The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 07, 2019, 11:11:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food! Food! Food! The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Tasty steampunk treats and drinks  (Read 104712 times)
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2018, 11:03:56 am »

Tongue  But no. I will not buy a Bismark / Berliner with a plastic syringe.
Perhaps I should have said they were unused syringes!  Wink
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2018, 08:09:54 pm »

Kinda reminds me of that cartoon of the Cookie Monster shown as a cookie dough junkie.

Family Guy - Cookie Monster
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:11:31 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #577 on: November 06, 2018, 10:54:03 pm »

Crema de Aguacate con Pollo en Achiote y Jalapenos
Mexican style Cream of Avocado with Annato Seed Chicken, and Jalapeno peppers

This is a soup that comes as a derivative of cooking another dish, so in reality these are two recipes in one.

A) Chicken Leg Quarters in Achiote paste: Provides for 5 servings of chicken, but if you use the chicken for soup in the next recipe, then 3 pieces servings will be for 6 servings of soup & two leg quarters will be extra, stand alone chicken dishes (use for chicken sandwiches or tacos?).

-5 chicken leg quarters (thigh+ drumstick)

-Achiote Paste (Mexico) /a/k/a Recado Rojo (Central/South America) /a/k/a Annato Seed Paste. Difficult to get ready made in English speaking countries, unless you have a specialty ethnic market, but can be made quite easily from Annato seeds or ground seeds. Annato is what is used to colour and flavour cheeses such as Cheddar, Gouda, etc. It colours everything it touches shades of red and orange, and is a popular natural food colour. See: https://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/annatto-paste-recipe

Marinate chicken in Achiote paste overnight in a refrigerator, and then in a large capaity pot boil the 5 leg quarters (skin, biones and fat all left intact) in water for 45 minutes. Save the water as that is a very high quality chicken stock and it's needed for the next dish below.

B) Cream of Avocado with Annato Seed Chicken, and Jalapeno peppers - 6 servings

This recipe will yield 6 servings of soup - scale as necessary. Basically every two servings (one serving for a very hungry person) will consume one well ripened avocado, one chicken quarter, one cup of chicken stock and half cup of milk. The ratio of chicken stock to milk is 2 to 1:

- Hand-pulled meat from 3 BOILED chicken quarters, de-boned and de-skinnned, and marinated in Achiote (Annato) paste from recipe above

- 3 cups of Chicken stock with Achiote (Annato) saved from recipe above. If desiored, it's easier to remove excess fat from stock if refriogerated overnight.

- 1.5 cups of whole milk or cream (depending on taste - I prefer milk - avocado is very fatty as it is, but milk fat is indispensible to achieve emulsification of chicken avocado oils)

- 3 well-ripened small size avocadoes, if you have access to large avocadoes ypu may need less. These will be mashed to make the cream itself.

- 1.5 small avocadoes (don't need to be so ripe) used as garnish for the soup, and cut in wedges

- 3 (optional) small Jalapeno peppers - 1/2 for each serving. Substitute for a strong herb to taste, like parsley, if you don't like heat, but I very much recommend keeping it, because Jalapeno unlike other peppers, has a LOT of herbal flavour which compliments the chicken and avocado and cuts through the heaviness of of the chicken stock and milk. Plus the pepper heat firmly establishes the dish's Mexican character.

Wash Jalapeno peppers thoroughly and roughly chop. Make sure your chicken meat is all pulled/shredded and de-bones and de-skinned and set aside. Wash and slice avocadoes, You want well ripened avocadoes to be pureed for the cream, and firmer ones for the garnish which will be sliced in wedges.

Place ripened avocado, milk and chicken stock in a pot and use a potato masher to mash while bringing mixture to a boil. Bring to a boil and Boil for two minutes while you mash the avocadoes. The avocado fat should completely emulsify with the chicken stock - and the milk is the reason you can do that. Drop the heat to a slow rolling boil and drop the diced Jalapeno pepper in. Continue mashing the avocados as necessary and during a low temp boil for 2 minutes. On the 4th minute drop the pulled chicken in and simmmer though 5th-6th minute. Remove the pot from the heat. Serve hot and garnish with avocado wedges and parsley.

This soup is AWESOME  the next day. Even cold in a cup at the office it's good. It can also be served cold, like Spanish Gazpacho soup.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:59:42 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #578 on: July 22, 2019, 07:40:03 am »

What's for dinner tonight. A variation on a dish I used to make about 10 years ago. I can't get my hands on McKormick spinach dip mix anymore, so I got real spinach to make the following :

Ground beef and Turkey Patties with Spinach and Caramelized Red Onions.

The original dish called for all turkey meat and dry spinach, but I changed it to boiled spinach and a 50-50 mix of ground beef (85 percent lean) and ground turkey (80 percent lean), two pounds total meat and 1 egg to help the binding process. Mixed into the meat are one onion, diced and sautéed in olive oil (1 lb, which sounds like lot but isn't) and previously boiled spinach. The onions need to be sautéed in olive oil to the point of caramelisation before mixing with the boiled and drained spinach (draining is mandatory otherwise the spinach will turn the dish bitter).

The spinach will impart a deep green colour to the natural sauce that forms in the pan, which you will use to baste the meat as it cooks. The hero of the dish are the sweet onions which impart a caramel flavour (and colour) allowing the meat to caramelise even if submerged in the juices of the meat (its the action of the beef fat and sugar from the onion!) and whose sweetness is tempered by the bitterness and earthy undertones of the spinach. This is a very rich dish, but goes very well with herb and butter spaghetti.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #579 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »

replying so i can keep an eye on this thread

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #580 on: August 15, 2019, 04:45:02 am »

replying so i can keep an eye on this thread

I'm going to have to make those hamburger steaks you see above soon. Like tomorrow soon.

You see, I discovered it was very practical to just place a steak in between two slices of bread and take that as lunch before work. Sadly for the following week, I thought of buying frozen patties in the supermarket. Not the best, but something that looked relatively good and pricey.  The brand which I will not mention has a cute cowboy hat in the box. The label read it was the finest from a brand based in the State of Nebraska.

I found out that in the State of Nebraska they don't have a clue what a hamburger tastes like (Sorry Nebraskans, nothing personal, but your haburgers suck). The problem it's that it's a hamburger steak with a sausage complex, which leads to a hamburger sandwich that tastes like New York style Beef Frank Hot Dog. Nothing against beef franks, or New York, I happen to like both, but when I bite a hamburger I don't expect to taste a hot dog.  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #581 on: October 07, 2019, 07:06:54 am »

Today I bring a recipe inspired by Rovingjack's Arts and Crafts thread. It is a cross between Mexican Stuffed Pepper (Chile Relleno and a Croissant.

The idea came when Rovingjack made a stuffed pepper dish in this thread:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47768.msg999795.html#msg999795

I wondered if I could make a variation, because the Mexican version is a complicated affair that calls for roasting the pepper and peeling it, making a sweet minced pork filling, often with bits of fruit like raisin and nuts, and then the meat is used as stuffing with cheese, before taking the whole pepper, dipping it in batter and deep frying. To make things more complicated, the deep fried peppers are then covered in sauce and inexplicably baked like a Lasagna. Why, I don't know. The last step makes the batter soggy, but that is the tradition.

So I realized that I could use minced meat from the dish I show above in this page. Just take my onion Spinach turkey loaf and use it as stuffing. The meat is already sweet because of the onion. Next I though I could substitute the batter and deep frying by simply using puff pastry. The kind you buy pre rolled at the supermarket. That saves me one horrible step, and is traditional because Croissants were a French import to Mexico in the 19th century.

So we start with one of these.

Making sure one of these doesn't get to it first

Roast on the burner, peel and split the poblano pepper. Stuff it with a cheese The original Mexican Chile Relleno would be stuffed with something like Oaxaca or Asadero Cheeses, roughly the same as Provolone or Mozarella.

Break apart the meat which must be previously cooked and basically lay it like a sandwich between the two slices of cheese.

de

Get pre rolled puff pastry dough and carefully place the stuffed Poblano on it. I'm using croissant roll dough, which is a bit sweeter and fluffier than real puff pastry made from scratch.

Cover it top and bottom. For the season I made it to look a bit like a coffin. Crimp the edges. I basically used the whole Pillsbury brand container (yields enough for 6 small croissants).

Bake for 15 minutes in 400 F preheated oven Again, this is NOT safe if you haven't roasted the pepper first and thoroughly cooked the filling beforehand, because the inside will not get hot enough to cook the meat.

There you have Croissant Relleno. The dough was difficult to bake in a toaster oven. The pastry tends to burn if it's too close to the heating elements. You need a large oven for better results. But the resulting pastry is extremely light and crispy.  The dough is obviously very buttery. But the lightness is impressive in this dish. You would expect it to be so heavy.

The cheese doesn't overwhelm the filling, and the puff pastry only contributes a  butter flavor. The onion in the meat and the Poblano which is a hot pepper about 1/2 to 1/5 as spicy as a Jalapeño doesn't carry the tongue burning power that I normally associate with Poblano peppers. Note that Bell Pepper (Capsicum for those of you in the antipodes) carries zero heat in the Scoville scale, so it may be used as a substitute, but I prefer the spicy Poblanos which when smoke carry intense fruity notes besides the heat.

It's an absolute explosion of flavor. The pepper introduces these fruity herbal notes and a juicyness as well. The pastry might need to be trimmed a bit before baking, but it worked beautifully. Now it needs a sauce. Traditionally this would be a tomato based sauce. And due to the heightened Frenchness of the dish (onion, olive oil, butter, puff pastry) I'm inclined to say the sauce should be something like a tomato Bisque. Perhaps a spicy version of a tomato Bisque, as the pepper is not all that hot (depends on how you roasted the pepper and gutted the seeds inside).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:49:40 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #582 on: October 07, 2019, 01:40:13 pm »

Mm
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #583 on: October 07, 2019, 09:34:45 pm »

You take food from a slow cooker?

First I make ham from a piece of pork. Spices depend on my mood. But it's just a piece of rope and a push of a button.

And further more interesting. After the pork in the bowl multivarki remains the juice and fat.

I take a measure of the peas, soak them while I'm at work.

I pass onions and carrots.

I take a pre-left piece of pork and cut into small pieces.

I put everything in a slow cooker. Peas, pork, carrots/onions. And put on cooking.

It turns out a real man's food.  Hearty, fatty, spicy pea porridge.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #584 on: October 07, 2019, 11:01:10 pm »

You take food from a slow cooker?

First I make ham from a piece of pork. Spices depend on my mood. But it's just a piece of rope and a push of a button.

And further more interesting. After the pork in the bowl multivarki remains the juice and fat.

I take a measure of the peas, soak them while I'm at work.

I pass onions and carrots.

I take a pre-left piece of pork and cut into small pieces.

I put everything in a slow cooker. Peas, pork, carrots/onions. And put on cooking.

It turns out a real man's food.  Hearty, fatty, spicy pea porridge.

Most definitely, we accept pork stews. There's a long tradition of pork and peas stews in Colonial Era United States (1700s). I have previously posted some videos from this YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #585 on: October 08, 2019, 09:08:27 am »

Just made the turkey roll for Christmas... I was tired, so I came in here and all I see is more food! (I don't mind really.)

That poor dog looks as if it's STARVING. It's very talented. It never ceases to amaze me how our two cocker spaniels can make gooey, starving expressions the moment I go into the kitchen - even if they were fed 5 minutes before. Of course I am waay to mean to indulge a couple of lazy good-for-nothing dogs.  Roll Eyes

The turkey roll weighed 8 kilos when finished, so no wonder I got tired. I reckon I lifted the bleedin' thing at least 20 times moving it around taking the bones and sinews out and making the meat filling then sewing it up and rolling it in paper, aluminium foil and plastic wrap. We have about 25 family members come for Christmas so we do the whole over-the-top Christmas thing and mighty is the planning. We even have spreadsheets! In the northern hemisphere you have Halloween and Thanksgiving, so I guess by the time Christmas comes around you are all cooked-out. Down here Christmas is the end of the school year and the beginning of the long summer holidays, so it is a big deal (at least for us). We start the day with mango slices in champagne, so everything has to be ready before hand otherwise we will end 'doing an Aunty Pat' (she would invite people over for dinner, then start drinking sherry and the guests would end up cooking the meal). Aunty Pat was a smart old lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #586 on: October 08, 2019, 10:43:44 am »

Just made the turkey roll for Christmas... I was tired, so I came in here and all I see is more food! (I don't mind really.)

That poor dog looks as if it's STARVING. It's very talented. It never ceases to amaze me how our two cocker spaniels can make gooey, starving expressions the moment I go into the kitchen - even if they were fed 5 minutes before. Of course I am waay to mean to indulge a couple of lazy good-for-nothing dogs.  Roll Eyes

The turkey roll weighed 8 kilos when finished, so no wonder I got tired. I reckon I lifted the bleedin' thing at least 20 times moving it around taking the bones and sinews out and making the meat filling then sewing it up and rolling it in paper, aluminium foil and plastic wrap. We have about 25 family members come for Christmas so we do the whole over-the-top Christmas thing and mighty is the planning. We even have spreadsheets! In the northern hemisphere you have Halloween and Thanksgiving, so I guess by the time Christmas comes around you are all cooked-out. Down here Christmas is the end of the school year and the beginning of the long summer holidays, so it is a big deal (at least for us). We start the day with mango slices in champagne, so everything has to be ready before hand otherwise we will end 'doing an Aunty Pat' (she would invite people over for dinner, then start drinking sherry and the guests would end up cooking the meal). Aunty Pat was a smart old lady...

I know, right? Forget an Oscar nomination for Joaquin Phoenix. He's got nothing over my roommate's dog. I think he even sucks his stomach and face on purpose.

I'd never heard of the Christmas shift in the calendar. Makes sense though with the seasons being inverted. I though I was the only one who used spreadsheets for holiday recipes. Though it's very convenient when scaling up or down a recipe. About 19 years ago, I used to cook Christmas Dinner for 10-12 people.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: