The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 17, 2019, 09:15:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Steampunks?  (Read 334293 times)
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #1000 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:58 am »

1 - stop trying to date your female friends.

2 - women find all kinds of things attractive. It's simply a matter of finding the right one.

3 - you'd be amazed how many opportunities there are to chat us up that could lead to something. Stop overthinking it.

And now the swami is going to come down from the mountaintop and go back to bed...

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #1001 on: August 05, 2009, 11:24:55 am »

2 - women find all kinds of things attractive. It's simply a matter of finding the right one.
This is true.
Everyone is different, everyone likes different things in other people. Sometimes we find a good match, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we think we've found a good match, and then it turns out not to be. But someone will come along.

However, I think I'll be single for a while, seeing as my nickname at the moment is syphilis. 
Athena
« Reply #1002 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »

I'll have to look it up. And at least try not to fall in love with friends, especially best friends, because trying to be friends afterwards rarely, if ever, works. Trust me on this one. But, I'm still single, sooo... Tongue
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #1003 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:18 pm »

But I would prefer someone who is a friend, because then I trust them.
I have major trust issues.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
Athena
« Reply #1004 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »

Oh no, definitely get to know them well enough first, by all means. Trust is a good start, at least then if things don't progress, you still have a friend.
Nyte
Zeppelin Captain

Architect of Social Chaos

« Reply #1005 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »

Oh no, definitely get to know them well enough first, by all means. Trust is a good start, at least then if things don't progress, you still have a friend.

Seconded whole heartedly.  Just be careful that you find the courage to let them know there is an interest in more, or it will almost certainly never go beyond friendship.

"Memories may last for years but, Names are just for souveniers..."
Athena
« Reply #1006 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:22 pm »

This has always been my problem when I've approached it from a friendship perspective. I'm always scared to death if I admit to the other person that I want to take it further that it would lead to some extremely awkward moments. My first instinct, if rejected, would be to never speak to that person again, not of of hate but out of embarassament. I would hate that because I don't have a huge circle of friends, just a select few, and the ones I keep closest I trust deeply.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1007 on: August 05, 2009, 10:59:03 pm »

See, this is where I get mixed messages, because I start to trust when they become friends. Then I'm told not to date friends.

Oh courage, thou hast evaded me all mine life. I see, only to have when to late.
Athena
« Reply #1008 on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »

Maybe dating friends will be a different experience for you. It's never gone well for me, but it's worth a shot if you think it is.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1009 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »

Lets hope so, I'm going to try and go after a newer friend of mine.
But I wont be able to until I get back from my trip.
By the by, I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks, starting next week.

I'm going to see if I can't get my friend's number before I leave, it would be a record, and a step forward.
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #1010 on: August 06, 2009, 11:31:12 am »

Hint for the lads: Become a doorman at a bar, if you're able. All the girls then want to ingratiate themselves to you, as a figure of authority, and the one who will look after them if some creepy guy is after them or somesuch. It's a good way to start with the talking.

@Sean that seems a bit contrived, honey-honey. granted, it is a good way to meet girls and still embrace one's personal shyness, but i notice that here the girls that talk to the bouncers the most are the ones that are hammered (and often have vomit in their hair).

@Hastings i made the comment not to date friends because it has never worked for me (some of my exes are now some of my best friends however) and because someone made the comment a few pages back about how none of his female friends fancied him. i cannot remember who made the post as i check the boards by mobile device most of the time. no offence was meant by it.
Genevieve Ozuna
Snr. Officer

The Resident Insanatee

kaleidoscoptic
« Reply #1011 on: August 06, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

Indeed he is ;P

Best of luck Hastings. And as for my 2 cents of advice: it has been in my experience that acting confident even when you feel nervous as hell will often lead to real confidence. Just don't be worried and go into it expecting to have some fun and more likely than not you will.

As for my single life: several weeks ago a close male friend informed me that I was a bit of a flirt. This came as a shock to me, as until recently I was painfully shy and awkward in social situations where I didn't know anyone. I then went to some even closer lady friends and they all replied in unison to my shocking reveal— "DUH." Hahaha, since then I've actually noticed it a lot in just my daily conversation. I dunno, I just always though I was friendly. It still amuses me though. Currently I have a handful of interests, but nothing too serious, which is fine by me as I'm starting college soon and really am not in the mood for anything serious.

There, now that I've shared I'm scurrying back to the mosh pit. Yay for human pinball. Anyone feel like ballroom dancing to some symphonic metal?

Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #1012 on: August 07, 2009, 07:36:35 pm »

Two-and-a-half YEARS?!?!? Dear god!

*kidding*

I agree; we're not worth the trouble. Except for me - i'm awesome.

Yes, Reni, that goes without saying, because you are awesome!

Was talking to a girl a while back about it an she was shocked that it was almost 2.5 years since I'd been in a relationship. Must be because of all the teeenage prenancy, underage sex and young marriages, as well as the huge amount of 'sexual' presentation in the media (programmes, adverts and what not).

Oh well, being single is grand, I enjoy it. One of my friend's hates being single, as he's not the best looking chap, nor does he have the best personality in the world, and he's only had one relationship (over a year) in his life and he's a couple of years younger than me (I'm 25). Poor lad.

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

Hello hello, And also goodbye.
But I ran into the girl I am going to go out with on monday, last night, things weren't too awkward, but there were a bunch of people I've never met before, and they made it a little weird. All in all a good time though.
Now I must shower, and be on my merry way towards the mall, for that is where I am meeting my friend for a day of adventure!
Have a nice day, and may your smiles come easily
Siryn
Officer

« Reply #1014 on: August 07, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »

Two-and-a-half YEARS?!?!? Dear god!

*kidding*

I agree; we're not worth the trouble. Except for me - i'm awesome.

Yes, Reni, that goes without saying, because you are awesome!

Was talking to a girl a while back about it an she was shocked that it was almost 2.5 years since I'd been in a relationship. Must be because of all the teeenage prenancy, underage sex and young marriages, as well as the huge amount of 'sexual' presentation in the media (programmes, adverts and what not).

Oh well, being single is grand, I enjoy it. One of my friend's hates being single, as he's not the best looking chap, nor does he have the best personality in the world, and he's only had one relationship (over a year) in his life and he's a couple of years younger than me (I'm 25). Poor lad.
2.5 years isn't bad. Try 5 yrs ;P

I liked being single at first, but then after the 3rd year I started getting lonely. I'm 28 so now I'm at the point I'm looking for something serious. Or waiting for something serious to find me Tongue

Nyte
Zeppelin Captain

Architect of Social Chaos

« Reply #1015 on: August 07, 2009, 10:10:02 pm »

I haven't been in a relationship since march 11th, 2004, so yeah, I understand the feeling.  For a good part of that, I knew I wasn't ready for a relationship, I needed to work on me, and deal with my issues from previous relationships.  Now, I feel I am ready, and missing being in one, though not trying to rush into just anything.  I only take interest in something which looks very real and containing a lot of interest and potential.
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1016 on: August 08, 2009, 02:00:26 am »

Ahhh well, my fathers best ever advice - stay single. I intend to do so. I'm fighting my genetic & social engineering (feeling the 'need' to 'reproduce' and 'have someone' as a partner, because in my lucid states I -really- want to be on my tod). 2.5 years isn't too long, I know, and I hope to last a lot, lot longer. But I won't. I know that I won't, because of how I am - instinct rules over my brain Sad
Athena
« Reply #1017 on: August 08, 2009, 03:11:24 am »

*one bottle of wine later*

I agree! Who needs monogamy? It's like living in a gilded cage...it's marketed as a plate of gold covered sh*t...it's all pretty on the outside, but as soon as you scratch the surface...

*slumping in a chair*
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1018 on: August 08, 2009, 07:35:26 am »

I feel the need because I want to live all walks of life. I will do everything I can before I die. If that means monogamy, the so it shall happen. You cannot say you don't like it, until you have tried it.
Polygamy is in there too. I am single. I don't see much else to do with dating.

OH

Happiness is only true when shared. Interpret as you will.
Siryn
Officer

« Reply #1019 on: August 08, 2009, 10:12:05 am »

I haven't been in a relationship since march 11th, 2004, so yeah, I understand the feeling.  For a good part of that, I knew I wasn't ready for a relationship, I needed to work on me, and deal with my issues from previous relationships.  Now, I feel I am ready, and missing being in one, though not trying to rush into just anything.  I only take interest in something which looks very real and containing a lot of interest and potential.

I feel the exact same way. I worked on all my issues years ago..I don't want the next guy to suffer from the mistakes of the last..so I got all that out and now I'm at the same point you are. Glad to know someone else out there is going through the same thing.
Athena
« Reply #1020 on: August 08, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

@Wraste : Really?

Okay, I just have to post this. Some guy from England's in the library (how he came from there and ended up in this circle of Hell I don't know). Anyways, he went out of his way to walk by me and say "looking good today" in that wonderful accent. I kinda smiled back and went on my merry little way.

I look like crap today, I feel like sh*t, and yet...seriously, what the fuck? And are guys from across the pond always that forward? Just wanted to know.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:20:29 pm by Athena » Logged
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1021 on: August 08, 2009, 04:52:51 pm »

<chuckles> Depends on the individual! All that rubbish about Englishmen all being 'reserved' is...well, rubbish. We're as forward as and as reserved as any other guy.

These days I must admit, it comes to how bothered I am to make the effort. Which, considering my constant exclaiming that I don't want a female in my life in that capacity for the moment, is not often. Or at all.

EDIT: But! 'twere there to be a female whom I had an interest in, then yes, I'd go and talk to them. After all, I'd have nothing to lose.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #1022 on: August 08, 2009, 05:22:01 pm »

My only complaint about being single is a lack of backrubs.  Undecided 'Specially since I got a taste the other day from a girl I ran into, hadn't seen her since the last time we, ah, ran into eachother back during St. Paddy's. Very pretty green eyes. Le sigh.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Lady Branwen Bastrop
Deck Hand

Not always a Lady

raven_christina
« Reply #1023 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:26 am »

-grabs a biscuit and chews thoughtfully-
What isn't good is when you find someone who's almost perfect for you. However she lives in Ontario while you're stuck in New Mexico, and you're a realist who knows from experience long distance doesn't always work out.
-takes another bite, chews and swallows-
Sorry, felt like ranting.

"Really, just call me Branwen. Lady is just a title tacked on because I'm related to my father."
Fortis et Fidelis
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #1024 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:28 am »

better than people far OLDER than you...
seriously i'm on okcupid and i keep getting 50 year old men messaging me....
It's distressing, and slightly creepy, are there no 30 something men on the planet?
*sorry, mildly depressed rant, goes to cook biscuits and drink tea to feel better*

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: