The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 08:56:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 348903 times)
Captain Spooner
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Just your average tinkering steamy ninja.

« Reply #775 on: May 13, 2009, 05:29:44 am »

Well folks, just because I feel the need to inject a little good news into this occasionally morose topic I would like to inform you all of my good luck in the dating department. I have recently acquired the affection of a lovely young lady who, while not a steampunk, has recently offered to provide a private burlesque show to Sleep Isabella by Abney Park. So I'm out. See you all back here in three to six months if my record holds but it should be a fun ride in the meantime.

Regards,
Spooner

"It is the mark of the cultured man that he is aware of the fact that equality is an ethical and not a biological principle."
-Ashley Montagu
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #776 on: May 14, 2009, 12:24:01 pm »

You can do that in the UK just as well.... I know plenty of lovely countryside crying out for a Bag End!

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #777 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:29 pm »

I've noticed that its really hard to find a nice guy, who is into(even just a bit) steampunk, who is NOT taken.....sigh..... it makes me sad....and every steampunker guy I've met has been such a gentleman!!!!! why can't there be a gentleman out there for me???*sigh* the last one was an ass, and told me my costume looked stupid.... sooo not a gentleman......grrrr.....

See, you're all the way over there...

oh, i wish i was over there.... i want to live in england or ireland.... really.... my dream....
Oh for as time when all you had to do was join the circus to travle....Anyway it is always possible to move if you realy want!

Anyway, I will be quite honest and say that I think there are probably quite a few more single steampunk, (or otherwise) gentlemen out there- you just have to search! too often they're overshadowed by less gentlemanly types.
 If it comes to it, and realy none can be found, then you can always start with a reasonably ok fellow, and make it your job to turn him into a gentleman- this seems to be quite a popular method Wink

Gentlemen are boring.

And asses are too.

I like 'em bipolar, personally.
This is an odd one, I find that of bipolar people I know I'd definitely find that a relationship would just be too much work, although there are exeptions -personaly I opt for someone who has a wicked side, but isn't completely out of control  Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:40:33 pm by Pheobsky » Logged

Them/they
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #778 on: May 14, 2009, 02:12:25 pm »

you can always start with a reasonably ok fellow, and make it your job to turn him into a gentleman- this seems to be quite a popular method Wink

Many people go into relationships thinking they can 'change' people and they are always doomed to failure. I must say that Pheobsky's advice is awfully, terribly wrong. People can't be changed - if you don't like someone for who they are, not who you want them to be, that's the end of it.
It was said in more of a lighthearted way, than serious advice- yes I'd advise against this Although I have seen people be changed- it is possible, but you have to be a certain type of person to do it- and usually have a cruel streak, so all in all its ill advised.

However if you have a reasonable fellow, it is possible to change peripheral things- ie foster an interest in steampunk, which doesn't deeply change them as a person, but would potentially make them more "gentlemanly" in appearance ect. which is more what I was getting at Wink
BrassMonkey
Officer

« Reply #779 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »

But to jump back into this thread after a several month hiatus from BG in general...

I'm about 2 years into singledom, but since breakups are rarely as simple as they could be I found myself, whilst technically never stopping being single, single again at the start of this year (If anyone out there can follow what I'm saying).

There is sadness with anything you are forced to give up, even if it's you who forces yourself to give it up. But by and large I'm enjoying being single. I'm just having fun with my friends (and occasionally fortunate enough to have fun with a special friend) and most importantly I'm just trying to be me (which is harder than it sounds, but I'm having a good go at it!).

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play -Heraclitus

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. -Einstein
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #780 on: May 15, 2009, 12:15:16 am »

Many of my past girlfriends have been decidedly insane!

Not just barmy-quirky, either, noooo. I'm talking genuinely neurotic. Overbearing, hyper-defensive, over-stimulated, narcissistic, controlling, clingy two-faced sex-crazed lunatics.

Hrm. Sapphism linked to Insanity? Sounds like a job for Super Freud.

DISCLAIMER: I'm very tired and making crude jokes. I haven't given up on women, I don't think all Sapphists are insane, and I do indeed know the real definition of Insane and I'm not using it in it's accurate context. Don't sue me!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:19:22 am by Skinner » Logged
elShoggotho
« Reply #781 on: May 15, 2009, 12:32:44 am »

Not just barmy-quirky, either, noooo. I'm talking genuinely neurotic. Overbearing, hyper-defensive, over-stimulated, narcissistic, controlling, clingy two-faced sex-crazed lunatics.

DISCLAIMER: I'm very tired and making crude jokes. I haven't given up on women, I don't think all Sapphists are insane, and I do indeed know the real definition of Insane and I'm not using it in it's accurate context. Don't sue me!
Spoiler: ZIGGY THE FROOD! (click to show/hide)
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer

The Illusionist

« Reply #782 on: May 15, 2009, 12:50:36 am »

Spoiler: ZIGGY THE FROOD! (click to show/hide)

...that is glorious. Is it wrong that I want to print it out and stick it above my bed? Just to wake up to Siggy yelling "CHO!" at me each morning...

And Skinner, m'dear, I know the feeling all too well - both boyfriends and girlfriends, in my case. Perhaps they're breeding.

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
 - Robert Frost
nathe
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #783 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40:06 am »

Uhuh, uhuh. And what were the bad traits?

untill you've gone out with someone overbearing, defensive, narcissistic, controlling, clingy, two-faced, you wont know that theyre bad. esp in that combination (i'm not putting the others there, cause she wasnt them)

i must say, i like my women crazy, but theres a difference between good crazy, and bad crazy.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #784 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37:11 am »

1: They're all neurotic.
2: That list: Reminds me of a gal, scary arse witch that she is.
3: If you've never been, you won't understand. It's bad.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #785 on: May 15, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »

Uhuh, uhuh. And what were the bad traits?

untill you've gone out with someone overbearing, defensive, narcissistic, controlling, clingy, two-faced, you wont know that theyre bad. esp in that combination (i'm not putting the others there, cause she wasnt them)

i must say, i like my women crazy, but theres a difference between good crazy, and bad crazy.
A buddy of mine married the mother of his kid knowing she was bipolar (not bipolar,  but something real close that I cannot remember at this moment...) It was bad... He tried to make it work but after afew police visits and some hospital stays... he bailed after 2.5 years (and another kid)...

Moral is... sometimes we think they (women) are crazy, and sometimes they ARE crazy...

Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #786 on: May 17, 2009, 12:09:14 am »

I had money... I had a lot of it... then it all went down the drain. Which brings me neatly onto another reason I am almost reticent to get into another relationship - MONEY. Why does a relationship have to cost so much? I swear my last girl broke my bank doing NOTHING.

Actually, you know, it might be that I had to travel up to Lincoln to visit her, and had to cater to her awkward, hopelessly fundless needs.

I just want a girl who's sane, sensible, honest, and either employed or employable (Times they are a-testin', my friends, nowadays)
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #787 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:53 am »

Sometimes currency makes me very irate, it's just disks of metal and rectangles of paper ... they are almost totally useless, except you could melt down the coins and make tools or something ... little useless disks of metal, for fhtagn's sake! They aren't even rare metals like gold anymore, but even that's only taking into account it's rarity on this planet! There could be a planet out there that has gold dust instead of sand and gold is just falling out of the mountain sides! Then what would we do!? Gold has just become the most common metal, now all your jewelery is worthless! Should have stuck with copper and brass like us steampunks Roll Eyes

Sometimes I laugh to myself when I hand over to someone a useless peice of paper and they give me tools or something acctually useful Cheesy

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #788 on: May 17, 2009, 04:18:15 am »

but by your admission currency isn't worthless, it has a use in that you can hand it over in exchange for goods and services.. it's taken as bond of intent to service a debt, and in that format it's one of the big five inventions of the world (fire, wheel, power, money and beer in case you're wondering).

the use of currency to mankind in it's first form, that of a marker directly worth an agreed amount of 'X' that could be converted back with the issuer at that agreed ratio was perfectly fine, it's only once you take away that direct redemption ability that the currency becomes "worthless", perhaps "fictional" would be a better term?

also, the worth jewelery isn't purely linked to it's monetary value. I have only three pieces of jewelery, the one i wear most is a plain hand-beaten silver ring.. in financial terms it's of minor value, but it's worth to me is incredibly large due to it's origin and meaning to me.. if your jewelery is rendered worthless by the devaluation of it's metal content then surely it's just 'bling' rather than jewelery?

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
Baron von Landau
Zeppelin Captain

Retroeccentric dandy and aspiring villain

« Reply #789 on: May 17, 2009, 05:09:37 am »

Sometimes currency makes me very irate, it's just disks of metal and rectangles of paper ... they are almost totally useless, except you could melt down the coins and make tools or something ... little useless disks of metal, for fhtagn's sake! They aren't even rare metals like gold anymore, but even that's only taking into account it's rarity on this planet! There could be a planet out there that has gold dust instead of sand and gold is just falling out of the mountain sides! Then what would we do!? Gold has just become the most common metal, now all your jewelery is worthless! Should have stuck with copper and brass like us steampunks Roll Eyes

Sometimes I laugh to myself when I hand over to someone a useless peice of paper and they give me tools or something acctually useful Cheesy

As it happens, the tractless depths of space actually do hold something rather akin to what you described. Apparently, some scientists discovered that a fizzled-out star a few light years away has left behind a diamond of planetary proportions. http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=9219 To think that people will spend a life's fortune on a few grams of the stuff...

Anyone up for a bit of an expedition? Cheesy

"Give me the luxuries of life and I will gladly do without the necessities."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
BrassMonkey
Officer

« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:45 am »

Oh, gracious. I certainly do not dance. I always make an utter pratt of myself. Anyone here with me?

There are people that dance like they are conscious of people watching them and they are typically the people who dance "cool", and there are the people who dance like they don't know if anyone is watching them or not. I always prefer the people who don't know if anyone's watching them or not. They are the ones who are having the most fun. In my view, no one can make a prat of themselves so long as their having fun - genuine enjoyment is more attractive than any possible idea of "cool"
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2009, 02:14:27 am »

Oh, gracious. I certainly do not dance. I always make an utter pratt of myself. Anyone here with me?

There are people that dance like they are conscious of people watching them and they are typically the people who dance "cool", and there are the people who dance like they don't know if anyone is watching them or not. I always prefer the people who don't know if anyone's watching them or not. They are the ones who are having the most fun. In my view, no one can make a prat of themselves so long as their having fun - genuine enjoyment is more attractive than any possible idea of "cool"

You've never seen me dance, have you? (*shakes head*)

Click here for win. ---^
BrassMonkey
Officer

« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2009, 02:17:21 am »

You've never seen me dance, have you? (*shakes head*)

I'm sure you're too hard on yourself. (Of course I'm probably much more accepting because I'm most likely not much more graceful on the dance floor)
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2009, 12:27:05 pm »

Miss Honeythorn, find someone who really knows how to waltz and you will find no amount of natural clumsiness can detract from your enjoyment Smiley
I love dancing - there's nothing like doing a jive to your favourite song while everyone else is shuffling. Although the crushed-together-under-strobe-lighting-and-I-can-smell-your-BO type of dancing is not very appealing.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »

I can waltz. Not well, as my timing is crap, but I know the steps. I even placed in local competitions. When I was with a partner who had a sense of timing, that is. My brothers are both increadible ballroom and latin dancers. I mean WOW.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2009, 01:00:05 pm »

I've been told latin dancing is good for keeping fit/losing weight ect. But what little I've seen of it seems to involve a little too much bodily contact for my current state (hand on the back = NO )  So sadly I cannot try it out  Cry .
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:12:13 pm by Honeythorn » Logged

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2009, 01:13:57 pm »

I have to say dancing is one of my greatest pleasures in life, I think the thing is if you're confident enough to actualy dance, it doesn't matter what it's like- its all a matter of confidence! However if you are hesitant it will look rotten.... This is a different matter for more defined dancing styles. I'm intending to do jive lessons in the summer, if I can find some Grin

To bring this mildly back on subject; unfortunately, most of the people I've been amorously involved with have not had as much of a love of dancing....  Sad
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2009, 02:33:51 pm »

Is she going to the Asylum? If not, get her to go and grab a waltz with her!

Best way to charm the gals is with a nice bit of foot-wagglin, if yeh know what I mean.

Or maybe a Foxtrot. Or a boxstep. Or hell if it all goes to pot have a couple drinks and do the Hokey Pokey...

No is the short answer, thought I don't doubt that she would enjoy it immensely...one of her most charming attributes is her love of truly bad puns.... the only downside is that she smokes...will have to consider my options whilst lurking in tunnel 228...

eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:11 pm »

every girl that strikes my fancy seems to be about 10 years younger.  I wish I were a time lord...

I hear that Sprocket...well, in my case, it's "guys" that are about 5-10 years younger than me as opposed to girls Tongue. I know I'm a 40 year old spinster, but I surely do not look it, or *coughs* act it...how are 40 year old supposed to act is beyond me...I still get i.d'd and it's rather amusing when the person asking for my i.d does a double take Grin

"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #799 on: May 18, 2009, 11:03:49 pm »

I tend to go for older men and women. I think, for me at least, it's a maturity issue. I feel that I have more in common in nearly every aspect with someone who's got 5-15 years on me.

And, well, i happen to think grey hair looks distinguished, which helps Wink

Do those yof your who tend towards the younger feel it is for the same reason? Or something else entirely?

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: