The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:34:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fighting like a Steam Punk  (Read 38503 times)
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2010, 04:16:14 pm »

Any conversation about martial arts, wherein the participants are unable or unwilling to "give it a go" at some point and try knocking the crap out of each other, will inevitably get stupid, pedantic, petulant, or unrealistic.  Or a combination.  Sooner or later you've got to put the rubber on the road, or its all just hot air.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #526 on: August 09, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »

Of all the martial arts I've encountered I think the best one is boxing.
I've seen many a kung-fu wannabe get toppled by a swift 1-2-3 into the face and sternum from a boxer.

Boxing also has a good deal of taking punches in it, so you learn that side of things too.

I have never done boxing – but I do with I had tried it when younger as I think it's a damned good grounding for any other fighting style you move too.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #527 on: August 09, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

I've seen many a kung-fu wannabe get toppled by a swift 1-2-3 into the face and sternum from a boxer.

Well, a wannabe of a given art art will always be beaten by a "real" practitioner of any other art; As far as I´m concerned,
it´s less about the art/style, and more about the individual
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #528 on: August 09, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

quote the Bruce, "there is no superior martial art, only superior martial artists".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2010, 09:40:14 am »

Tonfas.. they just seem to scream steampunk to me.. I'm just thinking copper pipes and some pipe fittings though!

Tonfa Kata
Tonfa History and Selection

wow... its stylized nightstick fighting...

Technically, it's the other way around; nightstick fighting is simplified tonfa fighting, given that nightsticks are based on tonfa after all.

Interestingly, tonfa, along with a number of other weapons, started out as tools, since a) it was what they had and b) carrying obvious weaponry can get you into trouble but the same can't be said for the tools of your trade. I'd imagine that both points would still apply in a steampunk universe, only there'd be a different selection of potential improvised weaponry, e.g. walking sticks, wrenches, screwdrivers, boots (kick someone when you're wearing hobnailed boots with toecaps and they're really going to know about it), random bits of pipe, ect.

Do I remember correctly that the 'original ' Tonfa were plough handles?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #530 on: August 10, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »

Close; grist millstone handles, according to Okinawan tradition.  The Chinese say they were developed from a crutch. 

Clearly, a peasant weapon any way you slice it (which you can't, if you're a peasant who can't afford metal.)   Wink
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #531 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:19 pm »

Close; grist millstone handles, according to Okinawan tradition.  The Chinese say they were developed from a crutch. 

Clearly, a peasant weapon any way you slice it (which you can't, if you're a peasant who can't afford metal.)   Wink

ahhhh thanks for clearing that up Smiley
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #532 on: August 10, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »

ahhhh thanks for clearing that up Smiley

yuppers... and chucks were flails for beating grain, sai/jutte where impliments for digging furrows to plant seeds.  The Okinawans were absolutely brilliant at adapting farm tools for combat.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #533 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:47 pm »

Brilliant only out of necessity.  While these tools are great against an unarmed opponent, or armed in the hands of a very skilled user, I'm confident that the old masters would have greatly preferred "real weapons," made specifically for the task.  These are useful expedients for those without access (either due to law or poverty) to better weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I love stick fighting, mostly because I never seem to have my sword handy when I need it but broom handles are all over the place.  But given the pick of the litter I'd take something long and sharp.
M.
Deck Hand

Mage and Occultist

« Reply #534 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »

My favorite martial art is judo.  Studied it as a young teen.  Loved it. 

If only I had the money to go back to marital arts and could find a proper dojo, not something geared only for kids that also rents out their space for birthday parties.
SoulScream
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Mistress Of Black Steam

« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2010, 08:04:32 am »

Currently learning with a local school (My ex is one of the instructors. Fun.) that teaches knife fighting, single stick, boxing, traditional wrestling, longsword and fencing. It's loads of fun, I recommend any of those styles if there are classes near you. (for those in Vancouver, look for Scatha Combat Guild.)

Putting the "punk" into Steampunk.
Amos Farrier
Gunner

Tailcoats aren't just for evenings!

« Reply #536 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:57 am »

I know it doesn't really classify as a martial art because it's a sport but the first thing i think of in terms of fighting within steampunk is fencing. In terms of hand-hand i always think Savate (french martial art). Those are just my thoughts anyway.
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #537 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:44 pm »

I know it doesn't really classify as a martial art because it's a sport but the first thing i think of in terms of fighting within steampunk is fencing. In terms of hand-hand i always think Savate (french martial art). Those are just my thoughts anyway.

Whilst the dominant sword for warfare was the sabre, a swordstick had a blade that was narrow and point dominant. So Smallsword/foil techniques would be useful if armed with this weapon.
Also, I believe that Barton-Wright incorporated elements of Savate into his own Bartitsu.
SoulScream
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Mistress Of Black Steam

« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2010, 03:26:37 am »

Fencing WAS a proper form of fighting. Before the french got ahold of it. Stupid foils.... Tongue
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #539 on: August 12, 2010, 03:51:36 am »

"Of all the martial arts I've encountered I think the best one is boxing. I've seen many a kung-fu wannabe get toppled by a swift 1-2-3 into the face and sternum from a boxer."

You also hit people in kung fu you know. Personally I feel just hitting people with your fists seems like a waste. I´d rather go for something like muay thai where you also use feet and elbows.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Amos Farrier
Gunner

Tailcoats aren't just for evenings!

« Reply #540 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:55 am »

Fencing WAS a proper form of fighting. Before the french got ahold of it. Stupid foils.... Tongue
LOl yea you could say that. I meant rapier fencing possibly with the main gauche. I also noticed a steampunk foil on here somewhere (can't remember where) which i thought was pretty cool.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »

"Of all the martial arts I've encountered I think the best one is boxing. I've seen many a kung-fu wannabe get toppled by a swift 1-2-3 into the face and sternum from a boxer."

You also hit people in kung fu you know...

I was gonna just let it ride, but what the hell.  Not talking smack, just throwing out there that my sifu (kung fu instructor) was also a state Golden Gloves champ in his youth.  We box all the time (among other things).
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »

I love pretty much all martial arts, and think they're all worth studying.  But I'm a typical American martial arts geek who read Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do when I was like 12.  Everything has value, every individual is going to have fingerprint-specific strengths and weaknesses, so take what works for ya and discard what doesn't.

I love boxing.  LOVE it.  My father was an amateur boxer, and bought me a pair of little gloves and started teaching me before I was four years old!  Wow, kinda blows my mind even thinking about that...'corruption of the youth' or something!  Wink

However, as far as street-practical fisticuffs is concerned, modern Marquess of Queensbury Rules (gloved) boxing has some real shortcomings.  Gloves changed the game dramatically.  I'm not going to go into a whole grip of specifics right now, but SO MUCH of gloved-boxing technique teaches pretty bad habits once the gloves are off.

If anyone is interested in street-practical boxing, that is bare-knuckle boxing, I posted some vids on this thread awhile back, and I would also recommend doing some real digging and finding books on boxing written before about 1940.  Among my collection I have a pretty good book from '33 I believe, before the techniques evolved to take advantage of the gloves.
It still talks about defensive techniques that will break an opponent's hand (eliminated when gloves took over), intercepting blows (near-eliminated when the hand-pillows allow for near-static defense), and nerve-point strikes (much less stress is put on this when gloves disperse impact).  Also stresses striking techniques that won't damage the striking hand or wrist, which is near unnecessary with gloves and hand-wraps on.

Perhaps not surprisingly, much of traditional Western Bare-Knuckle boxing resembles arts like Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun, at least superficially.

And, just saying....Bare-knuckle boxing techniques are properly Steampunk.  It was very popular during the Victorian and Edwardian eras, Doyle mentioned that Holmes was a boxer more than once, it was taught as part of the curriculum by Barton, etc. etc.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »

You also hit people in kung fu you know...

I was gonna just let it ride, but what the hell.  Not talking smack, just throwing out there that my sifu (kung fu instructor) was also a state Golden Gloves champ in his youth.  We box all the time (among other things).

hmmm.. out of curiousity, was there a book written about your sifu?
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #544 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »

No, but if that reminded you of a book, I'd love to know the title.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #545 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »

No, but if that reminded you of a book, I'd love to know the title.

"The Wandering Toaist"

can't remember but the author but he was a student of one Qwan Sai Hung, who grew up in a Toaist Temple in China just before the Commies took over.  He fled to the US and settled in SF, where, he was a Gold Gloves champ amongst other things.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #546 on: August 12, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »

That story does sound awfully familiar!   Cheesy

Not that its an uncommon tale.  You wouldn't happen to remember the style of kung fu practiced by Qwan Sai Hung?
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #547 on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »

Not that its an uncommon tale.  You wouldn't happen to remember the style of kung fu practiced by Qwan Sai Hung?

Well, he was trained in several styles at the Temple but his favorite style was Tai Chi.  Little known that Tai Chi is more than just slow motion poses and such and is actually a very good combat art.
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Bastard Man powers, activate! Form of Freud!

« Reply #548 on: August 12, 2010, 09:10:05 pm »

Well, he was trained in several styles at the Temple but his favorite style was Tai Chi.  Little known that Tai Chi is more than just slow motion poses and such and is actually a very good combat art.

Particularly 'strong' and typically linear in its movements, if I have understood correctly. Of other variants of the Chinese fighting styles the one that most resembles it, at least apparently, seems to be Xingyiquan, which is possibly the 'hardest' style there is, even more so than the classic Long Fist.

Either way, say what you want about boxing, but if there is one thing that it is good for then it is toughening, simply because it is such an inefficient fighting style and will lead to any practitioner developing a tolerance to the beatings he or she is inevitably going to take. Of course, it depends on your natural strengths and on whether if you're an out- or in-boxer, but between a champion Kung Fu fighter and a champion boxer, there is likely to be a significant difference, if not in stamina then in endurance, in favor of the boxer. Still...

'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #549 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:15 pm »

as another foot note, it seems that there are a number of Toaist Monks who escaped to the US around this time, with very similar stories to Qwan Sai Hung, and when one was contacted about the book for Sai Hung he stated, "Oh, he just got his written first".
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: