The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 02:51:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 354986 times)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #675 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:33 pm »

So it seems steampunks are now some superior species that cannot mate with other non-steampunk folk. I understand why some of you might have problems.
Well, if your view of dating/courting is mating, then fair enough. I do not have very stringent set of needs regarding a 'mate', in the purest sense of the word, but if I am to start a relationship with someone,  I am very limited.

Basically, I am looking for an ubergeek, and if I find someone I like, in all honesty (and I really mean it), looks do not matter that much. I will find someone physically attractive if they attract me in other ways (in truth, I find most of your average airheads that have your classical beauty rather unattractive).

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #676 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »

So it seems steampunks are now some superior species that cannot mate with other non-steampunk folk. I understand why some of you might have problems.

I'm superior becasue I'm superior. I just happen to be steampunk too.

Granted, I have an active dating life, and am mostly single by choice and by high standards, so meh. Cheesy

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Gorbal
Deck Hand

« Reply #677 on: March 25, 2009, 05:48:43 pm »

Haha, just as a bit of fun, anyone want to share their checklists for their perfect partner?

Well as difficult as it is to define so briefely let me have a go;

Otaku, it is important that she likes anime and video games, prefarably old games and not crappy everyday anime like Bleach and Naruto but good anime like Lucky Star and The melancholy of Haruyhi Suzumiya and Fullmetal Alchemist!

She'd need to love to give and receive hugs and cuddles and snuggles lots and lots of the time Smiley

Like food! so many girls and just people seem to not like food, I love it! I can only think of two or three things I don't like out of everything that is food!

Steampunk, prefarably a bit of a mad scientist like myself but as long as she is a cool steampunk and into Victorianna then it's all good Cool

Personality wise just nice, quiet but not overly quiet as in she is not afraid to raise her voice if someone oversteps the line or not so un-talkative that she can't just talk a bit in general Smiley Down to earth is also important, often I can feel it more than anything else, when someone is like floating ten feet above themselves or if they are right there down to earth, someone who feels secure if you get me, just not a nut job but still a bit crazy like me so she will atleast participate in a round of manaical laughter when the moment is right Smiley
Also intelligence is desireable but willingness and eargerness to learn is a substitute for that ... as long as she knows what AC and DC stand for Cheesy

As for looks, well idealy beautiful or just good looking Cheesy nice eyes are important, I tend to go for dark brown eyes but as long as they are ... nice, it's all good Smiley Figure wise I don't like really really thin girls, all this size 0 nonsense, give me someone with a bit more meat on them anyday Cheesy Although I certainly don't mind thin girls Smiley
Someone like cute little Yuki Nagato would be brilliant Grin

Spoiler: Yuki! (click to show/hide)

P.S. I say "she" but I would also go for a he with these qualities Embarrassed but I really would prefare a girlfriend at the moment Smiley

You just described me except that I like Bleach (sometimes, I dig the fight scenes) and I am probably to old for anyone on here.

My current favorite anime's are Nabari No Ou, Natsume Yuugin chou and D. Gray man, my past favorites were Ghost Hound, Ergo Proxy and Mushi Shi.

Right now I just want to have a fun time with someone; just have a positive time to remember with them and end it on a happy note. And I don't necessarily mean romantically. I just want to bond with people, sit up at night talking, look at stars, look for ghosts in the woods...imagine another world together.
Celerity
Gunner

Reporting for duty !

« Reply #678 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:04 pm »

Yes. Smiley   Steampunks are somewhat more elite than the rest .  It sounds rather egotistical, but I strive to be better than others in at least one or two ways.

This is why I date certain women, and then "get bored" of them in some amount of time. All the while, they don't understand where I'm coming from - so they tire of me too.  It's a dynamic, nothing more, nothing less.

I have a goth streak too - and goths being more common than steampunks, I have dated a few in my time. They considered me "one of them", but all mentioned "you're not on my level, at all".  When the chips are down, they lament and wait for it to pass. I'm almost a squirrel when it comes to fixing problems that arrise - Something I find is a pretty common character trait for Steampunkers.  As well, my goth exs will scoff at anything or anyone "not goth", are very dismissive of alternate opinions, and exhibit short tempers, poor ethics, and so on.

A steampunker doesn't need someone else who is Steampunk in æsthetic: They need someone who is Steamy at heart.

Not once have they put gold in my pocket, but they put a smile on my face; therefore I declare them "good".
Sk1n
Snr. Officer

« Reply #679 on: March 25, 2009, 09:05:35 pm »

I'll jump on board too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That sums it up. Other things will probably come to me, but that's the jist.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:11:45 pm by Sk1n » Logged

Skinner
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #680 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:13 pm »

You know, I'm right pleased I can use the word "Sapphist" here and be understood. Lesbian seems like such a... bland and ungamely word amongst so much fine vocabulary.

And if folks don't know what it is, well, I probably just belong to some weird cult. Which could be right, in some ways...

...Sorry, I'm rambling.  Embarrassed
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #681 on: March 26, 2009, 11:43:20 pm »

-waggles her eyebrows at the other fellows- Watch an' learn, lads. I've been charmin' the bussles off o' women since I were a young whelp, an' It's workin' a treat thus far.

-back to Abiliegh- It's a right shame yer awl the way over on the other side of the world. An' o course you aren't -just- good company, you're far more multifaceted than that. Is that a word, Multifaceted?
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #682 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:54 am »

I know a fair few ugly lasses with ugly personalities.

And yet, my first girlfriend was overweight, had a face like a run over rat, who treated me awfully. I thought nuffin' but gold of her. That crafty vixen had me convinced it was forever. Three and summit years, an' awl, until I realized how she was manipulating me, and how restricted I was. Were like bein' on a leash. I shan't go into detail.

But lads, yeh must be careful when dealin' with Womens. Very crafty, they can be. The risks are high, but the rewards are rich. Play the field with your balls, the game with yer' head (The one on yer neck!) an' keep your heart well under wraps until you score a goal or two.

Yes I did just equate dating and love to a game o' footy. I must be english.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #683 on: March 27, 2009, 01:17:04 am »

Yeh know, there's a thing're doing on the continent called "swinging..." And it's all the rage in Paris...

What? Don't look at me so incredulously! I merely jest. Just because I'm in the business of illegitimate trading, doesn't mean I'd ever risk a married woman's dignity... -looks shifty- What?!

Either way, I don't look on Marriage all that badly; tis the old romantic in me. It's far off, but I would love to be a, (at least, figuratively speaking)  Husband and Father some day. One day.

Still. Can't be neither Husband nor Father till I find a -sane- Bird! All my past partners have been absolutely barking!
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #684 on: March 27, 2009, 07:59:52 am »

So in the last couple of pages, marriage has been either "exchanging kegs then hitting the french with something" or "blood and tears."

I personally would prefer the former, but could work with the latter as long as the cutting edges were properly sterile & the tears be tears of laughter in the main.

It's also about time I clarified my position that I'm not, in fact, single. For which you should all be very grateful, cos if I were a free agent, I'd have printed off a list of names and be knocking on each of your doors in turn with a bottle of absinthe, a riding crop and a sly smile. 

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Silkstone
Gunner
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #685 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:16 pm »

"I have such a hard time explaining to people why I find some people attractive..."
Things are always difficult when friends say "Isn't he hot?" (no on ever asks me if "she" is, and look at me funny if I point out  good looking girl and a good looking boy in the same room xP ) . You're totally right, It definitely is that little "I'm not sure what.." Very few people seem to have the same tastes, either.

*big hug to clockworkbird*
Ehhm.. I know a joke. Actually two, both about lightning, but I'm not 100% clear on what is appropriate to post or not *shifty eyes*.
Anywho's...
A man walks into a funeral home, his friend who works there is giving him a tour. There are three men layed out out, getting gussied up for their funerals. They all have big grins on their faces. The visitor asks his friend why, and his friend responds "Well the first had a stroke when his long-time sweetheart asked him to get married, and this guy here's heart burst when he won the lottery." The visitor points to the third guy and asks what happened to him, and the funeral home worker responds "He was out in a football field during a thunderstorm. He got hit by lightning and died instantly." The friend looks at him, confused, and asks once again why he was smiling at his death.
"He thought someone was taking his picture."

Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #686 on: March 27, 2009, 07:27:26 pm »

It definitely is that little "I'm not sure what.." Very few people seem to have the same tastes, either.

Thank goodness, it increases our chances of finding a mate astronomically! On the other hand, if we all had the same tastes maybe evolution would eventually produce identical males and females and then there wouldn't be any problem so we could focus on the inner beauty!

There's definitely a little spark when you find someone attractive and on a couple of occasions I've though rationally to myself "why do I feel that? There doesn't seem to be any reason, she's only normal..." but it can't be denied or fought. I spent weeks trying to find a fault that would put me off the last girl and failed miserably. Still love her, sniff....

Sorry!  Smiley

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #687 on: March 27, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »

There's definitely a little spark when you find someone attractive and on a couple of occasions I've though rationally to myself "why do I feel that? There doesn't seem to be any reason, she's only normal..." but it can't be denied or fought. I spent weeks trying to find a fault that would put me off the last girl and failed miserably. Still love her, sniff....

Sorry!  Smiley

Awww Smiley

Still re. the spark thingy -I was wondering if anyone ever have people that grow on them and become a crush and you don't realy realise untill a little while later that you're actualy head over heels for them?

It's also about time I clarified my position that I'm not, in fact, single. For which you should all be very grateful, cos if I were a free agent, I'd have printed off a list of names and be knocking on each of your doors in turn with a bottle of absinthe, a riding crop and a sly smile. 
Very lucky, as through untangling a mess of wool and cables I've managed to effectively tie my feet together...and to be honest I'm not realy into that sort of thing Wink Tongue

Them/they
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #688 on: March 28, 2009, 04:39:00 pm »

I find it annoying when people start talking about a steampunk subculture, deciding it has certain ethics and requirements. Even worse when they start thinking they cannot possibly date someone who isn´t proper steampunker.

touching on this (because I've been gone for several days), I agree its kind of silly to limit oneself by saying "I can't date anyone who isn't a proper steampunker" ect... but on the other hand, you know, I want someone who isn't going to be embarrassed by my hobbies.  You don't want to get into a relationship where your significant other is embarrassed by what you like to do in your free time.  At the very least they need to be open-minded and accepting of the fact that hey, we dress up in silly clothes sometimes.  Even better if they are into at least a few of the same hobbies.

Anyways... on a more current tangent... what is it with guys being scared away by a girl who reads.  I just got a job recently and one of the guys I work with, a relatively attractive and nice fellow had been flirting with me for the first couple of days.  Yesterday he walked in while I was on break reading and asked what I was reading.  It was Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's "Good Omens".  He asked what it was about.  I told him that it was a comedy about the upcoming apocalypse (best way I could think to put it without going into a lot of detail).  And he just looked at me like I was nuts.  Didn't say anything to me the rest of the night.   Huh  apparently being a bit of a book worm is a turn off? *sigh*

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
eggberta echegaray
Officer
Canada Canada

Eggberta
« Reply #689 on: March 28, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

Yesterday he walked in while I was on break reading and asked what I was reading.  It was Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's "Good Omens".  He asked what it was about.  I told him that it was a comedy about the upcoming apocalypse (best way I could think to put it without going into a lot of detail).  And he just looked at me like I was nuts.

LOL! I found this super cute, don't get me wrong...I don't "swing" that way, but If I was a dude, I would of snapped you up right then and there and laid a huge kiss on yer lips. heh! Anyhow...this is where I get into trouble with regards to my perspective on the whole being "single" thing...

my first thought when reading your post about this was...if the fella didn't know who or what it is your reading about, then he probably isn't worth it, for he's probably a blingtard! Regardless if he's cute...But then again...maybe he honestly has never heard of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and might rather enjoy their books if he gave it a chance?

"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #690 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:32 pm »

I think I may faint from shock.....I have just been asked out!  Shocked   Sadly I had to decline as the gentleman in question is not to my taste, and nowhere near me,  though he is borderline reasonable to talk to when not being a prat.

It's certainly a change to be asked!

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Silkstone
Gunner
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #691 on: March 29, 2009, 06:54:01 am »

"...apparently being a bit of a book worm is a turn off"
Erk - anyone who is turned off by a bookworm is a definitely a "Not-to-be-turned-on-in-the-first-place" in my book  Lips sealed <- for lack of a barfing face. I know people like him. They're entirely out of my range of understanding, and defintely don't want to either. HOW DO PEOPE LIVE WITHOUT BOOKS?
(stop me now or I'll start quote Fahrenheit 451 like a madwoman)

"I think I may faint from shock.....I have just been asked out! "
Congratulations, it's always a nice having confirmation that you are indeed lovely ^_____^ Too bad the eh.. dirigible wasn't to your specifications.

"I need a woman with strong technical knowledge! x___x"
And in walks into your life a women with great technical knowledge..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have you spoken to thi person? Or are they simply knows-and-wants-to-stalk-some-first?

"Wimmenz, Menz, Heelthy relationsheeps, and our colleective lack thereoff."
It seems to be mostly on the topic of teh wumminz. Teh menz are just too boring  Wink

I HAVE A DECLARATION TO MAKE:
All you persons who live within the islands of the UK and the surrounding areas should all get matched up and live happily ever after*. Then make lots of steamy love and take lots of photographs**. Thank you for your listening.

* As in go on some absolutely nuts adventures, almost die at least twice each, and save the alternate universe a chandful of times, twice of them accidents.
** Steamy Love = props and useable items of a steam-related nature which I may steal and love forever and hide in my basement, such as pocket voltemeters and goggles
Silkstone
Gunner
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #692 on: March 31, 2009, 12:10:22 am »

I sense a disturbance in the force *shifty eyes*

"...But now being 18 I am thinking of at least getting a date for prom, if such a thing is possible."
Haha, same here. I've been watching everyone shake-and-break up and down the halls but not found anyone yet that I'd think could last a little longer than three months Tongue But a prom date would be nice Smiley As far as I understand that's what Skinner is doing, just gettin a gal for the night (and stealing her corsage :O)
Do you have someone in mind at your school already? If so, rah rah! Go get her! *fist pump* Dress in steamy-vested goodness and snag her! All men can look gorgeous with the power of gears! Good luck! Cheesy
If not, em.. you're in the same boat as I x)
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #693 on: April 01, 2009, 12:24:09 am »

I think I may be soon banned from this thread. Myself and a girl I've been interested in both admitted that we like each other a lot. I'm not really sure what to do next...I wish I had been less reclusive in past years.  Sad  But she does think my goggles are awesome.  Smiley So Steampunk has helped me out again...

Alright, I'll be showing myself out the door.  Smiley

The nexy step would generally be to ask her out on a date!
The destination depends on your cash flow situation. Dinner and a movie at the high end to coffee at the other.
Art openings are an awesome low cost first date. Free food! (and wine for those of age)
Need more suggestions? Just ask.

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #694 on: April 01, 2009, 12:28:56 am »

Myself and a girl I've been interested in both admitted that we like each other a lot.

I wish you well. If you're fortunate she won't already have someone. Sigh.

No she doesn't, but this is sort of an awkward subject...she used to date my former best friend, who apparently ignored her and was a general asshole (Sadly, we took different paths. I got into Steampunk, he got into marijuana. Sigh...).  A mutual friend then gave me a boot in the rear to go and talk to her, apparently because I'm thought of as a "Gentleman" and the opposite of asshole.  Undecided So...I guess Steampunk helped me out again.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
silastic armor fiend
Snr. Officer

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #695 on: April 01, 2009, 02:40:42 am »

there was this girl i was interested in for a while. we met at the tattoo shop i was working at, and i absolutely fell in love with her. we dug all the same things, got along really well and generally had a really good time together. i thought she was sending me all sorts of messages but was too afraid to say or do anything about it. then one drunken night i sent her an email (i know, im a coward) telling her how i felt. of course she didnt feel the same way and shot me down. that was almost two years ago now. thankfully we remained really good friends. we dont see each other as much anymore since i moved, but i cant hang out with her without wishing for something more but not a day goes by when i dont think about breezy... Embarrassed. so here i am still single, and still looking. anyone in pa?  Wink
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:43:35 am by silastic armor fiend » Logged

in this town of sleepy hollow, smiling like you do
in this town of sleepy hollow, could be me and you
Silkstone
Gunner
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #696 on: April 01, 2009, 04:13:40 am »

"(Sadly, we took different paths"
Insert 'fortunately' there.

"I should really get out before the singles start throwing things at me, shouldn't I?"
*junk starts flying through air*
*throws flowers, chocolate and corsets at Missur Privateer* Quick! Once she gets back, give these to her and she'll love you forever Cheesy
But as for first date with her..  make sure it's something open and fun, not closed in and too intimate ^^ Good luck sir, good luck!

"Now I understand why you three are posting in the single' thread.....   "
Excuse me while I dip out and laugh my fanny off  Cheesy

OW! SHUFFLE! 'OO TOSSED THAT POT ON MY HEAD!?! What the frik do you mean it's a cymbol? I'LL GIVE YOU A FLYING CYMBOL ALRIGHT!
Celerity
Gunner

Reporting for duty !

« Reply #697 on: April 01, 2009, 04:27:50 am »

I disagree:  People are attracted to Interesting. They stay around for Reliable.

Reliable won't get someone's attention. And Interesting won't keep them around. 

Reliable = "nice guy", polite, educated, bourne of good character and upbringing. Respectful.
Interesting = What most guys call "the asshole type".  Dangerous people, people with style and no substance. 

Life is about achieving a balance - not just in the way of attracting a mate, but in how you accept yourself.  Even in your brief description of yourself, you seem to have disdain for your character.

Live it up a little. Achieve a balance.   Alittle bit of danger, that can subside into a dependable person as a short amount of time comes along.
Silkstone
Gunner
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #698 on: April 01, 2009, 05:50:58 am »

"...what?"
Skinner chucked a drum and a pair of cymbols out her.. em.. 'airship'... to create a 'badumsha' to a joke.

"With all your qualities I honestly don't know why someone decent hasn't snatched you up my dear."
Haha, thinking exactly the same thing.

As for me, it makes it hard being terribly shy and covering that by being ridiculusly eh.. ridiculous Tongue

'Chip, chip huzzah' for what Celebrity has to say. Agreed and seconded.
silastic armor fiend
Snr. Officer

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #699 on: April 01, 2009, 07:51:11 am »

Well I never felt more like singing the blues
'Cause I never thought that I'd ever lose
Your loving
Why'd you do me this way
Well I never felt more like cryin' all night
'Cause everything's wrong
And nothing ain't right
Without you
Got me singing the blues
The moon and the stars
No longer shine
The dream is gone
I thought it was mine
There's nothin' left for me to do
But cry over you
Well I never felt more like runnin' away
Why should I go when I couldn't stay
Without you
Got me singing the blues
The moon and the stars
No longer shine
The dream is gone
I thought it was mine
There's nothin' left for me to do
But cry over
Well I never felt more like runnin' away
Why should I go when I couldn't stay
Without you
Got me singing the blues
Got me singing the blues
Got me singing the blues

pretty much sums it up for me.
groovie ghoulies, by the way. if you like horror, monsters, science fiction and love songs then theyre the band for you.
groovie ghoulies
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:58:07 am by silastic armor fiend » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: