The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 02:13:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns  (Read 576325 times)
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand
United States United States

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3725 on: April 17, 2011, 05:12:20 am »

Welcome gunslinger, glad your enjoying yourself!

Why thankee sai .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:22:53 am by Gunslinger67 » Logged

.....and the road becomes my bride .
Μολὼν λαβέ
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3726 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »

Pardon if someone has already brought this up, but has anyone looked into the so-called Howda pistols?  They were essentially large-bore, double-barreled, breech-loading blackpowder pistols purchased and carried by British officers in India as personal sidearms - I recall reading an excellent article on them many years ago, and have not seen anything since; they were often bespoke pieces, and highly decorated, very SP.  Anyone?

I've always loved the idea behind the sawed off SxS ( funny how it began about the same time Mad Max was released ) , and the Howdah was a perfect fit .
The movie Ghost In The Darkness with Michael Douglas carrying a similar weapon ( but an even sexier over/under) was another big favorite of mine .

Douglas' character here 'persuading' the labor chief to remain in camp ...... Cheesy

....yeah ....I think I woulda been 'persuaded' as well . Wink

There were several companies that made 'Howdah - styled' pistols  ......a Charles Lancaster , quite pretty and pretty steamy ....

http://spectrum.gregmartinauctions.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=65694

Modern repop , I think homemade ........

Great thread here about loading / shooting the repro Howdahs http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=476994 , with a really cool 70 cal pinfire double as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:37:37 pm by Gunslinger67 » Logged
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3727 on: April 18, 2011, 01:00:31 am »

My dad was cleaning out as mum and dad are moving house, and he found his uncles old Diana air pistol from the UK.

Dad reckons it would be about 80 years old.

Dad gave it to me today and asked me to hand it in at the police station for him, here in Australia you cannot own an air pistol without a special licence and then you need a gun safe to keep it in.

So I handed it in today. Thought I would at least post the picture here in case anyone can tell me the model number and the year it was made.

EGADS MAN! you had an antique air rifle of speculated 80 years and you handed it in?! I would have told the police it was an antique that you discovered in your family's belongings and asked how to apply for a permit to own it. Antique weapons come under a special license for collector's. Not overly hard to obtain one... BLAST!

Well that was pretty much what I told them, and I was given the option of applying for a special permit for a pistol, and as I said there was no real point as you then have to keep it in a gun safe, enough said - I just thought people on the forum may have been interested to see it.

That's a crying shame . Cry

All I can say is God bless America.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3728 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »

My dad was cleaning out as mum and dad are moving house, and he found his uncles old Diana air pistol from the UK.

Dad gave it to me today and asked me to hand it in at the police station for him, here in Australia you cannot own an air pistol without a special licence and then you need a gun safe to keep it in.

So I handed it in today. Thought I would at least post the picture here in case anyone can tell me the model number and the year it was made.

EGADS MAN! you had an antique air rifle of speculated 80 years and you handed it in?! I would have told the police it was an antique that you discovered in your family's belongings and asked how to apply for a permit to own it. Antique weapons come under a special license for collector's. Not overly hard to obtain one... BLAST!

Well that was pretty much what I told them, and I was given the option of applying for a special permit for a pistol, and as I said there was no real point as you then have to keep it in a gun safe, enough said - I just thought people on the forum may have been interested to see it.

That's a crying shame . :'(

Totally different here.

The day I handed that air pistol in at the police station was interesting though.

I walked in carrying the gun in a clear plastic bag so those police folk behind the mirrored glass behind the counter could see it clearly and could see I was not pointing it at anyone. Nevertheless as I walked through the automatic doors I did hear a pronounced 'click' as they locked behind me. So I proceeded to the counter, placed the pistol in the bag on the counter, pushed it under the safety wires and out of my reach and stepped about 3 meters back.

Only then - did a policeman come out of the locked room and approach the counter. He picked up the gun, looked at me, said 'wait there' and disappeared. He returned five minutes later and then took down my details.

I was then allowed to leave.

Welcome to Australia.

(And how come we are up to page 150 in this thread and we have not had to start a Mark Two thread for guns yet?)

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3729 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »

Anyone looking for a good starting point for making their own Steampunk gun could do worse than use one of these hardwood repro Thomson sub machine gun vertical grip. Available for £19.95 (+p&p). A handsome addition to a two handed weapon or a rather  cool looking grip for a hand gun.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Story
Officer

« Reply #3730 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:52 am »

Anyone looking for a good starting point for making their own Steampunk gun could do worse than use one of  these hardwood repro Thomson sub machine gun vertical grip.

That was actually an element of design during the Dieselpunk era (well, our Prohibition), when a gunsmith named Lebman converted 1911 Colt pistols to select fire for a handful of gangsters.

See http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/03/29/colt-m1911-machine-pistols/ for further elaboration.

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
walternator
Gunner

« Reply #3731 on: April 24, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »

Hello All,

I'm new to this thread and i was wondering if anyone knew of any good imitation firearm stores within the UK, specifically ones which might sell old fashioned revolvers and alike.  Huh

~Walternator~

Technically it didn't blow up...
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #3732 on: April 25, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

The young Coglette requested a slug slinger and so I obliged with a sister of my previous submission.  NSFW (NERF specialized firearm warning)
I give you the Sapphire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siblings together
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cheers
Eckermann
Capt Marines
RDC

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #3733 on: April 25, 2011, 03:18:44 pm »

I thought I'd share some of the incarnations of the firearm I've been working up... it started as a demodernization of F.N. Herstal's P90 using the weaponry available at the time:

I then realized that the design of the stock looked a bit 18th Century, and went back to the drawing board using a stock as close to the P90 as possible, and using a smaller revolver, in this case the (considerably more modern) MATEBA Model 6 Unica (aka Autorevolver... I LOVE THIS PISTOL):

and then I came upon the Colt Revolving Rifle Model 1855... which, with some modification, spawned this:

But I'm still pretty attached to the Mateba version... thoughts?

-Jake

I could see one making it so the revolver easily slots out as an option.

I have an old P90 shell laying around, if I get the Mercury Bow finished, how partial would you be to me making my own interpretation?

Obviously I would make it my own, but it would involve a revolver and a P90 shell.

-Jake (also. I think being called Jake automatically makes you a steampunk btw)

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles
Metal surface on a fragile skin.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #3734 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »

That's a crying shame . :'(

Totally different here.

The day I handed that air pistol in at the police station was interesting though.

I walked in carrying the gun in a clear plastic bag so those police folk behind the mirrored glass behind the counter could see it clearly and could see I was not pointing it at anyone. Nevertheless as I walked through the automatic doors I did hear a pronounced 'click' as they locked behind me. So I proceeded to the counter, placed the pistol in the bag on the counter, pushed it under the safety wires and out of my reach and stepped about 3 meters back.

Only then - did a policeman come out of the locked room and approach the counter. He picked up the gun, looked at me, said 'wait there' and disappeared. He returned five minutes later and then took down my details.

I was then allowed to leave.

Welcome to Australia.

(And how come we are up to page 150 in this thread and we have not had to start a Mark Two thread for guns yet?)

No offense, but that's why I could never live in australia. I like my guns.

What do we want? Decapitations!
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3735 on: April 25, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »

*SNIP*
-Jake

I have an old P90 shell laying around, if I get the Mercury Bow finished, how partial would you be to me making my own interpretation?

Obviously I would make it my own, but it would involve a revolver and a P90 shell.

Feel free to do with my idea as you please... except the Mateba version (which would be difficult since there aren't any replicas of the Unica)... that one's mine.  Wink

-Jake (yay, I'm not the only one!)

gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #3736 on: April 25, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

*SNIP*
-Jake

Feel free to do with my idea as you please... except the Mateba version (which would be difficult since there aren't any replicas of the Unica)... that one's mine.  Wink

-Jake (yay, I'm not the only one!)

There are a few famous steampunks also called Jake. Strange really.

I think the last one is my favourite version, with the barrel on the bottom side of the chamber. will probably extend my design from there onwards.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #3737 on: April 25, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

Locking this one up, and starting a new one here:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30440.new.html#new

as it's reached 150 pages.

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150]   Go Up
  Print