The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:37:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 242908 times)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2475 on: March 24, 2016, 07:05:34 am »

A nice haul of radio/TV tubes, for $30 (the smaller Canadian variety of dollar, that is):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I can start making some seriously mad-science looking stuff.  Grin

If these still function ( is there still a drugstore tube tester anywhere ? ) you might make a small furtune selling them to
people repairing tube equipment! some of those look like serious amplifiers... I am even now perusing old tube-based ham radio units that need tubes on the bay of fleas. there is a resergence in tube-baed equipment amongst both audiophiles who prefer the sound, and ham radio nuts who want equipment that can survive near-misses by lightning.

Anybody know where I can buy some lightning rods and dissipators?

yhs
prof (tubes) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2476 on: March 24, 2016, 11:35:54 am »

Tubesandmore.com, etc., etc.
Tube amps have been going strong for years now, everything from headphone amps, tubed processors, pretty much name it. I've been too far out from 2way/ham radio to know about exactly about that, but don't doubt it.

You cannot beat that 'tube' sound, well, as long you have good ears. Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2477 on: March 26, 2016, 06:58:35 am »

Tubesandmore.com, etc., etc.
Tube amps have been going strong for years now, everything from headphone amps, tubed processors, pretty much name it. I've been too far out from 2way/ham radio to know about exactly about that, but don't doubt it.

You cannot beat that 'tube' sound, well, as long you have good ears. Wink

thanks for the link - I better go get a set of spares for my ham rig and my wife's Hammond A-100 (complete with Leslie Voice Of The Theatre speakers! )

as far as hearing, after that regrettable explosion lab accident and too many years without hearing protection in the shop, the tinnitus is constant and overwhelming. I lull myself to sleep at night by the unending high-pitch sound of a failing High Voltge Flyback Transformer!  I can still enjoy music,but the subtle nuances are lost on my ears  Cry

yhs
prof tinnitus
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2478 on: May 14, 2016, 07:15:10 pm »

A few bits from Otley £2 the lot

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2479 on: May 14, 2016, 10:33:59 pm »

Toy musket from garage sale. Die cast metal and wood. One hammer is broken off.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2480 on: May 29, 2016, 07:25:06 pm »

more bits from Otley
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2481 on: May 30, 2016, 02:06:03 pm »

Slotted brass screws, real brass! Score!

Nice glass dome, too.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2482 on: May 30, 2016, 07:41:37 pm »

Nice glass dome, too.

Unfortunately the "glass" dome has had it (heavily scratched up plastic) I just couldn't resist £1.50 for a brass geared quartz mechanism.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2483 on: May 30, 2016, 07:47:15 pm »

If you haven't chucked it you could use the scratched dome by adding a creature in the process of escaping from it.  All scratches and marks attributed to the escaping thing.
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #2484 on: May 31, 2016, 12:21:33 am »

Unfortunately the "glass" dome has had it (heavily scratched up plastic) I just couldn't resist £1.50 for a brass geared quartz mechanism.

Plastic can be polished to remove scratches.  Use the same tools used to polish yellowed and scratched plastic car headlights (though you may not have to do that sort of thing outside of the US).

JIT

Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2485 on: May 31, 2016, 01:39:46 am »

And a Quartz mechanism has a very small number of gears, very small number. I'm curious as to what you have there.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2486 on: May 31, 2016, 12:41:48 pm »

Justin, the headlights on my old car came up a treat when they were polished - might be worth doing, Drew.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2487 on: July 10, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »

Tried to polish the scratches out just ended up with nice clean clear plastic with scratches in it, they are too deep to polish out.  Angry

On the upside I've picked up 25 ex-TV valves for £2.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2488 on: July 10, 2016, 08:22:49 pm »

Skip (USA: dumpster) finds, price FREE!  Smiley

(Sorry, not actual photos - memory card for camera is now in use in Raspberry Pi computer I'm typing this on...)

Found an unattended skip with some interesting looking bits, but was unable to stop at the time. Later I headed back to the skip, but unfortunately a self described "Skip salvage reclaimer" was already inside and digging through. Apparently he had already loaded up a van with stuff and was waiting for it to return - and he was trying to quietly phone / text message the guy with the van to tell him to hurry up, due to my arrival.

Sadly the best of the stuff was already gone, and the moron had destroyed a lot of stuff in his haste to dig through - like 1920 & 30's football programs in shreds! IDIOT!!  Sad   However I nabbed a few items for myself and left, as he was trying to grab everything for himself before I could pick it up.

So, my spoils of war:

Found a nice intact pair of 5 Litre amber glass demijohns used for chemicals - sadly the moron broke one trying to grab it before I could.. Roll Eyes

Similar to this one, though it has it's screw cap and remains of the label (Boric Complex):

And a medium size 10 Litre carboy used for wine making, it was in a plastic basket which was broken, so he had overlooked it:

And also found a bunch of books, mostly 1960's era Hardy Boys stories, and a couple of old books from 1900 and 1920. Also found an old book of unknown age, but it is very old, but sadly it is missing both front and rear covers and most of the spine - though all pages are intact. Maybe useful for a project. The hardy Boys are not worth much, but are collectable, so may find a new home.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2489 on: July 11, 2016, 02:33:19 am »

Silconous, your opposition skip diver reminds me of irresponsible bottle-collectors and 'relic' hunters - just dive in for the obvious good stuff and to hell with anything else. I am not having a go at those who collect and hunt responsibly, but those who barge in willy-nilly for a platter, for example, and destroy a cup and saucer on the way. Skip diving when done responsibly is excellent recycling and reusing, which is, in IMHO, always a good thing.

Heavens! 100th page already!
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2490 on: July 31, 2016, 07:10:04 pm »

Few bits from Otley car boot

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2491 on: August 20, 2016, 03:24:43 pm »

This thread was closed after reaching 100 pages. It continues at Flea market Finds: Second-hand.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: