The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 27, 2019, 07:58:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 333837 times)
Emmeline X
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Aristocratic Anarchist!

« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »

I'm taking her there, so she believes, for a romantic dinner, taking advantage of the feast they serve in celebration of the new year.  In reality, once we have been suitably fed, I intend to take her by the hand to the fireside in the fireplace room seen above at the fall of dusk, drop to one knee, and ask her for the honour of her hand.  Should she accede to this, I shall then take her down the stairs to the front desk, there to acquire the keys to the room I've booked, and we shall spend an evening at the lodge.

Romantic, would you say?

You deserve every success.... Wink

Defiantly a tad more romantic than my own proposal, outside an estate agent in the rain...

I proposed to my partner whilst I was washing the dishes! It was a very impromptu moment  Cheesy

J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl
Dr. Zedrich Heretic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Air-shipwright and commander of the Reaper’s Gale

« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

I may have found a sweet geeky guy just for me.  Apparently my friends had been trying to set us up for quite some time and he finally found the courage to ask me out.  We to saw a 3-D movie and had pumpkin pancakes, not bad for a first date really.  I have invited him on my normal Thursday skate.  I hope it goes well.

Sometimes a well thought out set up by good friends can be the best match. Good luck!
It can also fall flat on its face.  Been there.  Long story short, girl had an obsessive streak concerning her ex, who happened to be the one trying to set all this up.  She tried to sink her claws back into him and I got left behind.  She’s since been told off by my friend-- her Ex.  In the end I’m glad, she was all wrong for me.

As such, I am a single guy.

If any ladies are looking for a romantic who’s also a Big Bad Wolf at heart, feel free to talk to me.  I love making friends anyway.

"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names.

But the bard songs will remain..."
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2008, 09:05:23 am »

Bacardi Breezer? Strange.

I'd say if you're going that route, just offer to by the girl a drink. You'd be surprised how much you might learn about someone by what they drink.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Haizea
Snr. Officer

« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:12 pm »

I'd say if you're going that route, just offer to by the girl a drink. You'd be surprised how much you might learn about someone by what they drink.

Oh? Do tell.

Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2008, 05:23:53 pm »

I may have found a sweet geeky guy just for me.  Apparently my friends had been trying to set us up for quite some time and he finally found the courage to ask me out.  We to saw a 3-D movie and had pumpkin pancakes, not bad for a first date really.  I have invited him on my normal Thursday skate.  I hope it goes well.

Sometimes a well thought out set up by good friends can be the best match. Good luck!
Ooooh! you guys sound like an unbelivably sweet couple! tell us more- I hope he's a good skater Wink <3

PS. A mon avis- pumpkin pancakes are definitely a good sign!

I'm taking her there, so she believes, for a romantic dinner, taking advantage of the feast they serve in celebration of the new year.  In reality, once we have been suitably fed, I intend to take her by the hand to the fireside in the fireplace room seen above at the fall of dusk, drop to one knee, and ask her for the honour of her hand.  Should she accede to this, I shall then take her down the stairs to the front desk, there to acquire the keys to the room I've booked, and we shall spend an evening at the lodge.

Romantic, would you say?

Very romantic! I wish you the very best Grin

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:24 pm »

Oh? Do tell.
It's hard to explain, and its not an exact science. I spend a lot of time people watching in bars.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »

There are certain rules of thumb. If they drink blood, stay well away.  Wink

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2008, 09:58:01 pm »

Unless your into that kind of thing.  Roll Eyes
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2008, 10:07:09 pm »

There are certain rules of thumb. If they drink blood, stay well away.  Wink

That's what Disposable Minions are for. Or Unwanted Relatives. "Thirsty? Fear not, I have a solution!"

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #234 on: December 05, 2008, 01:18:59 am »

I guess I might be the only one, but I find my favorite dates involve renting a movie and relaxing while enjoying the company of the one you care about. Quiet moments sometimes say more than words.

Its lonely being single... Until you find someone who is way to clingy and then it's the opposite
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #235 on: December 05, 2008, 03:03:37 am »

I guess I might be the only one, but I find my favorite dates involve renting a movie and relaxing while enjoying the company of the one you care about. Quiet moments sometimes say more than words.

Its lonely being single... Until you find someone who is way to clingy and then it's the opposite
Sounds like a good date Smiley but ...

Give me the clingyness!!! I want hugs Sad

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2008, 04:59:18 am »

HAha, I think we have dramatically differnt definitions of clingy. I meant more of stalker girlfriend who doesn't understand... Dear, I love you but I need some quiet alone time at least once a week. (Really, I just hide somewhere quiet with a book.)
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2008, 05:06:32 am »

I'm married, so maybe shouldn't post here, but I send my husband off with his friends for a "guy day" at least once per weekend.  They do outdoor sports, eat macho food, look around computer and sporting goods stores, etc.

Vienna
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2008, 05:18:39 am »

HAha, I think we have dramatically differnt definitions of clingy. I meant more of stalker girlfriend who doesn't understand... Dear, I love you but I need some quiet alone time at least once a week. (Really, I just hide somewhere quiet with a book.)
*sigh* If I could find my perfect girlfriend then I wouldn't care if she wanted to be around me all the time, I'd let her be with me all the time because I'd love to be around her, we'd just fit together so well we'd wonder how we ever did without each other Smiley *stares off dreamily*
Fiachna
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2008, 05:36:58 am »

Whilst I sort of agree with JingleJoe (being a hopeless romantic guy, how could I not), I think that for a relationship like that to work both people need to share almost identical interests and hobbies, otherwise one way or another, someone will end up wanting time to themselves to do what they like to do.

Haha, just as a bit of fun, anyone want to share their checklists for their perfect partner?
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2008, 06:39:28 am »

Haha, just as a bit of fun, anyone want to share their checklists for their perfect partner?

yeah, I'm game. I'm not single at the moment and I don't have all I wish for, given the vast variety of human beings out there, but I've found one I'm satisfied with and all my truly important needs are met.
When I was single i didn't realise the sacrifice that entailed, but i think it's worth it.

things i sort of like in guys:
long fingers,
gentle hands,
a distinctive voice,
a warmth in the heart,
an appreciation of alone time,
a love of cooking,
a definite romantic streak without being corny,
interests in steam/sculpture/music/ceramics/reading/birds/self-sufficient living,
traditional values (helping his lady financially while she works her butt off building and maintaining his home and gardens, as well as working in her studio),
someone that would marry me before taking me to their bed.
a distaste for all modern culture/vices/technologies,
a desire to cook on a wood stove and bathe in a hipbath by the fire, or from a washstand in the mornings, 
someone who never yells unless there is danger.
never manipulates.
never, ever brings harm to their body or their partner's, through action or inaction,
someone with physical strength but the ability to restrain themselves,
someone who is at peace with themself,
someone mischievous,
someone a little goofy,
someone clever and/or inventive, who can work with their hands,
someone without the ability or desire to lie to me,
someone who could benefit from something i have,
someone tidy and clean in the house, and a total mess in the workshop,
someone who I can make happy,
someone who can read my body language and know when to back off,
someone who won't ever look at anyone else,
someone who will challenge me to confront my character flaws, and not be afraid to be stern with me,
someone who won't let me get away with behaviour that threatens, or avoids an issue, and who will expect the same direction from me.
basically a partner in all things, with a positive outlook especially in regard to solving the inevitable minor squabbles.

an impossible man, and a long and pointless list. ah well.
had to vent that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:31:29 am by Lt. Lily Shaw » Logged
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2008, 06:48:32 am »

Well as difficult as it is to define so briefely let me have a go;

Otaku, it is important that she likes anime and video games, prefarably old games and not crappy everyday anime like Bleach and Naruto but good anime like Lucky Star and The melancholy of Haruyhi Suzumiya and Fullmetal Alchemist!

She'd need to love to give and receive hugs and cuddles and snuggles lots and lots of the time Smiley

Like food! so many girls and just people seem to not like food, I love it! I can only think of two or three things I don't like out of everything that is food!

Steampunk, prefarably a bit of a mad scientist like myself but as long as she is a cool steampunk and into Victorianna then it's all good Cool

Personality wise just nice, quiet but not overly quiet as in she is not afraid to raise her voice if someone oversteps the line or not so un-talkative that she can't just talk a bit in general Smiley Down to earth is also important, often I can feel it more than anything else, when someone is like floating ten feet above themselves or if they are right there down to earth, someone who feels secure if you get me, just not a nut job but still a bit crazy like me so she will atleast participate in a round of manaical laughter when the moment is right Smiley
Also intelligence is desireable but willingness and eargerness to learn is a substitute for that ... as long as she knows what AC and DC stand for Cheesy

As for looks, well idealy beautiful or just good looking Cheesy nice eyes are important, I tend to go for dark brown eyes but as long as they are ... nice, it's all good Smiley Figure wise I don't like really really thin girls, all this size 0 nonsense, give me someone with a bit more meat on them anyday Cheesy Although I certainly don't mind thin girls Smiley
Someone like cute little Yuki Nagato would be brilliant Grin

Spoiler: Yuki! (click to show/hide)

P.S. I say "she" but I would also go for a he with these qualities Embarrassed but I really would prefare a girlfriend at the moment Smiley
Fiachna
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2008, 07:36:25 am »

Well, I guess I should post my list, since I issued the question.

here goes, note that political and religious views are something that would be included but I won't be posting these.

Physical Traits:
Long wavy red hair (preferably the same shade as mine)
Snow white skin with a few freckles around the bridge of her nose
Rosy red lips
Uniquely beautiful face
Tall and curvy
(Well proportioned, nothing too big or too small)
preferably a little bit clumsy too, in a cute way

Non-physical Traits;
Very intelligent, creative and leaning towards the mad scientist side of the spectrum, with a penchant for abstract thought
Somewhat shy, but a natural born leader
Strong set of morals, values and ethics
A doglover (particularly hound dogs with their cute floppy ears and their sweet droopy faces)
Needs to be very empathetic and perceptive
Articulate, preferably with a pleasant ladylike british accent, and a cute laugh
Will not go to bed with me before being married
Steampunk! With a love for victorian garb
Lots of quirky knowledge, such that she would be fascinating to talk to
Loves computers, computer games, and gets quite worked up on them
Ambitious, driven, fiercely independant, but quite laid back and somewhat aloof
Scared easily by horror movies (so I can be her knight in shining armor who protects her)
loves to dance but otherwise not into sports or exercise
Embarks on zany projects/adventures, and loves to get me involved, as well as vice versa
Absolute hopeless romantic and can actually write romantic poetry, not just rhymes or open verse, but actual sonnets
A good literary background
Witty, with a fantastic sense of humour
Goofy
Charming
kind, generous, sensitive, virtuous, and a genuinely good person
Good at everything she does (In a tongue in cheek manner)
Above all, a best friend as well as a partner, fiercely loyal, honest and supportive

I'm not sure where I left the exact atom by atom building instructions, so this somewhat vague description will have to do Wink
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:41:04 am by Fiachna » Logged
Fiachna
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2008, 07:46:11 am »

had to vent that.

Wow, nice to know I'm impossible! (Not really, the tech clause cuts me out, but in my experience impossibility is the only impossibility) Tongue but seriously I don't think its ever pointless to have an idea of exactly what you want, I know when i have a life partner I'd like to someday go through the lists we each had and laugh about how close/far we were from the ideal. A favourite quote of mine to this effect is "We like someone for their perfection, we love someone for their flaws"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:46:02 am by Fiachna » Logged
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2008, 08:23:43 am »

had to vent that.

Wow, nice to know I'm impossible! Tongue but seriously I don't think its ever pointless to have an idea of exactly what you want, I know when i have a life partner I'd like to someday go through the lists we each had and laugh about how close/far we were from the ideal.
haha, i have a lot more obscure things to add to that list that i can't due to time and topic restrictions. Don't shove yourself into that pigeon hole before you know all the perverse and mad details :p Do you, for example, fancy... erm... shaving with a straight razor every day? wearing cute longjohns to bed? living in a separate part of the house to your partner? lifting and carrying? something else I'm unable to think up due to brain exhaustion??
erm...
Truly I wouldn't know what i wanted if he came up to me and slapped me with a glove.

I'm not expecting to ever have a person like this list in any case, because i often find myself liking something that i never thought i would. But also sometimes i'm adapting to like things where i sometimes wish I didn't have to. like the idea of not having a permanent home, when having one has been a dream of mine for a long time, and is now sadly beyond my reach as a direct result of my choice of partner. He being a nomad, and his funds being needed if we were to own land. I'd never trade though, because the freedom gained in singledom for me takes away all the support and closeness that i need more than any physical house.

If I tried to compare lists with my partner, he'd just give me one of those looks of his, and say "everything you are." <-- after the fact! He doesn't seem to have a preference for anything or anyone at all! Which takes a lot of the fun out of it, really. Such an open mind I don't envy. anything might creep its way in there! He could be host to swarms of alien ideas!!!
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

First Mate - The Brass Falcon Airship

« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2008, 08:43:20 am »

I don't think my checklist is too restrictive, though I think I might be holding too tightly to these qualities as absolute requirements.

Intelligent
Shares my interests in literature, science fiction and fantasy.
Enjoyment of costuming and steampunk a plus.
Preferably atheist.
Shares my predilection for experimentation in the bedroom.

For the most part I don't construct an ideal mate in my mind, but seek a fascinating unique girl out there who has her own eccentricities but meshes enough with me that we might build and enjoy something special. I see my checklist as more a list of attributes without which, we probably wont last very long.
Fiachna
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2008, 08:48:12 am »

Hmm, may be wise to keep the experimentation in the laboratory

...Sorry, had to say it...
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2008, 09:00:55 am »

Agree with you, Magister. Thus, my list follows:

No taller then 5'8" - I am 5'9" and girls exactly my height are stretching it and taller just won't do. It's a cave-man instinct but this little thing helps me feel like I'm the big man in the relationship, so to speak.

She's got to be able to handle my sense of humour - I can make most people laugh, but when my humour takes a drier or darker turn, sometimes it doesn't suit everyone. I want her to be able to smile or laugh at most of my jokes, and not mind the others. This will also help in getting along with my father.

She must be understanding of my whimsies - Sometimes I get distracted or go off on a tangent. I'm a strange fellow by most standards(take this steampunk business as an example, as well as my other interests) and my thoughts can be... insubstantial and light sometimes. She'll need to understand this. If she enjoyes some or most of the same things I do that's fantastic.

Likes to dress up - Or, said differently, doesn't mind getting looked at. I have an antiquated sense of fashion. Sort of a diesel-punk thing sometimes I guess. I like standing out in that way, and I'd like for her to enjoy a similar mentality.

Self-assured - She must be confident enough to survive myself and possibly 20 or more big drinking rugby lads. She doesn't need to come out with us - if she does, fantastic. Probably good for me. At the least, she's got to be able to deal with the boorish louts on the sidelines. If she's a Rugger herself, so much the better.

She must be able to hold a conversation with me, who not only has a firmer grasp of the english language then most people appear to, but also makes use of his large vocabularity during regular conversation. One of the reasons I sometimes get them odd looks talking in bars or restaurants with my friends friends. You know the ones. This will also help her with both my parents.

I think that's basically it. There are a hundred different things I WANT in a girl, but those are perks and bonuses. This short list are things that aren't completely necessary themselves, but if she lacks too many of them things won't work out well.

I seem to remember (its been a while) when you get to that point when you really care about your significant other, they really do become beautiful in your eyes. But toss in some dark/red hair, alluring eyes and tig ol bitties just for gits and shiggles.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2008, 09:08:51 am »

I don't think my checklist is too restrictive, though I think I might be holding too tightly to these qualities as absolute requirements.

Intelligent
Shares my interests in literature, science fiction and fantasy.
Enjoyment of costuming and steampunk a plus.
Preferably atheist.

For the most part I don't construct an ideal mate in my mind, but seek a fascinating unique girl out there who has her own eccentricities but meshes enough with me that we might build and enjoy something special. I see my checklist as more a list of attributes without which, we probably wont last very long.
I think you should hold as tightly to those qualities as you darn well want to :p unless she charms the pants off you and you think you can ignore her inability to read/plain mode of dress/filling the house with gaudily decorated shrines/being a eunuchwhich would call for inventiveness on your part i guess...

For me personally my list is part fantasy, part necessity (like the bit about not hitting me, or getting into barfights, haha.)
I'm not inventive enough to flesh out my ideal partner from scratch. as long as he's not abusive, ordinary or a cheater, I think I can love almost anyone. Some things definitely strike me though. Very definitely.
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2008, 09:25:53 am »

i used to have a long check-list detailing the ideal woman for me, but over the years of being single it's pretty much whittled down to:

- pulse
- not contagious
- won't press charges
- no track/shell suits
- no gold jewellery (especially large hoop earrings  Shocked )

Grin

i do have preferences though, mainly for shorter, curvier women.. and i have a thing for redheads and glasses *shrug* i figure another year or so and i won't be such a physical wreck and i'll start looking Smiley

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: