The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 01:22:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linguistic Mastery Thread  (Read 7760 times)
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:38 pm »

Romanian, it's my native language of course. i took that to the level of using several odd words in my daily speech.... then german... i learned that for 16 years now, if you count kindergardenn too..... some might say it is my second language, but i tend to argue, because due to the large english literature and movies i have consumed, i find myself thinking english a lot.... only recently though... perhaps it will pass.... and then, disregarding the criteria...i can have quite decent conversation in italian, because i spent two months there, and because it resembles so much to romanian..... i probably won't starve in france either, nor in hungaria. the last one is because my grandma is hungarian.... i once knew hungarian very well, but i forgot 90 percent of it...... that's about it...

does clockwork dream of wind-up sheep?
Prof. Erwin Lindemann
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Inventor of the Galvano- Æther-Telescope

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »

I speak German (of course), English and Dutch (I think my Dutch is better than my English), enough French to become dangerous. At school I had latin, but I forgot most. I've met very few Romans recently, I wonder why? I've started to learn Arabic, but I gave it up, it is very difficult, I have no time and I don't really need it. I still can read the letters. I also can read the cyrillic and greece alphabet, and ancient runes.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »

Dutch, English, can make myself understandable pretty well in German and can follow conversations, a little French, however reading it is easier, I can read Danish and most of Swedish (used to be able to speak some Danish, but that's half a life time ago). I've had a little bit of Latin in high school, but that's pretty much gone.
Trying to learn some Gaelic.

Yeah, written Danish and Swedish are more or less decipherable.. They have some similarities with Dutch and German. Oh, and Afrikaans of course.. almost forgot.. they got a bunch of funny words but reading a newspaper is no problem.

Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 08:21:05 pm »

Zuid-Afrikaans you mean, like a oortrektrui is a sweater and a stortkappie is a showercap Cheesy I happen to know random words or one or two sentences in many language like Yugoslavian, Surinam, Antillian, Spanish, Hungarian, Zuid-Afrikaans... the joy of living in multi-cultural society, and being part Hungarian Tongue

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 06:44:18 am »

...and being part Hungarian Tongue

Me too! Grin

Jarod20
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Is only a Rumour...

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:03 am »

Ok this killed me today or rather yesterday
I am working in a theater which is performing My Fair Lady.
I hear this kid afterwards talking to his mother about some teacher who makes fun of a student, but the kid himself says it is because " He never bes quiet"
Oh, why can't they teach the students to speak?Huh?

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »

Me too! Grin

Really?  Cheesy My grandmother on mothers side is Hungarian  Cheesy
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:26 pm »

I hear this kid afterwards talking to his mother about some teacher who makes fun of a student, but the kid himself says it is because " He never bes quiet"

I once hear a little kid say "i'm being have"

It's almost painful...

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 04:08:43 pm »

English.

I have no trouble with Lallans (Lowland Scots).

I could survive in French if I needed to.

I speak/read the odd word of Gaelic, German, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Esperanto.

The local high school put on a play set in WWII England which drove me nuts with their pronunciation.  Leicester pronounced Lie kester, Cholmondleigh and Featherstonehaugh pronounced phonetically rather than as "chumley" and "fanshaw"...  I was tempted to give them a pronunciation guide.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Jarod20
Snr. Officer

Is only a Rumour...

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »

I was tempted to give them a pronunciation guide.
Z.

I would have boxed their ears!!
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 08:39:41 pm »

Me too! Grin

It's one generation further removed. My paternal grandmother's mother (my greatgrandmother) was Hungarian. Elizabetha Erny was her name, but I only knew her as Greatgrandma.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »

I was tempted to give them a pronunciation guide.
Z.

I would have boxed their ears!!

I suggest a small fleet of gentlemen attired thusly (only with a nicer tie), in order to fly around to suitably discipline those with a slovenly attitude to their mother tongue!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I count myself as slightly above-average in fluent English, well grounded (ie GCSE and AS level) in French, and increasingly well-learned in Latin (A-level Latinists FTW, I hear you cry).

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Jarod20
Snr. Officer

Is only a Rumour...

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 10:42:43 pm »

I wish we had the same grading standards, not the rude baggage of S.A.T.s
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 02:34:02 am »

This is a very lengthy way to ask, but think of these when you answer,
"What languages do You know"?
American English, the prime form of American English, and some semblance of 'real' English.  I can also translate to and from Canadian in a pinch.  In a crisis, I can translate l337speak into English, though I cannot speak it without the aid of translation software.  When at the summit of Ballmer Peak, I can also speak Perl and C.  I recall bits of Latin, Polish, and Hebrew from my childhood, and I studied Spanish and Japanese for a time.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 05:01:17 am »

WARNING: One-Semester Expert

According to my Linguistics TA, who was studying to become a developmental linguistic pathologist or some such, this behaviour is called "regularization" and is a normal phase in a child's liguistic development, depending on the age of the child. (I'm guessing the child in question was fairly young?)

What happens (AIUI) is this: When a child begins learning to conjugate verbs, he learns each verb in isolation. That is to say, no connection is made between the corresponding conjugate forms of (for instance) "open" and "close" (both regular verbs). At some point, though, the child's brain grabs hold of the pattern which regular verbs follow (open/opens/opening/opened = close/closes/closing/closed) and learns how to conjugate previously-unknown verbs (eg. spill/spills/spilling/spilled, to continue the example).

The problem (which really isn't a problem, per se) is that the kid hasn't yet grokked that there is such a thing as an irregular verb which does not follow this first rule, and so all verbs are conjugated regularly and we hear such abominations as "run/runs/running/runned", "go/goes/going/goed", and "be/bes/being/beed".

I don't recall how long this phase is supposed to last, but I believe it is usually a matter of a few months before the child begins to absorb the more-complex grammar of irregular verbs. Unless the parents are pathologically inarticulate, it will happen, and it will happen when it happens.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 07:10:23 am »

Me too! Grin

subscribe to that!
elShoggotho
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 06:03:51 pm »

Damn, I'm German enough to be rated first-class Aryan. Bleh. Give me mudblood any day!

Native tongue is German, but I'm quite proficient in English.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 07:07:58 pm »

Damn, I'm German enough to be rated first-class Aryan. Bleh. Give me mudblood any day!

Native tongue is German, but I'm quite proficient in English.

I've seen the "Arierausweise" for both of my grandparents weddings. So, as far as those times are concerned, I'm aryan, but I'm not.
Spiffy!
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »

I read this as "Linguistic Mystery Thread".

That sounds like an interesting thread.

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 10:39:30 pm »

I propose a linguistic mystery thread, where each entrant must speak in some obscure language, creole or dialect, to the exclusion of all understanding Smiley Dibs on nadsat Tongue
Miss Adella Carrière
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:07 am »

Um...

Well, I'm only fluent in English, but I know various bits of:

Italian
French
Idonesian
Spanish
German
and I am going to learn Finnish if it kills me.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 09:36:29 am »

and I am going to learn Finnish if it kills me.

But then you'd be Finnished...

I'm sorry. Embarrassed
Miss Adella Carrière
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 10:20:47 am »

Quite alright.

For some reason I wasn't expecting that one  Grin
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:24 am »

By those criteria, English only. I can't include Latin anymore, not that it helps.

I know "tourist level" French and Italian, and can figure out enough German to get away with using German data books for chemistry... but that really doesn't count at all.

Monolingual, and not American, thankyou very much.
The Infamous Red Bixby
Gunner

Sky & Sound Phenomena Extraordinaire

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:02 am »

At least to myself I hold the notion of Mastery over English though I'm sure a Brit could take me down a few notches in that arena.

I took 2 years of French waaay back in high school but I can normally read it okay (or at least pick out the meanings.)

I've taken 3 years of Mandarin Chinese along with a semester spent overseas in Qingdao, China and so for a while I was able to communicate conversationally in Chinese with relative ease. While I do not study it so much anymore, I still tend to use it everyday, peppering my sentences with Chinese words and phrases here and there. While in China, I picked up a few phrases in Korean, Japanese, Thai, German, French, and British English and so I use them to some degree as well.

The projection of power is often much more important than actual power itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: