The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 05:39:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Fleet Attack OOC (Pirate Solidarity thread)  (Read 30308 times)
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 06:33:02 am »

i just thought of something, does anyone think magic should be allowed in this roleplaying? it could open up a whole bunch of new ideas for the place. it might be some sort of small substrate, with science dominating a good deal of stuff, their would be the select few who were skilled in the old arts and had the ability to wield it with proficiency, it might even help explain how some of the things like the etheric helix might work, some bizarre magiscience blend

it probably couldn't be all that powerful, or we would all just fry each other with lightning bolts

i am living in mine zyrian fantasty
Gaduka
Gunner

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 06:40:38 am »

The closest thing to magic in this world that I've heard talk of would be occultism. It's nothing like throwing fireballs and lightning bolts and force-fields, though. Read some Lovecraft for a few good examples.
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 07:07:52 am »

The closest thing to magic in this world that I've heard talk of would be occultism. It's nothing like throwing fireballs and lightning bolts and force-fields, though. Read some Lovecraft for a few good examples.

i have read lovecraft, great author, so i know what you mean. but common, magic would still be cool, one of my friends (a slightly semi-steampunk) thought magic might fit, but wouldnt be very powerful, as science dominates more of culture and more natural forrests and such are destroyed for cities, the worlds natural magic dies a little more each time, so we couldent do much beond simple things

and besides, what pirate here can honestly say the dont wanna secretly just through a giant fireball sraight into vendigroth's face, then blow all of the first fleet (and new babbage) up with lightning
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:19 am »

and besides, what pirate here can honestly say the dont wanna secretly just through a giant fireball sraight into vendigroth's face, then blow all of the first fleet (and new babbage) up with lightning

Mac doesn't need any "Poxy, bleedin' fairy magic!" to do that. Wink

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »

Yamato-class super dreadnought! =D

New Babbage! =D

Do you have a spare squillion dollars?

this is a little off topic but, i think ether is pretty much a sort of steampnuk deus-ex-machina

how would we breath/travle is space? ether. how would this ship run? ether. how does that gun/cannon do that? ether. and now we have a, as Arcturon put it, a deathstar that runs on ether, the "aetheric helix", able to destroy a small ship at even the lowest power settings

Æther's only used for the three ætheric helices. The true power source is somewhat secret.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:53:37 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »

On the subject of magic, I must say that I disapprove of the whole "fire from one's fingertips" thing, but the use of amulets or artefacts may prove interesting, if a suitable backstory can be concocted.

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
Gaduka
Gunner

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:57 am »

Partly agreed.

I'm all for wizardry and sorcery, but I prefer to keep it in a high fantasy setting. This genre deserves something much more subtle and rare.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:37 pm »

Abandon can ride the waves and the air as well?

I've got to say, you've got the edge on me there, none of the Fleet's airships can sail on water.

If only i'd thought of that, it'd have saved me from having to build the naval branch...
ShredsnPatches
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:36 pm »

Hey, tis gonna come as a distinct surprise to Shreds when she wakes up/regains consciousness (delete as appropriate)

Havoc for Hire!

"RUN! THEY'RE FIRING POLICEMEN!"

Mending is better than ending, no matter what Aldous Huxley might think Wink
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 10:47:43 pm »

I don't see why the ability to switch between sea and air can't be a standard-issue feature. Alternatively, it could hardly be difficult to modify a small destroyer or gunboat to deploy pontoons or additional airbags for flotation.
That, and the Reckless Abandon is used to going where she's not supposed to Grin.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55:05 pm »

Checklist of the Fleet:

Arms: Check

Armour: Check

Speed: Check

Sometimes in pretty favourable combinations. Versatility, however, wasn't thought of. Each class of ship's designed to do a job, and does it well. Cahnge that job, however...

Low-altitude flight's no problem, but outright sailing just wasn't thought of. Major respect.
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 11:09:40 pm »

The ability to command more raw firepower than the very pit of Hell ain't one to be sneezed at, comrade.
ShredsnPatches
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2008, 01:11:12 pm »

Absolutely right.
Gaduka
Gunner

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2008, 10:32:20 pm »

I like that one.  Grin Sir Nikolas suggested some tweaking to it, and I must say I'm rather proud of the result.
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 01:50:59 pm »

Mac's a very practical man, if you're going to have a ship that spends most of it's time flying over the ocean then it's probably a good idea if it floats.

Cheesy
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 02:41:04 pm »

i have been reading through the solidarity thread, and i think we might all benifite from someone posting a list a who is alive/dead and what ships are still active/destroyed

thanks in advance

Let's have a story so far bit, i'll update this post as necessary.

After months and months of saber-rattling, the First Fleet ambushed the pirate fleet, catching them off guard. The pirate's ace, a captured British dreadnought was quite firmly shredded.

The Spider Wasp injects a tranquiliser into the Reckless Abandon, stupefying the crew for a short while.

After boarding a FF airship, Burnside looks on in horror to see a boarding crew on his ship, who are killed by Bellono.

Falconer, admiral of the task force, orders a gas attack, which causes havok on board the Abandon, which is on its way down.

Bellono fires a shell at the ship, which skips off. The Abandon is then raked by gunfire.

Meanwhile, as the Abandon is being captured, Burnside lands on the IFS Sehnsucht, knocks out an officer and steals his uniform.

The crew of the Abandon, after an unfortunate mishap with a gyropter are captured, treated and imprisoned. Shreds, however, if in disguise among the crew of the IFS Thunderchild.

Burnside is knocked out by a British marine and imprisoned.

I'll do the rest later, i'm bored now.
ShredsnPatches
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 03:49:19 pm »

Hope you don't mind if I chip in with some more story so far?

The crew of the Abandon end up thrown into the same cell, and when they regain consciousness soon discover that they can find no way of breaking out, and have no idea where Shreds is.

The First Fleet make their way to New Babbage to repair and re-arm, and to present the captured pirate ship to their superiors. There are rumours of a fantastical new weapon that the troops will receive.

The ships arrive at New Babbage, where all troops are ordered to assemble to see a demonstration of the new weapons they will be issued with.
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 05:57:10 pm »

With the help of Shreds, who is still in disguise, the remaining members of the Reckless Abandon escape on their damaged craft, witnessing the unleashing of the First Fleet's devastatin new super-weapon.

They resolve to head with all speed to Port Krakenfell, a notorious pirate stronghold, to spread the word.

The crew encounter a First Fleet dreadnought on the fog, but manage to talk their way past.

Now, as the Reckless Abandon nears its final goal, Admiral Falconer is, rather reluctantly, heading out on patrol.

And.....might we take this oppurtunity to remind readers to post early for Christmas Grin?
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2008, 07:29:16 pm »

Sorry I've been away so long not that anyone was missing me Grin
Anyway thanks for the recap & The bumble bee shall return to the thread & be ready to be shot out of the sky in a moment Smiley

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Bellono
Officer

Blades, fists, guns, bow if its a weapon il use it

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 08:18:37 pm »

So far its been throughly enjoyable chaps i do think this should keep going and we try to get a few more fellows envolved

"they use a gang you use a knife, they use a knife you use a bat, they use a bat you use a gun, they use a gun you use some artillery!" Sargent Chiaves Bellono, 3rd Italian Air fleet addressing raw recruits to the Alpini Para regiment
InquisitorLordKain
Snr. Officer

The Inquisition Has Arrived, Behold The Apocalypse

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 08:41:55 pm »

Kain here, I've finally got my ships re-armed for combat after having them set up for kraken hunting...More fellows you say eh? well Where be ya need'n the Inquisition against the FF

The Inquisition has cometh, behold The Apocalypse as she purges these lands with unholy cannonfire!
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:37 pm »

Sorry I've been away so long not that anyone was missing me Grin
Anyway thanks for the recap & The bumble bee shall return to the thread & be ready to be shot out of the sky in a moment Smiley

Good to see you back, comrade.

So far its been throughly enjoyable chaps i do think this should keep going and we try to get a few more fellows envolved

We can snare Kain, i hope.

Kain here, I've finally got my ships re-armed for combat after having them set up for kraken hunting...More fellows you say eh? well Where be ya need'n the Inquisition against the FF

Sir, put up or shut up.
InquisitorLordKain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »

Posted by: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Sir, put up or shut up.

Oh, you again...
Bellono
Officer

Blades, fists, guns, bow if its a weapon il use it

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 12:01:39 pm »

Execellent more people in our battle against oppresstion good to see you sir
InquisitorLordKain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »

Thank you, I'm sure Vendigroth is sick of me already by now having run in on the FF recruitments...so I'm sure he's already got it out for me...now if you'd be so king as to point me the the Pirate Stroghold so that I may safly get their at night I'd appreciate it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: