The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 24, 2020, 02:24:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 81558 times)
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #400 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »

Dr. Madd, please don't be killing little creatures with an axe.... Shocked  Lovely axe by the way. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2011, 03:15:58 am »

how about a mace?
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2011, 04:48:43 am »

i have several maces.

What do we want? Decapitations!
celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

Mensura ergo sum (I measure, therefore I am)

« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2011, 02:57:53 am »

People have mentioned coshes, a fine Victorian weapon for the gentleman or lady about town in need of defence from footpads or the like. Irene Adler in the lastest Sherlock Holmes uses one to good effect to immobilise one assailant before popping out her stiletto. The cosh was sometimes made of rubber with a lead weighted end, so it was quite a small item, yet easily capable of fracturing a skull I should think.

I am sure I have seen in a museum a cosh fashioned to fit in a walking stick, so that the head unscrewed, or more likely, was on a bayonet fitting, to reveal a short handle, so that the user immediately had a stick and a cosh if the blighter got too close. I even have some lovely rubber coated steel balls that would look very nice as a "gentleman's nighttime defence aid" if mounted on a flexible stalk and concealed in a stick, and I have just found a lovely seasoned broomstick, so I might have a project!

Dr. Celephicus -- amateur (gentleman) mad scientist
--
"How many L's in disembowelment?"
"What are you doing dear?"
"I'm writing a letter to the Times on treatment of the poor."
gmjhowe
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #404 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06:19 am »

People have mentioned coshes, a fine Victorian weapon for the gentleman or lady about town in need of defence from footpads or the like. Irene Adler in the lastest Sherlock Holmes uses one to good effect to immobilise one assailant before popping out her stiletto. The cosh was sometimes made of rubber with a lead weighted end, so it was quite a small item, yet easily capable of fracturing a skull I should think.

I am sure I have seen in a museum a cosh fashioned to fit in a walking stick, so that the head unscrewed, or more likely, was on a bayonet fitting, to reveal a short handle, so that the user immediately had a stick and a cosh if the blighter got too close. I even have some lovely rubber coated steel balls that would look very nice as a "gentleman's nighttime defence aid" if mounted on a flexible stalk and concealed in a stick, and I have just found a lovely seasoned broomstick, so I might have a project!

Thats a very good idea. Might I suggest that one could easily make a cosh using a plastic, of foam ball instead of a lead weight, allowing one to use it as a prop while making rendering it harmless. I can see someone easily bopping their friends while the friend pretends to be knocked out.

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles
Metal surface on a fragile skin.
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #405 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »

I seem to recall that during my service in Germany the Police used coshes to great effect by wandering through a brawling Gast Hous and thumping every second blighter on the casaba.  It was amazing to see two coppers walking through almost casually, a thump here, a thump there and the fraca broke op rather rapidly.

Mind you my comrade and I saw them come in and stuck to the far wall to make our way out.

Prost,
Eckermann, Capt
Marines
RDC

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #406 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »

Thats a very good idea. Might I suggest that one could easily make a cosh using a plastic, of foam ball instead of a lead weight, allowing one to use it as a prop while making rendering it harmless. I can see someone easily bopping their friends while the friend pretends to be knocked out.

I once had a re-enactment of the Goodies episode "Kung Foo Kapers" with my 10 yo daughter where those wacky boys hit each other over the head with oversized black puddings whilst screaming "Ecky-Thump". Now a black pud is somewhat squishy, we used two Italian salamis, which are like rock. Consequently she went to school with a huge lump on her head, and on being asked about it by her teacher, told her "My Dad hit me over the head with a sausage! But I got him back with mine!". To this day I don't know how I escaped having the social services called on me.

The balls I have were handholds on some sort of 1970's exercise machine, and are of steel about 2" in diameter covered in a thin layer of rubber. Strolling through darkened streets with one of these in your hand you would feel no fear, any assailant would get a massive indented fracture of the skull. As Sherlock would say: probable prognosis: death. Maybe foam rubber would be better.

Thanks for the idea! That's what I like about this forum.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:14 pm »

If you are an exceptionally demented mad scientist...well beyond you and your child striking each other with sausages...you can always have a reanimated hand in a cage.  The biggest trick with this weapon is making sure the hand is focused on your intended target and not you.  Perhaps throwing the cage is the best alternative. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Perhaps next will be reanimated head in a box... Grin
everett3rd
Gunner

« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:16 pm »

I am not a "pro-gun" sort....<edited for length>

Blades seem to simple...

I am considering maybe trying a set of tools that can double as weapons...

Any other ideas?  My creativity has hit a block in this.

Have you considered a "Tesla" inspired Taser type weapon? Non-Lethal lends it self to pistol, staff, glove...lots of ways you could go with it.
celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:07 am »

If you are an exceptionally demented mad scientist...well beyond you and your child striking each other with sausages...you can always have a reanimated hand in a cage.  The biggest trick with this weapon is making sure the hand is focused on your intended target and not you.  Perhaps throwing the cage is the best alternative. 
  Perhaps next will be reanimated head in a box... Grin

Sir,

All mad scientists are demented. Just some are more demented than others. Play fighting with food items with offspring is fairly mild, as we mad scientists go. I usually do this sort of thing with Igor, but since I installed his lightweight titanium brain protecting skullpiece, he is impervious to most forms of attack from above. Besides it comes in useful as the upper terminal of a Tesla Coil or a dolly for forming sheet metal.

I actually have an extremely strangely shaped birdcage, I was thinking of making a strangely shaped bird (!) to go in it, perhaps an animated hand would be better. I am well aware of the dangers of letting animated body parts loose, they can horrifically mutilate minions or assorted villagers, or even get into the sewers and amalgamate with other escaped parts to form hideous misshapen shambling creatures bent on destruction and mayhem... again. Besides Igor has know to become romantically involved with them, which is an affront to Nature!

Thanks for another good idea!

Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2011, 02:20:14 am »

Sir,

All mad scientists are demented.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Yes one must be careful with reanimated hands, as they are like cats. If they like you they are truly wonderful pets, if they don't like you then they will claw your face off.

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:03 am »

Sir or Lady,

Please excuse the offense. I have owned many reanimated hands (and Igor has 3, one spare, after all, you never know) and have only been attacked by a few. It was probably my fault.

Mad scientists are seen as demented by the common herd, who cannot see the true value of reanimating dead flesh, creating a robot army, increasing intelligence with an augmented brain pan extension or keeping previous colleagues "alive" as brains in aquaria. For that matter, having a playfight with their daughter with large Italian sausages, or making a toy volcano with about a quarter of a kilo of magnesium shavings and iron III oxide (this is lots of fun but ignite this one from a distance if you value your face!) might also be considered a bit strange.

The typical mad scientists habit of shouting "Fools, I'll show them all!", rubbing their hands together whilst doing that laugh, which takes years to master properly also fosters this erroneous image in the minds (if you can call them that) of those peasants, who are just waiting for any old excuse to troop up to the castle with torches burning...

Also a true mad scientists is also considered demented by his peers, and apt to take hideous revenge at the slightest (percieved) slight. How well I remember poor Doktor K. who publicly denounced me and doubted the efficacy of my evolutionary regressor chamber. How I hope that he enjoys his new quarters in the Miskatonic University Cryptozoological Gardens. To say nothing of Prof. G., I hear that most major organs were recovered after our little "disagreement".

Excuse me. the peasants are revolting again, I must send out Igor with the electro-horsewhip...
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:32 am »

A cosh is related to a sap ('blackjack") which is what police used before/in addition to nightsticks and batons.

Typically short, leather, and filled with lead buckshot, they make an effective close-in 'less' lethal weapon. A proper hit can stun someone (strike the shoulder, elbow, knee, etc) just like with a baton, but repeated head strikes would likely be lethal or severely unhealthy, just like with a baton.

A friend makes them for police officers and given my background, I was gifted one. Highly illegal to use these days, mine is purely for collecting.
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer

Oooo! Shiny!

« Reply #413 on: October 16, 2011, 03:59:35 am »

The outfit I’m creating around my as-yet unnamed alter ego is utilitarian in nature, so the exotic firearms and weaponry don’t fit his character.  I picture him living and working on the fringes of society, possibly something like mercenary airship security.  He’ll have some type of long range weapon, though I haven’t decided whether it will be aether or slug based.  However, he’ll also be armed with a throwing axe.  It’s simple, effective, and doesn’t need to be recharged or reloaded.  After reading this thread I may also have a “decorative” monkey’s fist cosh as a backup weapon as well.

I started building a prototype of the axe today and it ended up nice enough to become part of the outfit.  The blade is 3/16” plywood and it’s notched into the bottom 16” of a sledge hammer handle.  The blade is secured with 1/8” leather strips, and the handle is wrapped with the leather as well to provide a better grip.  The blade still needs to be aged a bit since it is currently flat black, and I need to create some type of scabbard for it, but the hard work is done.
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:22 am »

I would recommend a tomahawk, which is more useful as a weapon and a tool (especially with the hammerhead back), and can, in an emergency, be thrown.

Otherwise, you need a rack of throwing axes, they're one-shot.....
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:31 am »

Personally, I have always been tempted to build something like this:

Oh well, One of these days.

You just had to post that. Now I'm addicted again!

On the subject of tomahawks, I have a replica forged iron/steel wampum (trade) tomahawk -- not a pipe -- that I often use as a 'pioneer dress' prop. I've used it both as a throwing piece and to split kindling for the campfire; once I bound the head down with leather strapping it made a wonderful (wonderfully wicked?) multipurpose tool/weapon. Haven't added any coup items yet, maybe a feather or two, or some scores on the blade... Hmmm...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:29:57 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #416 on: October 18, 2011, 02:36:33 am »

how about those swords that Kroenen from Hellboy had?

http://www.kingego.com/shop/images/545.jpg
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #417 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:35 am »

how about those swords that Kroenen from Hellboy had?

http://www.kingego.com/shop/images/545.jpg

Now, that's interesting; it puts me in mind of that huge, supposedly 'cavalry' sword that that girl in that Pumpkin Scissors anime had. Supposedly it was designed so that the rider didn't have to swing his blade around the head of the horse and risk cutting its head off (that's what they said in the anime, at any rate) Did such weapons ever really exist in the real world? I've been wondering about that for a while...  
ortey
Swab

Austria Austria

« Reply #418 on: October 18, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »

That would be something similar to the thing you're talking about, but with the disadvantage not being able to turn it due to the second binder.
The idea basically comes from a tonfa I guess, and I suppose that there haven't been blade tonfas in past times except for some uniques, for they evolved from some farmers tool and have been used in east Japan (I think), when swords and other 'real' weapons were forbidden... ...and for it is already lethal enough, and my guess that adding blades would mark it as a weapon, they never really existed. (And if there were some similar ninja-ish weapons with blades, they'd not be really practical).

Ah; and first post by the way... hello to all of you Wink

ortey
Wolf410
Officer

« Reply #419 on: October 19, 2011, 04:24:51 am »

The switchblade was invented long before our fine victorian era...and could be used to a marvelous effect...and if carrying it is too cumbersome...or illegal in your area...try the hidden wrist blade...also invented long before the era...both have great practical applicantions...and are easily made as props...plus the hidden blade can be outfitted with a non-edged bar and have a rounded tip so as to be non-lethal but at the same time be marvelous for self defense

Only In The Air Can We Be Truly Free
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #420 on: October 23, 2011, 06:37:35 am »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I feel something should be said (with the best possible will in the world)...

I've noticed that a lot of really rather large-ish weapons  keep showing up in this thread. I would like to add that, whatever you choose, you should consider the fact that the person/character/you will have to carry the item. If at a con (or in the area I have the most experience with, that being oldtime pioneer-dress or whatever festivals), you just might/probably will be required to keep up with it all day long, maybe a large part of the night as well. Speaking from experience, a prop that you have to set down  and keep an eye on and pick up again if you move, such as a staff or a spear, (or a minstrel banjo, in my case Wink) can be a real liability.

If you carry the item or wear it in some manner, keep in mind that you'll need to learn how to move with it on your person. Swords and large daggers or huge pistols or things on a sling, or spears carried over one shoulder or at the end of an arm hanging down are a real liability in this respect. They tend to bang into literally everything, including people, who for some reason are not happy about it. Things tend to turn over or get knocked off of shelves or displays when these items are around.

Things like tomahawks, well-made small-to-medium-sized pistol replicas, most normal-sized knives and daggers and shortswords, etc. can be stuck in the waistband, in a sash, or behind a belt and be kept up with fairly easily. A strap on a rifle, shotgun, or musket or whatever sounds like a great idea, but speaking again from experience, it can be a cast-iron b*ch to put up with by the end of the day, particularly in excessively hot or otherwise inclement weather.

Same goes for the heavier props in the waistband or on the belt. Yes, I realize that according to oldtimers all over the map it was common to carry a gun that way, but try to actually do it for a day in the blazing heat or freezing cold, or even in an air-conditioned hall (or for a really fun time, try running with the prop in that position Cheesy) You'll come to realize very quickly that there're very good reasons for the invention of baldrics, gunbelts and swordbelts, not least among them the idea that one's pants, or kilt, or whatever, should stay up around one's hips, rather than keep trying to slide southward!  

The tomahawk, or at least mine, and the short dagger or medium-sized bowie* are the only exceptions I have found to this rule -- and only if the belt or sash or waistband in question is very tight-fitting, or buckled or tied tight and kept that way (it's not as easy as it sounds; once you've moved around some, pulled your wallet out and stuck it back a few times, or especially after you've used the 'facility,' things start to fall apart).

Just a few ideas to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:47:15 am by MWBailey » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #421 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:42 pm »

A solid chunk of brass, 1 inch diameter round, 2 inch long. Hold that in your fist when you punch someone in the face and they will remember..
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #422 on: October 23, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

1) A Non fire arm weapon that won't be freaked out on by anal retentiveCops.
2)  Fits into the Steam punk era

Root root root for the home team

A Louisville Slugger upside the head always gets peoples attention

And for the ladies who want to portray a more genteel, domestic side

Who needs a sword inside your cane when you have one of these?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:16:23 pm by Sgt.Whatshisname » Logged

We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #423 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »

Well the boys of Liverpool, when we safely landed,
 Called meself a fool, I could no longer stand it.
 Blood began to boil, temper I was losing;
 Poor old Erin's Isle they began abusing.
 "Hurrah me soul" says I, me Shillelagh I let fly.
 Some Galway boys were nigh and saw I was a hobble in,
 With a load "hurray !" joined in the affray.
 We quitely cleared the way for the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
 Hunt the Hare and turn her down
 the rocky road and all the way to Dublin,
 Whack follol de rah !

Sorry that last picture got a song stuck in my head. 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #424 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:19 am »

Ah, yes, the trusty shellaylay shieleghliegh shellieliele chunk of hardwood with a branch for a handle...

(I'm so embarrassed, I'm of Irish descent and I can't spell shelailagh *grumble*)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: