The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:03:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk/Victorian Taboos  (Read 5964 times)
anomalie
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 04:57:26 pm »

I have, on numerous occasions, allowed myself to be drawn nude... for money!

*le gasp* No shame at all!

Also, I will say Macbeth in theatres, and I'm usually one of the actors. I haven't yet had a chance to say it during a production of it, though. But I do plan to shout it out in the original Globe theatre someday, just because I hate superstitions - especially silly traditional actor superstitions that just make people paranoid (and they sometimes let if attect their performance, guh).
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 11:51:58 pm »

I make my tea in coffee mugs and heat it in the microwave.  How barbaric!  My favorite Victorian taboo is how they weren't allowed to say "pants" or "trousers" or anything like that when ladies were present.  They were "unmentionables."  That's what my mom calls underwear...

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
DeseretRose
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 12:05:26 am »

I read novels.

I also make no use of a wetnurse.  How very lower class of me.
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 12:11:59 am »

Also, I will say Macbeth in theatres, and I'm usually one of the actors. I haven't yet had a chance to say it during a production of it, though. But I do plan to shout it out in the original Globe theatre someday, just because I hate superstitions - especially silly traditional actor superstitions that just make people paranoid (and they sometimes let if attect their performance, guh).

I have a stage actor since I was three.
However this does not stop me shouting "MACBETH!" while in the audience at particularly bad plays. Cheesy

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 12:12:56 am »

I have a stage actor since I was three.
However this does not stop me shouting "MACBETH!" while in the audience at particularly bad plays. Cheesy

Do you keep him in your closet or something?

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 12:49:58 am »

I have always had a weird thing about showing bare ankles. Even when I was an exotic dancer years ago I would always wear boots even when I wasn't wearing much else.

Weird! I worked as a professional Dom for a while, I had one client who would insist on wearing a headscarf as I tied her, spread-eagle, to the wall and spanked her greatly.

I always wondered what her Imam would think of that.

We are a rogueish bunch here, aren't we? Wink

Oh I don't know if I'd say that much- I've never even worn makeup!

Also, on topic: I once got paid money to do bad things to women. If that's not polite dinner conversation, you need better company.

edit- oh fer chrissakes, the top of the next page?! Really?!

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:17 am »

That is certainly an interesting mental image!

Prof. Edward Penrose
Officer
Chile Chile

Mobilis In Mobile

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 03:56:07 am »

Victorian Taboo: A gentleman removing his jacket and his waistcoat in front of the ladies.

Steampunk Taboo: Make a mention of this ... person.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 03:59:01 am by Prof. Edward Penrose » Logged

H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 05:08:43 am »

I used to have a rather bad cursing problem, but have worked very hard in the last few years to curb it, to almost complete success. It seems to me that if one is going to curse one might as well be imaginative with it, and relying on the same old four letter words reflects a lack of creativity.

I found that having children was a wonderful way to unlearn "typical" cursing and become inventive - not that my offspring would be harmed by mere words, but little pitchers have big ears, and the repetition of some phrases in the classroom leads to dreadfully dreary conferences with educational staff; yet no teacher has ever complained when a loud "Blast!" is uttered.

[edit]  How appropriate - I notice that I'm ranked "Gunner" in a post with "Blast"....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:12:41 am by H. MacHinery » Logged
anomalie
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 07:36:18 am »

I have always had a weird thing about showing bare ankles. Even when I was an exotic dancer years ago I would always wear boots even when I wasn't wearing much else.

Weird! I worked as a professional Dom for a while, I had one client who would insist on wearing a headscarf as I tied her, spread-eagle, to the wall and spanked her greatly.

I always wondered what her Imam would think of that.

Oh! That is scandalously kinky.

Just curious - how does one even become a professional Dom? And there's not actual sex involved in that, is there? Just different kinds of play for sexual reasons? (I have never encountered anyone who was - many people who are in their personal lives but never professional. And even then, they were usually female). I'm sure the interview process would be interesting. :p (and no, I am not asking because I'd like to try haha)

Apologies if I'm too bold to ask! Sometimes I'm too open. I am honestly just really curious in bdsm culture or other things textbooks like to call "alterrrnative sexuality". I swear, if I didn't go into theatre I could have been a sex therapist or something. :p But yes, feel free to pm me if you'd prefer, or ignore me altogether hehe.

Hey there's another Victorian taboo right there... I openly engage in "bedroom talk" (intellectually, but still). Which really shouldn't even be spoken about in the bedroom! Goodness! Turn the lights out!
Bigglesworth
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ace pilot and adventurer.

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 12:01:51 pm »

I remove my socks before going to bed!  Shocked

Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 12:13:34 pm »

GASP!

Actually, that's one of those very strange things that have gone from being normal to a little odd or quaint. The other one is handkerchieves; in this modern age of paper tissues, people surprisingly often actually comment when I pull out a hanky.

Also, it has already been said, but I guess I have to say it. Not only do I wear trousers, but I often show my ankles and even -- oh, cover your ears, those who are affected by such scandals -- my knees.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:15:54 pm by Flynn MacCallister » Logged
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 03:19:30 pm »

Just curious - how does one even become a professional Dom? And there's not actual sex involved in that, is there? Just different kinds of play for sexual reasons? (I have never encountered anyone who was - many people who are in their personal lives but never professional. And even then, they were usually female). I'm sure the interview process would be interesting. :p (and no, I am not asking because I'd like to try haha)

I fell into it mostly by complete accident. I was at this place down in Connecticut, and they had a bondage night. One woman was tied up to a St. Andrew's cross, and the guy flogging her offered me the cane.

After that it was sort of a "Hey you should call this person", "This is a friend of a friend" sort of thing.

The specifics on what a pro-dom actually does really depends on who you ask. I didn't have sex with any (er, most) of my clients, since I'm not a prostitute, but some would. It's really hard to say something like "Most pro-doms do X" since they're just such a colorful bunch.

Apologies if I'm too bold to ask! Sometimes I'm too open. I am honestly just really curious in bdsm culture or other things textbooks like to call "alterrrnative sexuality". I swear, if I didn't go into theatre I could have been a sex therapist or something. :p But yes, feel free to pm me if you'd prefer, or ignore me altogether hehe.

Hey there's another Victorian taboo right there... I openly engage in "bedroom talk" (intellectually, but still). Which really shouldn't even be spoken about in the bedroom! Goodness! Turn the lights out!

No, seriously, stay out. That subculture is like Baskin Robbins, 31 colors of crazy, and none of them are delicious. It's a nightmarish wasteland of psychological neuroses and insecurities the degrees of which would give Freud a hate aneurysm. Heinrich Himmler would have been shocked at some of the shit that happens behind closed doors at those conventions.

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 03:59:50 pm »

Well I WAS going to post about how I am scandalously and openly living in sin with a man i'm not married to* but that feels a bit tame now (and i'm damn' sure we're not the only ones on here with that domestic arrangement either). But it was enough to get one woman condemned in The Crucible.

By the by, they're not 'trousers' ladies, they're 'rational dress'. It shows we're forward-thinking and liberated women cabable of making our own decisions. And good grief, if that wasn't a taboo, i don't know what is!

*Yet.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/alphamummy/2008/04/was-your-weddin.html

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
anomalie
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »

I fell into it mostly by complete accident. I was at this place down in Connecticut, and they had a bondage night. One woman was tied up to a St. Andrew's cross, and the guy flogging her offered me the cane.

After that it was sort of a "Hey you should call this person", "This is a friend of a friend" sort of thing.

The specifics on what a pro-dom actually does really depends on who you ask. I didn't have sex with any (er, most) of my clients, since I'm not a prostitute, but some would. It's really hard to say something like "Most pro-doms do X" since they're just such a colorful bunch.

No, seriously, stay out. That subculture is like Baskin Robbins, 31 colors of crazy, and none of them are delicious. It's a nightmarish wasteland of psychological neuroses and insecurities the degrees of which would give Freud a hate aneurysm. Heinrich Himmler would have been shocked at some of the shit that happens behind closed doors at those conventions.

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Haha did you break a rule or just start seeing a client? :p (j/k)

Oh, I'll not be attending any conventions. Personally, it's a little too extreme for me, but I am still curious as to what it's all about. But I think I'd rather peek in the window and go "hmm" than actually try a lot of the kinks or go to a rubber ball. Kinky things will happen only in privacy for me. :p And they won't be THAT kinky.

But thanks for the response!
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 06:16:49 pm »

[
We are a rogueish bunch here, aren't we? Wink

Oh I don't know if I'd say that much- I've never even worn makeup!

It is true that the only difference between rogue and rouge is the placement of the letter "g"; however, if you look closely at my original post, you will see that it was never my intention to suggest that the worthy members of this forum actually...paint their faces, as such a suggestion would simply be <ahem> beyond the pale.

Proper spelling is indeed crucial - a gentleman's honor may depend on it!

Regards,
Mrs. S.

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 06:35:07 pm »

...bestiality involving air-kraken. I guess it's a safe bet it's on the steampunk taboo list.

CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 06:37:18 pm »

Haha did you break a rule or just start seeing a client? :p (j/k)

*cough*

Oh, I'll not be attending any conventions. Personally, it's a little too extreme for me, but I am still curious as to what it's all about. But I think I'd rather peek in the window and go "hmm" than actually try a lot of the kinks or go to a rubber ball. Kinky things will happen only in privacy for me. :p And they won't be THAT kinky.

But thanks for the response!

Oh, the conventions really aren't as bad as you'd think. Mostly I enjoy going for the spectacle of it all. Think of it like sight-seeing, except instead of 200+ ruins, it's an 80 year old woman riding her 60 year old husband around like a pony, whipping him with a section of preserved rose-vine.

Provided you have a press pass and their permission, the photo opportunities are unparalleled.

It is true that the only difference between rogue and rouge is the placement of the letter "g"; however, if you look closely at my original post, you will see that it was never my intention to suggest that the worthy members of this forum actually...paint their faces, as such a suggestion would simply be <ahem> beyond the pale.

Proper spelling is indeed crucial - a gentleman's honor may depend on it!

Regards,
Mrs. S.

I think we are runing like cheap mascara with such boldfaced punnery as this.
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 03:04:07 am »

You were not supposed to wear makeup, though I don't know about nailpolish.  Tattoos were a Bozo no-no.  If a girl had short hair, it meant she'd been sick--no one would purposefully lose their crowning glory!

As to language, I don't swear, per se, but I say a lot of odd things like "crudbuckets!" and "craptastic!"  I doubt that would have gone over well.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 08:19:49 am »

You were not supposed to wear makeup, though I don't know about nailpolish.  Tattoos were a Bozo no-no.  If a girl had short hair, it meant she'd been sick--no one would purposefully lose their crowning glory!

Concoctions to make the nails shiny were par for the course I believe, but *coloured* nails didn't appear until the 1920's/30's with the influence of Turkey, Middle East etc.

I did read an account of Edwardian ladies visiting tattooists in order to be permanently 'rouged'. I dread to think what a risk that would've been, I wouldn't do in to today's well-regulated world. But then, this was an age where ladies would inject PARAFIN into their foreheads to smooth wrinkles... which worked temporarily, until you sat too close to the fire and it melted!
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:08 am »

I find this particularly instructive.

Let it be a lesson to us all.

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Matt_Splicer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2008, 01:30:54 pm »

Not standing bolt upright to the national anthem. Not toasting the queen before the meal in the mess commences and failing to salute her portrait.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

projects started:18, ray guns: 12,  costumes: 3
other: 3

completed: tbc
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2008, 03:15:52 pm »

Oh hush, you. I'm sure Satan will do a perfectly adequate job of that.
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2008, 10:11:30 pm »

I did read an account of Edwardian ladies visiting tattooists in order to be permanently 'rouged'. I dread to think what a risk that would've been, I wouldn't do in to today's well-regulated world. But then, this was an age where ladies would inject PARAFIN into their foreheads to smooth wrinkles... which worked temporarily, until you sat too close to the fire and it melted!

It was also thought rather common to have a tanned completion, some even went as far as applying Arsenic in a vinegar solution to gain a pasty completion.

Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:20 pm »

Anything that causes people to mutter "Bad show, awfully bad show!" under their breaths/moustaches.

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: