The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 05:36:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 334312 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #975 on: July 19, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »

I just checked the time and date, and Yup - still single!  *sigh*

As usual, I recently met a nice lass who I got on great with, who is very intelligent (and I dare say even more than me, which is scary!), good looking, great personality, works as a pharmacy dispenser...........aaaannnd has a boyfriend.  Roll Eyes  Dammit!
Typical really, happens all the time - the only ones I attract who are 'single' are charvers (chavs), and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the faint whiff of non girobank sourced money... (they can smell a £10 note from 50 paces!)  Undecided

On a purely unrelated note; is it wrong to kill some bloke you've never met in order to steal his girlfriend - and does anyone know where I can get a wood chipper at short notice, no questions asked...?....

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:34 am »

It all depends on how much you care about how you come across.
If you're constantly fretting about the impression you're giving then you're going to give a bad one because you won't be yourself.
Funnily enough, the best person at being yourself is, coincidentally, yourself.
Don't worry nor care about what others think of you at any given moment, just behave as you are, the person that you've always been. You'll do just fine.

Click here for win. ---^
Kylen Phylar
Officer
United States United States

Zeppelins aren't the only Airships, ye know.

« Reply #977 on: July 23, 2009, 07:08:57 am »

Men? There are knaves, if that is all what they want, miss.

And despite the relative tame word I use to describe them, I do mean it.

I must most strongly agree with the esteemable Mr. Faust.  These... people... (and I feel I'm soiling the word by using it to include them) are not men, although I'd go so far as not to call them knaves either, for I know a few of these last, and most knaves would be sorely offended to be included with such churls.

No, milady, there are those of us here who appreciate far more the brain than the body, and who appreciate intellectual stimulation at least as much as that of the more coarse variety.

Although I am late to the party, as an honorable scoundrel and knave I must agree with this statement! Such men soil and ruin the good fun the rest of us have, and I will assure you I flirt with any girl who so wishes it, for all are beautfiul in their own ways, though I will admit to playing favorites to a cute young lady with glasses.

However, due to a realworld problem of broken vehicle and monetary lacking, I'm also single.

I am IM and PM Friendly! I like friends! Contact me!
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #978 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:32 pm »

Well, lads, I know I haven't been hovering around in here like I used to, and I'm afraid that's because I've been lightly courting a particular someone on this forum.

And today, in the middle of Paddington Station, whilst being run over by cleaners and angry businessmen, I asked one
Miss Aeryenne Tederich to be my girlfriend.

With some strange stroke of luck she accepted!

So I'm afraid I won't be goin' a rovin' ne' more. Good luck to you all in your (con?)quests for love!

Sincerely,
Captain C. J. Skinner

bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #979 on: July 23, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »

Though what disturbs your ease more, a man who looks about for those listening in, or the one who holds your gaze and cares not who hears?

Really? That's the impression I try to give. To care if people overhear? Why? That would assume I'm ashamed of who I'm courting - I want to let people know how lucky I am to attract such a fantastic woman.
Athena
« Reply #980 on: July 23, 2009, 11:19:52 pm »

The speech of a man should no maiden trust
nor the words which a man says;
for their hearts were shaped on a whirling wheel
and falsehood fixed in their breasts.

HA!  Grin
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #981 on: July 24, 2009, 10:31:26 am »

*is confused and has to wonder why she only seems to attract guys in relationships of creepers*  Seriously, the guy I really like has a girlfriend and yet he was hitting on me all weekend.  All of my sisters, my parents, and friends were telling me I should go after him but I refused because I didn't want to be seen as the relationship wrecker.  Still, kind of hurts to still be single when apparently he really does like me.  augh, the confusion.

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Nyte
Zeppelin Captain

Architect of Social Chaos

« Reply #982 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »

*is confused and has to wonder why she only seems to attract guys in relationships of creepers*  Seriously, the guy I really like has a girlfriend and yet he was hitting on me all weekend.  All of my sisters, my parents, and friends were telling me I should go after him but I refused because I didn't want to be seen as the relationship wrecker.  Still, kind of hurts to still be single when apparently he really does like me.  augh, the confusion.

I understand this sentiment far too well, as I have been in the same place you are, though my interests are with ladies.  It is a difficult, and frustrating situation, especially if the person they are dating happens to be a friend of yours.  Perhaps you could be honest, tell them that you are flattered, and perhaps would be interested as well, were it not for the fact that they are in a relatonship, perhaps adding that you are not interested in him leaving his current just to pursue you.  If it ends on it's own, then after a suitable time for him to get over her, then perhaps.

Just my thoughts.

"Memories may last for years but, Names are just for souveniers..."
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #983 on: July 25, 2009, 11:43:00 am »

Wow, whatever happened to just making the best of any situation, and treating each situation independently of one another?

Just take things as they come. Roll with it and see where things go. At the end of it all there's a good chance you won't have lost anything and you'll have had some nice memories to show for it, even if they were fleeting.
I find it much easier to take a very relaxed view and approach - it cuts down on drama (which I despise), and things tend to be much more enjoyable when you're not taking anything too seriously.

If circumstances lead you to having an 'open relationship' then okay, just run with it. If they want something closed, that's fine too.
Just make sure you're clear on where you stand and where they stand with you. More often than not any problems are caused by problems in communication so if you nip that in the bud, you've solved the majority of any drama before it's begun.
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #984 on: July 25, 2009, 01:07:12 pm »

Wow, whatever happened to just making the best of any situation, and treating each situation independently of one another?

Just take things as they come. Roll with it and see where things go. At the end of it all there's a good chance you won't have lost anything and you'll have had some nice memories to show for it, even if they were fleeting.
I find it much easier to take a very relaxed view and approach - it cuts down on drama (which I despise), and things tend to be much more enjoyable when you're not taking anything too seriously.

If circumstances lead you to having an 'open relationship' then okay, just run with it. If they want something closed, that's fine too.
Just make sure you're clear on where you stand and where they stand with you. More often than not any problems are caused by problems in communication so if you nip that in the bud, you've solved the majority of any drama before it's begun.

aw, BC, you're reading too much into it. helios knows full well that if i were ever to relocate to the other side of the world (or vice-versa) i would probably hug him to death.

the previous conversation assumes that i put forethought into any relationship and what may happen and where it may go. i assure you, i have no moral opposition to monogamy, merely that it isn't the forefront of my being when in a relationship. i do maintain that communication is the most important aspect in any relationship geometry, with any number of participants, to guarantee any level of "success" (although i'm not sure what exactly the benchmark for measurement is). i don't go into anything with a specific goal in mind - relationships included. i don't date someone and then consider myself dead from the neck down. at the same time, i make sure that anyone i'm dating knows the lay of the land (proverbially speaking, not literally!) from the door so that there's less of a chance for hurt feelings and miscommunications. ideally, anyway...

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
Engineer_Alex
Deck Hand

« Reply #985 on: July 25, 2009, 04:35:27 pm »

For some one to have a reputation one has to be judged.
Reputations are simply rumors.
and everyone is judgemental Tongue

If God's watching, we can at the very least be entertaining.

Its never too early to start padding your obituary.
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #986 on: July 25, 2009, 08:14:07 pm »

i never said that i'm not judgmental, simply that i did not judge. reputations are a two-way street, you know. you assumed it was bad or even unearned. i did not indicate what the reputation was for or how he came to have one.

this conversation is tiresome.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #987 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

Women!

What can you say? Who made 'em? Must have been a bloody genius. The hair... They say the hair is everything, you know. Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls and just wanted to go to sleep forever? Or lips, and when they touched yours they were like that first swallow of wine after crossing the desert. The bust! Hoo-ah! Big ones, little ones, things staring right out at ya, like secret searchlights. Mhm. And legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns or secondhand Steinways. What's between 'em... I need a drink. Yes, there's only two syllables in this whole wide world worth hearing, and I can't say them here but they start with a 'p.' Haha! Are you listenin' to me, kids? I'm givin' ya pearls here!

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #988 on: July 26, 2009, 04:59:27 pm »

What is wrong with you people? The only true hangover cure is Hair of the Dog. Or, if you're unfamiliar with tha... *Trails off...*

Why is there a PIPE BAND in front of my house on a Sunday morning!?  Shocked Shouldn't they- Don't they- What's with the- well hot damn, that was bloody unexpected.

...unfamiliar with that phrase, 'more of the same.' Luckily enough, I'm not in fact hungover (or else my brain would have exploded from surprise pipes) but apparently I totally ate it off my bike at some point (I can't recall where I locked it up, either...) and my elbow is killing me. Probably going to have to amputate.

Oh, and I'm actually surprised I managed to type as well as I did last night. I thought it would be much worse.
Siggy
Snr. Officer

Lieutenant Commander Newton Bennett, USN

« Reply #989 on: July 27, 2009, 02:42:23 am »

Yes, do tell.  Smiley

Well, the big one is that if you put on a sailor's hat, you owe him a kiss, as I mentioned to Sean.

When a navy man gets married and is provided with a sword-arch for himself and his new bride outside the church, the last pair of men in the arch will usually drop their swords before they can pass through, and he and the bride will be required to kiss once more before being allowed to pass.  (Oh, and each man in the arch gets paid $20... it's a good gig: 20 bucks to put on your uniform, carry a sword, stand about for 15 minutes, then usually get invited to an open-bar reception to hit on bridesmaids.)

Anything else is just general nautical traditions, though.

Lieutenant Commander Newton Bennett, USN
Naval Airship Service
Kansas Research & Development Station
Ego sum imago splendoris regem hominorum, in gloria non obscura ante ruptus mundi.
Athena
« Reply #990 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:42 am »

Proof?

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit, for your viewing pleasure, my haircut. Drum roll please.

Profile 1:

Profile 2:

w/Glasses:
hatchleader
Snr. Officer

Put the kettle on!!

« Reply #991 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:44 pm »

Friends is a curious one! Currently I only see one of my friends (who has just buggered off to New Zealand for a month) on a regular basis, but I consider myself to have 30 or so close friends who conversation never dries up with and i know i could count on in a pinch! Just because you don't see friends often doesn't mean they are not friends!

I personally cherish my friends above almost everything, however i have been informed on numerous occasions that i am very easy to get along with so maybe that helps.

And from personnal experience i would recomend that, if it comes to a choice, always pick friends over partners.

^most likely a load of crap^

If in doubt hit it, if that doesn't work shoot it, and as a last resort blow it up!

Quote from: Bill Bailey
I'm English and as such crave disapointment
mdarkpoet
« Reply #992 on: August 01, 2009, 12:56:01 am »

I have to ponder this, I wonder if you can still be single if you're devoted to someone and want to be with them but just cannot be with them at the moment? I have someone I love and care about very much however he lives a few hundred miles away right now and the soonest I could be with him in the same area is December.

So I guess technically I'm single for now? I dunno O.O it's confusing and slightly depressing XD lol

theladyofshalott
« Reply #993 on: August 01, 2009, 01:05:02 am »

Yeah, I am afraid I, too, have known such situations. They hurt, very achy feelings, and they have ended badly due to the realization that it never could be, at least through some of my situations, they couldn't be. And the sort that I tend to fall for tend to make most of my relationships problematic. I once loved a man in the Scottish Brigade serving in Afghanistan through poetry, and we talked and it really got deep- till it was revealed to  me he was married, as well as far away and unattainable... My long distance relationships take a fail...

Singularly, I find solidarity sore and yet safe.  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:07:36 am by theladyofshalott » Logged
mdarkpoet
« Reply #994 on: August 01, 2009, 01:13:13 am »

There are a lot of ups and downs in anyone's relationships sometimes, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. And in my situation, challenges only make me want it more. Like the whole waiting for 5 months till I could possibly move in with him and his family, it's challenging but it only makes the reward better. O.O that just sounded optimistic >.> I'm shocked at myself LOL

mdarkpoet
« Reply #995 on: August 05, 2009, 05:54:11 am »

Here's my tip from experience, don't overload the person you're dating with personal stuff about you all at once thinking that it's a good idea because you want to show them you trust them.

I made that mistake and I overloaded him with my problems. He had enough problems and consequently I made him miserable, it's a gradual process when you're dating, you want to be honest and show you trust them, but you don't want to overload them with how shitty your life has been (or at least mine has).

Also sit down and talk about what pisses both of you off ahead of time so that neither of you make the mistake of doing something and wondering why the other person is upset. Example, I don't like flirty guys, I'm a possessive Scorpio, I will show intense devotion and loyalty and I expect at least a LITTLE bit in return, it shows respect. It might be innocent flirting but it still pisses me off because I love very deeply and want that respected.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #996 on: August 05, 2009, 06:03:54 am »

I'm actually really no good at free hand replication. That is a comic I made.
I can draw backgrounds well though.

I spent an hour in front of the computer, instead of out trying to talk to people.
I call that a waste of dating time.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
Captain Spooner
Zeppelin Captain

Just your average tinkering steamy ninja.

« Reply #997 on: August 05, 2009, 06:16:33 am »

Hey Doc,

I think what Nyte was trying to illustrate is one of the cardinal rules of dating.  Chicks dig artists. Thats art. You made it. You are an artist. You don't need to have passed a college level Logic class to follow the reasoning here. Now you just need to learn how to use your new status in your interactions. For an example, "excuse me miss, but i was just doing some reference sketches for a webcomic (or whatever you do) and I noticed you have a very unique and attractive look.  Would you mind if I sketched a quick reference work of you? It should only take a couple of minutes." and proceed from there. Art is one of the great icebreakers. educate yourself in various forms of it an conversations just start without any real effort. I shall now retreat back to the shadows of takenness. 4 months and counting, a new record.

Regards,
Spooner

"It is the mark of the cultured man that he is aware of the fact that equality is an ethical and not a biological principle."
-Ashley Montagu
Captain Spooner
Zeppelin Captain

Just your average tinkering steamy ninja.

« Reply #998 on: August 05, 2009, 07:57:45 am »

how come I can never find these "artist digging" chicks? I've actually never met one face to face.

You might need to wait a little till you are older but around here I find them in parks near colleges and on campus, coffee houses, art galleries and museums, craft fairs and just randomly hanging around.  Some of the more out going approach you if you appear to be doing art in open areas that have a lot of foot traffic especially in an area between bus stops and resale shops or "alternative boutiques".  Most however are on the shy side. Just remember that, much like wild animals, they are probably more scared of you than you are of them so approach with confidence but kindness. Look for large handbags, dangley necklaces, journals/writing equipment, retro eyeglass frames, and/or strangely colored hair but few noticeable tattoos or extreme piercings to spot your average artchick. Happy hunting.

Regards,
Spooner

P.S. the above mentioned rant might sound slightly misogynistic. Please don't be offended, this wasn't the intent. It is only an attempt to impart data unto a fellow lover of women in a humorous way. If one would like a womens perspective on  finding an "artguy" one might consider asking one of our lovely and formidable ladies as I don't have any experience hunting that particular game.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #999 on: August 05, 2009, 08:19:27 am »

Worry not, I had asked for help, and you gladly gave some. Who am I to be offended?
But thank you very much. I shall have to take my comicking outside.
Then again, yes, I am quite young. I have many years before I need to worry about this stuff, but I really wouldn't mind someone to whittle away time with.

I guess I'm looking for more of a friend who I love, then anything else.

I really don't know how to put it, I may be good with words, but not emotions.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: