The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 12:19:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Steampunk a lifestyle for you?
Yes
No
Parts of it
Kind of
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Very Sad Day Indeed.  (Read 12480 times)
professortucker
Gunner
United States United States

« on: July 23, 2008, 02:19:56 pm »

Dearest People of the Brass Goggles Forums,

I know many of you, if not most of you, have read the recent horrid article posted on the Design Observer calling Steampunks a mashing of pointless tinkerers and time wasters. If you haven't I urge you to read it here (http://www.designobserver.com/archives/entry.html?id=38776). It seems that our recent foray into the realm of mainstream has gained us some enemies who, like sheep, find anything different to be utterly pointless and threatening to their pristine 9-5, go to a peta protest, and tuck Johnny into bed lifestyle. It deeply saddened me that anyone could have found our peaceful movement of honor, gentlemanly and lady-like attitudes, and our spiffy dress to be so horrible, so threatening, so distasteful.

Does anyone else feel as I do? Or am I the only one here who lives a Steampunk lifestyle?

Sincerely yours,
Professor (SFC) Delphinius "J.C." Tucker

P.S. Yes, I really live my life as a steampunk gentleman, and I've found it improves myself greatly. I don't find those who don't think Steampunk is a lifestyle for them to be wrong, I just hope they can accept that it is for some of us.

Professor (SFC) Tucker of Her Majesty's Royal Airship Corps.
tsjaikdus
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:54:14 pm »

Something has meaning in the heads of other people only. Nothing has absolute meaning. Therefore you can not say something is pointless or a waste of time. As long as at least somebody thinks it has meaning, it has. For as far as we know, in the Universe there's nothing more than just that.

But it is still possible to make sour comments. From my point of view I find design pointless. At the moment 'green' is a design hype. But what they are really doing is create only more junk that nobody needs and that has still to be disposed of. And I'm a designer myself. So I know. And I feel sad.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:01:10 pm by tsjaikdus » Logged
femonky
Officer

Les hommes de science! Les hommes de l'espoir!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:57 pm »

If I could get away with living as a Gentleman in finery, I think I would. Who doesn't like to look spiffy?
And, from my perspective (which is a Zen Buddhist one) if you find a way of life beneficial and not harming to others, then there is no other way to live for you.
That my main problem with anyone who speaks ill of others. More o0ften than not, nothing has been done to truly harm anyone so why speak badly?

honourably,
Brig. Collins

Brig. Daedalus Collins
North Columbian Expeditionary Force
103rd Div. Royal Aerines
Zastrozzi
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »

I really wouldn't let it get to you.  If people get steampunk and want to take part, great.  If they don't, also fine.  If they are so worked up by it that they feel the need to post rambling articles on websites criticising it, also fine.  Their buck, their time.  I thought the article was funny.  The amount of ways he's missed the point is dizzying, but there you go;  he's got to pay the rent somehow.
GentlemanCaller
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:07:26 pm »

It's not really that bad an article - it's hardly an attack on Steam Punk culture, it's someone who obviously doesn't like the design style - and ONLY the aesthetic and design aspects of Steam Punk - saying "Why are people making such a big fuss of this?"

As in everything, there is good contraptioneering and poor imitations. This article is holding up that the poor examples of Steam Punk design are a reason why the movement should not be getting the adulation from press it currently is. It's opinionated, but it's not really any more threatening than "I don't like this and I don't see why anyone should because it's not doing what people say it is, and if I was doing it, it would have X, Y and Z..."

The whole 'Wood veneers and some brass doesn't make Steam Punk, not when you're going on about Jules Verne and stuff' thing - some of us like just wood veneers and some brass.

I think the author actually has a desire to do something himself but more in fitting with 'his' idea of Steam Punk, but doesn't have the time or the talent - at least, that's the subtext I'm reading off this, since he suggests so many things it 'should be more like'.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:27:20 pm »

I read it and have to say that it came across to me as the worst form of pseudo-intellectual rubbish.  Perhaps designers do talk like that as a form of professional jargon (after all we wouldn't want any amateur designers to be able to do what WE do) but that still betrays the kind of elitism that came across.

I suspect that the author has never tried to trace a printed circuit board (PCB) to work out the function as a lot of modern PCBs are multi-layer, sure there is the surface layer, but there are conductive layers below the surface too... several of them.  Whereas a steam engine is usually more straighforward.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
hexidecima
Officer

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:54 pm »

methinks the author of such rubbish is jealous.  Nothing like trying to tear down something to make that type feel "better" about themselves. 
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »

The actual article was kind of off, but read some of the comments below it.
Kπ Brjæn ℑnscore
Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:40:32 pm »

It seems to me that the author of that "article" is simply trying too hard (to not try too hard). Simply rewriting what's been written over again by all the other mainstream mediæ, trying to spin it to look original and perhaps defend his hard-earned title of designer (can't let those meddling steampunk kids go mainstream and hijack his industry). Humbug, hogwash and haberdashery is all as I see it.

ℜegards,
~Kπ Brjæn ℑnscore
Prof. Edward Penrose
Officer
Chile Chile

Mobilis In Mobile

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:17 pm »

"Ladran, Sancho. Señal que cabalgamos"
(They're barking, Sancho. It's the proof we are riding)

- Popular proverb, inspired in Don Quixote.

randomjedi_1138
Zeppelin Captain

A fine young gentleman........

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:53:14 pm »

Ladies and gentleman, given the amount of media attention 'Steampunk' has been given recently this was going to happen eventually. However, fear not the backlash, as this is simply the opinion of a singular person.

Said person doesn't appreciate the steampunk style aesthetic, and finds it contrived and false. That's fine, it's his opinion after all and he's welcome to have it.

The fact that he dresses this opinion with mis-informed 'fact' and florid language to make his argument sound intellectual doesn't make it any more truthful, it's still simply an opinion.

Personally, I find the best method to deal with nay-sayers such as this is short shrift followed a damn good ignoring  Grin

"Why Ambassador, with these lime and orange tic-tacs you are really spoiling us!"
Baron Redmond Asmodeus Maycock - Ship's Ambassadoer, HMAS Discombobulus
Freelance Investigator of the Eldritch, Otherworldly and Unusual / *Purveyor of fine Teas*
IvanDrugostrov
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Have gun, will travel

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:29 pm »

I really don't want to read this in full. Especially not the comments.
Makes me sad.
Like with everything else, "if you don't like it, don't do it, just don't be a bitch about it".
If someone wants to glue something to something else, that's their prerogative.
And some of these examples are actual craftsmen, not guys with glue.
Sad.

Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com
renee_mcroy
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 05:29:38 pm »

seriously, who cares what other people think??? there will always be haters. be who you are, do what you love.
Journeyman
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »

Grar. It's pretty rare that I comment on the blogs of persons unknown to me.  But now I have.  And...went on for quite a bit.... Oh well.
Samuel Crowe
Zeppelin Captain

Order of the Watch and Rose

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:29 pm »

Here is a link to a blog that discusses Randy Nakamura's one publication. It provides an insight into where he is coming from. The man has my pity, I'm glad I don't live in his world  Grin

http://sdzilles.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/looking-closer-5-nakamura/

Samuel Crowe

Adventurer of Science, Explorer of the Arcane.
Zastrozzi
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:23 pm »

*Monocle*

Quote:  Nakamura believes form will always take precedent over content. “Design has never ended or ‘solved’ war, poverty, or violence….The design artifacts you leave behind will be your ultimate legacy.”

Agreed about glad I don't live in his world.  Quotes like that make me unsure as to whether to laugh or cry.
Journeyman
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »

Hmm.  Indeed. Sounds like the guy would almost fit in here, if he could turn around and enjoy the ride.  Taking the complex and making completely simple...it's like he thinks designers should work at our level but never appreciate it.  Jeepers.

This article, by the bye, is now the 4th Google result for "randy nakamura."  Looks like he hasn't been this popular in a while.
Seaton Begg
Snr. Officer

Anarcho-Dadaist

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:05 pm »

What exactly is the big deal about this article? It is just more data floating around the aether, and as the mighty tome of the Discordian's states so eloquently...

All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- Sri Syadasti (Principia Discordia)

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 06:32:57 pm »

I was wondering when that article would be discussed here...
I read it...
It said what I expected it would say...
The comments were predictable...
He may have a point but...
So what... Huh

Now excuse me while I go and do some humbug tinkering...

Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 06:36:46 pm »

Well, I don't know about you, but the term humbug in design to me is representative of a item of striped confectionary. Which is a nice design in itself.

So, if steampunk is humbug, I'll digest it.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Mr Bellows
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 06:47:06 pm »

The "man"(??) is clearly an idiot. Foreigner too judging by his name eh, "Randy Nakamura" hmm sounds like a bit part in a "what the butler saw" cinematograph or a filthy beggar type in a penny dreadful publication.
Pay him & his pointless blather no heed, consign his memory to the dross heap of obscurity & trouble the good Fellows & Ladies of this forum no more with his pathetic outbursts....

In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »

Well, I've read the article twice- still not sure what he's getting at; 'some people really like Steampunk, but it can't be taken seriously'- is that what he's trying to get across? Or is it that he's got an agenda that Steampunk doesn't fit into?

It's a lovely day, he should be out in the sun.

Oh, while I'm here, anybody got a spare humbug, I'm feeling in need of some minty goodness!

Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:38 pm »

I read it and have to say that it came across to me as the worst form of pseudo-intellectual rubbish.  Perhaps designers do talk like that as a form of professional jargon (after all we wouldn't want any amateur designers to be able to do what WE do) but that still betrays the kind of elitism that came across.

I suspect that the author has never tried to trace a printed circuit board (PCB) to work out the function as a lot of modern PCBs are multi-layer, sure there is the surface layer, but there are conductive layers below the surface too... several of them.  Whereas a steam engine is usually more straighforward.

Z.

Indeed!  I posted a short, stiffly polite (even edging on slightly curt) comment on that... I'm a certified electronics technician with over 8 years of experience (not counting the additional 8 years tinkering with electronics as a hobby), and even I have trouble reverse-engineering most modern circuits (especially since I have to pause every 5 minutes to look up some IC/mosfet/transistor/triac's datasheet online so I can tell which pin does what).

I suggested that he might want to actually take the time to learn a few things about basic electricity, electronics, mechanics, wood and metal working before criticising those who do.

Herr Döktor:  Sorry, but I just happened to eat my last humbug 20 minutes ago (I've got some kind of stomach bug, and peppermint is great for settling ones stomach).... Sad

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:06 pm »

*shrug* it's an editorial

not everyone is a steampunk, some people for example, are whiners who must complain about things they dont' like.   Wink

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Ainsly Wordsworth
Officer

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »

He sounds like a humbugger who's hobby is write pompous nonsense and hot air about other people's hobbies.  Nor is he a very good writer, I couldn't keep my attention on the article when all he did was spew empty large words and self-righteous phrases.

This is not at all a sad day, unless we let ourselves suffer injury from a man none of us knows, nor care about, who has nothing but hot air to say about what we enjoy.

Oooh!  Since he's so full of hot air, why don't we invite him over and let him fill up our dirigibles?

No relation to the poet.  Really.  Though I do like his work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: