The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 09:49:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 348906 times)
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #800 on: May 18, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »

I tend to go for older men and women. I think, for me at least, it's a maturity issue. I feel that I have more in common in nearly every aspect with someone who's got 5-15 years on me.

And, well, i happen to think grey hair looks distinguished, which helps Wink

Do those yof your who tend towards the younger feel it is for the same reason? Or something else entirely?

Well I think for Sprockey it's a maturity thing...I'M KIDDING! ;P blah...For me? Gosh, don't know...I feel I just "relate" better to someone who's younger than me...maybe it's a maturity thing for me too ;P...Ack, I don't know, I just feel I "click" better with someone younger...it all depends on the actual person...I've met 25 yr old that have the mentality of a 40 yr old and 40 yr old that have the mentality of a 12 yr old. Age seriously means f'k all really....it's all about maturity and life lessons that make someone interesting. Hopefully they don't have too many "hang ups." If I was to meet someone my age, or a tad older who rocked my world, I wouldn't turn away from it...Have to agree Abi...grey hair is distinguished. Smiley

"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #801 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

I tend to go for older men and women. I think, for me at least, it's a maturity issue. I feel that I have more in common in nearly every aspect with someone who's got 5-15 years on me.

Do those yof your who tend towards the younger feel it is for the same reason? Or something else entirely?

Well I think for Sprockey it's a maturity thing...I'M KIDDING! ;P blah...For me? Gosh, don't know...I feel I just "relate" better to someone who's younger than me...maybe it's a maturity thing for me too ;P...Ack, I don't know, I just feel I "click" better with someone younger...it all depends on the actual person...I've met 25 yr old that have the mentality of a 40 yr old and 40 yr old that have the mentality of a 12 yr old. Age seriously means f'k all really....it's all about maturity and life lessons that make someone interesting. Hopefully they don't have too many "hang ups." If I was to meet someone my age, or a tad older who rocked my world, I wouldn't turn away from it...Have to agree Abi...grey hair is distinguished. Smiley

So, it sounds like it's for similar reasons, at least. I'd not turn someone younger away just becasue of age (provinding they are legal, of course). It's a mental state thing.

I wonder, though, how much is influenced by subconscious attraction to a certain age/appearence thereof. Do I find wonderful people who are older than me (and very rarely younger wonderful people) becasue that what I'm looking for? Do you and Sprock find predominately youngers ones for the same reason?

Damn... I'm starting to wax here. Feel free to ignore me Smiley

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #802 on: May 18, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »

Is she going to the Asylum? If not, get her to go and grab a waltz with her!

Best way to charm the gals is with a nice bit of foot-wagglin, if yeh know what I mean.

Or maybe a Foxtrot. Or a boxstep. Or hell if it all goes to pot have a couple drinks and do the Hokey Pokey...

Oh, gracious. I certainly do not dance. I always make an utter pratt of myself. Anyone here with me?

I can't dance. My car does, on anything like gravel, mud, or snow...
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #803 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:20 pm »

I just seem to relate better to the 20-26 crowd lol maybe this means I'm not acting my age?

anyway the age thing doesn't bother me, it's just an odd observance.

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #804 on: May 18, 2009, 11:36:04 pm »

So, it sounds like it's for similar reasons, at least. I'd not turn someone younger away just becasue of age (provinding they are legal, of course). It's a mental state thing.

I wonder, though, how much is influenced by subconscious attraction to a certain age/appearence thereof. Do I find wonderful people who are older than me (and very rarely younger wonderful people) becasue that what I'm looking for? Do you and Sprock find predominately youngers ones for the same reason?

Damn... I'm starting to wax here. Feel free to ignore me Smiley

I don't know Abi...for me, it just depends on the person, be it they are younger than me, or older. I feel I've made bad choices in my "romancing" past, with regards to the fellas I've dated and/or fancied. I feel my judgment on this is not very sound, as it leads me to heartache down the road...I suppose that's all part of the process in this arena. I really don't get the whole "romancing" thing anymore...it's all dark matter to me.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #805 on: May 18, 2009, 11:41:22 pm »

I just seem to relate better to the 20-26 crowd lol maybe this means I'm not acting my age?

anyway the age thing doesn't bother me, it's just an odd observance.

Thats sort of what i'm noting. For all of us speaking on the subject, we've got a "normal age range" despite all having stated that age really does mean jack and sh*t.

If we all accept the latter statement as truth, then there has got to be some reason that (no matter the direction) we still tend to be attracted to people of a certain, seemingly consistent age.

I'm just curious if it'a really based on maturity or it's it's something a little more base, such as physical aspects of the age groups in question.

Quote from:  eggberta echegaray
I don't know Abi...for me, it just depends on the person, be it they are younger than me, or older. I feel I've made bad choices in my "romancing" past, with regards to the fellas I've dated and/or fancied. I feel my judgment on this is not very sound, as it leads me to heartache down the road...I suppose that's all part of the process in this arena. I really don't get the whole "romancing" thing anymore...it's all dark matter to me.

I get that. The history and the lack of success rate and the confusion and all. I guess thats why i'm asking the questions, you know?
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #806 on: May 18, 2009, 11:47:04 pm »

Quote from:  eggberta echegaray

I get that. The history and the lack of success rate and the confusion and all. I guess thats why i'm asking the questions, you know?

Yup yup...I'm getting why your asking...thinking on it...LOL! For me personally, maybe it's not a good idea to date or go with someone who's younger than me, considering it's been failure after failure...I did date a man who was 5 years older than me, this time last year and he had a "young" spirit that matched mine, had the same interests in music, movies, books, but he was ugh...blah....no clicky wicky what so ever...he was a tad "in your face" literally...ugh. Was very uncomfortable with his strong advances and ugh....blah...the guy totally didn't rock my boat at all. 
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #807 on: May 19, 2009, 12:07:22 am »

I was flattered the guy "dug" me so much...but man he came on wayyyyyy too strong. Plus, there was one thing he was "into" that I totally wasn't, and the company he kept where questionable. It just wasn't a good fit...it didn't feel right.

With regards to all we've been chatting about with regards to age, dating patterns and what have you...that's been a question of mine...who's to say, if you deviate from your normal dating pattern that the relationship would be a success? I don't know...I have tried this, and still nothing. So now, I just go on my gut feeling, which have been pretty good, at most points! LOL!
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #808 on: May 19, 2009, 12:54:37 am »

It's possible with regards to the subconscious attraction. Maybe that other person is "familiar" to you, given they have similar qualities to that of a family member or someone you first crushed on. Who knows. I also think, alot of it has to do with what frequency people are operating on as well...what values and goals does the interested party and you have, do they match or are they always in disagreement and up for debate? Considering these "values and goals" are tame and not outlandish...and if they are outlandish...*shrugs* whatever floats yer boat! LOL! Meeting someone where values and goals greatly differ, do the "couple" enjoy a good challenge and/or debate? Maybe that suits their conflicted personalities...who knows. I myself love a challenge, and at other times I'm exhausted and am not up for it. blah. Snazzy haircuts on guys always grab my attention.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #809 on: May 19, 2009, 02:21:02 am »

I think the decline of the gentleman is linked to the decline of the gentleman's club.  as in, the smoke cigars and talk politics club, not the strip club.

I have a friend actively seeking to update and return the gentleman's club. He's no steampunk, but he is a gentleman.

well a gentleman I'd like to duel. he did date and ruin a girl I wanted for a long time. *shrug*

How is one to be a knight when no one realizes they need saving?  Though I can think of one girl in the bay that could use some saving.. if she'd answer my PM...
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #810 on: May 19, 2009, 03:38:55 pm »

I agree with Abi. I pine sometimes because there are a few good men out there that I know I would be safe and happy with, but I just can't force myself into being attracted or even being more than friendly with them.

It's the same way that, if you taste something, but it's not to your taste, you can still tell that it's good quality. Like, if you don't really like red meat or a certain spice but you can appreciate the quality. (Even if you politely decline to eat the rest and instead pass it to a friend or dog)

Or that might be just me. But I assure you, gents, that I can identify a Gentleman when I see one, and many of you are, indeed, Gentlemen.

Me? I prefer to call myself a Cad. Much more fetching. -straightens cravat-
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #811 on: May 19, 2009, 03:59:44 pm »

I prefer sod to cad, if I've got a choice.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #812 on: May 19, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »

Funnily enough one of my ex girlfriends used to call me a Cad.

The funniest part being that she didn't know what it meant. She just thought it sounded fancy. -snorts-

I think I'll regret that relationship till the end of my days, despite it being my longest (3 years! Proves I can maintain commitment in the face of adversity, I guess.)
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #813 on: May 19, 2009, 11:44:57 pm »

-gigglesnorts-

OH, Happy Update! I'm currently in the process of scandalous flirtation with a lass in the UK. Not sure what this means for me in the long run, but it's fun, and I haven't felt this young and butterfly-filled in a long time.

-downs a victory pint- I just want to get my exams out of the way, which is less than a month away, then I can throw off the shackles of college and make the most of my charm! For now, I'm going to take it nice and easy, concentrate on my studies, and keep it natural and calm.

Which is hard for me because I'm usually charging on ahead in this sort of thing with the passion of a thousand latin dancers.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #814 on: May 20, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »

Here, here!

Mind you I've had my fill of trying to put people back together. Every time I've tried to help a girl of significance to me, it ended up being smacked back into my face. I'm done with broken shells.

Luckily the lass I'm gently chasing now seems very all-together, no assembly required. We'll just have to see.

If I succeed... I'll miss talking to you guys! I'll be loosing my bachelorhood... =(
SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #815 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:42 pm »

It is not like it is hard to be a gentleman. It is remarkably easy. If you ask me a man's word should be his life, a man's morals should be unbreakable, a man should treat every man with respect, and a man should treat all women as if they are princesses. I think those four things pretty much make or break a man as a gentleman or just another joe. I agree though you do have to make a cousious effort to remain a gentleman.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #816 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »

It is not like it is hard to be a gentleman. It is remarkably easy. If you ask me a man's word should be his life, a man's morals should be unbreakable, a man should treat every man with respect, and a man should treat all women as if they are princesses. I think those four things pretty much make or break a man as a gentleman or just another joe. I agree though you do have to make a cousious effort to remain a gentleman.

And I'd like to add to that if a lady is acting un-lady like a gentleman has every right to punch her in the face like the man she's pretending to be Cheesy
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #817 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:09 pm »

And I'd like to add to that if a lady is acting un-lady like a gentleman has every right to punch her in the face like the man she's pretending to be Cheesy

OOooooooo! Ouch Sprocket...Ouch! If a gentleman is acting like a beast, a lady has every right to punch back Tongue Or use other means of defense like a poking stick..."Back savage beastie...BACK!" *whack*
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:49:08 pm by eggberta echegaray » Logged
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #818 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:56 pm »

I would rather be smacked in the face than humiliated or backstabbed. If anyone has a qualm with me, offer up your fists now, or forever hold thy peace!
Amelia von Poopenmeiher
Gunner

Inama nushif.

« Reply #819 on: May 21, 2009, 03:35:04 am »

Hrm...such absolutes.

A man isnt much without some consistency of his word, but to say a man's word is his life? I think a man should be a bit more three-dimensional than that.

And you know, there is a subtle attractive quality in the average joe. The man whom makes mistakes, has setbacks, struggles with them, just like everyone else.

Keeps him from becoming overzealous, and arrogantly headstrong, yeah?

Incidentally, a woman's word is just as important as a man's.

Chivalry that doesnt apply to women, is just medieval sexism.

Crime never pays; unless you're a mercenary. Or pirate. Or cat-burglar. Come to think of it, crime is quite profitable.
SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #820 on: May 21, 2009, 04:01:23 am »

Why should a man have to go back on his word? If a man isn't sure that he can do something then don't promise it. Say "I will try my best" but not "sure it'll be done". Also while a woman's word should be worth the same, I'm not sure it's chivalry. Chivalry is very much the actions that are associated with being a true man. (Different than being a gentleman but a gentleman is chivalrous.) A woman should be a lady. Strong and confident in her own way, yet still gentle and soft.

Gentleman: Strong, Confident, solid!
Lady: Strong, Confident, Soft.

If that helps that is how I see things. Not soft as in weak but soft as in able to be more emotional than a man to keep him in line. A true man has to be able to seperate himself from his emotions when it is needed. While a Lady is emotional, though not overly so.
Does that make since? It is a double standard true but it is an equal standard if you ask me. Men are weak in the emotional feild but that allows us to make hard disisions that may be more dificult with to much emotion.

What dose everyone else think? I think a man should open a door for a woman but if their is a second door that woman should open the door for him as he follows her through.
Amelia von Poopenmeiher
Gunner

Inama nushif.

« Reply #821 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:04 am »

I never said a man shouldnt, did I?

Just....I dont know. Holding so tight to absolute ideas seems....frankly, dangerous.

Personally, I hold doors open for anyone, man or woman, invalid, or able-bodied. As well as help with baggage, chairs, and whatever needs helping with.

Fairness is fairness, and kindness is kindness, chivalrous extraneousities aside.

A true man has to be able to seperate himself from his emotions when it is needed.

Something about that quote rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why.

Incidentally, anyone and EVERYONE should be able to put their whimsical emotions in perspective, when logic is necessary for a decision.

While a Lady is emotional, though not overly so.
Does that make since? It is a double standard true but it is an equal standard if you ask me. Men are weak in the emotional feild but that allows us to make hard disisions that may be more dificult with to much emotion.

This strikes me as a very broad generalisation.

Personally, I'm the most emotional man I know. In fact, I'm more emotional than any woman I've ever been with. Incidentally, most women I end up with are far more 'masculine' in terms of emotionality. And actually more prone to shutting down emotionally, on the stereotyped vein of how men are expected to be detached and closed off.

Also, I firmly disagree that being emotionally 'inept' allows for better decision making. Decisions vary on the situation, and approach for decisions vary just as much.

Again with the absolutes....sheesh.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:28:11 am by Amelia von Poopenmeiher » Logged
SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #822 on: May 21, 2009, 05:15:07 am »

Ok, you're on a battle feild, a child is standing some what between you and the man trying to kill you. You and the man trying to kill you have guns.  (just an example) Now I actually asked people this, 90% of the females asked said they would try and protect the child, or they couldn't shoot with the child anywhere near. About 75% of the men stated that they'd take the shot. Reasoning tended to be that a child is small, an adult is big, the situation did not state that the child was being used as a sheild so the men assumed that they had some targetable area of the opponent.

This is why I think being able to seperate yourself from your emotions is a good trait some times. I never said emotionally inept. A man can cry, a man can laugh, but a man should be able to cry later after he occomplishes what needs to be done.

Again I belive that a lot of women can do this and get the job done but I do not feel these women are ladies. A man needs a woman that is soft. I belive this very much. Just like you are soft and date hard women. I just belive that opposites are needed for a relationship to work. One needs to be able to make the hard dissisions, and one needs to be able to remind the other of why the disicion is hard. :| make sense? But anywho, I am certainly not saying a woman can't do anything a man can, in fact I have met many women who can preform tasks better than me, tasks that most of the time would be done my men.
Amelia von Poopenmeiher
Gunner

Inama nushif.

« Reply #823 on: May 21, 2009, 06:26:45 am »

My problem with your reasoning is you seem to only subject men to it. It seems....well, I wont finish that sentence. This doesnt seem to be about being a 'true man' or woman for that matter, but a decent human.

Your example is a bit of a stretch also. It would be more pertinent to give a more common-life example, as most people dont actually know what they would really do given extreme situations. And your example has countless variables that can play a role. Maybe the women whom answered 'protect the child' know they are bad shots, and would waste the opportunity to save a kid, if they fired what would presumably be a wild shot into the air?

At any rate, I'd bet you that 90 percent of those 90 percent that said they'd do this, or that, would actually run from the area as fast as their legs could take them.

Also note, I said I'm 'emotional', which neither arbitrarily implies being hard, or soft. In fact, I'm neither, exclusively. I'm three-dimensional, with off days, and on days. Like the women I date.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:29:30 am by Amelia von Poopenmeiher » Logged
Jennette Haber
Zeppelin Captain

Collector of Keys

« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:01 am »

I started you folks your own thread to continue this debate in, i must say i'm rather interested where it will lead

I was beginning to think wishing on stars was just for babies and crazy people...
lottie(princess and the frog)
The Master List of Steampunk webcomics [/cener
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: