The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:25:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Diffidence Engine" Journal - criticism required. Inquire within!  (Read 1775 times)
Mr Zero
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:45 pm »

I'm only just putting this together but I wouldn't mind a few opinions as to if the font will do the job for mimicing handwriting or if it's too modern. (I've tried so many i now have a blind spot and tho this is my fave so far I have lost objectivity.)

I will mess it up a little so it's not quite so regular - and the picture will most likely be a pen and ink rather than a watercolour: OH! and the whole will be printed on parchment to heighten the effect.

PS: If anyone here knows a little physics, forgive the many liberties with the concepts of the Pauli principle and the Fermi surface: as to my mutilation of Quantum Reluctance into "Diffidence" I simply have no defense, other that I found it amusing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:54:21 pm »

You'll forgive me...

I understand the word diffidence to mean something quite different.

ie: dif·fi·dence  (df-dns, -dns) n. : The quality or state of being diffident; timidity or shyness.

(ah - reluctance... I think I get it now...)

That said. I think the typeface works well. Once it's suitably distressed, I don't see any problem with using it to this purpose.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

What a great idea!

I would be tempted to go for something a little more English roundhand for the font - something like Snell Roundhand but a bit less neat. There are a few on DaFont http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601&page=1 which might work; and I also like Porcelain and Selfish from here: http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/fonts.php, but they might look too modern and/or fancy.

Having said that, the one you've used isn't so modern as to look wrong - at least, I don't think it is. (The only reason for suggesting roundhand is that it's the sort of style I associate with 18th and 19th c writing)

The pic will look good as pen and ink, and might also look good as line and wash if you wanted a bit of colour.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Mr Zero
Officer

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01:50 am »

Rogue, yes I stretched the definition of diffidence slightly, but it was necessary for the joke: I mean for science!

Jemima, thank's for the website - it looks very valuable: I will try both the fonts you suggested, as well as the line and wash (which was in fact my first instinct as far as the journal illustrations were concerned!)
Hieronimous Stonebender
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

Architect of Fortune

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 07:33:26 am »

I for one really like the font. It mimics handwriting rather well. What, prey tell, is it called?
VarmLuftFra1800-tallet
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:35:35 am »

I don't know if you now it, but to get the parchment to look old, you just have to spill tea all over it, and let it dry (alternativly, if you want a treasure map, burn carefully the surfaces and the sides...)
Mr Zero
Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »

Hieronimous - the font is called "Jane Austen" and is also available at the link kindly provided by J A Clough above. it's quite versatile - having such details as alternate versions of the letters and "Ing" and "The" set up as a single character.

VarmLuftFra1800 - thankyou for the advice, however as frequently create all sorts of paper based shenanigans I have some "naturally old" paper that will I think suffice this time. If you want to avoid your parchment smelling of tea, certain papers take on a very convincing aged effect when hung in ammonia gas. All necessary safety precautions to be taken, etc.

Alastair Smythe
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:49:28 am »

It looks good, but I'd make that picture a bit more washed-out and do it black-and-white.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  And it'll look really cool, too.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 04:35:11 am »

It looks good, but I'd make that picture a bit more washed-out and do it black-and-white.

Not necessarily black-and-white. If it were blended into the paper texture a little better (get rid of the grey background, except where there would be actual shadows), it could pass for watercolour. I think there are Photoshop-compatible filters to do that; it's probably possible without specific filters.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
terobi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 04:42:32 am »

VarmLuftFra1800 - thankyou for the advice, however as frequently create all sorts of paper based shenanigans I have some "naturally old" paper that will I think suffice this time. If you want to avoid your parchment smelling of tea, certain papers take on a very convincing aged effect when hung in ammonia gas. All necessary safety precautions to be taken, etc.
Why on earth would a rational person want to stop things smelling of tea?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: