The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:59:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns  (Read 584329 times)
Artfagdirtbug
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3700 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:29 pm »

It was a good day to finish off a few projects - so I added the final parts to the 'little silver ray gun that looks like a garden hose' that I have tinkering with.

The fin is cut from aluminium, wire brushed to give it a cast look texture and then lightly sanded.

The finial on the handle is just there to finish the gun for now, if I find a better doo dad with 1/4" thread I can swap it over.

My simple plan is to empty a glow stick into the glass tube each time the gun has an outing.

Update: whilst collecting the rocket pack race numbers this evening, my good friend Mitch gave me some more parts out of old petrol bowsers, including a pointy chrome thing that I knew would look better under the grip than the finial.

It is a little more subtle - the other finial did unbalance the look.

I like how you handled the place where the hose used to connect. The glow stick fluid idea is pretty great too.
Artfagdirtbug
Officer

« Reply #3701 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20:08 am »

Here's my latest pistol. It's my first revolver and it was a pain in the but to make. The idea is that the hammer has been replaced by a bio-electric ignition system. Needlessly over complicated and brick heavy. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3702 on: April 04, 2011, 02:38:50 am »

Here's my latest pistol. It's my first revolver and it was a pain in the but to make. The idea is that the hammer has been replaced by a bio-electric ignition system. Needlessly over complicated and brick heavy. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I must say good sir, I am jealous!

Fabulous piece, just fabulous!

Artfagdirtbug
Officer

« Reply #3703 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:33 am »

I must say good sir, I am jealous!

Fabulous piece, just fabulous!

Thanks Professor. The story is that it was a prototype made for the US Army which was laughed of of the proving grounds for being too complicated for it's own good.
Leadmill
Snr. Officer
England England

British Army liason on HMS Valkyrie

« Reply #3704 on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:50 pm »

Pic of a portion of the Valkyries arsenal at the Kitacon III Steampunk panel.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:14:05 pm by Leadmill » Logged
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #3705 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:04 pm »

Pic of a portion of the Valkyries arsenal at the Kitacon III Steampunk panel.

Very nice selection of weapons, very nice indeed.

elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3706 on: April 05, 2011, 05:48:06 am »

Nice work lads - some very classy pieces!

Leadmill I'd love to see some more af that three barreled rifle you've got there - awesome collection!

I thought I'd post a progress shot of a little cross-bow pistol I've been working on...
It's a loooong way from finished but can be fired.

Since crossbows unobtainable down here I thought I'd do something that looked deadly but was only as lethal as a high-powered nerf.

The bow is made from 2 steel rulers and 2 hacksaw blades bound in washing line cable and then again in twine.  The trigger is a simple bolt that lifts the string when pressed.  Still some work to do and it's a long way from sexy just yet - but I like the look of the bow and it certainly launches those darts!  (standard nerf with a pub dart tail - desperately in need of a paint job!)
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #3707 on: April 08, 2011, 09:41:29 am »

Love the crossbow and with the laws that are coming in it is rather timely.

I can't wait to see the finished product as the current state is quite impressive.

Cheers
Eckermann
Capt Marines
RDC

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3708 on: April 10, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

I thought I'd share some of the incarnations of the firearm I've been working up... it started as a demodernization of F.N. Herstal's P90 using the weaponry available at the time:

I then realized that the design of the stock looked a bit 18th Century, and went back to the drawing board using a stock as close to the P90 as possible, and using a smaller revolver, in this case the (considerably more modern) MATEBA Model 6 Unica (aka Autorevolver... I LOVE THIS PISTOL):

and then I came upon the Colt Revolving Rifle Model 1855... which, with some modification, spawned this:

But I'm still pretty attached to the Mateba version... thoughts?

-Jake

Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3709 on: April 10, 2011, 06:33:52 pm »

I thought I'd share some of the incarnations of the firearm I've been working up... it started as a demodernization of F.N. Herstal's P90 using the weaponry available at the time:

I then realized that the design of the stock looked a bit 18th Century, and went back to the drawing board using a stock as close to the P90 as possible, and using a smaller revolver, in this case the (considerably more modern) MATEBA Model 6 Unica (aka Autorevolver... I LOVE THIS PISTOL):

and then I came upon the Colt Revolving Rifle Model 1855... which, with some modification, spawned this:

But I'm still pretty attached to the Mateba version... thoughts?

-Jake

I like all three designs!

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #3710 on: April 10, 2011, 07:56:14 pm »

Final version wins, IMO.. Smiley

Everett R.I. Krowley, III
Snr. Officer

Federal Bountyhunter and Investigations Agent

« Reply #3711 on: April 10, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

Personally I want that Colt Revolving Rifle version!!  WOW, I dare-say I might have to absco--borrow that design.  credit given where credit due, of course!!
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3712 on: April 10, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »

I was going to see about getting one or two Denix replicas of the Colt Revolving Rifle when I get home and turning them into that (if it grows on me enough) but I can only seem to find online purveyors in the UK and NZ... doesn't help me much. I can't find any replicas (was looking for Airsoft models) of the Mateba Model 6, either, so I guess building that is out, as well...

-Jake
Ocelot
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Gravatar

« Reply #3713 on: April 10, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »

I think they're all great, but agree that the third one is slightly nicer.

"It just...  Sort of...  Came off."
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3714 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:15 pm »

Actually, if you don't mind, I'd like to say that I actually wanna combine the three. lol

Th stock form the first one, combined with the guns position in the second, and the sling from the third.

I love the 1851 Colt Navy Revolver so I'd choose it or the Single Action Army for the gun used in the stock.

Would you mind me trying to make one of these?
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3715 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:06 am »

Actually, if you don't mind, I'd like to say that I actually wanna combine the three. lol

Th stock form the first one, combined with the guns position in the second, and the sling from the third.

I love the 1851 Colt Navy Revolver so I'd choose it or the Single Action Army for the gun used in the stock.

Would you mind me trying to make one of these?

by all means, be my guest!
-Jake
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3716 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:50 pm »

It would be interesting to see how those grips work out. 2 hole pincer grip, with front hole for steadying and some recoil absorption?

One thing, what's the Mateba like for cylinder gap blast? Is it a problem? I was just thinking top edge of the left forearm might catch a bit of blast from that stock design. Probably irrelevant, just a thought.

wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3717 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

It would be interesting to see how those grips work out. 2 hole pincer grip, with front hole for steadying and some recoil absorption?
Yes, that's pretty much the concept...  that front hole provides not only the trigger guard, but also creates a foregrip similar to the one I have on my M4

One thing, what's the Mateba like for cylinder gap blast? Is it a problem? I was just thinking top edge of the left forearm might catch a bit of blast from that stock design. Probably irrelevant, just a thought.
since the Mateba acts like a Automatic pistol, in that it captures the gases and uses them to recock the gun and cycle the cylinder, I would have to say that gap blast is probably negligible.

-Jake
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3718 on: April 12, 2011, 03:18:52 pm »

since the Mateba acts like a Automatic pistol, in that it captures the gases and uses them to recock the gun and cycle the cylinder, I would have to say that gap blast is probably negligible.

-Jake

That's cool, hey pardon my ignorance: Dunblane put pay to any real hands on experience of hand irons (terrible business that, farming uses can be taken care of by low cal or controlled shotguns, high cal, for civvies? Dangerous combination (in the UK anyway)). That said outside the military, in our jolly little island. Handgun = prison, does make the law a little more cut and dry in application terms. That said when it comes to enemies of the state, we have a moat. Helpful.

Considering the cal, 2 hands for aiming purposes, probably not a bad thing. Nice design, finished article should be a blast. I look forward to seeing the  youtubed bench tests.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:34:16 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #3719 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »

Can I ask about the third drawing - the Colt revolving rifle? It looks to me like the hammer aligns with the top chamber of the cylinder but the barrel aligns with the bottom of the cylinder. I like the look of the low barrel but should the hammer also be lower? Sorry if I have got it wrong but handgun law seems to have wiped such knowledge from our national psyche as Clym Angus has implied.

Thanks for posting info on the FN Herstal as well - I think that Herstal was the manufacturer quoted in the Erast Fandorin books, certainly his hand gun was Belgian made. I need to go back and see what it was. I assumed it was a revolver but may have been an early automatic which would make sense of some of the storylines. I now have a cunning idea for a prop gun that is less likely to make me a police marksman target - thanks wrenchhead.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #3720 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:55 am »

Can I ask about the third drawing - the Colt revolving rifle? It looks to me like the hammer aligns with the top chamber of the cylinder but the barrel aligns with the bottom of the cylinder. I like the look of the low barrel but should the hammer also be lower? Sorry if I have got it wrong but handgun law seems to have wiped such knowledge from our national psyche as Clym Angus has implied.

Thanks for posting info on the FN Herstal as well - I think that Herstal was the manufacturer quoted in the Erast Fandorin books, certainly his hand gun was Belgian made. I need to go back and see what it was. I assumed it was a revolver but may have been an early automatic which would make sense of some of the storylines. I now have a cunning idea for a prop gun that is less likely to make me a police marksman target - thanks wrenchhead.
Angus,
you are absolutely correct, and I didn't realize I had made this mistake until after I posted the drawing. The original Colt Revolving Rifle had the barrel aligned with the top of the cylinder, but when I moved it I forgot to move the hammer as well. I was taking some design queues from the Mateba when it came to the bottom-aligned barrel, and failed to take hammer position into account.

As for FN Herstal, their work is closely tied with Mr. Browning's, and still is to this day. The Browning designed M2 .50 cal machine gun, M249 squad automatic weapon and others designed by Browning are still manufactured by FN Herstal today. As a matter of fact, there is even a connection with Colt - since 1991, FN Herstal has been responsible for building most M4 assault rifles for the US military.

-Jake
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3721 on: April 16, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »

Greetings steampunkers ......I'm currently absorbed in this thread , on ( about ) page 50 , and enjoying all of your artistic interpretations and quite ingenious displays of craftsmanship ......and had to quote this post :

I have just returned from the Wanamaker's Arms Show in Tulsa Oklahoma. I'd suggest every steampunk make the trip if at all possible.

Hundreds Thousands of weapons from the Victorian era, from every country that's had an industrial revolution and many that haven't. I saw a top break revolver that had been made by a Philippine blacksmith, apparently with a big file and a soldering iron, and a Japanese shotgun that had been converted from a matchlock. There were hundreds of old flintlocks and percussion guns, tiny pocket pistols, huge blunderbusses, rifles, and revolvers. I even saw three Le Mats.

Swords of all shapes, sizes, and ages. Japanese WWII war relics, Civil War bayonets, bronze age Chinese swords, African ... things that defy description. Also hand made damascus blades and blank bar stock for those who like to role their own.

Granted, mostly there were Colts. Colts as far as the eye can see. Peacemakers, Walkers, Dragoons, Armys, Navys, Police, etc... But the thing that made my day was the Webley-Fosbery I saw, and handled!

And antiques, military and western for the most part obviously, but then that's just perfect for Steampunks isn't it? And the pocket watches... they were many and they were beautiful.

Not to mention the piles of parts that can be used for so many different projects a creative mind may dream up. Plenty of stocks, grips, fiddly mechanical bits, and raw materials to tempt the muse.

Sadly, my camera ran out of power before I had a chance to take more than one photograph (of that Japanese shotgun), but perhaps tomorrow I'll get some more.

PS. If you go, bring your own food or plan to break for lunch. $6.00 for a funnel cake is extortion in my opinion.

PPS. All firearms mentioned above were within the appropriate age requirements of this forum. So don't worry over it please.

.........a very good point made here .
 Gun shows , at usually around $5 -$10 for admission , are a relatively inexpensive way to go shopping for project materials and inspiration  . The Wanamaker show held in Tulsa is one of , if not the largest in the nation , and takes the entire day just to quickly browse her. I lived in Tulsa for a few years and enjoyed it immensely when I could attend . The one last weekend here in Newport , Maine was a fraction of the size , but yet still had plenty to see and wonder at . Dont hesitate to check one out in your area when you can . Wink

Now back to the thread .........

.....and the road becomes my bride .
Μολὼν λαβέ
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3722 on: April 16, 2011, 05:41:47 pm »

This was posted on one of the other forums I frequent. Custom built airguns that are absolutely beautiful and very steamy.

http://www.glbarnes.com/

Patrick

Oh.
My.
God.

Mr. Barnes work is utterly , mouth-wateringly fantastic .....beautiful just doesn't come close to describing that level of work .
Gunslinger67
Deck Hand

Guerrilla Machinist

« Reply #3723 on: April 16, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »

My favorite paintball company is known for its brass guns! Palmer Pursuit Shop in California.
http://palmer-pursuit.com/techpages/gallery.htm

This is the main superstructure of a double-barreled, lever-action, brass paintball marker with wooden stock made by Palmer:

Whole thread with pics: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/palmer-pursuit-shop/75544-meet-ppd315-nasty-lever-painter-tempest-ii-maelstrom.html
They finished it in black but all my guns have raw brass barrels.

Here's a double-barreled, pump-action pirate pistol with wood trim:

More pic links:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/Magparts10/paintball/IMG_5622.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/Milky_Spore/DSCF0152.jpg
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC04741.JPG
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/splattttttt/P1010021.jpg

Couple more with the thread they came from:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/palmer-pursuit-shop/121-pps-pics-10.html

Oh my . . <Homer drool> .  .  .  very sweet .
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3724 on: April 17, 2011, 12:11:09 am »

Welcome gunslinger, glad your enjoying yourself!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: