The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:41:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fighting like a Steam Punk  (Read 38109 times)
Mad Maudlin
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Defenestratrix

« Reply #550 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »

"The Wandering Toaist"
I thought that said "The Wandering Toast"...

To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a ‘sexy clockwork automaton’ costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I’m going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #551 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:45 pm »

That story does sound awfully familiar!   Cheesy

Not that its an uncommon tale.  You wouldn't happen to remember the style of kung fu practiced by Qwan Sai Hung?

Well, he was trained in several styles at the Temple but his favorite style was Tai Chi.  Little known that Tai Chi is more than just slow motion poses and such and is actually a very good combat art.

Indeed. I´ve been practicing Practical/Wudang Tai Chi Chuan for some years now, and I can most certainly agree and testify as to the wonderfully nasty fighting techniques hidden withing the movements of the slow-motion forms.
SoulScream
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Mistress Of Black Steam

« Reply #552 on: August 13, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »

A friend posted this charming little video this morning. Stick fighting!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putting the "punk" into Steampunk.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #553 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:36 pm »

Oh, yes!
I should get with a few folks and film my style's cane form like that.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Feersum Endjinn
Officer

« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2010, 03:00:43 am »

Oh, yes!
I should get with a few folks and film my style's cane form like that.

The adult class at my school started using canes a few years ago.  We have a series of
self defense techniques, adopted from Hapkido I think, but we have no forms.  I would
love to see a video of a cane form.
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #555 on: August 25, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »

I have a bit of a problem with some of the videos that I have seen of reconstructed victorian stick fighting, in so much as they show a pair of opponents, each armed with a cane, and employing identical techniques. In effect, sword fighting with canes.
Whilst all of the original works I have read on the subject touch on cane V cane technique, they all recognise the fact that in a real life situation, an attacker is more likly to be using a cudgel or a club, or even a staff or a knife.
The waters are often mudded by the fact that in the articles, the photographs often show two opponents armed with matching walking sticks, but the text makes it clear that in one situation the stick reprisents a heavy cudgel, and in another, an "Unreliable Cane", and that for each situation, a different technique is employed.

Anyone with an interest in Bartitsu should take a look at

Self-defence with a Walking-stick: The Different Methods of Defending Oneself with a Walking-Stick or Umbrella when Attacked under Unequal Conditions (Part 1)
By E.W. Barton-Wright

AND

Self-defence with a Walking-stick: The Different Methods of Defending Oneself with a Walking-Stick or Umbrella when Attacked under Unequal Conditions (Part 2)
By E.W. Barton-Wright

Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »

I take my hand-to-hand fighting from Universal's monster movies- choking, clawing, biting.  As for weapons, anything that I can get my hands on, and I also use my hard plastic pith helmet made by midwest helmets for a chakram.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #557 on: October 17, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

Yeah, like this:

Frankie laine - Bowie knife.mp4

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #558 on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:26 pm »

There's a martial arts group near here, which has begun giving lessons in savate. They have a rather charming old-fashioned poster advertising it, but sadly I can't share it here.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: