The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:08:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 122236 times)
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #475 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:00 pm »

also Walt Disney's Swiss family robinson
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand
United States United States

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but Howl's Moving Castle has some wonderful steampunk elements especially the flying machines and the castle itself. So does Castle in the Sky.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
macvurrich
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »

Don't think anyone has mentioned this (well at least the Search function didn't show it )
Web only video
Riese - Kingdom Falling

http://www.syfy.co.uk/shows/riese
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #478 on: February 21, 2012, 04:29:32 am »

By the way, can I just say how pissed off I was at the ending of "Brotherhood of the Wolf"? I adored the movie right up until his best friend gets mortally wounded and he forgets to use the magic bracelet on him. Then when his girlfriend has the same thing happen to her, he conveniently remembers. Bloody stupid plot devices. I would have much rather she kicked the bucket and the two friends go off into the distance fighting evil and, would have been nice, a sequel.
I thought I was the only one mad about that!  I loved the cinematograph of that movie.  So very few people have seen it, shame - it isn't more popular.
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2012, 04:12:56 am »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but Howl's Moving Castle has some wonderful steampunk elements especially the flying machines and the castle itself. So does Castle in the Sky.

I think this was mentioned.  I do agree with you, totally SP

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »

I just watched 20,000 leagues (Mason) again. It is thoroughly brilliant. On the other hand, I haven't got through Casshern yet. It doesn't grab me in quite the same way.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
MrsCake
Deck Hand

« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:04 am »

I don't think that has been posted here before. Is it even out,yet? I saw the trailer and thought it miiiight fit. Maybe not technologically heavy enough? Definitely alternate history, though.
Here we have
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
XD
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #482 on: March 23, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »

I don't think that has been posted here before. Is it even out,yet? I saw the trailer and thought it miiiight fit. Maybe not technologically heavy enough? Definitely alternate history, though.
Here we have Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter XD

Oh gods yes! I cannot wait for this to come out.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »

Un affiche de Pascal Witaszek.
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »

I did a quick search of the forum and I don't believe anyone has mentioned it yet so I'd like to suggest
Dorian Gray (2009) with Ben Barnes and Colin Firth
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/?from_app=ios&mode=desktop

Though not necessarily Steampunk it is certainly set in the time period and has some steamy elements.

Dorian Gray (2009) Trailer HD

It was pretty good albeit a bit over the top at some parts.

jemamus
Deck Hand

« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:11 pm »

First one to mention the Sean Connery geriatric ego trip "League of Extraodinary Gentlemen" {NOT to be confused with the graphic novels} will be given a revolver with one bullet & expected to do the decent thing.

Ah the joys of free will and the ability to make up one's own mind about a film, I am quite happy to say I don't dislike this film, in fact I quite like a Sunday afternnoon snuggling on the old sofa watch this with the missus.  Smiley

The Illusionist
 Howl's Moving castle
 Steamboy
 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
 Van Hellsing
 Wild Wild West

agreed, It's not accurate to anything in anyway, but it's just a fun movie once you enjoy it for what it is. 

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company - Lord Byron
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #486 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:50 am »

I did a quick search of the forum and I don't believe anyone has mentioned it yet so I'd like to suggest
Dorian Gray (2009) with Ben Barnes and Colin Firth
Though not necessarily Steampunk it is certainly set in the time period and has some steamy elements.
It was pretty good albeit a bit over the top at some parts.
I am sorry but I will hold to an opposite viewpoint on this overlong, slow and rather dreary interpretation of Oscar Wilde's classic story.
To me neither Barnes or Firth were believable in the respective roles, Barnes was both too pretty and not self centred enough and Firth seemed bored and nowhere near dissipated enough.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »

I expect many will remember 'Van Helsing'. It was critically panned but has since appeared in many 'guilty pleasures' lists (including my own).

Well, despite it only being 8 years old it's getting a remake / reboot.

And Van Helsing will be played by Tom Cruise. Shocked

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »

I honestly think big budget Hollywood is disappearing up it's own arse so fast it's unreal. We now have yet another Spiderman reboot apparently, I hear Whedon's Dark Knight idea was rejected but honest to God it feels like all of five minutes since the last one. The whole industry seems to exist in an originality black hole right now. The only time something vaguely interesting comes along is because half the time it's the inevitable American version of something from another country.

As for this Van Helsing idea, it could very easily end up being canned long before the slated 2016 release date, so I don't even know why they're bothering to report on it so early. As I've said previously, I hated VH when I saw it at the cinema, I still think it's ironic they went to the trouble of building an entire town for location shooting, just to badly render CGI all over it. But the fact is once I came to realise it should just be taken as a fun ride and nothing more, it's become one of my favourite films of it's type.

Rather like Madame Beckinsale once famously did to one of her directors thermos flasks early on in her career, it frankly wees all over Wild Wild West and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I was a little disappointed they never made another, but if they do it really should be Hugh Jackman in the role. Although I understand the critical hammering pretty much killed any chance of that.

I'm not going to slag off Cruise, he's more than impressed me with certain films he's done in the past. I haven't heard it stated he's taking the title role anyway, just starring in some capacity. But honestly all these reboots and remakes are just getting really old.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:14:23 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
hawkandraven
Swab

« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

Reise or riese I'm slightly dislexic(?) Sorry..
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #490 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »

I am sorry but I will hold to an opposite viewpoint on this overlong, slow and rather dreary interpretation of Oscar Wilde's classic story.
To me neither Barnes or Firth were believable in the respective roles, Barnes was both too pretty and not self centred enough and Firth seemed bored and nowhere near dissipated enough.

I'm sure this is a fair evaluation. I'll be the first to admit that I have not yet had the occasion to read the original text and all I have to go by is my knowledge of the basic storyline. I would like to say, taking into account that people have different tastes in films, I personally enjoyed it well enough but can easily see where you're coming from as well.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2012, 12:36:01 am »

I expect many will remember 'Van Helsing'. It was critically panned but has since appeared in many 'guilty pleasures' lists (including my own).

Well, despite it only being 8 years old it's getting a remake / reboot.

And Van Helsing will be played by Tom Cruise. Shocked

I found VS pretty disappointing, it was a good basic idea but i just don't think they did it justice; it was clunky and didn't seem to have any heart; there where some good points to it but the thing that sticks in my mind is the most badly written female character in quite some time, she has a little speech near the start about being part of a family of vampire hunters or some such and she literally does nothing for the rest of the film apart from look a bit pathetic; though they did take the unusual step of actually killing her off so they get a point for that but overall it felt like 90 minutes or so of my life i wouldn't get back.

And a remake eight years later? I think I need to get a job as a film/TV writer, I wouldn't be any good but if these dweebs can make money from there boring stories, bad dialogue, paper thin characterisations etc etc then I couldn't do much worse  Wink

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #492 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:57 am »

I forgot to mention Dust Devil
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote is an older one but I had to comment on this. Dust Devil has Steampunk elements? I have never seen any of it. After discovering that it was directed by Richard Stanley (Creator/Director of the film Hardware) I have to see them now.

One of my favorite Steampunk films is The City of Lost Children and also The Invisible Man (1933).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:32:31 am by Voltin » Logged

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #493 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:59 am »

The main baddie in Dust Devil has a pretty funky duster coat, which I actually saw Richard Stanley wearing at Glastonbury many moons ago. But other than that, I can't think of any SP elements offhand.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #494 on: May 11, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

'Dust Devil' is one of my favourite films. I have the limited box-set with all three versions / cuts.

The film has elements of a police procedural, 'Spaghetti' western, vampire influenced supernatural horror and a lot of South African social commentary. I think, if you see the long version, without the ridiculous cuts, it's a quite brilliant movie and far superior to Hardware. It pretty much stands alone in a genre all of it's own. And that's mighty rare. Personally I'd put it up there along side my other favourite, 'The Hitcher' (original obviously).

However, I can't see much of a Steampunk influence. Not even Cyberpunk. Even if he does wear a nice duster coat and hat.

Ultimately, I'd just say I recommend anyone to watch it. Unreservedly.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2012, 05:50:02 pm »

And Van Helsing will be played by Tom Cruise

So, more like 'Van Halfling'....

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »

Hugo - whilst more historical than steampunk, it hits the mark for me because of the futuristic nature of the Méliès films filtering through into the plot.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:46 pm »

Hugo - whilst more historical than steampunk, it hits the mark for me because of the futuristic nature of the Méliès films filtering through into the plot.

Visually..... absolutely stunning ......alas a little slow at the start.
Overall 3.5 / 5.

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2012, 12:29:02 am »

'Dust Devil' is one of my favourite films. I have the limited box-set with all three versions / cuts.

The film has elements of a police procedural, 'Spaghetti' western, vampire influenced supernatural horror and a lot of South African social commentary. I think, if you see the long version, without the ridiculous cuts, it's a quite brilliant movie and far superior to Hardware. It pretty much stands alone in a genre all of it's own. And that's mighty rare. Personally I'd put it up there along side my other favourite, 'The Hitcher' (original obviously).

However, I can't see much of a Steampunk influence. Not even Cyberpunk. Even if he does wear a nice duster coat and hat.

Ultimately, I'd just say I recommend anyone to watch it. Unreservedly.

Just watched the version they have up on Netflix last night. Now I really want to see the uncut versions.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #499 on: May 12, 2012, 02:00:13 am »

If you ever get the chance you should check out some of Stanley's early documentaries, I believe they're included with some collectors versions of Dust Devil. He was one of the first to properly film Afghan tribesman, using old wind up cameras so they wouldn't have to worry about battery life. There are some good South African ones and various other things as well, It's all fascinating stuff.

http://notcoming.com/features/richard-stanley-documentaries/
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: