The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 16, 2019, 11:23:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 329631 times)
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:15 pm »

Hm...I think the main reason we're all single is because we...well, we're not exactly what you could call normal. We're eccentric, lively, interesting and intellectual. Which usually ends up scaring people off, sadly...
And also due to the courteous and good old-fashioned nature of the people here, we look for more than a mere one-night stand or flimsy affair. We're in it for the long haul - not necessarily marriage and 2.4 children, but for someone you'll stay with for more than...a week, shall we say. This also scares some people off, since commitment is an overwhelming thing.
And because we're looking long term, we're not willing to 'settle', as it were. We want people who are as fascinating as us. But eccentrics are in the minority, so we don't usually find that. But don't despair! Because if you ever do find someone on the same wavelength as you, it'll be well worth the wait.

I do agree with this however people often notice us who stand out first. When a nice lady sees a swarm of bogans, chugging beer and laughing over dirty jokes, the lad with the bowler hat and courteous personality is the one that stands out and grabs her attention (been there, enjoyed that). I would say the same goes for women too. There are enough hip-hop listening, new-BF-every-week, women around and even non-steampunk guys would like a woman with some more individuality about her.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2008, 12:20:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do agree with this however people often notice us who stand out first. When a nice lady sees a swarm of bogans, chugging beer and laughing over dirty jokes, the lad with the bowler hat and courteous personality is the one that stands out and grabs her attention (been there, enjoyed that). I would say the same goes for women too. There are enough hip-hop listening, new-BF-every-week, women around and even non-steampunk guys would like a woman with some more individuality about her.

*feels very consious of listening to outkast on lastfm* Still I get the point Wink I just happen to like hiphop quite a bit... I think that while your post is right in some ways, I think that a lot of people are just happy to go along with the same old thing, & are a lot more comfortable with it -often someone who's different, will get a good response, but tinged with curiosity & more in the manor of a friend rather than a lover- but as is said "lovers are easy to find, but good friends are much harder to come by"
My guess?  We are just too hot.  Wink

Must be.  There exists *no* other explanation. Cheesy
I concur!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:28:59 am by Pheobsky » Logged

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2008, 05:36:56 am »

I'm single, and have been for the last seventeen years. That would be worse if I weren't seventeen. Not looking for a relationship, this just seemed to be a spiffy place to "hang out" as those young 'uns put it.

It IS worse when you're 26. People start to look at you oddly when they find out you've never so much as been on a date. Still, I'm used to it now so I doubt a few years more will do me any harm haha !  Cheesy

It gets worse when your a 31 year old male, and you've only had one actual relationship with a girl (all be it a bad one...and lasted only 2 years - thankfully) and have only had two sexual parters.  I have not not even been on a date since 2001. One of my friends is now married, and another now has two kids and a long term partner, all the others are in stable relationships - I think they're beginning to wonder about me.  Undecided

I'm not really sure why I'm single. No, that's a lie - I know it's because I haven't made any attempt change that situation.  What I'm not sure about is why that is the case, I think I may have built up some kind of 'fear'...   I'm not good at chatting up girls, and all the ones that have shown interest in me, are really the wrong type (mostly charvers - chavs to those not from northern England). My Ex-GF was a charver, I'll not repeat that mistake again.

I don't stress over it though, I'm happy enough as I am. But being with somebody would be nice. Smiley

I was creepy old man'd once.

Yeah, happend to me too, actually - in the A&E dept of the local hospital!  Shocked

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
qubehead
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:55 pm »

I've never been creepy-old-manned, thank the good God, but earlier this year I had an inexplicable spate of married women hitting on me, 2 of them with small children in tow. Sheesh.  Excellent point about our eccentricity making things harder. We can all name several people who are delightful companions, yet we shudder at the thought of trying to raise children with them.
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2008, 10:08:22 pm »

As far as sexual orientation goes, I'm attracted to both genders, but seem to get along much better with guys.  Also, I'm more picky for girls than guys, and every girl I've been interested in thusfar has been straight Sad
So I've only ever been with guys. 

helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2008, 02:28:15 am »

*feels very consious of listening to outkast on lastfm*
Nothing wrong with listening to Hip-Hop, so long as it's not around me.

It gets worse when your a 31 year old male, and you've only had one actual relationship with a girl (all be it a bad one...and lasted only 2 years - thankfully) and have only had two sexual parters.  I have not not even been on a date since 2001. One of my friends is now married, and another now has two kids and a long term partner, all the others are in stable relationships - I think they're beginning to wonder about me.  Undecided

I'm not really sure why I'm single. No, that's a lie - I know it's because I haven't made any attempt change that situation.  What I'm not sure about is why that is the case, I think I may have built up some kind of 'fear'...   I'm not good at chatting up girls, and all the ones that have shown interest in me, are really the wrong type (mostly charvers - chavs to those not from northern England). My Ex-GF was a charver, I'll not repeat that mistake again.
It does? Dangit. Also, Chavs? Elaboration, if you wouldn't mind.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2008, 04:01:26 am »

I'm pansexual, so it doesn't matter to me what your gender is, as long as we can establish a connection of some sort.

That's a fun sexuality. I hadn't come across it till now. It sounds a lot like bi-sexual being that there only are 2 genders really to be attracted to 'pan' all (I'm guessing it's in the same context as panoramic and such).  could you explain it , if that isn't too personal.
Teradoc
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2008, 06:29:49 am »

Still single here myself, almost going on 25 years truthfully. Thing is I am terrible at approaching lasses due to being shy. Which is completely at odds with my job a customer service rep, I talk to thousands of people a month! .... I guess I would put my fear of rejection as the primary issue with myself, the fear of the person looking at me snottily and saying how their already taken but don't bother to show any of the signs/stop showing the signs of singledom!
Plus I am terribly eccentric to the point my co-workers think there is a few cogs missing from my boiler if you understand what I am getting at. So for the time I have just been comfortably single, but occasionally their is that pang of loneliness, or wish of conversation, or even the wish of mine I would have someone to dote on and assist.
'Course it don't help being from Iowa, while it is a great state for families -- I understand full well why the state haemorrhages young people. C'est le vie.
(PS Don't believe this is my 1st post, I posted before the downtime, just not much and can't forget the original name/email)
BaronPablo
Snr. Officer

Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!

http://twitter.com/#!/Bar
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2008, 07:02:43 am »

I'm pansexual, so it doesn't matter to me what your gender is, as long as we can establish a connection of some sort.

That's a fun sexuality. I hadn't come across it till now. It sounds a lot like bi-sexual being that there only are 2 genders really to be attracted to 'pan' all (I'm guessing it's in the same context as panoramic and such).  could you explain it , if that isn't too personal.

Pansexual to me means not caring what gender you are (male, female, transgender, whatever), for as long as I'm romantically attracted to you, that's all that matters. If I'm sexually attracted to you, well, that's a plus too ;-)

Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman
BrassMonkey
Officer

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:02 am »

It does? Dangit. Also, Chavs? Elaboration, if you wouldn't mind.

I think the easiest comparrison is to say a chav is an urban bogan. Just exchange the flannelette shirt for a baggy matching adidas tracksuit

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play -Heraclitus

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. -Einstein
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2008, 03:39:16 pm »

Hm...I think the main reason we're all single is because we...well, we're not exactly what you could call normal. We're eccentric, lively, interesting and intellectual. Which usually ends up scaring people off, sadly...
And also due to the courteous and good old-fashioned nature of the people here, we look for more than a mere one-night stand or flimsy affair. We're in it for the long haul - not necessarily marriage and 2.4 children, but for someone you'll stay with for more than...a week, shall we say. This also scares some people off, since commitment is an overwhelming thing.
And because we're looking long term, we're not willing to 'settle', as it were. We want people who are as fascinating as us. But eccentrics are in the minority, so we don't usually find that. But don't despair! Because if you ever do find someone on the same wavelength as you, it'll be well worth the wait.
Get me, talking like an expert...I'm probably one of the least experienced people here.
As for me...of course, I have hundreds of suitors! The queue to my door is a mile long! Why, I must fend them off with a stick whenever I go shopping.
No wait...that's zombies...
I kid, of course (an actual gentleman caller...pfft, that'll be the day). I'm single, but that's pretty much through choice - I've only dated one guy, and I broke it off after a short while because I was just too scared to continue. I'm...well, shy. Painfully so. The wider world has a way of making you feel small, and the concept of actually seeking out a partner has always intimidated me somewhat. I struggle to initiate anything, and I also back off as soon as someone else initiates something. A vicious circle. I suppose I'm a little scared that I could never meet up to their standards; it's not low self-esteem so much as being self-conscious.
However, I'm still young, so finding that special someone doesn't particularly bother me - unlike the rest of my friends, who all seem desperate for a boyfriend, as though it's some sort of status symbol (strange beings...). I don't particularly want a partner, but...well, it'd just be nice to have a kindred spirit, you know? Someone who would walk in the rain with me, and who would happily root through a skip without a care. So that we could walk down a street in costume, and people could ask "are you in a play or something?" and we could both say "yeah...the drama of LIFE!" It'd be wonderful.
But as I said, it's a dream that also frightens me away. I'm like a living paradox.
p.s. there appears to be several conversations going on at once, and I've just added another...my apologies.
yeah a girl i had talked to for maybe twenty  minuits yesterday and had just gotten comfortable and was being myself....hehe..She thinks I'm very odd now....still a friend i hope but still.... i am weird after all

oh and uh...I am the most inexperienced person here never having been in a relationship in my short 19 years of life.....

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2008, 03:52:50 pm »

If you wouldn't mind; what's a bogan? And am I pronouncing it correctly?  Boge as in Vogue an as in... an.
Pronounciation is quite good, but it is one fluid word, not bo-gan, and the a is pronounced more like an 'e', as in elephant, but perhaps htat is just our accent.

Definition wise, a bogan is usually someone who is uncivilised and uncouth, and generally has a very distinct broad accent, and interesting fashion sense (to say the least).

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:13 pm »

it'd just be nice to have a kindred spirit, you know? Someone who would walk in the rain with me, and who would happily root through a skip without a care. So that we could walk down a street in costume, and people could ask "are you in a play or something?" and we could both say "yeah...the drama of LIFE!" It'd be wonderful.
That sounds beautiful, I too desire a companion like that!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
BrassMonkey
Officer

« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2008, 05:12:14 pm »

If you wouldn't mind; what's a bogan? And am I pronouncing it correctly?  Boge as in Vogue an as in... an.
Pronounciation is quite good, but it is one fluid word, not bo-gan, and the a is pronounced more like an 'e', as in elephant, but perhaps htat is just our accent.

Definition wise, a bogan is usually someone who is uncivilised and uncouth, and generally has a very distinct broad accent, and interesting fashion sense (to say the least).

And they usually own a ute. And drink VB (type of Aussie Beer). And wear flannelette and have mullets (but now I'm just stereotyping). And say things like "phooaarrr, yur a hawt sheillah! give us a root would ya?"
 Grin
Dr. Munro
Officer

« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2008, 05:16:21 pm »

Well, Chavs wear awful matching tracksuits, tend to hang around on street corners (possibly near shops so that they can ask you to buy them beer or cigarettes), listen to R+B and Hip Hop, like mini-bikes, wear gaudy jewellery and generally offend the senses.
Jake krugar
Snr. Officer

Yes i AM talking about the blue one you fool!

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »

And they usually own a ute. And drink VB (type of Aussie Beer). And wear flannelette and have mullets (but now I'm just stereotyping). And say things like "phooaarrr, yur a hawt sheillah! give us a root would ya?"
 Grin
rofl

oh and dont forget chavs ,burbery and making sure they still have genitalia
Dr. Munro
Officer

« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2008, 05:27:53 pm »

Oh, of course!  How could I forget the constant checking to make sure their penis hasn't fallen off?
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2008, 07:15:59 pm »

oh and uh...I am the most inexperienced person here never having been in a relationship in my short 19 years of life.....

Wrong. I'm 26 and have never so much as been on a date. And that won't happen until I am well past thirty anyway as I have 8 stone in weight to lose first.

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:18 pm »

*googles*

1 stone = 14 avoirdupois pounds and 8 stone apparently constitute a hundredweight..

Silly metrically challenged people.. Tongue
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »

Wrong. I'm 26 and have never so much as been on a date. And that won't happen until I am well past thirty anyway as I have 8 stone in weight to lose first.

Miss Honeythorn, were we not so geographically estranged, I would be very happy to take you on a date!  Smiley

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »

Oh, of course!  How could I forget the constant checking to make sure their penis hasn't fallen off?

Well of course they'll worry about that. With the VD they expose themselves to it's a constant risk.  Grin
Jolly Jill Rodgers
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:27 pm »

Goodness!  I skip a day and look what I miss.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2008, 04:01:35 am »

Grin
Or, In NZ they drink any of the following;
DB
Lion Red
Export Gold
Speights
Double Brown

All of them despicable, disgusting Beers. And all of them cheap. So, It's whatever their pathetic jobs can afford, so long as it gets them drunk fast.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2008, 04:24:24 am »

Miss Honeythorn, were we not so geographically estranged, I would be very happy to take you on a date!  Smiley

Indeed I feel the same way, Miss Honeythorn.  However, if you fancy a trip up north, I'd be glad to take you on an evening out somewhere. Smiley

As for the chavs, well most descriptions given here are of the male variety, the female versions are even worse....  If you want a fairly good idea of what a female chav looks like, I suggest you google image search for "vicky pollard".   Grin

Here's something to get your started:

SS
Yorktron
Deck Hand

« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »

Is it just me or do some people here sound resigned to being single [and I mean resigned in all respects as in they feel that being single is awful, but they will not do anything about because they are lazy or something]?

I may have the luxury of being a little optimistic because I'm still 20, but still...

I had a bad relationship and I used to think being single was horrible. Now, while being single, for me, is not for me, I still enjoy it for what it is. However, I still keep an eye out for potential relationships. Do people think you cannot/should not do that? [Enjoy being single while still looking for a relationship]. Now, at the risk of sounding horribly and naively simplistic, Let's enjoy life for what it is!

Also, that Vicky Pollard... She's just an extreme parody of the real thing, right? Haha, I had no idea what a chav was until this thread.

Regards
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: