The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 01:57:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The book that made me like this sort of thing  (Read 1477 times)
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« on: March 25, 2007, 07:44:41 am »

When i was 7 (around, not exactly sure), i got this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789434288/gallifanothekind
It's an eyewitness version of 20,000 leagues under the sea, complete with a two page layout of the nautilus. The whole novel is condensed into a short children's story, with additional info in the sidebars. There were pages full of backround info as well, such as one on Jules Verne and one on modern submarines. That version of the nautilus will forever be my version of the nautilus.

I've always loved this stuff...

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:50:26 pm »

Thats pretty cool.
I have a different thing of 20 000 leagues under the sea. Its pretty old and in bad condition. But it has different things in the side bars explaining what everything means and what not. Its really cool.

one page inside...
*hint* go all the way over to the right

P.S. sorry its so big, I dont know how to make it smaller

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:58:15 am »

I had some similar books - re-written for the junior reader - but not with such wonderful marginal notations. How Flash!

The one that I read over and over again was <em>Journey to the Centre of the Earth</em>.

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:09 am »

DK books are, for my money, some of the best tomes in print today.  Nothing excites me quite like those cutaway pictures with the italic labels  Grin  I had no idea they had a "Classics" line at all, but this rendition of Verne has made it to the top of my wishlist...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: