The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 04, 2020, 01:42:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 347621 times)
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #900 on: June 11, 2009, 05:34:06 am »

I just found out tonight, that my friend's, guy friend...this uber cool cute cartoonist dude, is officially single, and has been single for the past 6 months!  Roll Eyes He just told my friend, a couple of days ago of his status. *bites hand* Arghhh! He's so cool! Blah, anyhow, there is a bit of a problem about this though...my friend and I's mutual "girl friend" (another girl) really likes him, and this fella and her do get along very well...so meh...maybe I don't have a chance with him here and it's just wishful thinking on my part. Anyhow...dare to dream eh! Damn, he is such a cute cool dude, and he's local, and he's over 30 years of age, has a decent job...likes similar music as to me, is an uber talented cartoonist...I mean, this guy could seriously work for Disney. Dammit! I was smiling like a Cheshire cat when she told me of his status, and I acted all non chanlant about it...like "oooh..oh really?" LOL! Blahhhhh! Anyhow...send me good vibes about hooking up with him! He is so rawking!  Roll Eyes

"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #901 on: June 11, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »

eggberta : Well, you're a better person than I am.  Grin Don't mean to play devil's advocate, but you both like him. So? Things can get tricky if you end up with him, and she doesn't.....but trying doesn't hurt. See what happens.

Dr. Hastings : Do you like the girl? That's the point. If you want to be with her, then be with her. A companion is also someone who understands your problems. Talk to her and express your concerns (it's hard to do, trust me, but well worth it). Just make sure to say that you do like her and this isn't an excuse to keep her away.

That's my two cents.  Cool
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #902 on: June 11, 2009, 03:55:35 pm »

I do like her. She understands my problems, but, as I said. I'm not sure I'm any good for her. I'm not all there upstairs. And either way, I wish for things to develop naturally. I'm in no rush, but I know patience wont get anything done.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #903 on: June 11, 2009, 04:29:42 pm »

True. Take it from someone who's not all there as well....I've never felt good enough to be with anyone. But that doesn't stop me from trying. And here lately, if I get rejected, it's like water on a duck's back. To me, it's just another scar. Get up, move on, done. If she likes you, then she's more than likely positive that you are good enough for her. Let things develop naturally. But missed opportunities are the ones that are regretted the most.
Bonny Gallows
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #904 on: June 24, 2009, 10:11:21 am »

Nearly two months ago my romantic partner announced the end of our liaison with words to the effect of "Well, I like cheeseburgers, but I'm not going to eat one every day." Such a gent, he was.
I've been a bit down since then, as it is usually years between romantic partners. I am unfortunately very rarely attracted to anyone who reciprocates. The men in my area openly admit their preference for the type of female generally referred to as a "princess"; no strong opinions of her own, unable to care for herself, reads nothing but magazines on cosmetics and "reality" television, etc. Bit frustrating, really. I've no doubt that most men prefer a curvier woman, but around here all I hear is how Paris Hilton and Keira Knightly exemplify what a woman should look like(and apparently in the case of Miss Hilton, what she should sound like, as well).
I rather like the way I look, a condition which is the result of a very long personal journey, and continue to make such improvements as I feel are necessary. That the men of my region have only hurtful and cruel things to say about my figure is enough to make me consider permanent relocation. Any suggestions for a new residence?

Adventures in Archaeology:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From my travels in China:

My journey to the Land of Man-Eating Mechanical Goats(not for the fainthearted!):

Lastly, the general feelings of men forced to endure my presence:

Having recently graduated(with honors!), I am finding myself with too much time alone with my thoughts. Dangerous! At least I have field school in England to look forward to in mere weeks, which should provide a welcome distraction as well as valuable experience.
sjbonnar
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain of HMS Valkyrie

« Reply #905 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »

Bonny: If nothing else, you have several like-minded people in England who would be happy to meet you and be your guide around this country! I am included in those numbers!

I feel similarly. I seem to be "too nice". I am capable of being a friend, but not a partner since splitting with my ex. I am getting into the mindset where I am ready to start dating (for the first time really as my ex and I met in a strange manner) and can not find anyone who is interested in me in that manner.

I am a Law graduate who has decided to retrain in the field of Primary/Elementary School Education. I am returning to studies in September in fact for some post-graduate work.

Either there is something truly wrong with me and I have missed it, or it is based on my appearance alone.

My appearance;
Myself in cosplay as Angeal Hewley

Myself in Steampunk garb;

Myself in casual clothing;

And my favourite picture of myself;
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #906 on: June 26, 2009, 11:47:41 pm »

*sighs* I did have a HUGE confessional that I typed out, but, seeing how I was taking so long with writing it out...I never got it posted in time...*waaa!* Tongue Anyhow, here's the short of the long....Met a guy 12 years ago, he was in a common law relationship at the time, we obviously didn't "get-it-on" back then, but we wanted to...Jump to the now, present day. He is now single, and has been for the past 5 years, and I am still single...we have re-connected, but, given our not so nice intertwined links from the past, I'm hoping we can both get around this, and after 12 years I hope we can finally, get-it-on! Tongue We are due to meet up again next week...he is taking me flying...seriously, he actually is going for his pilot's license and is clocking in hours by flying a small Cessna! Wish me luck in both counts! Tongue
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:54:36 pm by eggberta echegaray » Logged
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #907 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:06 pm »

Just sounds like more isolationism for society as people aren't really learning to communicate or interact emotionally with other people. I hate to say it cause I love being on the forum but there just isn't enough person to person involvement going on in younger generations. It's all texting, facebook, forums etc... I only say this cause just recently I witnessed several young women in the neighborhood all out for a walk together but no one was talking. They all had out cell phones and were texting each other. I just don't think it's going to go anywhere good if people continue down that path.
I not saying any of this to step on anyones toes or for anyone to think I'm judging their lifestyle. I just saying this as someone who grew up (for the most part) without cell phones and computers. Also as someone who only ever dated 3 men and the last one became my husband. All the others were long term relationships which are apparently becoming a thing of the past. I just don't see where the hook up means independence or freedom for the goal oriented. Relationships that are good don't interfer with those things in my opinion. I just wonder and worry how such attitudes will affect my daughter and her choices as she grows into a woman. Again this is just my rant cause articles like that do make me think about the world my child is coming of age in.

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #908 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:04 pm »

Just sounds like more isolationism for society as people aren't really learning to communicate or interact emotionally with other people. I hate to say it cause I love being on the forum but there just isn't enough person to person involvement going on in younger generations. It's all texting, facebook, forums etc...
Agreed.

- Maximilian
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #909 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »

Just sounds like more isolationism for society as people aren't really learning to communicate or interact emotionally with other people. I hate to say it cause I love being on the forum but there just isn't enough person to person involvement going on in younger generations. It's all texting, facebook, forums etc...
Agreed.

I'm not surprised that you would see my point but then we are of the same generation and settled.  Wink
Yes, that is image does some it up in a nutshell. Now all we need is one of those EMP scenerios to make people interact with people again and we might be saved. Cheesy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #910 on: June 29, 2009, 09:40:04 pm »

Agreed.

I must reluctantly agree. Some Young people (yonger than me, at any rate, lol) still know how to do the communication process without texting and all, just talking, but I see less and less with each succeeding generation that comes through and graduates. One can't really expect much in the way of real intimacy or well-founded trust to develop over a typed electronic, long-distance medium, partly because even with nonverbal artifacts like smilies and photographs, a message can still be wildly misconstrued.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #911 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:34 am »

One can't really expect much in the way of real intimacy or well-founded trust to develop over a typed electronic, long-distance medium, partly because even with nonverbal artifacts like smilies and photographs, a message can still be wildly misconstrued.
Another very good point Sir.
This is true enough, and why no honest commitment has been made by myself over such a medium. It doesn't matter how well myself and another may get along with letters on a screen, or otherwise, but there are just some things that aren't conveyed via the interweb. There's just that sort of spark that either happens or doesn't that can't rightly be quantified or expressed long-distance.

Not saying such a thing is impossible, just that I don't believe I can truly get a proper enough understanding (Even base and shallow) without actual contact, and so before that, there's little emotional commitment.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #912 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:18 pm »

One can't really expect much in the way of real intimacy or well-founded trust to develop over a typed electronic, long-distance medium, partly because even with nonverbal artifacts like smilies and photographs, a message can still be wildly misconstrued.
This is true enough, and why no honest commitment has been made by myself over such a medium. It doesn't matter how well myself and another may get along with letters on a screen, or otherwise, but there are just some things that aren't conveyed via the interweb. There's just that sort of spark that either happens or doesn't that can't rightly be quantified or expressed long-distance.

Not saying such a thing is impossible, just that I don't believe I can truly get a proper enough understanding (Even base and shallow) without actual contact, and so before that, there's little emotional commitment.

Words right out of my mouth, dear.

Which is not to say that the temptation isn't there, just that I personally make the choice to restrain myself. I can say with certainty, that there has only been three people in my life that I've met online who have become very important to me before we ever managed to meet. And none of them were relationships (though two developed that way breifly after meeting).

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #913 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:03 pm »

All of this is so true, with regards to my "online" experiences with regards to meeting fellas from online...I had met two men from online, and upon meeting them in person, although mind you, we did "intimately connect" in the physical world, but, as soon as it was back to the online communications, it went foul due to the lack of physical contact and other self seeded issues. Sometimes these scenarios can work, but, most of the time, with not only myself, but with experiencing online relationships alongside friends, it never does seems to work out, which is a shame. I feel it comes down to many, many factors...

I now know, that this is not the way to go for myself, and lately I have been engaging in "normal" real life meetings in person, and I think? I'm doing not too bad! LOL! I'm back and forth between liking two fellas....given we are all "friends" right now, but there definitely interest on their part, and there is potential, well, I'm hoping there is the potential! Tongue With regards to going to the next level. Smiley Right now I'm having tons of fun, I've turned into this social butterfly over the course of a year, which is absolutely fantastic, considering I practically lived my life in isolation online for 5 years, and it got me nowhere. I know my own reasons as to why I choose to go down the online path, but now with regards to recent life upsets with regards to loosing my Dad in real life...it really has opened my eyes, and made me see how short life really is, and how much of a waste of time it was to put my ALL my focus on something that wasn't real to begin with...I was living a life of fantasy and delusion for a very long time, and I really didn't benefit much from it, other than negatory experiences, which I will not go into detail about, for there really is no point to it anymore, it's a closed chapter in my life path. Smiley On wards and Up wards! Arrrrrr! Tongue
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:09:00 pm by eggberta echegaray » Logged
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #914 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:45 pm »

I'm afraid the failure was due to my falling aprey to that very phenomena--during our interaction which had previously been almost entirely online I built up in my head and subsequently fell for a version of him which, as it turns out, does not exist.  I really ought to know better by now.

on the "hookups" thing, sexual interaction without romantic interaction doesn't have to be a one-time thing.  I mostly have "friends with benefits" types--yes there is sex, but there is also cuddling, and talking, and just plain hanging out.  A number of those types that I've had, I probably could have called it "dating" had I wanted to, but if I had, when they ended, there would have been hurt feelings on both parties.  As it is, when the physical part of such an arrangement ends, the friendship almost inevitably remains.  The trick to it, I've found, is being very clear from the beginning as to the nature of the arrangement. 

eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #915 on: July 02, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »

I'm afraid the failure was due to my falling aprey to that very phenomena--during our interaction which had previously been almost entirely online I built up in my head and subsequently fell for a version of him which, as it turns out, does not exist.  I really ought to know better by now.

on the "hookups" thing, sexual interaction without romantic interaction doesn't have to be a one-time thing.  I mostly have "friends with benefits" types--yes there is sex, but there is also cuddling, and talking, and just plain hanging out.  A number of those types that I've had, I probably could have called it "dating" had I wanted to, but if I had, when they ended, there would have been hurt feelings on both parties.  As it is, when the physical part of such an arrangement ends, the friendship almost inevitably remains.  The trick to it, I've found, is being very clear from the beginning as to the nature of the arrangement.  

I very much understand this Kat...and yes, by jove, I think you've got it, with regards to the trick. I agree, right from the very beginning, boundaries need to be laid, and very clear with regards to the nature of the arrangement...I think it's best to be "friends" and only "friends" before meeting up in person, then just go with the flow, and see where it leads to...It is always Murphy's Law, from my experience, when people set unattainable high goals...it rarely, if ever, works out and it is just a recipe for disaster, for it's never the same in person, as it is from online. I know, I've been through it. I'm so sorry for being a kill joy with regards to my statement...I surely would love to retract my statement and say "Ah ha! I know some people where this did work out for!" but unfortunately, I'm yet to come across this...anyhow, it just makes pure logical sense, given the human condition with regards to the players involved...there is so much more going on...the online thing is just a facade from my experience, and there are many, many more levels to navigate through when you make the move to meeting in person.  It is so easy to slip into the fantasy realm of how you would like for things to be...but it never is the same in person, how can it be?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:32:04 pm by eggberta echegaray » Logged
Swan
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #916 on: July 03, 2009, 05:10:55 pm »

that water analogy seems to have developed a following. And lemme just say this. No matter how shallow the water, there's always someone in over their head.

....I don't know what that means, exactly, but it sounded wise.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #917 on: July 03, 2009, 05:15:04 pm »

the puns and anologies will last about a day.

The someone will say "Oooh! Shiny!" and we'll be off again!
Haywire
Deck Hand

rachelhaywire
« Reply #918 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:16 pm »

This thread goes pretty quickly! I posted that I was single steampunk looking for a nice person to kill the humans in the aether with. I got a lot of replies but I forgot who they were from. Can people just post their delusions of grandeur here so I can have some nice options? Me-and-you-against-the-world-scenario's GO. Violence against the boring is sexy in my head. Is it sexy in yours? Can we find the mindless follower gene and eliminate it together? Did Hitler have it wrong? Can we do it better? Do you remember the internet before social networking sites? Do you have money but find yourself disgusted by pompous attitudes of the upper clas? Can you talk to me about existentialist philosophy without objecting to me using the word fuck? Can you design customized objects for my live performances? I can make electronic music for your stories about whatever era you are living in. I can make you a star. Can you make me dinner?

Swan
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #919 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:31 pm »

This thread goes pretty quickly! I posted that I was single steampunk looking for a nice person to kill the humans in the aether with. I got a lot of replies but I forgot who they were from. Can people just post their delusions of grandeur here so I can have some nice options? Me-and-you-against-the-world-scenario's GO. Violence against the boring is sexy in my head. Is it sexy in yours? Can we find the mindless follower gene and eliminate it together? Did Hitler have it wrong? Can we do it better? Do you remember the internet before social networking sites? Do you have money but find yourself disgusted by pompous attitudes of the upper clas? Can you talk to me about existentialist philosophy without objecting to me using the word fuck? Can you design customized objects for my live performances? I can make electronic music for your stories about whatever era you are living in. I can make you a star. Can you make me dinner?
My answers to your questions are, respectively: no, no, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no.

So that's 4 no's and 4 yes's.  I honestly didn't know this thread worked like a newspaper ad.
Haywire
Deck Hand

rachelhaywire
« Reply #920 on: July 03, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

It didn't until it was turned into one. You gave power to the newspaper meme by mentioning it when I was just doing a spoof. Now this thread will actually turn into a newspaper. I think that is pretty cool...
Swan
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #921 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:56 pm »

It didn't until it was turned into one. You gave power to the newspaper meme by mentioning it when I was just doing a spoof. Now this thread will actually turn into a newspaper. I think that is pretty cool...

Awesome. I feel like the lamest superhero ever. "Make-things-turn-into-newspapers-Man"!
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #922 on: July 03, 2009, 06:07:20 pm »

Violence against the boring is sexy in my head. Is it sexy in yours? Can we find the mindless follower gene and eliminate it together? Did Hitler have it wrong? Can we do it better? Do you remember the internet before social networking sites? Do you have money but find yourself disgusted by pompous attitudes of the upper clas? Can you talk to me about existentialist philosophy without objecting to me using the word fuck? Can you design customized objects for my live performances? I can make electronic music for your stories about whatever era you are living in. I can make you a star. Can you make me dinner?

Hmm.

Yes, possibly, yes, yes, yes, no, any time you like, dear, only the digital kind, I would love to hear said music, yes, what kind of food do you prefer?

Click here for win. ---^
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #923 on: July 03, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »

I'd say this is the deeper part of the middle of the pool that is BG. Also, still single. Still in NZ. Hint hint.

aw, my flammable Kiwi darling! as for me, i am happily single and in the southern middle part of Pennsyltucky (and less than happy about that). but it seems that of late the gentlemen in my office are taken with me!?!?! i find this highly unusual as i'm actually pretty obnoxious here because i dislike being here. but i smell pretty and walk around with no shoes on listening to industrial music and eating pink candy.

i've completely forgotten the point i was trying to make...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:27:44 pm by Reni Valentine » Logged

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
Seaton Begg
Snr. Officer

Anarcho-Dadaist

« Reply #924 on: July 03, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »

Violence against the boring is sexy in my head. Is it sexy in yours? Can we find the mindless follower gene and eliminate it together? Did Hitler have it wrong? Can we do it better? Do you remember the internet before social networking sites? Do you have money but find yourself disgusted by pompous attitudes of the upper clas? Can you talk to me about existentialist philosophy without objecting to me using the word fuck? Can you design customized objects for my live performances? I can make electronic music for your stories about whatever era you are living in. I can make you a star. Can you make me dinner?

No. Yes. Depends on your PoV. Maybe. Yes.Yes. Yes. Maybe. Every Man and Woman is a Star. Vegetarian, but is willing to cook meat for others.

Meet me at Rennes Le Chateau, I will be wearing a noon blue apple. Ftagn!

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: