The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 02:41:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 121030 times)
Robur
Deck Hand
France France

Steampunked

« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2010, 01:21:12 am »

The City of Lost Children is a well documented and often mentioned steampunk film.

Damn, someone else got there first :lol:

I thought it would be quite cult, considering it was from the director that did 'The Delicatessen'.

Hello, 'City of Lost Children' is actually quoted in the second message of the whole thread Cheesy
Überkult!
papos
Swab

Greece Greece

« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2010, 10:47:21 am »

Until a few days ago I didn't know there is a genre which describes so many films which I adore!

Although they should probably be described as Dieselpunk, there are the anime movies from Mamoru Oshii, Red Spectacles and Stray Dog.
And then there are the works of Enki Bilal which are more sci-fi, but with their noir and retro looks, they have something... check Tykho Moon (very hard to find) and Immortel (the last based on the Nikopol trilogy).
Although I read all the thread, I don't remember if it was mentioned, but the Fifth Element has some steampunk... elements.
As for video-clips, I'd say "Closer" of Nine Inch Nails may qualify and "Helpless Corpses Enactment" from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
Last, although it is irrelevant to the subject, check out Argentinian illustrator Oscar Chichoni. If you like industrial aesthetics, he is your man.
MalContent
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Swindler, Con Man and Gentleman Thief

« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:49 pm »

Not steampunk but a very good study on criminal victorian times...the first great train robbery..and it has Sean connery...good movie based on a good book.

More steampunky  Vidocq....french film...the english dubbed version is Dark Portals

"God Created Alcohol so the Irish wouldn't take over the world"
Prof. Edward Penrose
Officer
Chile Chile

Mobilis In Mobile

« Reply #378 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:12 am »

Fellows, good news. According this link, WETA confirmed the making of a film version of Mortal Engines, with Peter Jackson as director and producer ... Yessss!  Grin

Arch Stanton
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

amateur xenoteuthologist

« Reply #379 on: April 28, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »

Not steampunk but 'Bunny and the Bull' has a Clockwork Fairground animation which is sublime.

Bunny and the Bull (2009) - OFFICIAL TRAILERLQ | LQ+ | HQ

(Very brief clip of it at 1:37)

dan_s87
Deck Hand

« Reply #380 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:28 am »

Why is it no one seems to remember Walt Disney's adventure film "Island at the Top Of the World"? Practically half of the movie was our three heroes flying to the arctic in and airship called the HyPERION. This movie is based on a book called "The Lost Ones"

http://www.kiddiematinee.com/images/island05.jpg
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #381 on: May 04, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »

I remember that film; its the one where the french captain swings on a rope in order to repair the engines?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
dan_s87
Deck Hand

« Reply #382 on: May 04, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »

I remember that film; its the one where the french captain swings on a rope in order to repair the engines?

Yes Exactly thank god I'm not the only one who knows what it is
Steam Librarian
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

“Liberty is worth paying for . . .”- Jules Verne

« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2010, 10:29:14 am »

I really enjoy Steamboy. Last exile is a great series although diesel punk as you mentioned. Stardust was an ok movie, but I like to book better. Wink

I’m waiting for city of the lost children, looking forward to seeing it Smiley

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.-Charles W. Eliot
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:43 pm »

I really enjoy Steamboy. Last exile is a great series although diesel punk as you mentioned. Stardust was an ok movie, but I like to book better. Wink

I’m waiting for city of the lost children, looking forward to seeing it Smiley

That's one of my favourite films! I think you'll love it.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
cosmosdancer
Swab

« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2010, 01:06:34 am »

Greetings all. New and very happy to have found this forum. Suggestion: did not spy the animated Tim Burton fim "9" on the list. Any pros/cons?
lt_koenig
Gunner

Careful with those levers!

« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2010, 07:35:10 pm »

Has anyone seen 'Micmacs' yet, fomr the director who brought us 'City of Lost Children', 'Delicatessen' and 'Alien Resurrection'. It's another steampunk style classic (or it will be I think).

Vive Msr Juenet
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #387 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:59 pm »

Has anyone seen 'Micmacs' yet, fomr the director who brought us 'City of Lost Children', 'Delicatessen' and 'Alien Resurrection'. It's another steampunk style classic (or it will be I think).

Vive Msr Juenet

I'm watching that later tonight. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

Now I've not seen this but it *might* be good for the weird west/steamwestern vibe, rather than 'proper' SP

Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Serenity. While not strictly steampunk, it does have a space western cyberpunk feel to it.
chainwalker
Deck Hand

« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:10 am »

Would the animated film "Robots" be considered steampunk since it looked like they were built like that?
Prof. Postrophe
Officer

« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:23 am »

Just because no one has mentioned it as yet: the TV series Briscoe County Jr. included a decent quantity of steampunkish material (including an airship invented by the wonderful John Astin..)

*Mechanical and electro-magnetic noises in the background, rising...*
"...However, one must keep in mind that eternal caveat of the engineering sciences..."
*sound of metal bending, then bursting glass and arcing discharge, followed by general crashing tumult...
...which finally ends with the sound of a magneto-dynamo sputtering to silence..*

"...'To The Limits Of The Device.'.."
Violet Chrone
Swab

England England

« Reply #392 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:19 pm »

Anyone else remember Ronald Searle's cartoon of Dick Deadeye? Fantastic Gilbert & Sullivan reworking. All... cups of tea, britania, corsets and fantastic songs too! Very proper stuff.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2010, 07:10:36 pm »

Hello everyone! This is my first
Post so I would like to start by saying I am charmed to make your various acquaintances.

On the subject of Steampunk (without knowing it) films. May I suggest (apologies if it has already been put forward) Woody Allen’s 1982 movie A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy for consideration.

Set in the early 1900’s it stars Allen as a crackpot inventor alongside Mia Farrow and a host of other co-stars including Mr José Ferrer.

Woody Allen

Ferrer had previously established (somewhat) steamy credentials by his portrayal of Captain Nemo in the film The Amazing Captain Nemo.

He later went on to play Emperor Shaddam 1V in David Lynches' Dune.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:42:35 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Ratty
Gunner

« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:27 am »

Repo The Genetic Opera (costumes and home decor all definitely steampunk-like)

And the movie itself is awesome in general, haven't seen it? Go see it.

I'd say Cyber-punk and not steampunk.

Logan

The technology is very modern and that definitely clashes with steampunk. However the costuming is very Victorian so it that doesn't really fits cyberpunk very well, very little neon in the costumes. I would overall say it get's closer to steampunk than a lot of movies, and think it's definitely more steampunk than cyberpunk

Casshern, definitely one of my favourite movies ever, well worth at least 3 watchings (it normally takes that many watching just to get all the connections in the plot) It has giant steam powered train, and the army of WW1 german styled robots and giant rotor powered flying machines, the clothing looks vintage japanese, I can't say the period but it definitely feels dated.

9 has a definite steampunk feel to it as it's a really nice looking film too.

A few others suggestions, all slightly out of left field and all not really 100% steampunk, but I think they do deserve a mention.

Tombstone, brilliant western about Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, Definitely a good reference if you want to go for a Wyrd West steampunk look.

Pi, modern day movie about a mathematician that accidently finds the name of God while trying to predict the stock exchange. The fact that it's filmed in black and white and has an industrial soundtrack gives it a slightly steamy edge. It's also about a scientist going slowly mad.

Alice in wonderland, The new Tim Burton version. Has some nice victorian clothing and I think the ending has a nice Steampunk female adventurer suggestion to it.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:41 pm »

Paraphrased from various sources:

An update on the movie version of 'Larklight', Philip Reeve‘s 2006 novel set in Victorian-era alternate universe, suggests that director Tomas Alfredson ('Let the Right One In') has signed on with Warner Bros. Pictures for a proposed release in 2013.

The film was originally planned to be released in 2010 with director Shekhar Kapur but after the death of director Anthony Minghella, Kapur left to take over an unfinished Minghella movie and 'Larklight' was postponed.

It seems Kapur is now not returning to the project which is why the job has gone to Alfredson.

'Larklight' is set in an alternate Victorian era universe where space travel is commonplace and the British Empire spans the solar system.
Professor Veritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

Barber of Syberia - an excellent Russian film with a few steampunky characters and overtones.
Can be viewed in its entirety here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regards,
Prof Veritas
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »

Has anyone seen Dark Portals: The Chronicles of Vidocq?

Never released here in Blighty, unfortunately.

http://www.videodetective.com/titledetails.aspx?PublishedID=213848

Bit of thread Necromancy but this IS now available on Region 2 via Amazon.

I've got the Region 1.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2010, 11:57:13 am »

Not a Steampunk film per se..but did any other Brits catch the 2002 remake of The Four Feathers on BBC 2 yesterday evening (Sun 25th Oct) with Heath Ledger, Michael Sheen, Rupert Penry-Jones and Tim Piggott-Smith?

Now I know that it makes perfect sense for soldiers in the desert to wear goggles to protect them from sand and sunlight but I've never actually seen soldiers from this particular time period do that. So watching this film and suddenly seeing all these  soldiers in their scarlet tunics with white webbing, khaki jods, riding boots and pith helmets with goggles round them (an image that makes me think of Lincoln/Asylum) was really quite cool!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2010, 12:05:49 pm »

Not a Steampunk film per se..but did any other Brits catch the 2002 remake of The Four Feathers on BBC 2 yesterday evening (Sun 25th Oct) with Heath Ledger, Michael Sheen, Rupert Penry-Jones and Tim Piggott-Smith?

Now I know that it makes perfect sense for soldiers in the desert to wear goggles to protect them from sand and sunlight but I've never actually seen soldiers from this particular time period do that. So watching this film and suddenly seeing all these  soldiers in their scarlet tunics with white webbing, khaki jods, riding boots and pith helmets with goggles round them (an image that makes me think of Lincoln/Asylum) was really quite cool!

I didnt see it this time but I have had it out on DVD a few years ago; I'd didnt remember them wearing goggles so perhaps I should have watched it for that! If I remember theres a few purposeful/accidental anarchronisms in this film; I think they also changed the date the story is set because they wanted them to wear scarlet rather than khaki. 

Personally I think I prefer the TV version with Robert Powell of the many adaptions of this story.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: