The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:51:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 122318 times)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »

Not a Steampunk film per se..but did any other Brits catch the 2002 remake of The Four Feathers on BBC 2 yesterday evening (Sun 25th Oct) with Heath Ledger, Michael Sheen, Rupert Penry-Jones and Tim Piggott-Smith?

Now I know that it makes perfect sense for soldiers in the desert to wear goggles to protect them from sand and sunlight but I've never actually seen soldiers from this particular time period do that. So watching this film and suddenly seeing all these  soldiers in their scarlet tunics with white webbing, khaki jods, riding boots and pith helmets with goggles round them (an image that makes me think of Lincoln/Asylum) was really quite cool!

I didnt see it this time but I have had it out on DVD a few years ago; I'd didnt remember them wearing goggles so perhaps I should have watched it for that! If I remember theres a few purposeful/accidental anarchronisms in this film; I think they also changed the date the story is set because they wanted them to wear scarlet rather than khaki. 

Personally I think I prefer the TV version with Robert Powell of the many adaptions of this story.

The (fictional) Regiment in the film (The Royal Cumbrians) wore a variety of kit. In the Sudanese desert they wore White piths with red tunics and khaki trousers with brown boots. However whilst practicing they're charges on horseback in Britain they wore blue trousers with a broad red stripe and  dark blue piths with gold spikes and adornments. Other times saw them in the same outfits but with white piths.
Here's a few stills from the film taken from Google images

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Story
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:49 pm »

A nice mini-movie mashup for Halloween

Oingo Boingo - It's a Dead Man's Party

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:17 pm »

Not a Steampunk film per se..but did any other Brits catch the 2002 remake of The Four Feathers on BBC 2 yesterday evening (Sun 25th Oct) with Heath Ledger, Michael Sheen, Rupert Penry-Jones and Tim Piggott-Smith?

Now I know that it makes perfect sense for soldiers in the desert to wear goggles to protect them from sand and sunlight but I've never actually seen soldiers from this particular time period do that. So watching this film and suddenly seeing all these  soldiers in their scarlet tunics with white webbing, khaki jods, riding boots and pith helmets with goggles round them (an image that makes me think of Lincoln/Asylum) was really quite cool!

I didnt see it this time but I have had it out on DVD a few years ago; I'd didnt remember them wearing goggles so perhaps I should have watched it for that! If I remember theres a few purposeful/accidental anarchronisms in this film; I think they also changed the date the story is set because they wanted them to wear scarlet rather than khaki. 

Personally I think I prefer the TV version with Robert Powell of the many adaptions of this story.

The (fictional) Regiment in the film (The Royal Cumbrians) wore a variety of kit. In the Sudanese desert they wore White piths with red tunics and khaki trousers with brown boots. However whilst practicing they're charges on horseback in Britain they wore blue trousers with a broad red stripe and  dark blue piths with gold spikes and adornments. Other times saw them in the same outfits but with white piths.
Here's a few stills from the film taken from Google images

I love the photo of them in square

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »

Sorry, the 1939 version, with John Clements, Ralph Richardson, C. Aubrey Smith (it has been said that his eyebrows should get separate billing!) and the lovely June Duprez as Ethne is the best version.  Great story line, wonderful sets and costumes - and they haven't buggered with the story to make it more "PC".

Wonderful stuff!

"The Crimea was different!  War was war in those days, and men were MEN!"

Absolutely ripping.

Z

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #404 on: November 11, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

Bringing the tone down a bit...

Has anyone mentioned Dispicable Me yet? So what if it's a kid's film, everyone who's seen it has said how much they enjoyed it. So it's not *strictly* steampunk as it's a modern setting, but the central character is hell-bent on accomplishing his Evil missions, aided by dozens of begoggled minions (that you want to take home and make your own). The ending's twee but that's inevitable, and it's gota mix of belly laughs and visual gags that keep you entertained. What more d'you want in an evening of light entertainment?

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

HM Governor-General of the Martian Territories

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #405 on: November 18, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

Love this thread!

Some films mentioned I definitely considered to possess a steampunk quality, other films I hadn't really considered (some I've never seen or heard of),so now I have a 'To be viewed' list, thanks Ladies and Gents!

"What is it Lieutenant Sebastian?"
"It's the rebels Sir, they're here."
"My God man! ....Do they want tea?"
"No I think they're after something more than that Sir. I don't know what it is but they've brought a flag."
MarkB
Swab

« Reply #406 on: November 23, 2010, 03:42:33 am »

Haven't seen this myself, but it looks good. Sam Watterston in a miniseries about a scientific genius at the turn of the century, called "Q.E.D" or "The Mastermind".
Q.E.D. Starring Sam Waterston: Target: London (episode 1) 1/5

There is a scene in "Mad Love", with Peter Lorre, which (although the movie is set in the 1930's, I think) contains a very steampunk pair of mechanical hands and neck brace. This figurine was the best image I could find:
http://engelsuniverse.blogspot.com/2009/04/mad-love-each-man-kills-thing-he-loves.html
Theodore Trout
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:40 am »

All six Hammer Frankenstein films starring Peter Cushing.
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

Has anyone mentioned "Carry on Screaming"?  Seems to tick a fair few boxes, begad.

On the subject of Mary Poppins, I can email anyone the results of an investigation into this entity which the conspiratorially-minded among us may find of interest...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #409 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:34 pm »

There is a scene in "Mad Love", with Peter Lorre, which (although the movie is set in the 1930's, I think) contains a very steampunk pair of mechanical hands and neck brace

I'm a huge Peter Lorre fan and I've always wanted to recreate that  look from Mad Love for Halloween....

That figurine is pretty cool..however here's a some actual stills from the film..
Cpt.K.J.Pantling
Deck Hand

« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

ok i dont know if it has been mentioned already but the fortress 2 in my eyes is a good example of steampunk in space Smiley
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #411 on: December 18, 2010, 12:43:01 am »

Well, I don't know if our little film is really steampunk...but it does have lots of vintage stuff in it - a few 1930's flashbacks, and...it is made by steampunks!

It's actually a tribute to Grey Gardens, and will probaly make no sense to anyone who hasn't been made aware of what Grey Gardens is. Our little music video is a tribute to both the original 1970s film and the 2007 remake.

GREY GARDENS tribute "No-one can play me" - Moth music video

.                                                                                                        (select 1080 for HD)

Please do feel free to pass it around, comment...etc. All constructive criticism welcome!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:45:03 am by Cubinoid » Logged

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #412 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »

Did anyone see "Burke and Hare" (with Simon Pegg) when it was on? Any thoughts/recommendations?
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »

Did anyone see "Burke and Hare" (with Simon Pegg) when it was on? Any thoughts/recommendations?

Some of our members share their views on B&H here
Riverboat Man
Deck Hand

« Reply #414 on: December 28, 2010, 06:27:42 am »

Billy Wilder's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) should be mentioned. In addition to the physically miscast but wonderfully dry Christopher Lee as Mycroft, we have a steampunk submersible and Holmes' "Tool Kit" walking stick. 

"I aim to misbehave."
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #415 on: December 28, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »

Oh dear. I am watching Robot Monster.

...and I like it.  Grin
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #416 on: December 29, 2010, 12:33:18 am »

Oh dear. I am watching Robot Monster.

...and I like it.  Grin

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #417 on: December 29, 2010, 04:34:24 am »

This one...apparently "the worst film ever made"?

http://stagevu.com/video/wgrpleriifli
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:02:12 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #418 on: January 01, 2011, 08:11:09 am »

I am watching The Fall directed by Tarsem Singh. It is some of the best costuming I have seen in a long time.

http://www.thefallthemovie.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

The Fall Movie Trailer (2008)

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #419 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »

This one...apparently "the worst film ever made"?

http://stagevu.com/video/wgrpleriifli

And if it gets too much

Also The Fall is a beautifully shot movie but may be somewhat allegorical for all tastes.
HerrMojo
Gunner

Howdy-do, y'all.

« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

Howdy,

Disney's "Atlantis".  'Nuff Said.  Grin

Cheers,

Dan Smiley
Cpt.K.J.Pantling
Deck Hand

« Reply #421 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:56 am »

dunno if its been said yet but City of Ember Smiley
flashheart
Deck Hand

« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »

I still havent seen this and i am sure it is actually awful but.....

Gunbus Sky Bandits - Trailer

But....

Sky Bandits - Battaglia Aerea

Damn you Edison!
Dirt Capsule
Swab

« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2011, 03:08:10 am »

Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang will always have a place in my heart.

Though a bit off that path, tell me if this short film is, what one might call, SteamPunkish...

Steampunk sci-fi - The Movie: Mr. Gun
Douglas Scott Rawlings I
Deck Hand

Gravatar

"There is no spoon. Nor is there an island."

« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:25 am »

If already mention then I strenuously apologize;

Hellboy I and II
Van Helsing

And forgive my impudence, but I rather liked The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen....

You may bring the revolver with my breakfast,...since it will be my last meal, I will have 4 eggs over easy, 4 strips of bacon (not crispy), 3 patties of spicy sausage, 4 pancakes with blackberry syrup and real butter, a berry fruit cup, oatmeal (thick) with cinnamon and brown sugar, a small bowl of hot stewed tomatoes, flaky biscuits with apricot preserves, milk (2%), orange juice, and very, very strong coffee.

I bid you all adieu...

I occupy myself with composition and recording, writing, and painting. I am master of all I survey (within this 10x12 foot room). Tamer of lions, conqueror of nations, owner and captain of the airship "Beauty", master of duct tape. References provided at request.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: