The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 30, 2020, 01:44:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Mad Scientists Ever!  (Read 3073 times)
Ambie
Officer
United States United States

You don't learn much when everything goes right.

« on: August 21, 2008, 09:38:43 pm »

They (popular mechanics) selected "Top Mad Scientists" with bio's.  Some real some fictional.  (Well, they claim these chaps are mad, ha, tha be just another word for genius!)

To quote, "The selection criteria for entry into the Hall of Fame is a simple measurement of genius and madness: Inductees were chosen based on their slippery grasp on reality, mind-blowing discoveries, and killer inventions..."

Delighted to see that Nikola Tesla was on top followed by the good Dr. Frankenstein!   Do y'all agree with their list?

Link under spoiler

List of top 5 under this spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:40:05 pm »

Absolutely, but I would add the Rani to that list somewhere.

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »

No Egon Spengler?

The things he did in the name of science...

Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »

Where's Leonardo da Vinci?  Angry

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46:51 pm »

No Egon Spengler?
"Egon, is this like that time you tried to drill a hole in your head?"
"That would of worked if you hadn't stopped me."

- Maximilian
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:40:04 pm »

I don´t see why Madame Curie is in there, what did she ever do that was mad? Did they just need a woman? Jack Parsons also deserves a mention.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:41:53 pm »

I don´t see why Madame Curie is in there, what did she ever do that was mad? Did they just need a woman? Jack Parsons also deserves a mention.

She was a woman who pursued science. At the time, that was mad.
She also irradiated herself. Cheesy Her notes and journals are still radioactive.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:02 pm »

Where is Doctor Steel? Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:42 pm »

Did you never see that Simpsons episode where Bart imagines the fate of the Curies' following their exposure to Radium

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. - Much kudos for JW Parsons mention though... have you read the biography?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:50:31 pm »

I mostly know Parsons thanks to the article on him in Fortean Times. Which also had a great picture of him.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:30 pm »

I mostly know Parsons thanks to the article on him in Fortean Times. Which also had a great picture of him.

This is the book you should track down for all manner of strangeitude about JWP

Properly mad scientist into black magic and everything... and a friend of Aleister Crowley as well as a certain chap who went on to form Scientology something completely unrelated.
Ambie
Officer

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:41 pm »

Oh I am so getting "Sex and Rockets" book mentioned by neon_suntan!  Thanks for noting it!   

Egon Spengler:  Heh, I love the hole drilling line.  As an aside; I was watching the first ghost busters a while ago with the commentary on and learnt that it was orginally designed to be set in a wild weird Old Western setting.  That would have been a hoot.   Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As fer lady scientists that qualify (besides the Doc I suppose), there not be that many and none that I would feel great about in a top spot.  One could nominate Tania Frankenstein
 possibly Elexis Sinclaire (CEO of SinTEK Industries), maybe Kimiyo Hoshi, or even Dr. Blight (from capt. planet).

Oh course this topic of differential rates between da genders has been researched:

"Why aren't more women plotting to take over the world, create weapons of mass destruction, or steal Austin Powers's mojo? A recent report by the National Academy of Sinister Sciences shows that evil male scientists outnumber evil female scientists 100 to 1 as tallied by...."   with a conclusion of, "But with more and more young evil women scientists choosing to exploit their malevolence in more lucrative careers in law, financial management, and government, progress promises to be slow."    Grin

Link to that short article

Still it was fun to see such a list appear at a normally rather mundane aether site.
Sir Newt Sixsmith
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 03:42:16 pm »

Good list.
Though I don't think Tesla was the maddest of the lot. Wink

Never underestimate the advantages of top hats.
Never underestimate the value of a good cape.
Always overestimate the hero. That goes double if he has a sidekick, triple if it is a monkey.
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 03:10:09 am »

Only problem with my screen name is replying in topics like this.  Wink

I like their choices...though if you include fictional people I don't doubt you could find far madder examples than the Curies, Simpsons episodes notwithstanding.

As far as Tesla's madness, he had some definite symptoms of what today would likely be diagnosed as OCD, possibly with bipolar.  Wasn't easy being him.  Sad Though today, he'd be given a bunch of medications and who's to say whether his work would have been as fascinating under those conditions...just a thought.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:32:14 am »

As fer lady scientists that qualify (besides the Doc I suppose), there not be that many and none that I would feel great about in a top spot.

Helen Beta Narbon.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:25 pm »

"Why aren't more women plotting to take over the world, create weapons of mass destruction, or steal Austin Powers's mojo? A recent report by the National Academy of Sinister Sciences shows that evil male scientists outnumber evil female scientists 100 to 1 as tallied by...."   with a conclusion of, "But with more and more young evil women scientists choosing to exploit their malevolence in more lucrative careers in law, financial management, and government, progress promises to be slow."    Grin

1. Because we're less likely to go around telling everyone the details of our infernal machinations. Hint: don't tell the trussed-up hero the location of the off-switch for your Destructacon-1million until after he's had his head steam-lasered off. Trust me. No good ever came from sharing your plans with anyone in you dungeon.

2. Because like Lady Macbeth, we may be, ah, "encouraging" our Significant Others into the Arch Generallisimo Father of the People Beloved Ruler role. then usurp him when he's done the hard work for us

3. Who says we're not well on the way to ruling the world already? Just using a lot more subtle, devious techniques than perhaps you would've thought of.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Random
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 03:42:36 pm »

1. Because we're less likely to go around telling everyone the details of our infernal machinations. Hint: don't tell the trussed-up hero the location of the off-switch for your Destructacon-1million until after he's had his head steam-lasered off. Trust me. No good ever came from sharing your plans with anyone in you dungeon.

Further hint: DO tell him where the big red button labelled "Main power" that will trigger a gruesome death for whoever pushes it is. Those are so fun. Make sure the area around it is secured so that he can't get into anything that's actually important, and monitor him at all times.

2. Because like Lady Macbeth, we may be, ah, "encouraging" our Significant Others into the Arch Generallisimo Father of the People Beloved Ruler role. then usurp him when he's done the hard work for us

No, no, no! Never usurp him. He's the one the assassins will come after. Instead, your job is to attach the puppet strings.

3. Who says we're not well on the way to ruling the world already? Just using a lot more subtle, devious techniques than perhaps you would've thought of.

In total agreement here. The true diabolical genius won't announce his plans for domination or try to hold the world hostage. There'll be an announcement through usual press release channels after it's happened.

Back on topic: He might not be steamy or well-known, but I have to nominate Ted Talyor. not only does he have the undeniable advantage of being non-fictional, but he's the only person who ever lit a cigarette with a nuclear weapon. That single incident has all the earmarks: Creativity, technical know-how (the bomb was primarily his baby), panache, poise, and an almost (but not quite) recklessly cavalier attitude toward weapons of mass destruction.
Ambie
Officer

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 06:54:45 pm »

Monologing!    Grin     The Doc does have a bit of weakness for it, but ah well, not a major problem as long as she does not handle security.

Further hint: DO tell him where the big red button labelled "Main power" that will trigger a gruesome death for whoever pushes it is. Those are so fun. Make sure the area around it is secured so that he can't get into anything that's actually important, and monitor him at all times.

Nice touch if yer gots the space for it. 
Dead ends are supposed to be just that.  Roll Eyes
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »

Hmmm...  I don't know.
If my wife is any indication, women would not only be more prone to "monologing" they would also ask the protagonist about thier feelings on the subject. 
*ducks* Wink
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 03:44:12 am »

Hmmm...  I don't know.
If my wife is any indication, women would not only be more prone to "monologing" they would also ask the protagonist about thier feelings on the subject. 
*ducks* Wink

True, all too true!

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: