The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 07, 2020, 10:56:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 80478 times)
Marrock
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »

Sap gloves are dead easy, I just took some motorcycle gloves with padding on the knuckles, opened the stitching a bit to get the padding out and replaced it with ground lead, a fresh bit of stitching and Bob's your mother's brother.

You can use fine shot but the ground stuff shapes to your hand better.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »

By the way, anyone thought about the chelsea brick?
Sammael
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2009, 10:33:06 pm »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this on previous pages, but if you could do the work to make one hand, or full sized crossbow with a steam reloading mechanism is pretty good, especially if you fit it with a wheel or feeding magazine or have multiple arms and strings on one bow. It would need lots of pistons and gears and adjusting levers, which makes it even better.
Stanch
Officer

[Hollow Point]

« Reply #278 on: March 25, 2009, 01:35:54 am »

I'm a big fan of brass knuckles.

Take four red capsules, in ten minutes, take two more. Help is on the way.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #279 on: March 25, 2009, 01:49:34 am »

Remember the film SCUM - sock, snooker balls, enuff said.

My dad was a plumber - always had some lead pipe or solder bars around the place as a kid.

I've noticed this thread seems to be bringing out the darker side of me  Wink

quite literally incendiary comment removed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:06:29 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
Stanch
Officer

[Hollow Point]

« Reply #280 on: March 25, 2009, 02:12:15 am »

So long as it doesn't use some sort of chemical propulsion system, I'm sure you're safe.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:06:48 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #281 on: March 25, 2009, 11:38:23 am »

So long as it doesn't use some sort of chemical propulsion system, I'm sure you're safe.

personally I'd say it wouldn't count so long as you weren't using it as a propellant itself, which as it is an explosive you could feasible do

Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #282 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

No - that's conspiracy to cause explosions!

Arkwright.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:08:52 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

"I devote my life to two worthy goals: unmasking Dorian the Anarchist and ensuring absolute victory over the Fish People!"
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #283 on: March 25, 2009, 08:08:37 pm »

Moderator voice: We'll have no talk of the manufacture of actual explosives here thank you, for very much the point Arkwright makes...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:26:43 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2009, 10:41:57 pm »

On a new note: how about some sort of heated tar sprayer? Or perhaps a taser-like device with one prong built into each of two gauntlets?

Lucius Voltaic

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »

Moderator voice: We'll have no talk of the manufacture of actual explosives here thank you, for very much the point Arkwright makes...

I do appologise and I wil not do so ain.
Sorry
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2009, 01:33:12 am »

Apology accepted, we'll speak no more about it!

Smiley
Glass
Snr. Officer

Creature of the night: 1700-0300.

« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2009, 04:30:48 am »

On a new note: how about some sort of heated tar sprayer? Or perhaps a taser-like device with one prong built into each of two gauntlets?

I read a SF novel once where a net could be fired from a special gun and the net was covered in barbed hooks AND was electrified.

A TASER net?

Patrick

Futhermore...
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2009, 05:23:55 am »

Don’t they have something like that now, but without the barbs and electricity?

The assuming the position
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Glass
Snr. Officer

Creature of the night: 1700-0300.

« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2009, 05:44:56 am »

Net guns have been around for ages but ELECTRIFIED net guns... I haven't seen one.

Patrick
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »

+100 cool points for the first one to draw up plans for a working tazer net.

p.s after a miss speling i got the idea for a weapon that fires an orange coulored, fruit flavored carbonated soft drink as high pressure

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:46 pm »

Here's where you can buy the pricey net gun (in the USA anyway).  Electrifying it seems fairly problematic however unless you limit the electrical contact points to a minimal number of net strands.  markf
http://mynetgun.com/

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:04 am »

taser umbrella or parasol? insulate the tip shank and add small spurs to the canopy ribs, to complete the circuit.

they make pen shaped tasers that could probably be incorporated into a handle.

or a pepperspray parasol.
dothacker
Deck Hand

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »

You asked, and I provide:

Here is a Steampunk styled flail I made. I'd say it's one of the few non-raygun steampunk weapons to exist. :rolleyes: Eitherway, I believe it could be called "Steampunk" not just because I used brass and bronze screws, because brass doesn't make something steam style...but because it is something practical that might have been made from items at hand, such as bolts, chain and because of the inventive nature of the Victorian era, machines made for shaping metal.

To elaborate on the practical nature, it could be said an inventor of the era might have made it out of spare parts, bolts, chain, an axle, or whatever. I would not say it is beyond the level of authenticity in tools used to make this, or the level of technology required to produce it in that era. However, the surface ground finish might have been a bit unpractical as that was a special operation back then...though not unachievable with sandpaper or a grinding stone. I left the finish bumpy because it would add to the authenticity and also because it does look nicer and will take wear and tear nicer.

More pictures of this item and many of my other items can be found on my forum: http://dothacker.omghax.ca/index.php?topic=437

clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »

Shocked                 BRUTAL .... *drools*

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:42 am »

or a pepperspray parasol.

how about peppermint spray parasol.

still stings when it gets into your eyes, but it does make the ruffians smell better  Grin

roytheodd
Gunner

« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2009, 12:38:10 am »

Has anyone yet mentioned a billy club?

Prof. Quagmire
Gunner

« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2009, 06:17:43 am »

I had been working on some ideas for steampunk melee weapons.  I was thinking of a quarterstaff with a cattleprod tip.  It would be like a Star Wars forcepike.  Except it would have somekind of electro-chemical power plant.  This same technology could be applied to edged weapons so that you could have an electrically charged blade.
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer

Codepunk

« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:25 pm »

Telescopic cane that may become a quarter stave.

This gave me an idea, I hope I am not too late in posting it. I have always been wary of telescopic mechanism especially where grime may invade, as will often be the case at the foot of a walking-staff. Chrome telescoping elements have little issue as chrome is very hard as well as very smooth, these two factors are needed in tandem unless a complicated seal is present, I think.

Given that difficulty I thought as an alternative, how about a pair of canes which join together to form a sort of quarterstaff? How they would join together I'm not quite sure.

My first impulse was that they would join at the handle end, which rather raises some conflict between the various uses of the implement but that conflict is of that sort which arouses the imagination to particularly ingenious solutions.

I don't suppose joining the canes by the foot would be practicable as any small amount of mud or sand could clog up the mechanism, although if this issue were overcome the resultant stave would have a rather effective protuberance at each end. Very nasty.

A third solution to the problem of joining would be to carry a third item, perhaps a sort of cylinder, of mysterious design and ambiguous purpose which would serve to join the pair of canes when desired.

If you wish to give the impression of actually needing a pair of canes to get around, then I should note that my father, when he did need such, found it useful to fix a lanyard to each cane so that he could support himself on one cane and not have to find a place to rest the other when reaching into his coat-pocket.

Dear me, my imagination seems to run wild when considering weapons and covert operation alike. I wish it would turn as readily to peaceful pursuits.

Ardent about analytical engineering.
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2009, 05:01:36 am »

One can always do a variant of the gun that Scaramanga uses in the movie “The Man With The Golden Gun”.  One takes various ordinary items that by themselves are perfectly harmless, but when combined, become a lethal projectile weapon.
I’m sure that there are many steamy items one can have on their person that can be used for this…fountain pens, card holders, cigarette cases, modified trench lighters, etc.

The into Bondage
V.I.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: