The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:28:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dark Tower  (Read 2004 times)
Crow
Gunner

« on: March 26, 2007, 09:33:53 am »

I know it's not 100% steampunk, but I feel that Stephen King's Dark Tower series has a very steam presence throuught (at least through the 4 books I have read, reason why only 4 later), especially in book 1 The Gunslinger, it has a heavy Wierd West feel.

although I may be completly wrong since it's easy to compare the Dark Tower's world with that of a mad Max movie (Mad max to me is how I define diesilpunk BTW) since it's aparantly a post-apocalyptic world, but as Vincent M. Dantes pointed out in the Trinity Blood topic, it is a future world that has more or less been reverted into a wild west/middle earth type setting, to quote a quote (meaning I don't know the source)

"In the story, Roland is the last living member of a knightly order known as gunslingers. The world he lives in is quite different from our own, yet it bears striking similarities to it. Politically organized along the lines of a feudal society, it shares technological and social characteristics with the American Old West, as well as bearing magical powers and the relics of a highly advanced, but long vanished, society. Roland's quest is to find the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to either be, or be located at, the nexus of all universes. Roland's world is said to have 'moved on,' and indeed it appears to be coming apart at the seams — mighty nations are being torn apart by war, entire cities and regions vanish from the face of the earth without a trace, time does not flow in an orderly fashion; even the sun sometimes rises in the north and sets in the east. As the series opens, Roland's motives, goals, and even his age are unclear, though later installments shed light on these mysteries."

anyway what are your thoughts on the series, even if I'm mistaken and it isn't steamy/wild then at least what was your opinion.

honetly I knew nothing about the series when I picked up the first book, in fact I had never read one of Stephen Kin's works before, honestly it was the art used for the re-issue of the gunslinger that piked my interest, what I saw was a dark clint eastwood type loner in a dusty desert setting with an omonus tower in the background, that image haunted me for months untill I picked up a used copy and I started to read, now I have the first 4 books in the series, and I had a grand time until I got to book 4, it was a LONG flashback, granted I know Roland's past is a subject of interest, but I felt he needed an air of mystery about him, and I havn't read the rest of the series because I've heard some bad reviews, but who knows.. one day I may re-join the quest to find the dark tower
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:44:06 am by Crow » Logged

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
- The Wasteland,T.S. Eliot
phineas sheridan
Snr. Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:03:07 pm »

you should read the rest of the books.
i am currently on the LAST ONE!!!
they get more modern as you go but the first 3-4 are the weirdest
or mebe i don't know
fear the crimson king!!!

d

"It's all about the top-hats and goggles"~Jake Von Slatt
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:34:21 pm »

the crimson king is creepy, but I fear 19 more
phineas sheridan
Snr. Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »

it's amazing to think what i was doing in '99
*shudders*

d
Caine
Gunner
United States United States

Rivetsmith and Astroscavenger

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:15 am »

As a big fan of The Dark Tower this seems like a natural first post to me.

So, as I was re-reading The Drawing of the Three the other day I had a similar thought, however I was thinking more along the lines of: what if Roland found himself in a steampunk society? How would that compare to what he's used to? I think he would fit in world as most of the technology would only be slightly more advanced than what I he was used to in Gilead and some of it even a little behind. So obviously his world shares some similarities with steampunk, but I wouldn't catagorize it as being steampunk.

Now China Mieville, there's some steampunk!

It's like I always say: All extremely intelligent people should be cremated as a matter of public safety.
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:35:25 pm »

Now China Mieville, there's some steampunk!

Definitely. "The Scar" is my favorite, though.

I've been thinking of reading the Dark Tower series for some time, but I haven't done it yet. I'll have to look into it more seriously now, especially since I actually enjoyed the first Stephen King book I read ("Misery," for the curious).

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: