The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 24, 2019, 10:49:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 337874 times)
Dr. Munro
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2008, 05:31:51 pm »

I personally find it much easier to understand girls.  I know this is going to sound sexist but it isn't meant to.  I find girls alot more emotional which I find much easier to relate to than the bravado many mean display.  I know this is a horrible generalisation and there are many exceptions to this but on the whole I find this to be the case.
~Onironaut~
Gunner
Spain Spain

Dreaming...

« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »

Sorry for interference Tongue I think that there are girls and boys easy to understand and another ones that not... depend the personality. But as I see in general girl are more... sentimental? >__< I don't know how to explain it well in english XD  For example, girl, usually don't have any problem talking about feelings, I think that isa good thing. Most of boys use to hide them and don't speak about what they feel or think, only say "I'm ok, I'm ok"... when is obvious that not T_TU

In other way boys are straigther than girls when they have to express something.

Buut, it's not always like that XD I preffer to think about girls and boys like an unique group of people where everyone is different Tongue

Ah, and another one single here ^_^
Pluto
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2008, 08:02:16 pm »

I'm not sure I agree tottaly with that, I know some girls who can be really straight forward about things. I do think girls are faster to admit that they are wrong when that is clear to them, boys can get stubborn to the point that they can't view things any other way.

but overall I do agree with your conclusion, men, women, girls and boys are just groups of individual people. I do understand some of those people sometimes, but mostly don't .

And another single here as well, partly because of the nice guy thing (I hope!), partly because of my lack of decent communication skills and partly because there are just not enough women in this town/my study (7% women Sad ).
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2008, 09:37:40 pm »

My main reason for getting along better with guys I think is that there's a certain amount of mandatory lying in female-to-female interaction.  Part of it is the compliment thing, girls feel like they have to put themselves down if they get a compliment even if they put time into their appearance and know that they look nice.  But to point out someone else's fault, even in a joking way, even if it's true, is completely taboo among girls. Face to face, that is.  As soon as the girl in question leaves the room her faults will be discussed. At length. Guys on the other hand, make fun of each other for their faults.  It may not be nice, but it's honest.  I know my strengths and I know my faults and I'm not going to lie about either one to anyone.  If a girl has a problem with someone, they won't tell them, they'll just tell everyone else.  If someone has a problem with me I want them to tell me to my face. 

I've had some bad experiences.  Can you tell?  I'm too honest, which hasn't made me many friends in female circles, but guys don't seem to mind.
 This is all generalization, of course. Not all girls are like this and not all guys are otherwise, but some things are fact:  I've in my lifetime only had a couple of female friends that lasted longer than a year without having major falling-out, and of those few female friends none could be considered particularly feminine (most of them, like me, hang out mostly with guys). One is getting a sex change and will be another guy-friend soon. 

SteamDream
Officer

« Reply #204 on: November 14, 2008, 11:49:37 pm »

bravado is in the eye of the beholder. lol. Think of it this way, men who don't show any bravado get stepped on in the male community.(Generalization) For men to get respect from our peers we have to be... well manly. Example: I used to be the guy that moved to the side to allow 'punks' to walk by when they insist on walking at you, I quickly noticed those were the same people I ended up having confrontations with. Now if you want to drive me to the side you'd best be prepared to move me, you put your shoulder in my way to try and dominate me I'll put mine right up too. (6ft 200lb Soldier, I usually win.)  Now I find I don't have problems with punks any more.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2008, 11:27:59 am »

My main reason for getting along better with guys I think is that there's a certain amount of mandatory lying in female-to-female interaction.  Part of it is the compliment thing, girls feel like they have to put themselves down if they get a compliment even if they put time into their appearance and know that they look nice.  But to point out someone else's fault, even in a joking way, even if it's true, is completely taboo among girls. Face to face, that is.  As soon as the girl in question leaves the room her faults will be discussed. At length. Guys on the other hand, make fun of each other for their faults.  It may not be nice, but it's honest.  I know my strengths and I know my faults and I'm not going to lie about either one to anyone.  If a girl has a problem with someone, they won't tell them, they'll just tell everyone else.  If someone has a problem with me I want them to tell me to my face. 

I've had some bad experiences.  Can you tell?  I'm too honest, which hasn't made me many friends in female circles, but guys don't seem to mind.
 This is all generalization, of course. Not all girls are like this and not all guys are otherwise, but some things are fact:  I've in my lifetime only had a couple of female friends that lasted longer than a year without having major falling-out, and of those few female friends none could be considered particularly feminine (most of them, like me, hang out mostly with guys). One is getting a sex change and will be another guy-friend soon. 

I think that I'm almost incompletely the opposite position I find the less direct aproach far more comfortable & I quite like bitching on occasion Smiley The opposite position even extends to a friend having the sex change, being the opposite way around... I think the only difference is that all of my friendship groups are pretty mixed gender wise...

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

First Mate - The Brass Falcon Airship

« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:38 am »

I used to have a fairly even balance of male and female friends, thought it has somewhat eroded by several of the females moving away after college.

I tend to agree with what KatarinaNavane was saying, though obviously both genders have their own failings in the extremes of their interactions. Which I suppose implies that I prefer androgynous friends?  Huh

As any of my friends can attest to, I do not suffer agitators gladly. I will stick by a friend though anything, other than a backstabbing, even if they're backstabbing somebody else, I have no desire to associate with such people, and I'm the first to tell someone to knock off the drama. I'm all for helping with real problems, but no patience for the manufactured variety.
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2008, 09:11:40 am »

My main reason for getting along better with guys I think is that there's a certain amount of mandatory lying in female-to-female interaction.  Part of it is the compliment thing, girls feel like they have to put themselves down if they get a compliment even if they put time into their appearance and know that they look nice.  But to point out someone else's fault, even in a joking way, even if it's true, is completely taboo among girls. Face to face, that is.  As soon as the girl in question leaves the room her faults will be discussed. At length. Guys on the other hand, make fun of each other for their faults.  It may not be nice, but it's honest.

I certainly agree with this.

Most of my friends are actually female although I spend more time with my male friends. Ever since the start of this year my social life has completely frozen and I pretty much have to go online every time I want some company, but that should change soon enough.

I didn't even start caring much for relationships until I was 17 and with a few exceptions, things haven't sped up much since then.
Fiachna
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2008, 01:00:13 pm »

I've been single for the past 6 months, largely by my own decision. The main reason being my new philosophy that I will be perfect for someone, so may as well find someone who's perfect for me. The great thing about being single is I can go out every weekend to the local club and dance all night (quite literally). The only real bummer about being single is no one to send flowers on valentines day... Oh, and the occasional pangs of loneliness late at night...
Anyways, at 19 years old and going to university next year I figure I've got plenty of time, may as well enjoy it!

KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2008, 07:10:28 pm »

I've had some rather fulfilling friends-with-benefits relationships.  Usually it Is a friend, a good one (for me anyway) who doubles as someone warm to share the bed with.  It's not a substitute for love and never stopped me from looking for something more serious, but it's nice when you can't find the right person.  It makes me not hurry too much to find someone special, which I see as a good thing.
Professor Veritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2008, 10:50:36 pm »

Just a little note of encouragement:
I feel a lot of angst and loneliness in some of these posts - and I get the feeling that a lot of you are fairly young - late teens early 20's.  What I can offer from experience - it gets better.  Enjoy being single while you're young - you'll appreciate it even more when you find your "one and only".  I didn't find mine until I was in my mid-30's - and I had to cross oceans and continents to find her.  Time is your ally in the search for companionship and love.

Okay - enough from one of the old guys.

Regards,

Prof. Veritas
Haizea
Snr. Officer

« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:28 pm »

Hear hear, Professor Veritas! I'm okay with being single myself - after all, I'm still young, and I have my life ahead of me yet. I suppose it just gets a little lonesome when it seems that everybody has somebody, except you.
Still, keep a postive outlook, eh? Chin up, shoulders back, and remember the sky is infinitely more interesting to look at than the pavement.
...Y'know, except when you find neat little trinkets on the ground. But that's beside the point.

Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.
Mercurielle
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »

Girls aren't confusing! It's just that boys don't understand that love/want should be displayed by offering the biggest available box of chocolates Wink Not by buying them a Bacardi Breezer...
I've had relationships with girls and boys, and I honestly find girls easier to understand. Unfortunately, the downside is when you both get ready to go out anywhere, it takes years Wink Also, when you both have PMT at the same time...but then all the girls I've been with have known that choc and a hot water bottle are the best remedy  Grin

I find myself in agreement, Mlle. Emmeline.  Having dated both men and women, I find women easier to understand and far less confusing.  Complicated, at times, yes... but then, I can rather relate, so it's seldom been a problem.

I'm still chuckling about the "Bacardi Breezer" remark! tee hee hee!  Cheesy
Dr. Oliver Cross
Zeppelin Captain

As stable as a house of cards on the San Andreas.

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2008, 01:34:44 pm »

And here I declare that, should all go well, (and Cyriss bless my clockwork, it shall!), my most recent purchase shall take me forever out of the perview of this thread.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have acquired a ring, such that I might propose to my lady of gears.  Wish me luck?

If I have to choose between loving you or breathing, I will use my last breath to say "I love you."  --  Estevan Shu
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2008, 01:37:06 pm »

Congratulations!
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »

I'm certain you don't need "luck". Just resolve and the right words.

But best of luck!

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Dr. Oliver Cross
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2008, 02:06:36 pm »

Would any of my fellow steampunks be interested in the specific details of the proposal planned?  Don't worry, my lady doesn't visit this forum, a fact which I fear under normal circumstances I find slightly vexing, but as it allows me to speak of my plans, (Mu AH HA HA HA HA HA HA H..., er, wait.  Wrong plans.  Ignore that laughter), I daresay it is advantagious for once.

So, IS anyone interested?
Lieutenant Colonel Amos S
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »

i'll bite tell me your plan
Mercurielle
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »

Would any of my fellow steampunks be interested in the specific details of the proposal planned?  Don't worry, my lady doesn't visit this forum, a fact which I fear under normal circumstances I find slightly vexing, but as it allows me to speak of my plans, (Mu AH HA HA HA HA HA HA H..., er, wait.  Wrong plans.  Ignore that laughter), I daresay it is advantagious for once.

Quite curious, in fact!   Smiley
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2008, 05:23:40 pm »

Do tell...

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2008, 12:21:46 am »

I may have found a sweet geeky guy just for me.  Apparently my friends had been trying to set us up for quite some time and he finally found the courage to ask me out.  We to saw a 3-D movie and had pumpkin pancakes, not bad for a first date really.  I have invited him on my normal Thursday skate.  I hope it goes well.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Dr. Oliver Cross
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:02 am »

Behold: the Plan(TM)!  First, I assemble a fully-functional Runcible Gun, and use it to begin the assault on the shores of Zimbab..., er, wait.  Wrong plan.

Behold: the Other Plan(TM)!  I intend to take advantage of my locality, by virtue of taking my beloved to Timberline Lodge, an absolutely beautiful skiing lodge built in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration, and which you might see the exterior and interior of, here ( http://www.williamjosephgallery.com/images/Artworks/GeddisjpgEmailReady/Geddis%20G2375%20Timberline%20Lodge%20Mt%20Hood%20Winter%20Morning%2096x3.5.JPG ) and here ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569284@N07/3029053842/in/photostream/ ), respectively.  This will take place on New Year's Day.  I'm taking her there, so she believes, for a romantic dinner, taking advantage of the feast they serve in celebration of the new year.  In reality, once we have been suitably fed, I intend to take her by the hand to the fireside in the fireplace room seen above at the fall of dusk, drop to one knee, and ask her for the honour of her hand.  Should she accede to this, I shall then take her down the stairs to the front desk, there to acquire the keys to the room I've booked, and we shall spend an evening at the lodge.

Romantic, would you say?
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »

I've got plans for a hand-cranked run- Nevermind that.

That, sir, sounds like an excellent plan, I wish you all the best.

Zimbabwe's landlocked.... Grin
Emmeline X
Snr. Officer

Aristocratic Anarchist!

« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2008, 06:00:13 pm »

I find myself in agreement, Mlle. Emmeline.  Having dated both men and women, I find women easier to understand and far less confusing.  Complicated, at times, yes... but then, I can rather relate, so it's seldom been a problem.

I'm still chuckling about the "Bacardi Breezer" remark! tee hee hee!  Cheesy

It's so true about the Bacardi Breezers though! Perhaps if I'd have been given a bottle of Absinthe and a Coil cd I may have been more forgiving  Cheesy

J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:39 pm »

I'm taking her there, so she believes, for a romantic dinner, taking advantage of the feast they serve in celebration of the new year.  In reality, once we have been suitably fed, I intend to take her by the hand to the fireside in the fireplace room seen above at the fall of dusk, drop to one knee, and ask her for the honour of her hand.  Should she accede to this, I shall then take her down the stairs to the front desk, there to acquire the keys to the room I've booked, and we shall spend an evening at the lodge.

Romantic, would you say?

You deserve every success.... Wink

Defiantly a tad more romantic than my own proposal, outside an estate agent in the rain...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: