a dear friend who is blind in his right eye due to a accident. So goggles would not be as cool on him.

Now i am only at the mock up stage and i really want you opinions on what to add to make it more steamy
Parts used for mock up are:
Vitamin water bottle *the larger ones* cap and top section cutout.
7 Up can bottom trimmed , cut , folded and center removed
innertube rubber for mock up of the leather piece
piece of mesh for filler till i decide on a lens.

For the lens, i was gonna try making one out of acrylic (same stuff for jewelers) as suggested by my lovely friend who also helped with the construction of this mock up. I was gonna place a set of rods in the mold to form a cross hair type look for the eye. He is quite the video game sniper so i felt it was fitting =)

Anywho here is a pic so you can get a idea of the shape:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please any tips, tricks, suggestions you have feel free to leave them =D

Thanks for looking.
Tag
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:09:20 am by Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt » Logged

DrTom
Snr. Officer

Mad Psyentist

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:42:29 am »

A wonderful start!  The obvious care that  you're giving this is bound to produce a brilliant device.

One potential addition, especially if you plan on providing cross-hairs, is a small red LED just above or to the side of the lens, to give the impression of a laser sight.

"We are the music makers.
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,"
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy
Cornelius Finch
Gunner

SCIENCE!

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:52:09 am »

usually for crosshairs i use well...a cross. i picked up some very nice celtic cross...things..from joann's etc. in the jewlery department. as far as mounting it goes you can get a small wooden dowel cut it in half, paint it and then hot glue or craft epoxy the cross to the dowell. you can glue the little wooden stick to either the top with cross facing downward or on the underside with the cross facing upward.

Don't go in there!...it's dark in there...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:10:27 am »

A splendid beginning at converting what would otherwise be garbage into a work of art. (If you've read William Gibson, you've probably encountered the character known as Gomi-no-Sensei.)

This may have already occurred to you, but if your friend would not take it amiss you could make the monogoggle (actually, it's properly a monoggle – a monogoggle has one lens which covers both eyes) for your friend's right eye. This would afford you considerably more lattitude in designing the lens insert, as you'd not have to worry about obstructing his vision.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:34:36 am »

Thanks for the kind words gents!

von Corax
I am indeed making this for his right eye, as he has almost 0 sight in that he could wear this and still maneuver around..lol I do not believe i have read Mr. Gibson's work, but for some reason the name Gomi-no-Sensei sounds familiar.

Mr. Finch,
I understand what your saying, sort of...lol The dowel/direction of the cross part is for some reason confusing me.

DrTom,
I had thought of the led idea but i am saving that for my set of goggles once i pick up a base set to work with, tho with how the freebie mock up turned out I may use items around the house to craft my own pair giving me a more accomplished feel =D

Again thank you all for the suggestions. Now i am aware that brass and brown leather is a must, but can black leather be substituted? He is a goth/industrial type and black would much better suit him.

On a side note i have this little gem sitting on my desk waiting to be utilized. I know it's a jewelers lens and i know it's brass just not sure how old it is:

The little legs on the lower half unscrew and the lens is held in place by a thinner metal sheet thats threaded. Have yet to figure out how to remove that part...lol

Any ideas on time period for this little guy?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:57:09 am by Taggert » Logged
R J Gibson
Gunner

Photographic Artist

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:20:17 am »

Welcome to the forum. Your Loupe is probably 1880-1920s. however there are modern reproductions out there. It was used for fine focus work for jewelry or focusing a view camera on the ground glass. Worth between $25-$125. The legs should unscrew also. You should be able to attach it to your project without destroying it, in case you want to use bring it back to original. Keep us posted. R J Gibson

blackdragon
Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:37:26 pm »

I respect your desire to make a gift for your friend, but if I may suggest..... Go ahead and make the goggle frame. Now just put a lens in the left side. Use the right side to mount several flip-down or slide out accessory lenses, cross hair, magnifier, solar filter or anything else that would be appropriate. Sort of a Steamy "Borg" look.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:10:28 am »

Small update

Well i have been tinkering with this for a couple days now, I designed a lower piece for the larger leather section, and i also created a nifty button cell battery holder.

First pic is a trick to keep smaller button cells together, it's a trimmed down large Dunkin donuts straw =D
Second is the side piece that will house the wires and micro switch for the led's
Big pics inside:

It still has a long way to go, i also have to do a second stitching. The battery holder is comprised of 2 pens, the switch housing from a led flashlight, a spring inside the top part and a metal tab on the bottom, The top section can unscrew to replace the batteries.

Oh the side piece is a gearbox cover from my Mini T rc truck..lol.  Lemme know what ya think.

Tag =D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:00:32 am by Taggert » Logged
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:03:03 am »

Ever misjudge a screws length? Well i sure did...lol. Went and bought some brass screws to attach the housing to the lens section, got them a wee bit too long...wait who am i kidding i could prolly attach them to the other side ..lol.

Also i need a idea of where to place the micro switch for the lights, nd on that note i found some really strong little red ones in my collection. So keep checking i  will have new pics soon Grin
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:11 am »

Small update:
Made a led laser sight light thing..lol
Utilizing a brass pen tip, led and part of the same pen i just need to figure out a mounting solution for it and get it wired up.
Any more suggestions will be welcome =)

heres a mock up using 2 different lens configurations, I am still unsure if the piping is too much I am horrible at bending aluminum pipe as it breaks way to easy, any tips would be welcome. I want to use copper tube but i imagine thats even harder to bend?
Warning Large Photos
the first has a extra cap attached making the front farther out. Second is how it normally is. I also plan on making the leather part bigger and better. Just need to find a suitable leather =)
Dark shot with sight mocked up:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:01:46 am by Taggert » Logged
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »

<snip>
heres a mock up using 2 different lens configurations, I am still unsure if the piping is too much I am horrible at bending aluminum pipe as it breaks way to easy, any tips would be welcome. I want to use copper tube but i imagine thats even harder to bend?
<snip>

Looking good so far - I like the weathered leather. Soft copper is very easy to bend especially with the right tool. It does work harden if bent too often but can be annealed to make it bendable again. Tubing of any type can kink if bent by hand so again a bending tool will help (looks like a long coil spring).

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 07:12:16 pm »

Thanks for the tip Araneas. I will try to hunt on of those down today. I would rather use copper because it looks better , really it's just protecting the wires, which i suppose i could have put inside tubing for a fish tank..lol but i am trying to stay in the steampunk side and not drift too far over to cyber punk.

My biggest concern is it looking gaudy or lame when it's done =/
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »

mmmmmmm monogogle .. i have a telescope end thats crying out to be turned into a monogoggle

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 03:35:54 am »

Reworked the side piece i think its better now, I am going to replace the aluminum tube with brass when i get some tomorrow. Alla in all I am pleased. I still have ALOT to do, paint, doodads, gluing of parts etc. Ill keep ya informed as i go =D
Naravus
Officer

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:31:00 am »

Very nice, at first glance (after forgetting the title) I thought the build was for a respirator of sorts but as a monoggle it looks even better! Very borg-ish I think.

-One of the No-names

Mundus vult decipi

Learn about my insanity at http://naravus-mundusvultdecipi.blogspot.com/
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:23 am »

Fascinating to watch something like this evolve in near-real-time, as it were.

On bending tubing, I've read the suggestion in other threads to fill the tubing with sand before bending it, to prevent it kinking. If you don't have sand handy, I expect table salt would work nearly as well.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 06:56:52 am »

Hey von =D

Thanks for that tip, thats really handy to know =D

I'll have anew development (pun intended) in a few just trying to figure out a mounting solution.

On a side note, my friend has seen this and would rather have one made with black leather and his input...sooo this is now mine... which is going to lead to a whole character development. I'll fill you in when i get a bit closer to finishing.
=D
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:18:04 am »

Ok so heres the item i was talking about:
it's a camera lens inside a mini led flashlight rear section and a mounting plate. Intended to capture a picture of the target before it is vaporized.
The lens cover as it were is a model car rim i had laying around, not sure if i am gonna use it, I may try to locate a gold plated one to make it fit better.

This will be mounted to the top side of the main housing. I will add some wire and possibly some other bits. Don;t mind the color as it will all be painted.

heres a mock up of everything so far, the wires will be hidden and i still have to add the micro switch to get the lights going. Have not decided on if i want a blue or red light behind the main lens:
WARNING LARGE PICS
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:39:53 am by Taggert » Logged
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:37 am »

Fascinating to watch something like this evolve in near-real-time, as it were.

On bending tubing, I've read the suggestion in other threads to fill the tubing with sand before bending it, to prevent it kinking. If you don't have sand handy, I expect table salt would work nearly as well.

I've heard that you can use ice, esp for the smaller tube diameters.  Fill, freeze, bend.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 05:11:06 am »

More update goodness  Grin

I reconfigured the laser acquisition system to be self contained. much soldering and fussing later:
4th shot is with the lights off if you could not tell..lol

Losts more to do, still have to figure out a mounting solution, and restitch the leather, add the light and switch for the main lens etc etc

Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 08:46:47 am »

BAh ran into a snag...
The light drains too much power from the 3 1.5v batteries. it's has gone terribly dim =(

I would use more but the design won;t allow it, perhaps i need better batteries...tho it's odd that 3 of these batteries ran 9 led's on the flashlight they came out of but one little led sucked them dry...lol

Any suggestions would be welcome =D
JackDelo
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »

There's a great flea market weekends on 25th between Broadway and 6th. There's some people there with watches and other misc. goodies for cheap sometimes, you should check it out. Also between 6th and 7th, there is a parking garage (big blue sign, says PARK in yellow letters hung vertically) that is cleared out on saturdays to make a large indoor market. Two floors of awesome antique goodness. I highly recommend the garage one. I met a watch guy there, a 50-something Russian guy named Pavell. I don't think he'll sell you any parts, because he just deals in complete pieces, but he could probably tell you where to go.

Good luck.
Wisconsin Platt
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »

BAh ran into a snag...
The light drains too much power from the 3 1.5v batteries. it's has gone terribly dim =(

I'm far from an expert, but do you have a resistor in your circuit.  I didn't see it mentioned, but I may have overlooked it.

Without a resistor, you may be feeding the LED too much and that dimming is from the LED burning out.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz will tell you what type of resistor you'd need.

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 11:06:43 pm »

Ya know Mr.Platt i thought the same thing, but it seems that the led just is a bit more powerful than the 4.5v's i am running through it. I have a few put one on a 12 and it was like a supernova, yet did not burn out (the N cell 12v ones) I then tried a 9 volt and much smoke and sizzling ensued =/

I will figure something out, even if it is just a idea of a laser pointer I will be happy =)

Off to get paint in a few, should have more pics tonight.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:37 pm »

Did some painting , not done yet but since BG is down i figured i would post it here. Going to get the copper tube and brass sheet tomorrow and I still have to restitch (can you tell i'm putting that off..lol), also the bolts holding the camera are temporary till i cut them down. Also need t figure out how to mount the side piece, i was thinking of a brass strip bracket.

Lemme know what ya think, good or bad =D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: