The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2018, 07:05:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Steampunk Scene venues  (Read 11548 times)
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 07:04:26 pm »

Yeah, theres one here in Hollywood too...but I didn't hear anything about the one back home closing

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 09:06:57 pm »

Yeah, theres one here in Hollywood too...but I didn't hear anything about the one back home closing

Mr. Adams, if you're still in the Pasadena Area, there is an Old Spaghetti Factory in Monrovia near the Car Max off the 210. you can see it from the freeway, North Side.

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »

Very cool, Thank you Mr Sprocket
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 09:58:24 pm »

it does look fun I think I will have to go to that.

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 11:05:11 pm »

Do! Its not really "Steampunk" but its cool Victorian Antique.....and its delicious to boot Wink
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 11:12:33 pm »

So then shall we include the old spaghetti factory as a location for potentially having a Los Angeles meet up?
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 12:35:57 am »

Possibly...you should go first and let me know what you think...one problem is that it tends to be full of families and the like, so the atmosphere is sometimes sullied by screaming children :/
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 12:48:22 am »

Indeed.  alright so the factory of italian pasta is out of the question due to Petulant Children..

So far we have:

*One of those Tearooms? (location is friendly for under 21 folks interested in meeting up and discussing steampunkery.)
*The Edison (I have not been there yet but it certainly looks pormising)
*Union Station (lots of trains, though the motif tends to be 1930's-1940's I think.)

I leave Maladiction Society off the list only because sundays are rather difficult for me personally as I must be awake at 6am on monday unless there is a three day weekend holiday.

any other suggestions before I break off an LA meetup as it's own separate thread with a poll?
Mr Pad
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 11:38:08 am »

Here in the north of France, the "venue" is obvious -- Jules Verne's home in Amiens.

I used to live in Amiens and had the great privilege of visiting Jules Verne's house and see his sepulture.
Quite an exciting experience !
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 07:19:12 pm »

it sounds like it would be Mr. Pad.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 07:22:15 pm »

any other suggestions before I break off an LA meetup as it's own separate thread with a poll?

Let me know when and which venue and I'm there Smiley

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 07:23:01 pm »

Possibly...you should go first and let me know what you think...one problem is that it tends to be full of families and the like, so the atmosphere is sometimes sullied by screaming children :/

Correction the atmosphere is ALWAYS sullied by screaming children.....however, if your crafty, there are a few places left, holes in the wall so to speak that are not the sort of place anyone takes their kids anymore...like penny arcades etc. I am sure they are still around.

I really think Pike Place market in Seattle could be added....wish I knew Portland better.
Mr Pad
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:30 pm »

Here is the sculpture decorating his tomb :

It shows Jules Vernes coming out of his tomb, his hand stretching to the stars.
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 07:32:09 pm »

Here is the sculpture decorating his tomb :

It shows Jules Vernes coming out of his tomb, his hand stretching to the stars.

sweet sculpture Pad.do you have any photos of his house? since you mentioned it.
Mr Pad
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 07:36:19 pm »

You can find some photos here http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/sorties/evenements/jules-verne/maison-jules-verne/diaporama/1.shtml, but I didn't take photos myself, what a pity.
CarlosDeLaMaquina
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 10:12:32 pm »

there's the victorian in santa monica. they're open for events, but i have a feeling that it costs a more than just a couple shillings. same goes for the Huntington's Tea Room.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 12:44:17 am »

Huntington's tea room is 15 dollars per person per day.  There are some days they have free admission however (one of those being either today or tomorrow I believe) 

Also 100 dollars gets you a year's worth of passage.  Just a few trips would make up for that.

At any rate, sometime tonight I'll break off the LA meetup thread. just at work and don't have much time here.
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:22 am »

Portland steampunks--is anyone going to be attending the Victorian-themed Convergence 13? I'm 90% sure I'll be traveling for that and it would be marvelous to have a steampunk contingent amongst all the Vickie aristocracy.

this is in PDX?

Yes, Convergence 13 is in Portland.  And if I come up with some other PDX locations and events, I'll certainly post them up here.  I'm pretty sure that I'll be taking part in at least some of the C13 events too. 

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 04:20:11 am »

You can find some photos here http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/sorties/evenements/jules-verne/maison-jules-verne/diaporama/1.shtml, but I didn't take photos myself, what a pity.

you know...it's very cool...not as cool as Alphonse Mucha's house...but cool non the less.
I could only find photo's of his studio though... Sad

Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 04:26:26 am »

Portland steampunks--is anyone going to be attending the Victorian-themed Convergence 13? I'm 90% sure I'll be traveling for that and it would be marvelous to have a steampunk contingent amongst all the Vickie aristocracy.

this is in PDX?

Yes, Convergence 13 is in Portland.  And if I come up with some other PDX locations and events, I'll certainly post them up here.  I'm pretty sure that I'll be taking part in at least some of the C13 events too. 

I didn't know about it until Exo mentioned it, but it sounds fun to me.
ALSO, the Oregon Museum of Science and industry is showing body worlds 3...which could be VERY cool and they have steam engines and Tesla coils from what I understand. We could definitely have our own convergence on that, then hit the industrial cafe, or The Horse Brass in NE which is an authentic English pub, were one can smoke a cigar in peace!
exoskeletoncabaret
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2007, 02:19:38 pm »

ALSO, the Oregon Museum of Science and industry is showing body worlds 3...which could be VERY cool and they have steam engines and Tesla coils from what I understand. We could definitely have our own convergence on that, then hit the industrial cafe, or The Horse Brass in NE which is an authentic English pub, were one can smoke a cigar in peace!

I'd be game for sneaking out to play with Tesla when I visit Portland in May.

Anyone remotely close to Bloomington, Indiana? *sigh*
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 03:48:03 pm »

you know...it's very cool...not as cool as Alphonse Mucha's house...but cool non the less.
I could only find photo's of his studio though... Sad

Are you kidding?!
As a painter, I think you have just shown me a slice of heaven!

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2007, 03:56:51 pm »

it looks a lot like my mom's house.
bitkari
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »

In a similar vein, the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry is rather excellent for all sorts of Industrial Revolution tech like this:

It's an interesting visit, free entry and very much like the one in Oregon has authentic English pubs nearby!  Wink
Dimentox
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2007, 05:29:41 pm »

anyone in houston
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: