The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 02:23:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Computer Games Thread  (Read 202102 times)
Sir Frederick
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"Brass and lots of it" :D

« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2010, 10:27:55 am »

Persoanlly I think any of the Fianl Fantasy games would sorta be considered SP because they lots of SP elements, i.e. Having to use close combat weapons, armors when you could just shoot them with big cannons.  Grin

"...do you know what else is useful...brass, lots and lots of brass, dull or shine, I don't care, as long as its brass...I'm happy..." - Sir Fredpod favourite saying.
mattig89ch
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »

Is anyone else rather excited about this game as well?  If only for the steamy world.

Edit: seems the primary creator (fuzzy eyes) is having some finacial trouble.  And is selling off some of its stock to compensate.  In the meantime a majority of the staff has been laid off.

Source:http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/03/edge-of-twilight-developer-fuzzyeyes-laid-off-majority-of-staff/

They were supposed to resume production in jan. but I can't seem to find anything about them coming back into production, or even their web site.

*sigh* it looks to be that they might never make this game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:32:54 pm by mattig89ch » Logged

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
Captaen Victor Greywind
Deck Hand

Captaen of the Hollow Wind

« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

Well; in response to the FF games being steampunk, I can understand where you are coming from. However, most of them simply fall into the category of magi-science.

However- if you are really looking for a Final Fantasy game that is steampunk, I recommend VI. Best one in the series in my opinion, and it's without a doubt the most steampunk of them all.

In response to Neosteam- the overall concept was interesting at first, however, once downloaded, I discovered serious flaws in the development, such as sling-shot movement and a somewhat "broken" loot system. The character creation also left something to be desired.

My list of "steampunk" games is fairly short, but most of them are rather good. These are just the ones that I own currently, I've played dozens, but can't recall most names.
  • Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 (depending on where you live, it could be called either)
  • Rogue Galaxy (space pirates, very "Treasure Planet"-y in feeling)
  • Final Fantasy VI (steam-mechs, generators, and other such fun)
  • Wild Arms 3 (wild west, sand-boats, and more)
  • Jak and Daxter (the original had a somewhat steam-y feel to it, with lots of copper and clunky machinery)

Sir Frederick
Deck Hand

"Brass and lots of it" :D

« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »

I've made a post before but oh well, another game to add to my list would be Lost Odessey because even though it still uses "magi-science" most of it loos steam punkish :d
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »

It may be worth saying, though NDAs make things hard, that a certain MMORPG based on little plastic bricks includes steampunk - steamy constructions, top-hats and pith-helmets can all be found in the opening sections of the game.  That is all I will say on the matter...

Also...

Sorry, I won't buy anything that has DRM, simply because DRM is a fancy way to tell the customer that he has no rights. German law guarantees me the right of a security backup, and DRM denies me that right.
Good Old Games is DRM-free, so I think the person who mentioned it must have been confused.

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
randomsteampunker1234
Swab

« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2010, 08:35:07 am »

Remnants of Skystone, a Steampunk themed online flash game-

Platforming,  with multiplayer co-op mode, a town and player-owned "floats"

http://www.kongregate.com/games/FliplineStudios/remnants-of-skystone
Veni Vidi Vinci
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2010, 02:09:55 am »

Anyone noticed the steampunk-ish details about Fallout 3? The setting might be post-apocalyptical but there was quite a bunch of small things that fascinated me, such as the Alien Blaster plus plasma ammunition, the Gauss cannon, all the nugged leather clothing and more or less improvised machinery. And apart from that it's worth a play anyway.
elShoggotho
« Reply #307 on: April 04, 2010, 02:46:17 am »

Anyone noticed the steampunk-ish details about Fallout 3? The setting might be post-apocalyptical but there was quite a bunch of small things that fascinated me, such as the Alien Blaster plus plasma ammunition, the Gauss cannon, all the nugged leather clothing and more or less improvised machinery. And apart from that it's worth a play anyway.
Most of the stuff is an offshoot of dieselpunk, with a smattering of raygun gothic, so yes, it's a distant cousin of steampunk.
Steampunk Sid
Gunner

« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2010, 07:12:50 am »

http://clockwords.us/ new word based challenge game have to save the world by using words to defeat a mechanical enemy
cptn. C
Snr. Officer

« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2010, 11:34:58 am »

The New Adventures of the Time Machine looks a little steampunk but the copy i have wont work,
also Syberia has a steampunk fell to it

if you don't live for something, you die for nothing
Chris Emrys
Deck Hand

« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2010, 07:04:00 am »

For PC games there's Return to Mysterious Island (and now Return to Mysterious Island 2) based on the Jules Verne novel (one of my favorites ever!). They seem to be mostly puzzle/environmental interaction games, but maybe once you discover the "secret" of the mysterious island you'll get to see and/or play with all the gadgets and devices. I haven't played them yet so I can't confirm this.

Also, if you're into quirky indies puzzle games you should check out The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (http://www.winterbottomgame.com/). Basically you use time paradoxes to create copies of yourself to get through the gauntlets, all for the love of pie. I love the stylistic elements - comical character design, silent film presentation, cogs and wheels everywhere powering various obstacles that stand between you and your pies. I got to play it for a bit at Wired NextFest when it was still merely a concept game and I can tell you it get's addicting after a while.
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:21 am »

Platforming,  with multiplayer co-op mode, a town and player-owned "floats"

LOL, was just going to link this myself.. the Aeronaughts are about as SteamPunk as you can get between using a steam powered jetpack and using steam blasts for attacks, not to mention they have a distinct Victorian look to their default clothing.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Call of Cthulhu."

Are you living in the real world?

Cowboy Bebop, The Movie.
Ambrose Elmstone
Swab

« Reply #312 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:02 am »

Platforming,  with multiplayer co-op mode, a town and player-owned "floats"

I play that game too
IanBrettCooper
Deck Hand

Ayup!

« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:03 am »

Red Dead Redemption deserves a mention. Not really a Steampunk game, but it is definitely Edwardian/Victorian, so it might be of interest for Steampunk fans. Also, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 are sort of Steampunk in spirit (having a mix of historical and future tech as well as 'what if' tech), although they take place in earlier eras.

Tha can tak me aht o' Yorkshire, but tha can't tak 't Yorkshire aht o' me.
Eur Eng Ulysses Lewis
Swab

« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »

Echo bazaar is a browser based game. Kinda steampunky, if you've read Neverwhere its allot like under London. Though you need a twitter account to play.

echobazaar.failbettergames.com/

I'm technocog if anyone wants to add me on twitter.

Knowledge is power
Armored Rah
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2010, 04:16:11 am »

Sorry, I won't buy anything that has DRM, simply because DRM is a fancy way to tell the customer that he has no rights. German law guarantees me the right of a security backup, and DRM denies me that right.

I consider it my right to also "OWN" anything I pay for, so I agree with elShoggotho. I also consider myself a pirate, so I "own" many things I didn't pay for.

As for really Steampunk games, it depends a lot on what aspects of steampunk each person relates to as to how steamy things seem. For some, if the player happened to have a cane, top hat and pocketwatch, they would say, "Hey, it's a steampunk game!" There are lots of games that I can relate to, that convey certain steampunk ideas, but it doesn't make them steampunk. Then there are those that really try to be steampunk and fall short or completely fail. I've tried most of the games listed and haven't been very impressed with most of them, but a few were alright. Designers need to remember, throwing gears and rayguns on there may sell some games, but overall, gameplay is still the most important thing.
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #316 on: July 25, 2010, 11:31:54 am »

i know of a few steampunk games that i cannot believe my fellow steampunks could have missed(and yes i have read this whole thread) so here they are:

nevermore- a trilogy of flash games made by some guy on deviantart (has airships and skytrains)

strormwinds- a flash game by hero interactive with more airships than you can shake a stick at (it was actually the my first ever experiance of the wonderful steampunk genere)

i have no mouth and i must scream- a very disturbing game that is based on a short story by Harlan Ellison (super hard to find these days outside of america)

dark seed 2- a game by H.R gigeir (i guess it qualifies as steampunk[also quite rare])

zoombinis: logical journy- i guess its a little more fantasy than steampunk, plus it secretly teaches you algebra(and has an awsome theme song)

rayman 2- hey its got space pirates, i mean what more could you ask for?

anyway i hope this was useful to you all.  Grin
Mr. Maxwell
Gunner

Gravatar

Smoking near gas pipes: always brilliant.

« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2010, 05:58:45 am »

Since no one's mentioned them here yet, Penny Arcade's On the Precipice of Darkness games have a definite steampunk feel to them even though they are technically set in the in the 1920's.

I was resolutely reading through the thread to see if anyone mentioned those games just so I could be sure they were covered.  It's the only video game I've gotten my girlfriend to try.

I make music I want to hear.  You should too.
www.mrmaxwellartist.com
geddy76
Swab

England England

« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2010, 12:36:04 am »

i've not read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already.

i have to make a special mention to the classic 'The Chaos Engine' by the Bitmap Brothers in the early 90's.

This was my first exposure to steampunk, until i realised i used to listen to jeff waynes war of the worlds in the early 80's that was.

anyway it was true steampunk, and not something with steampunk elements.

if you can download a good amiga emu and the game (preferrably the cd32 version), then you're in for a treat!
IanBrettCooper
Deck Hand

Ayup!

« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2010, 01:46:53 am »

Haven't read the entire thread, but just in case no one has mentioned it - the granddaddy of all Steampunk games was made into a (bad) computer game - Space 1889.
CrazyCaptainFritz
Swab

fritzfricia
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2010, 04:40:17 am »

Steampunk games? there has been a revolution of retro futuristic games that comes to mind.

Neo-Steam: Yes buggy and has its issues, still follows the ideas...mostly. I don't like the run graphics and the random bloom.
Arcanum: Oh yes, especially when you try to balance out being a tech/magic user, much more diffigult.
Myst Series: The idea of taking what you have and using it to the best ability has to be steampunk tech. Atrius uses steam for almost every island that doesn't already offer an energy source.
Allods: Yes it has fantasy written all over it, however take a look at the ships and some of the tech. Its neeto!
Wings of Icarus: its a DL game based on you being the only worker on a small airship. You have to defend your shipment and ship against other ships and planes.
Aqua: Steampunky enough to notice a mention. It relies on the ocean, but has "experimental flying craft" as part of it.
D&D Online: I know i'm gonna get flak for this, but Ebberron to me is seeped in steampunk. At least developmental tech at least.

I have to agree with the people on the Rapture/Columbia thing. It is built upon the 1940's design and feel. It could be called Steampunk in other ways, leaving out the Victorian Era mentality its completely able to live under the steampunk banner!
There is a strictly Steampunk MMO thats based heavily on the 19th century out there, still in development.

To boldly lose track of what i was doing. In hopes i don't get thrown into whatever it was.
IanBrettCooper
Deck Hand

Ayup!

« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:58 am »

Ooh, I just remembered a great Steampunk game:

Syberia

A really good game, though a bit slow-paced for some. It's dripping with Steampunk though.
ahti
Snr. Officer

I felt I should write something here.

« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:21 am »

these have probably been mentioned, but
Fable 3
Bioschock Infinite.

"All that was left was his top hat and silk scarf, the rest was just dust."
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #323 on: September 02, 2010, 06:47:46 am »

oh i just remembered a good one that i played,
iron storm... it is set in an alternate world war one
Andrew John Brevis
Deck Hand
Czech Republic Czech Republic

« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:55 pm »

Did anyone mentioned purely steampunk game "Cogs"? It has amazing graphics and gameplay.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another good logic game is "Crazy machines 2", it´s not clearly SP but it has elements
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: