The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 11:08:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 238997 times)
Texaspaladin
Gunner

« on: May 31, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »

Well.. it was an eventful day. There's an enormous "flea market" (otherwise known as a "swap meet", or "trade days") about an hour from where I live. When I say enormous... I'm not messing about. Canton Trade Days has been in existence since the late 1800's and covers over 100 acres today.

I'm pretty tapped for cash, with the motorcycle project expenses, but there's almost always something worth picking up if you know where to look. Here's my finds for the day. All for a tad over $20 Smiley

This is actually a mechanical apple peeler. I already have one displayed in my kitchen, so I bought this one as a source for interesting looking interlocking gears and crank handle.

Spoiler: Gears (click to show/hide)

Here's another set, less complete - but still having a nice crank handle and some gears/cogs.

Spoiler: More Gears (click to show/hide)

I'm hoping to build a hand cranked Wimshurst machine soon, and have been looking for an interesting crank handle. I also found instructions online the other day for building a device very similar to edison's first talking machine - that actually works Smiley  I think the gears will find a use one way or another.

Here's the largest find of the day:

Spoiler: Brass Gauge (click to show/hide)

Patent dates range from 1890's to 1903. I like the fact that it has dual gauges, and the brass should clean up nicely. I'm not too fond of the gauge faces themselves, however. I'm thinking about making my own gauge faces, installing a clockwork in the large dial to show the time, a smaller face/works in the smaller gauge to show seconds ticking, and having a pendulum come out the bottom with a brass gear for a pendulum fob. I can rotate the gauge faces so they all face front, and hang the setup on the wall.... dunno yet.

Here's my oddest find of the day. They aren't brass, but they are pretty interesting since the various lenses flip up. Its missing one of the colored lenses. The final set of "lenses" aren't lenses at all, but a sort of "blast shield" solid tin covering that blocks everything out. They aren't usable as is, and are pretty fragile. I'm thinking of displaying them in a display case with other items as a type of map decoding spectacles.... like the multiple colored lense specs in the Nick Cage movie National Treasure.

Spoiler: Goggles 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goggles 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goggles 3 (click to show/hide)

I put them on when I bought them, and told my Wife they were xray specs Smiley

We ended the trip to Canton with a phone call from my Daughter (23), telling us she is pregnant.

Holy crap.... I'm gonna be someones Grandpa?  Shocked

Paladin

Drun0riginal
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »

Those are some intreguing goggles! I especially like the blast shield.

And congrats on being a grampy!
Captain_Minty_Gearhertz
Zeppelin Captain

I can fly anything... Just watch me!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:14 pm »

Goggle envy...

also, many congratulations on impending grandparenthood.

The music is reversable, but time...is not.
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:15:07 pm »

Here's my oddest find of the day. They aren't brass, but they are pretty interesting since the various lenses flip up. Its missing one of the colored lenses. The final set of "lenses" aren't lenses at all, but a sort of "blast shield" solid tin covering that blocks everything out. They aren't usable as is, and are pretty fragile. I'm thinking of displaying them in a display case with other items as a type of map decoding spectacles.... like the multiple colored lense specs in the Nick Cage movie National Treasure.

Spoiler: Goggles 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goggles 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goggles 3 (click to show/hide)

I put them on when I bought them, and told my Wife they were xray specs Smiley

We ended the trip to Canton with a phone call from my Daughter (23), telling us she is pregnant.

Holy crap.... I'm gonna be someones Grandpa?  Shocked

Paladin

Those look like the descriptions I've read for Oddfellow's Initiation goggles.
lostcaggy
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:31:22 pm »

Quote "I also found instructions online the other day for building a device very similar to edison's first talking machine - that actually works"

I'm thinking of something similar, could you share the link you found.
regards
Martin
Texaspaladin
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:34:53 pm »

You, Sir, are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!

I Googled "Oddfellow Goggles".. (heh heh heh.. I googled goggles... snort!) and found a pair exactly like I now have.

http://www.antiquemystique.com/pages/9381_jpg.htm

Many thanks for the info!

Paladin
Texaspaladin
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:36:15 pm »

Quote "I also found instructions online the other day for building a device very similar to edison's first talking machine - that actually works"

I'm thinking of something similar, could you share the link you found.
regards
Martin

Certainly!

http://bizarrelabs.com/phono.htm

Paladin
lostcaggy
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:44:16 pm »

Thanks Smiley
AlexanderTheArcane
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Mage for hire: Demons excorcised. Shit blown up.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:29 am »

Angry Goggle. Envy.

Wink

"I'll show you a wonder!" - Walter O'Dim
Chief Engineer of The Aurelia
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:43 am »

Oh my god! Those goggles are amazing! Grin

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 12:16:47 am »

Ya, I got myself a pair of those Masonic goggles, HOW COOL ARE THEY?! Mine don't have any lenses though..

Also, I hate you all for living in America, where this kinda stuff is under appreciated. Back in Aus, to acquire the items you picked up, I would be paying at least $80, which is why I am so broke right now. I can't wait to go to the US of A with a huge empty suitcase. Imagine the look on the border securities face when they x-ray my items Cheesy

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Texaspaladin
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 01:01:45 am »

Ya, I got myself a pair of those Masonic goggles, HOW COOL ARE THEY?! Mine don't have any lenses though..

Also, I hate you all for living in America, where this kinda stuff is under appreciated. Back in Aus, to acquire the items you picked up, I would be paying at least $80, which is why I am so broke right now. I can't wait to go to the US of A with a huge empty suitcase. Imagine the look on the border securities face when they x-ray my items Cheesy

Want me to rub it in some more?.... There are smaller, but still just as wonderful, flea markets within driving distance of my house on at least three out of four weekends every month Smiley  Come on over to visit soon! There's plenty for everyone.

Paladin
flimflam
Officer

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 04:38:25 am »

nice goggles old man Grin

hola senoro
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 04:56:49 am »

You, Sir, are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!

Naturally, old chap, naturally....

I Googled "Oddfellow Goggles".. (heh heh heh.. I googled goggles... snort!) and found a pair exactly like I now have.

http://www.antiquemystique.com/pages/9381_jpg.htm

Many thanks for the info!

Paladin

Not at all - I merely have access to an inordinately large store of useless knowledge
Prof. Erwin Lindemann
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Inventor of the Galvano- Æther-Telescope

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

The goggles! They are incredible beautyful!

And yes, congratulations, Grampa!
HildeKitten
Deck Hand
Belgium Belgium

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 09:44:15 am »

Congratulations on becoming a grandpa!
Think about it this way, now you can indoctrinate introduce (Wink) the little tyke to Steampunk from day one Cheesy
(just kidding!)

I really like the apple peeler's gears, but it is beyond me how it would actually peel an apple O_o

Those goggles are very very cool!
Tinkerboy
Gunner
Denmark Denmark

steamorama.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 11:11:53 am »

Oh I wish that the Danish fleamarkets wasn't so boring.

Uuuh. Bonus: Actually a flea is called a "loppe" in Danish. And "market" is called "marked". So, our fleamarket is called "loppemarked".

Odd.

ok, here we go. i didnt knew a tinkergirl before i chose my usename. true story.
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 01:48:12 am »

I'm hoping to build a hand cranked Wimshurst machine soon, and have been looking for an interesting crank handle. I also found instructions online the other day for building a device very similar to edison's first talking machine - that actually works Smiley  I think the gears will find a use one way or another.

What's a Wimshurst machine?  Also, congrats!

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Texaspaladin
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 02:04:04 am »

A Wimshurst machine is a simple form of "engine" that generates and discharges static electricity. They can look really beautiful with the right woods and brass bits:

Spoiler: Wimshurst Machine (click to show/hide)

And here's what they look like when they discharge an arc.... very Mad Scientist Smiley

Spoiler: Discharge (click to show/hide)

Note: I didn't build either one of these machines... they are for illustrative purposes only. Hopefully mine will be just a pretty and "sparky"!

Paladin
Andrew Edwards
Officer

Tinkerer and Maker

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 07:16:01 am »

Good finds sir, good finds! And congratulations!

A Wimshurst machine is a simple form of "engine" that generates and discharges static electricity. They can look really beautiful with the right woods and brass bits:

Spoiler: Wimshurst Machine (click to show/hide)

And here's what they look like when they discharge an arc.... very Mad Scientist Smiley

Spoiler: Discharge (click to show/hide)

Note: I didn't build either one of these machines... they are for illustrative purposes only. Hopefully mine will be just a pretty and "sparky"!

Paladin

Also, where might I find one/ the plans to one of these? Quite an interestion contraption.

"You Sir... are a fiddler crab!"
"Balderdash! I am in no way crabby... although I am quite fiddler-ish..."
-Conversation between myself and the inventor of the "crab ray". rather odd day that was.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 07:25:34 am »

Wow, I want all that stuff!

Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 08:06:33 am »

A Wimshurst machine is a simple form of "engine" that generates and discharges static electricity. They can look really beautiful with the right woods and brass bits.

Also, where might I find one/ the plans to one of these? Quite an interestion contraption.

May I suggest this book of joy ?

Homemade Lightning: Creative Experiments in Electricity
by R. A. Ford
ISBN-10: 0071373233
ISBN-13: 978-0071373234

Covers just about every type of static machine going. If you wondered what to do with those old 78s that are too awful to listen too, then this books will bring tears of delight.

Disclaimer: I've only made one of the infernal machines from the book. When I eventually sign up to some online photo repository, pictures will be forthcoming. And a better scanner, 'cause I still use film...

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Reverend Redmond Farrier
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »

I have never tried to build one myself, but I did find this link with instructions for constructing one.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/wimshurst.html

Rev. R. Farrier
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »

Good heavens!  "Antique Fraternal Secret Ceremony Ritual Goggles" ?   Who knew such a wonderful thing existed?  I have avoided jumping on the goggles bandwagon until now... but Ritual Goggles...I must reconsider my eyewear priorities.

Congratulations on becoming a Grandfather!  It is a most exalted state!

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 06:44:50 pm »

My double congratulations to you:with becoming a grandparent and with finding these wonderful items .I really like the pressure gauge and the applepeeler.And of course the goggles ain't bad either...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: