The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:45:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help a new rpg guy  (Read 1342 times)
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:05:54 am »

Okay so Im doing the Steam london thing And Im lovin that so what other kinds of steampun rpgs are there and do most of them Need multiple people cause ive only got my younger brother and sister who are into steampunk

are there some easy to start with ones that require minimum preporation or do you have to buy the rule books for all of them and find a dozen people to play with you or are therer more like steam london were you right the story as you go in accord with other people?
so i need help i think

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:07:46 am »

Good morning, T. Taylor!

I'm sorry to say that "Steam London" has passed me by.  I can't find out anything about it.

You ask, "What other kind of Steampunk RPGs are there?".  Well, there are a great many RPGs that fit into the "steampunk" bracket, and you can find a list of them here:
http://www.victorianadventureenthusiast.com/guide.htm

The most well-known is probably "Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura"
You may well have to splash out on a rule book once you've found the game you like.

Alternatively, if you speak french, you can make a go of FREE RPG Uchronia.
http://uchronia.free.fr/

You generally will need at least two players for roleplaying games (otherwise they tend just to be 'make your own adventure' books).

Alternatively, you can do what we did and make your own.  It's all about the imagination!

That's all quite vague advice, but I'm prepared to offer more!
-Herr Dokter, esq.
(of the Clockwork Opera)
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:02 am »

Good morning, T. Taylor!

I'm sorry to say that "Steam London" has passed me by.  I can't find out anything about it.

You ask, "What other kind of Steampunk RPGs are there?".  Well, there are a great many RPGs that fit into the "steampunk" bracket, and you can find a list of them here:
http://www.victorianadventureenthusiast.com/guide.htm

The most well-known is probably "Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura"
You may well have to splash out on a rule book once you've found the game you like.

Alternatively, if you speak french, you can make a go of FREE RPG Uchronia.
http://uchronia.free.fr/

You generally will need at least two players for roleplaying games (otherwise they tend just to be 'make your own adventure' books).

Alternatively, you can do what we did and make your own.  It's all about the imagination!

That's all quite vague advice, but I'm prepared to offer more!
-Herr Dokter, esq.
(of the Clockwork Opera)

It's in Portrayal, pinned at the top of the page.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:23:21 am »

Wow!
theMadTinker
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:18:46 pm »

Once you've gotten a bunch of experience playing various rolplaying systems, I would suggest the Serenity roleplaying system (yes, the one based off of the movie Serenity and the show Firefly), which has been adapted quite well for a steampunk setting within my roleplaying group.  Again, you need to get a feel for that system and for the way things work in general before going aboutadapting things willy-nilly, but it's somewhere to go.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
Mr Bellows
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:01:32 pm »

What about "Space 1889" ?, I'm sure there are copies of the rules out there.

In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: