The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 12, 2020, 09:34:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 80907 times)
Phineas Lamar Alexander
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #350 on: June 28, 2009, 05:38:44 am »

Ju

And of course, a spring loaded ice pick.

[/spoiler]

-S

I built one of these, though mine is to put a little raygun on the end Wild Wild West style:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've refined the design since this version- the bungee now pulls constantly via  pulley rather than snapping slack as in this version.  Need to get some picks up of the final version. 

The off-hand version I'm building will have a clip on the end rather than the raygun, so I can attach whatever I like... pocket flask... business card... ninja star... 

-B
Juice box, Hogie, doodie on a stick!
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2009, 08:51:39 am »

two words..... appearing cane.....

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:34 pm »

Juice box, Hogie, doodie on a stick!

But a steampunk doodie... so I'd have to stick a cog in the end and spray paint it brass.

-B

wavewatcher
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

We do the impossible, and that makes us mighty

king_clumsy
« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:30 am »

Found this thread and thought i'd add, I am working on a Shock Maul/ Stun Baton as described in one bit of my ongoing story/sprawl.

Pics to follow... when i find my camera,  At the moment its a piece of Doweling rod, with four springs at regular intervals around one end, each suspended between to screw,

Pondering using a glowstick as a powersource (replaceable of course)

-=Sloth will be definitely be my favourite sin, some time, probably=-

-(also apparently the go to guy for steampunkiness in the Plymouth Area)-
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »

Found this thread and thought i'd add, I am working on a Shock Maul/ Stun Baton as described in one bit of my ongoing story/sprawl.

Pics to follow... when i find my camera,  At the moment its a piece of Doweling rod, with four springs at regular intervals around one end, each suspended between to screw,

Pondering using a glowstick as a powersource (replaceable of course)

How about light from a UV led flashlight shining up into a clear container of 'glow water' :
You don't have to change out the glowsticks, and the led flash can fit down the handle or shaft of a maul weapon.

-B
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:13:26 pm by Bailywolf » Logged
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #355 on: August 31, 2009, 04:01:05 pm »

i don't know if this has been said but any one who's played the assassins creed will know what i am talking about: the spring blade on his forearm. perhaps steaming that up or something...

theres always swagger sticks too.

or theres a whip or cat o nine tails.

something else but for the life of me i can't think of their name, its like 3-5 balls linked together by leather or some sort of cord, and can be thrown at peoples legs etc and it trips them   

incognito you say? how can i burn the place down incognito?
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #356 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:39 pm »

here are a couple examples of some great personal hand to hand combat items from WWI, the steameast of all wars....

keep in mind, these are the real thing, recovered from battlefields in france, they likely were used to kill anyone who dared raid the trench of whatever sod clubbin trench mouthed englishmen came up with the idea, and built them from spare parts (DIY)

God love those men. God bless the soldiers of the world.

Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2009, 07:56:06 pm »

I look at that, and all I can think about is the feeling of steel against tooth enamel...

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #358 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16:27 am »

they are a marvel right, its like they intended them to look steampunk, remember that folks, a giant cog on a stick, deadly and awesome looking...
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »

Thrift store score, The Devil's Tail. This is a mini crossbow I found for less than the cost of a pack of gum! Real wood and metal with a working trigger. Just over a foot in length. She will look nice with the rest of my Steampunk gear.

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #360 on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »

I look at that, and all I can think about is the feeling of steel against tooth enamel...

I so agree with you-  my first dentist used tools like this
Airship Addict
Deck Hand

« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »

Nice score Guyver, it looks ancient!
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2011, 08:30:54 am »

Those were used for trench raids (offense) rarely defense, as they wanted to stay quiet. In defense, pistols, rifles, grenades, etc came into play.

As someone who by trade specialized in heavy weaponry, i tend towards the long range high firepower solutions. However i've also traveled the world in places where machine guns are frowned on when not in uniform.

As I do have physical problems now from active service, while remaining fairly young I do carry a cane at times. My current one is a twisted-wood piece with a brass doorknob for a grip.

Being taught to fight with the entire range of medieval and Renaissance weaponry as well as being qualified to use a police baton professionally at one time........ 3 feet of solid wood and brass is a weapon all by itself. And handy to lean on.

The large wrench is still a favorite, as is a length of chain with a lock or nut/washer on the end. Cord with weights to make a bola works as well.
joesphanarction90
Officer

« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »

Brand new Mod-nerf tomahawk, and hand forged Throwing Hawk that i bought from a street vendor at a little road side shack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42700355@N03/5801324100/#in/photostream/lightbox/
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:44 am »

Someone earlier (2-3 pages back) mentioned Arabs with slings.

Having been on the receiving end of cobblestones  mortared at our position, anyone (notably ME) without a helmet on would have been killed by a direct hit. Politically you can think all you want but when the IDF troops fired warning shots I was not complaining as I was near their unit and the stones were quite indiscriminate.

I've known a man who hunted with one in Indonesian jungles for years, along with bows. He once made a sling out of a pair of shoelaces and the tongue of a shoe in about five minutes and killed game for dinner half an hour later.

With appropriate ammunition, a sling wrapped up in your hat or pocket and a pouch of lead shot or rocks along with a stick would make an admirable "anywhere' solution without being blatant, maybe backed up by a hammer or large flashlight.

As a police officer once told me in my days before wearing the uniform "A 4 C-cell Maglite is the same diameter and basic length as a PR-24 baton. Just saying........"
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #365 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

Brass slingshots.. shiny!
http://milbroproshotuk.com/html/products/brass.html
Madame Momerath
Snr. Officer

All is not lost! Some of it is hidden.

« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2011, 01:24:10 am »

Having made a sling from a denim purse strap when I was a teenager, I can attest to their effectiveness. I've since switched to using a leather one I made myself. And it's fairly accurate too. (I was inspired by the character Ayla in Jean M. Auel's books.)

In a slight aside, my dad has used ball bearings in his slingshot. They're much heavier than BBs and do more damage to the targets he uses for practice. Smiley

Someone earlier (2-3 pages back) mentioned Arabs with slings.

Having been on the receiving end of cobblestones  mortared at our position, anyone (notably ME) without a helmet on would have been killed by a direct hit. Politically you can think all you want but when the IDF troops fired warning shots I was not complaining as I was near their unit and the stones were quite indiscriminate.

I've known a man who hunted with one in Indonesian jungles for years, along with bows. He once made a sling out of a pair of shoelaces and the tongue of a shoe in about five minutes and killed game for dinner half an hour later.

With appropriate ammunition, a sling wrapped up in your hat or pocket and a pouch of lead shot or rocks along with a stick would make an admirable "anywhere' solution without being blatant, maybe backed up by a hammer or large flashlight.

As a police officer once told me in my days before wearing the uniform "A 4 C-cell Maglite is the same diameter and basic length as a PR-24 baton. Just saying........"

Look to the sky. You will not find answers there, but you will certainly see what everyone's screaming about.
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »

Just chiming in to say I've read every bit of this thread
and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I must have a steel notebook!

I think, as an older lady,
my best bet will be a nice walking stick.
A nice, thick, twisty walking stick
with a glass doorknob on the end.

With perhaps a few ounces of buckshot
sewn into my silk handbag.

My but blackthorn is expensive, isn't it?

I'll just browse for a nice honeysuckle-twisted hickory
or dogwood in that case.

Forget hitting anyone in the head -
one good 'stomp' on the foot
will get anyone's attention.

Never had much 'form' when I handled swords, per se -
as a youth I took Akido, Karate, etc.,
even fencing in my first round at college...
all instructors were less than impressed with my 'line'
but I could knock a baseball out of the park.

I remember getting in trouble as a kid
for turning my jump ropes into a bola
could take out another kid at half a block.

I also made monkey fists in macrame' class in high school....

Not a normal kind of little girl.

Thanks for an entertaining read!

*Relentless Optimystic *
MrBlackrose
Deck Hand

« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2011, 02:44:01 am »

Working on a project currently for a defense tool that kind of fits here.

I am a blacksmith and always have a few extra heads around so I am working on a piston hammer, both practical, and mounted on a bracer, would be very functional. And in plain sight so no concealment issues

Another variation is to set the head on a swing hinge but that will give less control.

once I get the project done, I'll have to post pics.[/u]
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:18 am »

Steampunk Atl-Atl? Steampunk Boomerang? Blowgun? A mace and chain built into a walking cane?

What do we want? Decapitations!
gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

I made a spear some months back. A wooden spear. The idea being of making something that I can wear around lincoln without getting arrested.

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles
Metal surface on a fragile skin.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:48 am »

I made a spear some months back. A wooden spear. The idea being of making something that I can wear around lincoln without getting arrested.

That spear is beautiful.

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:13 pm »

Yes, I saw it posted in another thread before. It sure is a great looking thing. It has some VERY nice lines to it. Looks pretty effecitve as well! Grin
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

At a risk of taking this thread back to non-fire arms.

I have been experimenting with safe / soft steamy weapons. Here are a few examples:

The classic cut throat razor.

And finally:
All are products of Arkwright's workshop.

TTFN

Arkwright.

Nice.  What did you make them from?

I like the razor, does it fold over ?  Always think that one of the scary things about a cut-throat i the way that it can be slowly but surly opened up with the pressure of one finger - alot more frightening and suspense filled than a flick, more "In Control" than a lock knife and more sinister and planned than a sheaf

(pictures an image of a dark foggy blind alley, a figure walks down the alley, the street lamp behind him silouetes his huge frame, cape catching the breeze and head adorned with an imposing top hat.

Slowly he walks towards you, his slow rhytmic steps taps out a beat that echoes off the walls.  He streatches out his arm and there clasped in his hand is an object slightly catching the light.

As he continues his slow and relentley pace towards you the gleam grows as gradualy the blade of a cut throat razor arcs out of it's handle catching the little light that shines into this dark forgotten hole.

Raising his arm above his head, the last few steps towards you are covered in a single lunge, sweeping his hand down in an arc as you trace the curve through the shine of the blade....)

OK, must cut down on the blue veined cheese..

I must agree. My favorite of those is the Gear Axe.

While, unfortunately I have no working models/prototypes but a few ideas I have had are..

I have a few plans in mind involving the above as well as a few other fun things from knife that scientifically emulates a "magical" dagger to a Combination Wrench Saber. When I have them fully fleshed out, I will definitely post.

-S

Unstable?  I'll have you know I collect meatcleavers... LOL
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »

Alas, I must deign to fall back upon the lady's standard:
a well swung, carefully packed handbag
that can be thrown like a sling if need be LOL!

line the bottom with steel shot
and I'm sure it could be called a blackjenny
rather than a blackjack.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: