The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 121040 times)
Douglas Scott Rawlings I
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

"There is no spoon. Nor is there an island."

« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:53 am »

All six Hammer Frankenstein films starring Peter Cushing.

If i may be so bold: WOOF!!

I occupy myself with composition and recording, writing, and painting. I am master of all I survey (within this 10x12 foot room). Tamer of lions, conqueror of nations, owner and captain of the airship "Beauty", master of duct tape. References provided at request.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:58 am »

Would Sweeny Todd be steampunk?

What do we want? Decapitations!
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

HM Governor-General of the Martian Territories

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #427 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

Would Sweeny Todd be steampunk?

He is so totally steampunk, at least the Johnny Depp version is, om nom nom

"What is it Lieutenant Sebastian?"
"It's the rebels Sir, they're here."
"My God man! ....Do they want tea?"
"No I think they're after something more than that Sir. I don't know what it is but they've brought a flag."
Craig Snedeker
Swab

« Reply #428 on: April 13, 2011, 02:06:22 am »

The City of Ember
Time Changer
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2011, 03:51:01 am »

Not sure if it was mentioned but "Full Metal Alchemist", both the Movie, and both tv shows. Then there is Castle in the Sky, which seems to have inspired "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" a bit. And has anyone mentioned "Young Sherlock Holmes"?

Also, any lover of steampunk must check out the Quay Brothers and their amazing stop animation films. Part one of their short "Street of Crocodiles":
Street of Crocodiles (1986) - Part 1DQ

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:03 am »

Not entirely a motion picture (although I did see it at a picture house) however; the national theater are now filming select plays to be shown in picture houses about the world the particular one I went to see was Frankenstein with Benadict cumberbatch playing the monster.  It most definitely had some rather steamy moments & was generally rather amazing- I would highly recommend it!
(also for a ink to the page on the national's website http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/62808/productions/frankenstein.html)

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #431 on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

Not sure if it was mentioned but "Full Metal Alchemist", both the Movie, and both tv shows. Then there is Castle in the Sky, which seems to have inspired "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" a bit. And has anyone mentioned "Young Sherlock Holmes"?

Also, any lover of steampunk must check out the Quay Brothers and their amazing stop animation films. Part one of their short "Street of Crocodiles":
Street of Crocodiles (1986) - Part 1

Yes, I got their DVD set for Christmas, and I have to say it is an essential for anyone loving eerie stop motion or victorian style silent films.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #432 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:52 pm »

what about mirrormask?
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #433 on: May 07, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

what about mirrormask?

Yes, I think it would. Has the right mood to it. I second your nomination of this quite amazing film to be considered as Steampunk.
MrsDarcy
Deck Hand

« Reply #434 on: May 09, 2011, 09:35:34 am »

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is due out November 2011 according to imdb. I think the book is definitely steampunk and I hope the film is half as good as the amazing illustrations by Brian Selznick.

Plus it has Johnny Depp and Christopher Lee *drools*
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:31 am »

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is due out November 2011 according to imdb. I think the book is definitely steampunk and I hope the film is half as good as the amazing illustrations by Brian Selznick.

Mmmmmmm  Tongue
MrsDarcy
Deck Hand

« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

Mmmmmmm  Tongue
I don't know what that means  Embarrassed
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »

Mmmmmmm  Tongue
I don't know what that means  Embarrassed

Just an idle thought about Mr Depp   Grin
MrsDarcy
Deck Hand

« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »

Just an idle thought about Mr Depp   Grin
Oh in that case I concur absolutely :p
Halifax von Poppenlock
Deck Hand

"we have a protractor"

« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:40 am »

It wasn't mentioned on the pages I have read (maybe on ones I didnt) but I highly recommend The Prestige for a very steam-noir type feel with magicians and great Tesla elements.

member of underground steam dance resistance to diesel imperialiasm
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2011, 05:07:57 am »

I remember two Vincent Price movies: "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and "Dr. Phibes Rises Again" as having some elements of clockwork although settings seem to suggest early 20th century, perhaps, Art-Deco styling.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
Rebecca_Lansport
Deck Hand

"Up until the punching, it was a real nice party."

« Reply #441 on: May 25, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »

Having seen nothing but trailers for it at this point, I would respectfully like to offer "Sucker Punch" - meaning the new one that was out in March, with Emily Browning - as a potential Steampunk movie.

“But it ain’t all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin’ is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I’m about to say. Love. You can know all the math in the ‘Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don’t love, she’ll shake you off just as sure as a turn in the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she’s hurtin’ ‘fore she keens. Makes her a home.” – Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Rebecca_Lansport
Deck Hand

"Up until the punching, it was a real nice party."

« Reply #442 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:39 pm »

Ah, and see, this is why I should never answer things in the order I read them... it appears that very movie has it's OWN thread.
BB BlackDog
Officer

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:56 am »

Enjoyed Jonah Hex,
And the Age of dragons with its steel land ship, nods more than a hat at the Genre, although not such a great film, especially if you've seen Moby Dick

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »

Enjoyed Jonah Hex,

You Sir, are one of the few. I'm sure there was a good film in there somewhere but the fact that it was cut down to such a short running time and had so many confusing jump cuts made it an unpleasant experience for me. I'd love to know if there's an extended cut with any of the (supposed) missing hour and a half going to surface at some point. Some nice visuals though. Loved the horse mounted Gatlin. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #445 on: June 03, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »

Not entirely steampunk, but Delicatessen is a brilliant film, & has all of the important bits of steampunk (to me anyway) in it! & Dominique Pinon is in it <3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First one to mention the Sean Connery geriatric ego trip "League of Extraodinary Gentlemen" {NOT to be confused with the graphic novels} will be given a revolver with one bullet & expected to do the decent thing.

Grin Cheesy Grin !

Delicatessen is definatly a classic, and the underground "Veggies" definatly steampunkesk.
Love it
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #446 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:53 pm »

I remember two Vincent Price movies: "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and "Dr. Phibes Rises Again" as having some elements of clockwork although settings seem to suggest early 20th century, perhaps, Art-Deco styling.

Got 'em on DVD, directed by Robert Fuest who directed the hard to find (and I'm still hoping) Final Programme, with Jon Finch as Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius.  Any road up, Dr P is definitely dripping with Art Deco, so slightly (but only just) outside our milieu.  They did have setam trains in those days, I believe (my father was born in 1925 and he remembers it all)

But comrades why should we constrain ourselves - or indeed constrict - to a narrowish timeline?  Style, grace and courtly manners should be timeless.  As long as the clothes look good and we conduct ourselves with decorum...
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #447 on: June 03, 2011, 10:37:09 pm »

Enjoyed Jonah Hex,

You Sir, are one of the few. I'm sure there was a good film in there somewhere but the fact that it was cut down to such a short running time and had so many confusing jump cuts made it an unpleasant experience for me. I'd love to know if there's an extended cut with any of the (supposed) missing hour and a half going to surface at some point. Some nice visuals though. Loved the horse mounted Gatlin. Grin
I didn't have high expectations which I find often increases my enjoyment, not too familiar with the source material either which helped, Find a lot of films nowadays are so much effects driven, and with so fast cuts, story and character development take a back seat.
 Watching the Treasure of Sierra Madre tonight, Love some Modern films, especially Sci Fi but a bit of a classic Fan.
Completely agree about the Visuals though, Made the film for me, and just on that edge of fantasy and believability 
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #448 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:23 pm »

Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Brazil
Dark City (or is that just antique cyberpunk?)
Young Frankenstein?
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Metropolis  (both Fritz Lang and anime version)
Treasure Planet

this thread's been done before, but bugger that. if a new gem pops up, it's worth it.

Brazil must be up there, real classic, Love Gilliams work, and could make an argument for a lot of his films as steampunk, but that aside, I challenge anyone to watch brazil without humming "la da da da da da doooo" for a week after.
Origional "The Day the earth stood still" is a classic of any genre too

josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #449 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:34 am »

I just rewatched Mystery Men today, and i realized it has some steampunk elements in it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: