The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 07, 2020, 09:26:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 80477 times)
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2009, 05:18:45 am »

Of course, now that I re-read it, my previous post does seem to violate the spirit of the thread, that is non firearm like weapons, which I have to presume means, no guns or things that can turn into guns.

So…

How about a hidden device that would allow a glove, say with some fine metal wiring sown within the fabric, that can be used as some sort of “stun gun” device?

The now just rambling
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »

a stun gun/throwing dagger?

those pencil style stun guns could be given more hook barbed electrodes and a handle to balance it.
an inertial power switch to turn it on.

or an electro-mechanical porcupine, with rocket assist. ooh, I've got my idea for the contest now!
Marrock
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2009, 07:16:44 pm »

Back in high school, when I was taking machine shop, I took a lead holder I had for drafting class and made a long nail shaped spike from titanium to fit inside it.

The idea of making it nail shaped was that it kept the spike from sliding all the way out when you hit the release.

I got away with it since I claimed it was a scribe I needed for marking pieces in machine shop. Wink

Sadly, over the years and several moves, it's been lost to history.
dothacker
Deck Hand

« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2009, 09:27:58 pm »

Back in high school, when I was taking machine shop, I took a lead holder I had for drafting class and made a long nail shaped spike from titanium to fit inside it.

The idea of making it nail shaped was that it kept the spike from sliding all the way out when you hit the release.

I got away with it since I claimed it was a scribe I needed for marking pieces in machine shop. Wink

Like this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know about titanium with it's terrible ability to hold an edge, but I do know tool steel does. Doesn't look near as shiny as it really is IRL though sadly... I adore the finish on tool steel stock, it's comparable to surface ground.
Marrock
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:58 pm »

Like this?

I don't know about titanium with it's terrible ability to hold an edge, but I do know tool steel does. Doesn't look near as shiny as it really is IRL though sadly... I adore the finish on tool steel stock, it's comparable to surface ground.

Something like that, but longer, and it didn't need to hold an edge, just a decent point, I figured I could nail someone to the wall with it if needs be.

And the lead holder was machined aluminum and steel, instead of plastic.
Milo Addle
Gunner

« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2009, 03:28:28 am »

These are my non Firing Steampunk Weapon I also own one Brass Knuckle, Where can I find Giant Wrenches and such?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:35:43 am by Milo Addle » Logged
dothacker
Deck Hand

« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2009, 05:18:52 pm »

Something like that, but longer, and it didn't need to hold an edge, just a decent point, I figured I could nail someone to the wall with it if needs be.

And the lead holder was machined aluminum and steel, instead of plastic.

The plastic casing doesn't really matter, the inside is aluminum. By edge, point applies as well unless you're using a large angle but then it wouldn't pierce very well either. Still, not a bad thing to have on hand. I have many interesting things made from shop tools, projects (internal and external), and random stock.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #307 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:24 pm »

These are my non Firing Steampunk Weapon I also own one Brass Knuckle, Where can I find Giant Wrenches and such?

Like these blades.

Hows about Kukri with Delia Smith

Daemon
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2009, 03:47:28 am »

I came across a personal defense device that seems just be begging to be steamed up a bit.

http://www.owndefense.com/peppergun.html

Somehow, among other ideas, I visualize a small brass placard identifying it as "Dragon's Piss" or something to that effect.

Marrock
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2009, 04:12:02 am »

I came across a personal defense device that seems just be begging to be steamed up a bit.

http://www.owndefense.com/peppergun.html

Somehow, among other ideas, I visualize a small brass placard identifying it as "Dragon's Piss" or something to that effect.

They also make 12 gauge pepper rounds that fit in flare guns.
dr490nw4rri0r
Officer
Canada Canada

Are we evolving? No. We're starting to learn again

« Reply #310 on: May 12, 2009, 12:03:30 am »

the power fist from fallout.

it's a glove that basically works with pneumatic pistons to add more punch to a...ahm...punch...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #311 on: May 25, 2009, 05:22:43 am »

Now these are just Concepts I GIMPed together after snapping a few pictures.

The weapons on the right are basically gear based Brass knuckles. In fact they all are. The middle is a staff. If it was ornate enough it could be a signifier or staff of office. Basically make it look like something fancy not a weapon. The right weapon could either be a double bladed axe but instead of a blade it uses a gear. Or the Drawing version could be a morning star design using 4 gears Instead of the open ended wrench on the head I think I would throw a closed end wrench on the end to use as a ring to hold the weapon on a belt hook.

I have other thoughts on this but thinking about making two of them myself. So wait for a WIP photo set.

Raolin Aeromancer

PS hmmm not sure if it's because I'm looking at it in the preview or if I just haven't figured out how to post a proper pic yet so here is the link if it continues to be not available.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3562000040_0ac427458c_b.jpg

Hmmm rush job and I spelled knuckles wrong. Need to pay more attention next time.

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
Mssr Delaney
Snr. Officer

To wit, gentlemen!

« Reply #312 on: May 25, 2009, 06:53:23 am »

I think that we can all take some advice from (American McGee's) Alice and take advantage of our croquet mallets in the most... self-defensive way possible! ^_Q

Yours,
Messr. Delaney

Owner, mate, cook ect. of Capt. Emptimind.
Baron von Landau
Zeppelin Captain

Retroeccentric dandy and aspiring villain

« Reply #313 on: May 25, 2009, 06:55:51 am »

Now these are just Concepts I GIMPed together after snapping a few pictures.

The weapons on the right are basically gear based Brass knuckles. In fact they all are. The middle is a staff. If it was ornate enough it could be a signifier or staff of office. Basically make it look like something fancy not a weapon. The right weapon could either be a double bladed axe but instead of a blade it uses a gear. Or the Drawing version could be a morning star design using 4 gears Instead of the open ended wrench on the head I think I would throw a closed end wrench on the end to use as a ring to hold the weapon on a belt hook.

I have other thoughts on this but thinking about making two of them myself. So wait for a WIP photo set.

Raolin Aeromancer

PS hmmm not sure if it's because I'm looking at it in the preview or if I just haven't figured out how to post a proper pic yet so here is the link if it continues to be not available.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3562000040_0ac427458c_b.jpg

Hmmm rush job and I spelled knuckles wrong. Need to pay more attention next time.

The gear staff reminds me of the weapon carried by the "Tech Priests" in Warhammer 40K (confessed former gamer here)

See what I mean:

The armored chap on the right seems to be carrying something rather similar, but with a wrench replacing the gear/blade on one side, and a bit of spear point on the end.

I'd say you're on to something here...

"Give me the luxuries of life and I will gladly do without the necessities."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »

Think I'm gonna do a sword. I had a flat, scaly piece that is perfect for a short sword. Used a rotary tool and a course sanding drum to remove the black scale. Then a Fine drum to shine it up a bit. cut a point and thought about the crossguard. Came up with this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/3563235611_42930dc3f5_b.jpg

I need to get a better selection of gears. I need two matching I think. One for each side. Will probably use wood for the handle and something strange for the pommel.

Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2009, 08:03:28 pm »

Combined Pepper spray and Cavorite solution.

The pepper spray disables your assailant long enough for the Cavorite to dry, whereupon they simply float away.

"In space no-one can hear you sneeze."

p.s. Of course, if you got them in the face, it might just rip their head off.

Cavorite solution, the ultimate test for your toupe adhesive.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:10:48 pm by Dr cornelius quack » Logged

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:13 am »

Cavorite solution, the ultimate test for your toupe adhesive.

Tried that once. Left me feeling quite light-headed.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:45 pm »

As part of my (ever expanding) steamwestern getup, I was considering a Tesla Whip.

I started noodling around with a steampunk lightsaber, but left off when I couldn't figure out what to do with it.  I then hit on the notion of attaching a coil of some sort of metal hose or conduit (flexibility being the big issue here) about like Indiana Jones's bullwhip, but all done in brass and copper wiring, with ceramic resistors between the handle and the whip part. 

I've actually cut myself playing with a bullwhip... 'electrifying' it seems like a fantastically absurd idea. 

It it ever advances beyond the "Hmmmmm... I wonder" stage, I'll certainly be posting pics.

-B

Marrock
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »

As part of my (ever expanding) steamwestern getup, I was considering a Tesla Whip.

I started noodling around with a steampunk lightsaber, but left off when I couldn't figure out what to do with it.  I then hit on the notion of attaching a coil of some sort of metal hose or conduit (flexibility being the big issue here) about like Indiana Jones's bullwhip, but all done in brass and copper wiring, with ceramic resistors between the handle and the whip part. 

I've actually cut myself playing with a bullwhip... 'electrifying' it seems like a fantastically absurd idea. 

It it ever advances beyond the "Hmmmmm... I wonder" stage, I'll certainly be posting pics.

-B

Could start with one of these and build from there.

Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »

if no one's brought them up already, are y'all familiar with a monkey's fist?

Back in the day sailors used to make them, or so I'm told.  Anyway, its basically a morning star mace/flail made of rope (gotta love non-metallic weapons in this day and age).  Here are a few links on how to tie your own:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-tie-a-monkey_s-fist/
http://www.wincingdevil.com/mf.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey%27s_fist

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Theophilus Fox
Gunner
England England

I say, you there!

« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2009, 11:17:36 pm »

If you're going down the route of rope weapons might I suggest that a length of thickish rope with a back-splice in the end is more effective than a monkey's fist? Particularly if the splice is tarred...

I remain, sir,

Your obedient servant,

Theophilus Fox
Department of Unusual Activity
south GA mad DR.
Officer

WWIII survivor/ self-made mechanic

« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:29 am »

My darling's father is a retired merchant sailor, and he has a monkey's fist with a wooden ball in the center that he made years ago. It hurts enough as is( tested it on myself; another lesson in curiosity that went awry), so if steel or stone were substituted it would be a formidable weapon indeed.

What doesn't kill you only makes you... stranger.
dr490nw4rri0r
Officer
Canada Canada

Are we evolving? No. We're starting to learn again

« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2009, 08:06:24 am »

-B

If I may present an idea, What about running a couple wires up through a cored whip? see if you can find a way to produce the occasional spark at the end, and power it with a few 9 volt batteries in an enlarged and elongated handle. if you do it right you can still whip it around properly and get a nice little crackle on the tip. Maybe a few tiny metal contact points here and there on the whip?
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2009, 10:57:49 am »

If I may present an idea, What about running a couple wires up through a cored whip? see if you can find a way to produce the occasional spark at the end, and power it with a few 9 volt batteries in an enlarged and elongated handle. if you do it right you can still whip it around properly and get a nice little crackle on the tip. Maybe a few tiny metal contact points here and there on the whip?

On this one, I'm less interested in the electrical FX, and more in the look- making the hilt look very "electricy" with coiled copper wire and ceramic resistors and such, and then the coil of the metal whip which would imply "whipiness" without actually needing to work like a whip.  LIke this stuff:

I've used this before, and with the right dressing up, it looks pretty cool.

-B
hatchleader
Snr. Officer

Put the kettle on!!

« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:41 pm »

lots of people talking about electrified things. very basic one that i've been thinking about for a long time is to just take a piece of broom handle and run metal wires down the outside, preferably thick stuff. connect the wires to + and - terminals alternatly, most likely to a belt powerpack containing multiple 9v batteries.

proceed to cosh someone with it and have the added bonus of electrocuting them at the same time!

^most likely a load of crap^

If in doubt hit it, if that doesn't work shoot it, and as a last resort blow it up!

Quote from: Bill Bailey
I'm English and as such crave disapointment
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: