The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:22:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 121029 times)
engineRmRaphi
Gunner
United States United States

SteamPink: Eugene V. Debs for President 1912

« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08:46 pm »

I did peruse close to all of the posts; grateful to find recommendations for movies with which I am not acquainted.

To my knowledge, the items I'm about to suggest have not been mentioned previously.  And if they have, it was quite a few pages ago such that they should be named again.  I've no idea if these have been issued on DVD, since I have them on VHS.  But they are certainly worth a search.

1. "Gaslight" 1944, b & w.  
Period costumes, suspense, great acting and directing.  Starring Chas. Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, and Joseph Cotton. Dir. by Geo. Cukor.  

2. "Cronos" 1992.
Dir. by Guillermo del Torres (of Hellboy fame.) Very strange, somewhat dark; begins w/ an alchemist searching for life eternal.  An antique dealer finds the device in question.

3. And the piece de resistance:  "Time After Time" 1979.  

Dir. Nicholas Meyer.  Starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen.  The basic plotline is that Jack the Ripper steals the time machine to escape to the future.  HG Wells is mortified, thinking he is responsible for unleashing a monster into what must surely be a peaceful paradise: the year 1979.  So Wells follows him.  Set in San Francisco.  Terrific suspense, good story.  A throwaway bit... Wells is dining with the woman he has just met.  Having spent the morning in a McD's, he tells her that this is far better "than the Scottish place where I had breakfast."
    Note-- this film is also recommended by Adam Roberts in his afterword to the re-issue paperback of  K W Jeter's "Morlock Night."  However, he incorrectly identifies the city involved as LA.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:14:44 pm by engineRmRaphi » Logged

Raphi Alexandrian, <br />Marine Steam Engineer. <br />Advocate for the laboring classes.<br />Practitioner of the Egyptian mysteries, Hermeticism, & Christian cabala.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »

I did peruse close to all of the posts; grateful to find recommendations for movies with which I am not acquainted.

If you check the first post in the other Steampunk movie thread there's a pretty comprehensive list.  Wink
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13126.0.html

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Joeynana
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #452 on: July 01, 2011, 06:31:06 am »

I haven't read this threadbib it's entirety so I'm bot sure if anyone here has posted this move, however, and while not steampunk per se, it has many set elements that are very steampunk.

Jack Black's Gullivers Travels.  A complete load of B.S, but worth the watch for the set design.

Blood sweat and tears went into this.
More blood than sweat.
More sweat than tears.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #453 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »

The first trailer for Hugo Cabret is out:

http://io9.com/5821715/martin-scorseses-first-hugo-trailer-is-full-of-steam+powered-wonders-including-a-dragon

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
DannyDanger
Deck Hand

« Reply #454 on: July 16, 2011, 10:18:26 am »

I just watched the trailer and came here to see if anyone mentioned it haha.

It looks awesome! Smiley Can't wait to see it.
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »

Me three!

Any date on it yet?

Other than 'Thanksgiving,' I mean?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:01:51 pm by barb dwyer » Logged

*Relentless Optimystic *
CaptainMurra
Gunner
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #456 on: July 20, 2011, 03:08:55 am »

hey i'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but if they have i offer my humblest apologies.

The Anachronism (Full Film)

"The Anachronism" is a short 15minute film with a giant metal squid..... i think its fair enough to say that's quite on this topic.
i'm going to watch it this afternoon. with tea Smiley

Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

And the piece de resistance:  "Time After Time" 1979.  
~snip~
  A throwaway bit... Wells is dining with the woman he has just met.  Having spent the morning in a McD's, he tells her that this is far better "than the Scottish place where I had breakfast."

Which he refers to as 'McDougal's' Grin
LOVE.THAT.FILM! It's so rarely shown on TV. I must try and track down a DVD copy. The scene in McDonald's is really quite funny when Wells stands in line behind some big American guy and decides to watch what he does/says in order to get some food. The American guy asks for "Big Mac 'n' fries and a coffee". Wells copies him, even doing the American accent, to ask for "Big Mac and fries..." and then in a clipped English accent says  "..oh and a cup of tea, please" And his inspection of the food is priceless. "Pomme frites!...'fries' are Pomme frites!"

My only niggly complaint is that  Jack the Ripper (played by the brilliant David Warner) steals the Time Machine from London and arrives in Los Angeles. Surely he should arrive at the same spot in London, but in 1979?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #458 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:15 pm »

Remember that the machine was on tour and happened to be in CA at the destination time...

I haven't seen that film in decades!

Just watched "The Anachronism".

Charming!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #459 on: July 20, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »

Remember that the machine was on tour and happened to be in CA at the destination time...

You're quite right..I'd forgotton that!  Embarrassed

Really must track down a copy!

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #460 on: July 20, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »

Or borrow mine. Wink
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

Or borrow mine. Wink

Ooh! Do you have a copy? What am I saying? Of course you have..you have everything!! I'd love to borrow it if I may?
Semonius
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #462 on: September 16, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »

anyone mention the mutant chronicles? I found it had a lot of steampunk elements..

oriental wise men say:

man can not have feet on ground and head in clouds.

..unless very tall man.
Larcen
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Married with 2 air Pirates in training

« Reply #463 on: October 02, 2011, 10:59:54 pm »

dont know if anyone has mentioned it but tim burtons  film "9"

Who are you people and what are you doing with my cogs!
Jane_Faye
Deck Hand

« Reply #464 on: October 07, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »

Re: Hugo Cabret:
*gasp* Saw this in Empire magazine (AKA my bible) and got unbelievably excited. Looks like it's going to be just fabulous.

As far as ones in the near future go, the Glasgow Steampunk soc is organizing trips for Sherlock Holmes 2 (probably cheesy but with wacked-out Guy Ritchie fight scenes, finally seeing Moriarty, and...RDJ in drag(Huh)... I won't be caring Cheesy ), and for The Three Musketeers (definitely cheesy, and very obviously the wrong timeperiod, but....airships...!).

Oh, and definitely recommending Adele Blanc-Sec to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Professor Smedley Smythe
Gunner

Steampunk needs YOU

« Reply #465 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:24 am »

I just watched A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again yesterday. This film has many of the ingredients of what we love and recognise about SP. It must be up there with some of the other favorites.

Ive seen a Steampunk....and Ive seen a punk steamed!!!
                                       Nasty!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:46 pm »

You should read the comic instead, volumes 1 and 2.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »

You should read the comic instead, volumes 1 and 2.

And 'Century:1910', 'Black Dossier' (set in the '50's) and 'Century:1969'.
 Although set mainly outside the Victorian time period, these three sequels are also excellent and retain sufficient 'Steampunk' elements to keep you interested.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #468 on: October 16, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »

Hmm, I didn´t care much for those.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #469 on: October 16, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »

Hmm, I didn´t care much for those.

Each to thier own. Wink
Professor Smedley Smythe
Gunner

Steampunk needs YOU

« Reply #470 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:09 pm »

Thanks for the tip Atterton, greatly received my good fellow.
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #471 on: October 24, 2011, 10:29:21 am »

My list of DVDs I have to buy just expanded by another 1/2 page. Thanks  guys  Roll Eyes

Seriously though , there are a few must sees on this list.

We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #472 on: November 08, 2011, 10:33:01 pm »

OK hopefully these have not been mentioned too many times, not that it really matters. These aren't Sp movies per se, just great classics that I suspect will appeal to many a Sp.

North West Frontier: Set on a steam train in British India in 1901. Superb performances from all the cast including Kenneth Moore, Lauren Baccall and a wonderfully sinister Herbert Lom.

55days at Peking: Historical (ish) drama about the Boxer rebellion of 1900. Charlton Heston, Ava Gardiner, David Niven and Robert Helpmann (child catcher in Chitty) as the creepy Prince Tuan.

The Light At The Edge Of The World: Set in 1865 and adapted from a Jules Verne novel. Kirk Douglas plays a lighthouse keeper who finds himself fighting a battle of wills with Yul Bryner and his vicious band of pirates. Also stars the hugely gorgeous Samantha Eggar.

Kind Hearts And Coronets: Has I believe been mentioned and really needs no introduction, but basically if you haven't seen it, do see it! Stars Alec Guinness (a lot) and Dennis Price.

Swashbuckler aka The Scarlet Buccaneer: Great piratey movie which is quite adult themed. Set in Jamaica in 1718 starring Robert Shaw, Peter Boyle (in a very different role from that of Raymond's dad  Cheesy) and Genevieve Bujold.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
JohnOdin
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2011, 09:03:12 pm »

Dunno if this has been mentioned.
But the film Franklin - which certanly has elements of steampunk it it, Is showing on film4 UK at 9pm tonight.
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #474 on: December 30, 2011, 08:02:38 am »

anybody ever seen Walt Disney's island at the top of the work and in search of the castaways 2 great movies
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: