The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:42:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Computer Games Thread  (Read 202473 times)
zombiefriend
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: September 08, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »

Ooh, I just remembered a great Steampunk game:

Syberia

A really good game, though a bit slow-paced for some. It's dripping with Steampunk though.

Oh, wow. This looks good.

"They're coming..."
Professor Veritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #326 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

Syberia

A really good game, though a bit slow-paced for some. It's dripping with Steampunk though.

The original Syberia and its sequel are very steampunk - and also very good games.  They might be a bit difficult to find these days - and they can be a bit buggy at times - but all in all a great set of "steamy" diversions.

Regards,
Prof. Veritas
zombiefriend
Deck Hand

« Reply #327 on: September 08, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

I'm actually playing it right now. IanBrettCooper is right, though. It is a little slow, but I have a feeling it'll start to pick up. Otherwise, it's definitely very steampunk-like. I'm enjoying that aspect a lot.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »

Well, after reading through here, the ONE game I was going to offer up was "Skies of Arcadia," but it has already been mentioned several times!  It IS a great game, and if you've not played it, I strongly suggest that you do (Skies of Arcadia Legends for Gamecube will be easier to find than the original Dreamcast release)!

Lesse here...  Fable 2 was somewhat steampunkish (I feel Fable 3 will be even moreso), BioShock (and the sequel) always gets a nod it seems...  I'd also have to say Fallout 3, granted it's more dieselpunk, but still, a good game none the less...  Strongly recommended!

The thread started off with Myst, and yeah, GREAT gems there.

Syberia

The original Syberia and its sequel are very steampunk - and also very good games.  They might be a bit difficult to find these days - and they can be a bit buggy at times - but all in all a great set of "steamy" diversions.

Regards,
Prof. Veritas

Yes.  My brother introduced me to this game for Xbox.  IT is VERY steamy!...  that didnt come out quite right... Undecided

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Eladrial
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2010, 11:13:22 pm »

Hey thanks Xenos for opening my eyes to the worl of Dieselpunk never heard of it before.... until now a quick google search and im hooked lol !
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:57 am »

Hey thanks Xenos for opening my eyes to the worl of Dieselpunk never heard of it before.... until now a quick google search and im hooked lol !

Hey, no problem!  My brother is the one what introduced me to the concept, and Fallout 3 is what sort of, sealed the deal as it were!  If you've not played it, I STRONGLY suggest it!  One of the best games out there (Portal is THE best, but it's not steampunk AT ALL...)
Colonel Sanders
Deck Hand

« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:07 am »

Does this count? It's browser/text-based, so no fancy graphics =( but it's more about imagination and creativity, and community involvement.

Still in "beta testing" if you want to put it that way.

http://www.steampunkrpg.spruz.com/
AmericanPianist
Deck Hand

I live vicariously through myself.

« Reply #332 on: September 29, 2010, 07:22:43 am »

Oh man, the Syberia games!   I haven't played those in forever.  I may have to see if I can find me some copies and run through them again... Unfortunate that it isn't on Steam or Impulse.  I suppose that would be too easy.

Does this count? It's browser/text-based, so no fancy graphics =( but it's more about imagination and creativity, and community involvement.

Still in "beta testing" if you want to put it that way.

http://www.steampunkrpg.spruz.com/

Have you actually played this, Colonel Sanders?  The game seems early enough that they don't have easily accessible information on the site (which they admit to, in their favor) so I'd be curious to hear what it's like.

I live vicariously through myself.
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Steam.

« Reply #333 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

The Wheelock Rifle in Guildwars 2:

Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2010, 11:33:48 pm »

Apologies that this is slightly off topic, but I was wondering if any you chaps and chapesses had any more info on this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was nothing else with the pic, and I'm assuming that it's Diesal Cosplay, but it looks like it could be a working chainsaw on a real gun, possibly being held by a real soldier. It's pretty obvious where the inspiration came from. I'm just hoping they are not now standard issue. 
All I can say is ....ouch!  Shocked

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
elShoggotho
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2010, 02:08:15 am »

Pretty sure the inspiration came from Warhammer 40K. Wink
zombiefriend
Deck Hand

« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2010, 06:49:04 pm »

I really hope you're not trying to say you believe it'll be used in real combat, and that it's not obviously a guy just tinkering with his gun for fun.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:30 pm »

Yes of course they will! A fat bloke down the pub told me.
So it must be true!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:17 am »

Looks like a friggin Lancer from Gears of War...  Hate those games.  With a PASSION.  But the Lancer IS pretty sweet...

Good for zombies, too!

"WHHHHEEEERRRRRRRRREEEEEESSSSS MYYYYYY WWWWWWIIIIIIFFFFEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!"

Hehe...  Gears of Awesome.  I go watch now...
Reuna
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2010, 12:51:31 pm »

Are airships involved on any level?
-matt
There is an airship in the third game. Unfortunately I can't find a screenshot of it.

I don't know if anyone said this already (too many pages, can't read all of them) but the first Myst-game had something like an airship too... You started it by playing some tune on an organ of some sorts (hey, it had to be an airship, it was on dry land... Don't remember what happened after that tho...) Myst forever =)

No one's mentioned American McGee's Alice? Yeah, Wonderland is a little strange but you'll find lots and lost of gears and steam there =D I love that game.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

It was a rocket ship and it took you to the next world. I think (if memory serves) it took you to some volcanic region and you had to solve some "soundwave machine" then use the underground "track car" to navigate a maze to get out.(that part was a pain in the a$$)

Arvis

P.S. If I got any of that wrong it's because I didn't bother to look it up. Hell, I just realized how old that game is. (myself for that matter)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #341 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:32 pm »

its not exactly steampunk.  But Iron horses is a train sim game that takes place in the old west (hence the name).

There are decorative objects like copper boilers, and what not.

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2010, 03:20:38 pm »

It was a rocket ship and it took you to the next world. I think (if memory serves) it took you to some volcanic region and you had to solve some "soundwave machine" then use the underground "track car" to navigate a maze to get out.(that part was a pain in the a$$)

Arvis

P.S. If I got any of that wrong it's because I didn't bother to look it up. Hell, I just realized how old that game is. (myself for that matter)

You are correct, sir (being old myself)...  Wink

A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »

Arvis

You are correct, sir (being old myself)...  Wink

Hell; I knew that and I have yet to even reach 20! Please tell me Myst isn't being defined as "an old people's game"? It was remade recently as well Cry
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »

Not in the least, sir; Myst is as ageless as the Riddle of the Sphinx - although, if you remember when THAT was first published, you'd be old as well...  Wink
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2010, 03:47:24 pm »

Well... Tongue
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2010, 09:29:23 am »

Ok, does anyone here other than me remember the game "Freeway" for Atari 2600?  Growing up, that was one of my favorite games. 

No, not steampunk, not even CLOSE, but you were talking about OLD games...

Just sayin'.
Jifka
Swab

« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

We recently published an iPhone/iOS app called Attraxxion.  It's a physics game set in space using a cartoonish, steampunk vibe.

Attraxxion iPhone Gameplay Review - AppSpy.com

Marco Neilson
Deck Hand

Explorer and Priveteer

« Reply #348 on: November 03, 2010, 02:20:37 pm »

I should add this wonderful little turn based steam powered fighter strategy game called steam birds. wonderfully simple game mechanics with complicated aerial combat situations.

Armor games currently has it here:
http://armorgames.com/play/5426/steambirds

I much prefer working as a priveteer as the government sees it as a national service
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2010, 12:55:38 pm »

- EA Partners, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. today announced an exclusive agreement with independent developer, Vanguard Games, to publish the new dual-analogue shooter, Gatling Gears(TM). From the team that created the award-winning Greed Corp, comes the new game Gatling Gears, set within the same Mistbound universe featuring signature elements like collapsing land, walker units and warring factions, but now with twin-stick shooter controls and a new hero, Max Brawley. In this eclectic steampunk setting, players fill the air with lead as they try to defeat a monopolistic corporation that is depleting the world of its natural resources. Gatling Gears will launch on Xbox LIVE(R) Arcade, PlayStation(R) Network and PC in Spring 2011.

Martin de Ronde, Chief Commercial Officer of Vanguard Games, commented, "It is very exciting to be part of an indie studio again, and bringing best practices from my experience at Guerrilla Games to the development of downloadable games. We feel Gatling Gears is a great representation of what our incredibly talented team is capable of and we can't wait to bring this game to market together with a strong publisher like EA Partners."

"When Vanguard Games first showed us Gatling Gears, it was clear we were looking at a best-in-class title developed by people who are passionate about making fun, accessible games," said Jamil Moledina, Outreach Director, Business Development at EA Partners. "Given our strategy of partnering with the top developers in the world, we are very excited to work with Vanguard as they advance the classic twin-stick shooter genre with new gameplay and beautiful visuals."

Gatling Gears will be available for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360(R) videogame and entertainment system and the PC. For more information on Vanguard Games, visit their website at www.vanguardgames.net, and follow the development team on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vanguard_eg.

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: