The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 30, 2020, 08:01:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 80213 times)
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: May 27, 2009, 01:49:49 pm »

lots of people talking about electrified things. very basic one that i've been thinking about for a long time is to just take a piece of broom handle and run metal wires down the outside, preferably thick stuff. connect the wires to + and - terminals alternatly, most likely to a belt powerpack containing multiple 9v batteries.

proceed to cosh someone with it and have the added bonus of electrocuting them at the same time!

Makes me think of something really over-engineered... backpack with coils and big glowing leyden jars connected by a heavy cable to a pike, all wound with copper wire and prongs and such.  You'd have to wear big bulky gloves with it (another thing to customize).

-B

quantumcat
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #326 on: June 02, 2009, 06:52:36 am »

I think there's a way of making a taser from a disposable camera but that might come under the heading of too dangerous for real world applications without some serious skill and a decent amount of horse sense.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2009, 03:33:03 pm »

Any of y'all know how to use a sling?

They are great fun to chuck stones about with, cheap to make, waltz past typical modern security checks, and make ammo out of anything small and hefty.  I made one a while back from leather cords and scrap, took it out in the yard and learned to make reasonable use of it.

There are plenty of tutorials online for making and using them.  For our purposes here, skip all the blather online from hippies taking walks in the woods and making leasurly throws, and just watch some video footage of Palestinians.  I make the following statement as a tactical assessment, not a political comment -- if an aspiring anarchist wants a role model for the time when (heaven forbid) their Federal government goes way too far, the Palestinians will serve as a decent example of how pore people can make serious trouble for well-financed groups of men in modern riot armor.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2009, 03:36:35 pm »

Any of y'all know how to use a sling?

They are great fun to chuck stones about with, cheap to make, waltz past typical modern security checks, and make ammo out of anything small and hefty.  I made one a while back from leather cords and scrap, took it out in the yard and learned to make reasonable use of it.

There are plenty of tutorials online for making and using them.  For our purposes here, skip all the blather online from hippies taking walks in the woods and making leasurly throws, and just watch some video footage of Palestinians.  I make the following statement as a tactical assessment, not a political comment -- if an aspiring anarchist wants a role model for the time when (heaven forbid) their Federal government goes way too far, the Palestinians will serve as a decent example of how pore people can make serious trouble for well-financed groups of men in modern riot armor.

Yeah, this.  I played with slings awhile back, and braided a couple of passable ones.  Long ones can hurl a half-brick hard enough to cave in a human skull and splash the place with pureed brainmeats.

-B
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »

Ever think about putting gelatinous gasoline into baby food jars?

Nah, me neither.   Cool
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2009, 04:48:05 pm »

Nah, me neither.   Cool

You want to seriously mess up a crowd, don't mess with the flammables - a solution of lye would be really horrible. 

Alternately, a jar containing chlorine with a smaller jar containing amonia inside it. 

And if the NSA or other signals intelligence services are reading this - I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS SORT OF THING.  Just saying, for fictional purposes. 

-B
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

I'd plan on being part of the crowd, not trying to mess it up.  The pig has gas weapons of his own, no need of my wee baby food jars.  Fictionally speaking, of course.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2009, 08:54:57 pm »

Nah, me neither.   Cool

You want to seriously mess up a crowd, don't mess with the flammables - a solution of xxxxxxxxx would be really horrible. 

Alternately, a jar containing xxxxxxxxx with a smaller jar containing xxxxxxxxx inside it. 

And if the NSA or other signals intelligence services are reading this - I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS SORT OF THING.  Just saying, for fictional purposes. 

-B

Just like to say, previously In this thread I got slightly told off (and posts deleted) for mentioning a mixture (I say mentioning giving constituents, not giving proportions) with the anagram NOAF - based on the fact that it could be taken as instructional.

one of the reasons I'm not going to mention pp+g
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #333 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:54 pm »

Dude, some things people need to look up on their own.  If they needed you or I to tell 'em about it here, they didn't really need to know about it very badly.  I don't think I let any secrets slip by mentioning gasoline, but anything more ChemLab 101 than that is probably going to run afoul of the "no modern weapons" ban.

Besides, hauss,when we need them to know such things, we'll show them in the privacy of our city-sewer-come-hidden-bunker.  Until then, nothing more potent than an M-80.
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #334 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:41 pm »

Just like to say, previously In this thread I got slightly told off (and posts deleted) for mentioning a mixture (I say mentioning giving constituents, not giving proportions) with the anagram NOAF - based on the fact that it could be taken as instructional.

Weird... the mix I mentioned is actually on the warning labels on the cleaning products in question.  It was one of those things my Mom told me never to do.  Not exactly obscure knowledge.

-B
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #335 on: June 02, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »

Weird... the mix I mentioned is actually on the warning labels on the cleaning products in question.  It was one of those things my Mom told me never to do.  Not exactly obscure knowledge.

-B

pp+g helped me get a badge in scouts - showing the different ways I knew to start a fire and make tinder/firelighters
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #336 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »

You must have gotten that badge before things got interesting, I'm guessing?

(By interesting, I'm referring disparagingly to American domestic affairs re: Waco, Ruby Ridge, Oklahoman City, etc.)
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #337 on: June 02, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »

That was mid 80's, about the same time my chemistry teacher was teaching us how to make volatile chemicals out of regular household substances
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #338 on: June 02, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »

At a risk of taking this thread back to non-fire arms.

I have been experimenting with safe / soft steamy weapons. Here are a few examples:

The famous Kukri.

A gentleman's pocket knife.

The classic cut throat razor.

And finally:

The product of an itinerant street contraptor - a handaxe cut down from a machine wheel.

All are products of Arkwright's workshop.

TTFN

Arkwright.

"I devote my life to two worthy goals: unmasking Dorian the Anarchist and ensuring absolute victory over the Fish People!"
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #339 on: June 02, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »

Chemistry was so much more fun before folks got all namby-pamby about everything exciting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #340 on: June 02, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

I have been experimenting with safe / soft steamy weapons. Here are a few examples:

And finally:

TTFN

Arkwright.

Nice.  What did you make them from?

I like the razor, does it fold over ?  Always think that one of the scary things about a cut-throat i the way that it can be slowly but surly opened up with the pressure of one finger - alot more frightening and suspense filled than a flick, more "In Control" than a lock knife and more sinister and planned than a sheaf

(pictures an image of a dark foggy blind alley, a figure walks down the alley, the street lamp behind him silouetes his huge frame, cape catching the breeze and head adorned with an imposing top hat.

Slowly he walks towards you, his slow rhytmic steps taps out a beat that echoes off the walls.  He streatches out his arm and there clasped in his hand is an object slightly catching the light.

As he continues his slow and relentley pace towards you the gleam grows as gradualy the blade of a cut throat razor arcs out of it's handle catching the little light that shines into this dark forgotten hole.

Raising his arm above his head, the last few steps towards you are covered in a single lunge, sweeping his hand down in an arc as you trace the curve through the shine of the blade....)

OK, must cut down on the blue veined cheese..
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #341 on: June 02, 2009, 10:56:56 pm »

Chemistry was so much more fun before folks got all namby-pamby about everything exciting.

Oh gosh, I so want one of these, love the hype of the cover

"Atomic Energy With Safe Interesting Experiments" and "No Dangerous or Explosive Chemicals"

Mind you, Atomic energy with no explosions sort of takes the fun out of it  Grin

Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #342 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:51 pm »

Hi Danbury

All my weapons are latex over foam (like LRP weapons) but I try to make mine to a reasonable scale.

Unfortunately the cut throat doesn't fold (that comes out too weak), but a pirate acquaintance who purchased one gets round this by sliding it out of his sleeve.

TTFN

Arkwright

PS - Never turn your back on a pirate calling himself Honest John...
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:47 pm »

Hi Danbury

All my weapons are latex over foam (like LRP weapons) but I try to make mine to a reasonable scale.

Unfortunately the cut throat doesn't fold (that comes out too weak), but a pirate acquaintance who purchased one gets round this by sliding it out of his sleeve.

TTFN

Arkwright

Never been involved in LRP so unfortunately I have no idea how these are made.

Of course, if the next time you decided to create such a weapon you were to document the process and publish a how to I, and I'm certain others, would be greatful for the sharing of your knowledge
Marrock
« Reply #344 on: June 02, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »

And never trust anyone that says "Trust me".
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #345 on: June 02, 2009, 11:36:00 pm »

Never trust anyone called 'Honest John'.

Wink

Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2009, 01:24:06 am »

And finally:

TTFN

Arkwright.

I like the razor, does it fold over ?  Always think that one of the scary things about a cut-throat i the way that it can be slowly but surly opened up with the pressure of one finger - alot more frightening and suspense filled than a flick, more "In Control" than a lock knife and more sinister and planned than a sheaf

(pictures an image of a dark foggy blind alley, a figure walks down the alley, the street lamp behind him silouetes his huge frame, cape catching the breeze and head adorned with an imposing top hat.

Slowly he walks towards you, his slow rhytmic steps taps out a beat that echoes off the walls.  He streatches out his arm and there clasped in his hand is an object slightly catching the light.

As he continues his slow and relentley pace towards you the gleam grows as gradualy the blade of a cut throat razor arcs out of it's handle catching the little light that shines into this dark forgotten hole.

Raising his arm above his head, the last few steps towards you are covered in a single lunge, sweeping his hand down in an arc as you trace the curve through the shine of the blade....)

The gear weapon is most impressive!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Mr. Straenge
Gunner

I need a field, preferably magnetic, to frolic in.

« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:02 am »

And finally:

TTFN

Arkwright.

I must agree. My favorite of those is the Gear Axe.

While, unfortunately I have no working models/prototypes but a few ideas I have had are..

I have a few plans in mind involving the above as well as a few other fun things from knife that scientifically emulates a "magical" dagger to a Combination Wrench Saber. When I have them fully fleshed out, I will definitely post.

-S

Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2009, 08:14:23 am »

I think there's a way of making a taser from a disposable camera but that might come under the heading of too dangerous for real world applications without some serious skill and a decent amount of horse sense.

There is but I won't tell anyone how. (you can all zap the piss out of yourself with the dang capacitor the way I did.)

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2009, 11:27:14 am »

And of course, a spring loaded ice pick.

[/spoiler]

-S

I built one of these, though mine is to put a little raygun on the end Wild Wild West style:

I've refined the design since this version- the bungee now pulls constantly via  pulley rather than snapping slack as in this version.  Need to get some picks up of the final version. 

The off-hand version I'm building will have a clip on the end rather than the raygun, so I can attach whatever I like... pocket flask... business card... ninja star... 

-B
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: