The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:04:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blasted Swivel Hinge!  (Read 3717 times)
hannas_kiwi
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:10:59 am »

Would any ladies or gents out there know where one could procure a small swivel-hinge?  I require one for a project I am embarking upon.  Such an item can rotate at least 180 degrees in the X-Y plane, 90 in the Y-Z plane, and not at all in the X-Z plane.  The best example I can think of is of those laptops where the display not only opens and closes, but also may turn completely around.  Of course, metal is preferred...

I've begun to think that a ball-and-socket joint with at least 180 degrees of rotation and 90 degrees of articulation is the way to go.  Not that I've been able to find that, either...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:14:59 am by hannas_kiwi » Logged
Mad Salvager
Officer
United States United States

If it's not Heavy, we don't Want it

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:31:58 am »

Perhaps this may be a place to start:

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=45

They are a modern company providing carpentery supplies, perchance there is something there that you could mod a bit to suit your needs.

There is also this lovely gent who has his head in the right place when it comes to all things hardware:

http://www.eddonaldson.com/

Good luck on your merry search!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:29 am »

Perhaps it is an annoyingly-modern material, that needs to be hidden away, but the internal connectors of a Rubik's Cube might serve as a starting point ?

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:17:35 am »

I thought you were swearing at the Swivel Hinge..."It won't do what I want...Blasted Swivel Hinge!!"

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 11:59:30 am »

How about a small camera tripod...would that work? I have a tiny tripod that came with one of those X-10 cameras that I use for tabletop photography sometimes that has a ball joint with a thumbscrew to secure it.
If that wouldnt work and you need something with more solid directional limitations, I was also thinking that your description reminded me of the action of my full-sized tripod.

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:33:01 am »

How large are you looking for?  There is a great range of sizes of balljoints available in the automotive world.  Big ones, such as suspension, medium, like steering, and small, hood/hatch dampers for example.

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:37:27 pm »

How large are you looking for?  There is a great range of sizes of balljoints available in the automotive world.  Big ones, such as suspension, medium, like steering, and small, hood/hatch dampers for example.

Small, something on the order of ~1 inch / 2.5 cm diameter.  I found this manufacturer: http://www.tmcmagnetics.com/ball_joint_assembly.html

Most ball joints I have found will not work for my project (automaton elbow).  I need at 150 degrees of rotation and 140 degrees of actuation. (yes, my requirements are subject to change without notice)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:40:55 pm by hannas_kiwi » Logged
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 06:23:34 pm »

from that site it looks fairly easy to make yourself, magnet and ball bearing, and  a hard drill bit!... interesting of my automata too thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: